Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

it's probably closer to more deaths than all wars in american history added together now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

if only covid would burn down the fuckin' south

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

osprey posted:

they tried to switch to weekly updates but it didn't really work out for them. now we're back to getting sorta daily updates, sometimes it's every 2-3 days

they also changed how they're reporting deaths, to muddy the waters even further

https://twitter.com/SunSentinel/status/1426296037518585863

(non paywall link)

along with poo poo like going back and quietly revising previous numbers, announcing updates late at night after all the olds have turned off the news and gone to bed, completely eliminating their own official covid dashboard site, etc

basically just totally loving around making everything as confusing and unclear as they possibly can

yeah they changed their deaths reporting so that it is always, by construction, going to look like it is decreasing in the very last 5 days. it will always look like it is rounding the corner and deaths are dropping off phew but they aren't.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

three feet

Iverron
May 13, 2012

parents about to super spread in every local suck n gently caress they can squeeze into

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

Start denying care to the unvaccinated who were eligible and just didn't do it. You're rationing anyway, at least make it as fair as you can.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Animal-Mother posted:

The Covid Belt?

The Infertile Crescent?

the path I’m hoping the next cat 5 will take

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Gio posted:

three feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2bIIYUQ0Q

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

mod sassinator posted:

ahh yep looks like they had 1071 deaths this week

i guess give it 2-3 weeks and they'll be hitting that in a day

oh alright so that was weekly. oops, sorry

(see what i mean? it's intentionally confusing)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gio posted:

three feet

instead of coming up with modifications to at-home quarantine learning that might have actually worked and not been a chaotic deadly failure, school administrations and lawmakers have spent 18 months rules-lawyering against a virus that maybe 3ft spacing between kids is okay (so that we can fit 20 in a classroom) and if being maskless is a constitutional right and so now we just have a chaotic deadly failure. good work everyone

coke
Jul 12, 2009
still catching up to the thread but

Helith posted:

That’s good, you’ll have loads of time to :justpost: here
there’s another poster doing quarantine in NZ right now, coke I think, you could share tips.

literally :justpost:

i got some workout video on the lappy and brought a longish hdmi cable with all the necessary power/plug adapters so i can either just chill in the bed and watch stuff on laptop or posting at a smallish desk
lol that they gave us so much food that i had to force myself to workout

also the logitech triathlon mouse and a small bluetooth remote (like this) is pretty great for media playback

still in quarantine but will be out soon!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Real Mean Queen posted:

Today's my 250th consecutive day of doing spanish lessons on duolingo, that's kind of cool. My spanish isn't a lot better than it was, but I'm starting to get some of the basic ideas down. It's not much, but I'm kind of proud of myself.

I took 4 years of spanish and one thing that makes a huge difference is just like watching TV in spanish. Like if you have a favorite movie or tv show or whatever, see if you can throw it into spanish and maybe english subtitles and eventually drop the english subtitles.

But don't do what I did once while I was practicing italian and watch Narcos with the english in Italian and spanish still in spanish because holy gently caress that broke my brain for about a week.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Stereotype posted:

One think I hate thinking about is that we probably could have eliminated the virus entirely if we had locked down in June.

Daily New Cases in USA

look at how low we got it! there was barely any left! The vaccine had given the maximum amount of resistance it was going too, kids weren't at school, and there aren't any holidays in June. If we were like "lets loving buckle down and finish this poo poo, then we can celebrate like crazy on the 4th of July" and actually did contact tracing and every NPI we could think of it would be gone.

we could have done it

maybe next year

not true, we’d import a case and we’d be back in the game

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

fosborb posted:

same parents werent making their kids practice their sight words either

again, kids totally fell behind in the knowledge formally taught in school and that knowledge is still obviously important, but kids also learned a lot of things they don't normally get to learn, for better or worse, and if we pretend like all of last year was just lost time that didn't happen we are going lose all of that, too.

and put unjust and unfair pressure on these children if we act like "this is where children Should Be at grade 4" rather than "these are the skills the children I have have now, and this is what I hope to teach them in the time I have them." and that's what good teachers do anyway, but part of open biden is absolutely going to be a return to normal with standardized tests and teachers are going to feel that and so will their students

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Maybe with kids kind of being all over the place for education, we will finally loving can NCLB and standardized testing and actually loving let teachers do their thing again.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

Today's my 250th consecutive day of doing spanish lessons on duolingo, that's kind of cool. My spanish isn't a lot better than it was, but I'm starting to get some of the basic ideas down. It's not much, but I'm kind of proud of myself.

