Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like Putin got sick of Lukashenko dithering
https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1502290399678943242?t=TtkkUvF8wOknoWZyAX8cMw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

The Russians have demonstrated that they can't handle a single-front war in Ukraine. They're not going to have the men or materiel to open a new front somewhere else.

Putin & co. are just blustering.

It does sound like "sound tough and involved for domestic audience" stuff, yeah. The important thing there is for the public to to see that the president has ordered troops to protect the border, not for ant troops to actually move. See also: most things one by present UK government.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Man Plan Canal posted:

Is it "fake" news? As best as I can tell the lay of the land is that a number of journalistic outlets, starting based on a Reuters story, report seeing internal Meta emails discussing the policy; then asked Meta for comment, then got a comment from a spokesperson acknowledging the truth of the emails and the change in policy. Then someone in this thread works for Meta and asked a contact they had if it was true, and the contact said no.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about this. The story's been out for a while now and Meta hasn't immediately slapped back hard. You'd think they'd jump right on that PR grenade if it was categorically false. Who was the goon who worked for Meta? They have any updates?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

StarBegotten posted:

When Putin looks Lukashenko do you think he feels pity or disgust?

Hopefully the realization that this is the only guy that's going to be speaking to him, while he's sanctioned to hell.

Also where's the 20km long table.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What in the world is that tweet saying? The planes dropped off something in Ukraine and then started a fire in Belarus? :confused:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Anyway what I'm getting at is that probably "tanks are useless" is overstated and if the Russians also had these kinds of capabilities it might be possible to spot the Javelin team hiding behind a railway berm 5 km away, and figure out what to do about it. And anything within the range of a tank that gets seen will have a bad time. I suspect we'll see even more small drones in use with lots of sensors, and that in a future peer-to-peer war you wouldn't think of advancing a combined arms formation without that kind of recon cover, just like right now a competent military wouldn't think of pushing forward armor without infantry and fire support.

That feels like armored knights and longbows. Where a longbow handed to a peasant could take down a knight. There is a while they tried adding more and more people to like, clear out archers before the knight arrived and stuff but at some point it became "wait, whats the knight armor even for at this point".

Like if you have to clear 5km around a tank for it to even be useable, because everyone has armor piercing weapons anyway, why not just skip the tank all together, send in faster/more armed/cheaper/more lightly armored vehicles then clear 5km around those since you were anyway? Like once you have to go ahead to keep your tank from getting shot what is the benefit for it being a tank? The reason you have tanks is to go in the areas that will get shot up other things couldn't go. If you have to already clear the stuff before the tank can go then just don't have the tank.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

BigglesSWE posted:

Not to mention that it’s a European country comfortably set in the “western” cultural sphere, a lot more than Ukraine. If you thought that Europe and the world at large has stepped up to show support for Ukraine in a big good way, hooo boy, Finland would be handed everything they’d want short of nukes, and there wouldn’t even be an ingrained right wing narrative about Hunter Biden’s shady Hillary Email servers.

Finland has NATO membership all queued up, all they have to do is hit “send” on the email and that happens as soon as they spot Russian forces amassing on their border in unusual amounts.

They will in fact be given nukes, thanks.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Deteriorata posted:

The Russians have demonstrated that they can't handle a single-front war in Ukraine. They're not going to have the men or materiel to open a new front somewhere else.

Putin & co. are just blustering.

I want to believe this, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of good information coming to Putin about this war itself. We have unconfirmed reports about the FSB head and deputy being sacked, but if he's being fed information that it's just a few people causing these issues and not a failure of the entire command structure, he may come to believe that there's enough wiggle room to open up multiple fronts.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

edit: whoops idk how I double posted - sorry folks!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheRat posted:

What in the world is that tweet saying? The planes dropped off something in Ukraine and then started a fire in Belarus? :confused:

They started in Belarus, flew into Ukraine, then turned around and fired missiles back into Belarus. It's an attempt to make it look like Ukraine attacked, to spur Lukashenko into joining the effort against Ukraine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TheRat posted:

They are saying Russian planes took off from Belarus, fly into Ukraine and immediately turned around in Ukrainian airspace, flew back into Belarus and bombed a Belarusian town as an attempt to false flag blame the Ukrainian Air Force in an attempt to pull Minsk into the war.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been saying since the beginning that since Russia put so much emphasis on taking Chernobyl and the exclusion zone, its going to be their ace in the hole/backup plan/hostage towards EU or something. Or at least their plan to use nukes against Kyiv without using nukes against Kyiv. I hate that this now starts to look plausible.

like the only way to approach kyiv from the northwest runs through chornobyl. that is the main reason russia is there, the presence of the nuclear site doesn't matter as much. the russians would be there even if there was no nuclear site ever built there

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
EU petrol bulletin chat.

Whoever has suggested that the Irish government could offset some of the usual taxes on gas was on point:

quote:

Excise duty on petrol to be cut by 20c and on diesel by 15c to ease burden of rising energy costs.

The cost of petrol and diesel has risen sharply in recent months but has sky-rocketed significantly since the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

A number of filling stations pushed prices at the pumps over €2 a litre over the weekend.

Households are already struggling to deal with the cost-of-living crisis that has seen inflation at a 20-year high.

The cost of petrol alone at the pumps has gone up by 70 cent a litre since January of last year, the Dáil heard earlier today.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin warned that the war in Ukraine was going to increase further the cost of fuels.
I got some yesterday evening for 1.849€/L. In the meantime, some friends in Italy sent over a screenshot of gas at 2.4€/L at a gas station they passed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

They are saying Russian planes took off from Belarus, fly into Ukraine and immediately turned around in Ukrainian airspace, flew back into Belarus and bombed a Belarusian town as an attempt to false flag blame the Ukrainian Air Force in an attempt to pull Minsk into the war.

Trump is sitting at home shouting "SEE??" at the news

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

StarBegotten posted:

When Putin looks Lukashenko do you think he feels pity or disgust?

probably because he views him as a mornic toady. also Lukashenko hosed himself if he tries to force the army to enter ukraine.

TulliusCicero posted:

...Wouldn't that just blow into Russia?

Seems real stupid if true

putin has done actual mass death false flags, failed entrapment poo poo before, its his playbook. i can see him saying gently caress it.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is not a good translation. Lukashenko says “and what they were planning for Chernobyl, we’ve yet to figure out”. He throws just a very vague shade in that direction, nothing more.

yeah but i think they are gonna do something with that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

They started in Belarus, flew into Ukraine, then turned around and fired missiles back into Belarus. It's an attempt to make it look like Ukraine attacked, to spur Lukashenko into joining the effort against Ukraine.

That sounds like something that would work well against a country with modern radar.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jaete posted:

"surely he won't be dumb enough to try to invade Finland", you mean, just like he wasn't dumb enough to actually invade Ukraine? :smith:
that noise you hear is every single SRA member's genitals bursting out of their pants.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That feels like armored knights and longbows. Where a longbow handed to a peasant could take down a knight. There is a while they tried adding more and more people to like, clear out archers before the knight arrived and stuff but at some point it became "wait, whats the knight armor even for at this point".
Longbows aren't effective against good armor, and people stopped wearing armor once firearms became common, not when peppered with arrows?
The knight armor+mounts made them extremely effective at obliterating infantry formations without pikes, and why Tercios were the beginning of the end for armored knights.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 11, 2022

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

like the only way to approach kyiv from the northwest runs through chornobyl. that is the main reason russia is there, the presence of the nuclear site doesn't matter as much. the russians would be there even if there was no nuclear site ever built there

Agreed, but it's also a prestige/propaganda point to take it. I don't think it was part of any nefarious back-up plan, as the Russians clearly expected to waltz into Kyiv with barely any resistance. Capturing Chernobyl on the way into Kyiv was just a propaganda bonus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

slowdave posted:

Hate to go OORAH but Finland has a fairly competent and large military and also more artillery than almost any other country in Europe. Finland would be a NATO asset, not the other way around, which is where a lot of the opposition stem from here.

Ataxerxes posted:

Of the three brigades stationed on the Finnish border two have sent their BTG complements to Ukraine and at least one of them has been seriously damaged in battles.

So, Finland isn't presently a NATO member...

I think it's time that the Karelia People's Republic be restored to their rightful autonomy, and time for Finland to restore its historic land bridge to the White Sea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Winter war 2: snipe harder

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502293369078358024

they are trying to do a false flag so Lukashenko has an excuse to order the army. but i dont think it works because most of the men probably arnt that stupid and Lukashenko isnt in a good position at home.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

There are also reports of troops advancing into the town as if to occupy hostile territory.

https://twitter.com/ua_parliament/status/1502290401490870275

That doesn't really work in world with satellites and stuff. The only ones who will believe this are people who believe (or have to pretend they do) anything the regime says.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So I hang out on the MilHist thread and that is just plain not true. Armor remained relevant well into the gunpowder age, longbows absolutely did not obsolete armor or knights or heavy cavalry in general (and in any event they required a LOT of extensive training to use well, you couldn't just "hand them to a peasant")

Also longbows were only particularly relevant in a relative handful of admittedly dramatic battles anyways in wars that were mostly defined by raiding and sieges.

There's a reason longbows remain part of a specifically English myth instead of immediately spreading all over Europe as the One Weird Trick To Obsolete Knights (French Nobles Hate Them!)