I've been trying to relearn spanish from my youth - and in 2019 this totally skyrocketed my progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OZbL91GXGI

Incredible method of bridging english -> spanish, breaks down the language well, and I felt more confident with the grammar than most people coming out of an in person course. 5-10 minute lessons you can do once a day. You can download the MP3s for free from his site as well.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
biden wouldn't even cancel standardized tests last year. it loving sucked.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Maybe with kids kind of being all over the place for education, we will finally loving can NCLB and standardized testing and actually loving let teachers do their thing again.

haha

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao I was looking up Biden's vote on NCLB and found this gem from the 2008 VP debate

quote:

NCLB needs more resources, but also is fundamentally flawed
Q: What do you plan to do about No Child Left Behind? Do you believe that this issue is simply one of never having provided the resources to carry out the original mission of the program or are there other fundamental flaws inherent in a program with so much emphasis on teaching to the test?
A: Both. I sleep with a teacher every night -- my wife. She taught high school -- had three remedial classes and two advanced classes. Those kids in the remedial class went from sixth grade to 10th grade, and they were still penalized. Those kids in the advanced class, she didn’t have to do a thing with. They passed the test. There is something fundamentally wrong with it. And we’ve underfunded it by about $70 billion. We know the problem:

Classrooms are too big; we need smaller classrooms, period.
A lot of teachers are going to be retiring. We need a program where we attract the best and brightest students coming out of our colleges to be teachers, and pay them.

BTW Joe Biden did vote for NCLB

Wild how he's talking about how they need more money for it and now that he's president he's done dick all to fix it still.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I can't believe this guy is willing to go this far and lie this much just to make tr...er..i mean biden look bad

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so for the covid testing, if I'm having symptoms now, I get the pcr test, but if they had previously happened I get the antibody test?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

So while I have the thing a lot of the long haulers have, I didn't get it from Covid. POTS is an autonomic disorder that gets brought on by trauma to the body in some way - surgery, childbirth, accidents, infections, a whole bunch of stuff. So what the longhaulers are running into, where they get infected and then recover and test negative, but still have super rough symptoms without any indicators of illness - a lot of that is POTS, specifically brain fog and fainting and nausea and GI stuff and orthostatic intolerance, but it manifests in a bunch of ways. There are longterm complications from covid that aren't POTS, but POTS is one of the main ones that covid longhaulers get.

I got sick in January 2018. Didn't get a diagnosis until end of 2019. Things have improved, but my life will never look close to the same as it did. I had to leave the career I trained for and worked in for close to 15 years, and haven't held a steady job since I got sick. I'm 32 years old now, and prior to this was in otherwise pretty solid health.

gently caress. That's.....I dunno, just saying "tragic" feels like a huge understatement and disservice to what you and your family have been through.

Jesus, seeing privileged ignoranct folks say "learn to live with covid" must be especially infuriating to you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I think I might have covid balls.

P much all my other symptoms are cleared, but my sack is stupid toasty.

:rip: me/my balls

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

I can't believe this guy is willing to go this far and lie this much just to make tr...er..i mean biden look bad

yeah why do people love lockdowns so much. they just love being tyrants i guess!!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

silicone thrills posted:

I took 4 years of spanish and one thing that makes a huge difference is just like watching TV in spanish. Like if you have a favorite movie or tv show or whatever, see if you can throw it into spanish and maybe english subtitles and eventually drop the english subtitles.

But don't do what I did once while I was practicing italian and watch Narcos with the english in Italian and spanish still in spanish because holy gently caress that broke my brain for about a week.

watching speedrun streams in Spanish got me up to fluency a couple years ago

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I think I might have covid balls.

P much all my other symptoms are cleared, but my sack is stupid toasty.

:rip: me/my balls

sorry about your cooked balls

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Edit: Meant to edit into the prior one, oh well, bonus catte tax.

Goodnite goons

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

well at least they won't have to endure the trauma of remote school or mask wearing

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:swoon:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

we should open biden. having schools open is so important. we have to open biden more

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Oh yeah this language transfer stuff seems extremely powerful, thanks. Hearing some people just sort of talk and think about stuff would help a lot instead of trying to figure out what the computer wants me to do

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

crepeface posted:

#OpenUpPlaylist brought to you by #CocaCola
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmmtT55uu_o

lmao

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Nowaybaby

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

http://www.english.shamshadnews.com/index.php/afghanistan/77-news/1973-taliban-banned-using-of-covid-19-vaccines-in-paktia

quote:

Taliban Banned Using of COVID-19 Vaccines in Paktia

The armed Taliban banned COVID-19 vaccines in the Paktia regional hospital, provincial Public Health Director, Walayat Khan Ahmadzai said.

According to Ahmadzai, the COVID-19 vaccine ward is closed for the last three days, and the clients are told that the vaccine has been banned.

The Taliban warned the vaccine distribution team to avoid distributing vaccines, Ahmadzai added.

The armed Taliban have not commented on the issue so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ha ha ha
Ahhhh hahaha
Lmao
Remake the world in blood! We will avenge the proto rna that got cooked into life! Destroy all living things! Return to the geothermal vents!