Edit: Also the battles in which longbows featured so heavily included a lot of mud slowing down the knightly charge so relevant to modern events! :v:

Tomn fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 11, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ZombieLenin posted:

I think China is going about this all wrong. From a realist perspective China ought to be bandwagoning with the West while angling—like Japan for the divvying up of post-war Russia and replacing Russia as the patron state for the Asia. Former Soviet Republics.

Edit

China wants to be a superpower in a bi-polar world. Russia is actually a competitor in that regard, not an ally.

China knows Russia is a has-been but wants it in its orbit. They want Russia to be basically their version of the UK for us. They are no longer a great power, but if you treat them nicely and let them continue to act like they're a big player on the world stage they'll be a loyal ally. Carving them up for parts gives you...well, parts that may be questionably loyal and a bitter enemy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PederP posted:

There are also reports of troops advancing into the town as if to occupy hostile territory.

That doesn't really work in world with satellites and stuff. The only ones who will believe this are people who believe (or have to pretend they do) anything the regime says.

they are just gonna kill a ton of people.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Atreiden posted:

it's a bit concerning to see this tweeted while Lukashenko claims Ukrainians had something planned with Chernobyl

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1502259680374046733

https://twitter.com/DI_Ukraine/status/1502244748073095168

Guys come on just look at the loving image they're using for the tweet and stop being so credulous. This is wartime propaganda on both sides. No one is going to nuke the Chernobyl power plant.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tomn posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about this. The story's been out for a while now and Meta hasn't immediately slapped back hard. You'd think they'd jump right on that PR grenade if it was categorically false. Who was the goon who worked for Meta? They have any updates?

Because it's obviously true. But is nothing. The standards that apply to talking about a war don't apply in an identical way to talking about not a war.

Like if you read a news story that like, the ukraine killed 5000 soldiers today and said "good" then said the same thing about a story about like, 5000 black kids getting killed. You wouldn't get the same moderation. Like you can spin it as "oh, so saying russian citizens dying is good but saying black people dying is good is bad!? double standard" and facebook is saying "you know why thats diffrent, you are just clicking the report for violence button because you are trying to silence things, we are not going to ban someone for supporting ukraine"

Like it's not saying you get to be suddenly racist, just, it's not going to fall for some obvious ploy to use the report button by pretending saying a picture of a burning tank is the same as a picture of a burning station wagon full of babies and both have to be moderated the same.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

PederP posted:

Little Green Men 2: if you mix Blue and Yellow?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: Moderation update :siren:

I've caught up with the thread since I went to bed, and I'd like to ask for 2 things:
  • Please shut up about a tankies or DSA, unless it's obviously relevant to the thread; that entire conversation was very tedious.
  • While this is a fast-moving thread with somewhat relaxed moderation, D&D rules still stand, and I'd like to politely remind people to put effort into your posts. If you want to meme, that's okay with me (to an extent), but, please, as we say here, combine "the pleasant" with "the practical", and post something thread relevant along your sometimes dubious one-liners. Find some examples of the posts I'd call out from the last night below.

awesome-express posted:

Communism is bad

Despera posted:

Bunch of woke nazis these Ukrainians are

Bloody Pom posted:

I hear the polonium gives it a nice tingle.

Conspiratiorist posted:

A miserable pile of cognitive dissonance.

Fuligin posted:

someone who gets in real spicy politics arguments whl playing their favorite game, 'worlds of the tank'

evilweasel posted:

its poloniumicious

Fuligin posted:

go touch grace

the popes toes posted:

This is the best thing

coelomate posted:

May there be many more like this one

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I hope this never stops :hellyeah:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You love to see it.

Cimber posted:

Best post of the day.

Xarn posted:

gently caress that guy

Chalks posted:

When they're right they're right

mmkay posted:

*Insert The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point here*

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Tomn posted:

So I hang out on the MilHist thread and that is just plain not true. Armor remained relevant well into the gunpowder age, longbows absolutely did not obsolete armor or knights or heavy cavalry in general (and in any event they required a LOT of extensive training to use well, you couldn't just "hand them to a peasant")

Also longbows were only particularly relevant in a relative handful of admittedly dramatic battles anyways in wars that were mostly defined by raiding and sieges.

There's a reason longbows remain part of a specifically English myth instead of immediately spreading all over Europe as the One Weird Trick To Obsolete Knights (French Nobles Hate Them!)

Edit: Also the battles in which longbows featured so heavily included a lot of mud slowing down the knightly charge so relevant to modern events! :v:

Chances are they meant crossbows, in which case everything they said would be true. You can hand those to peasants and they do indeed punch through armor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Carmant posted:

Guys come on just look at the loving image they're using for the tweet and stop being so credulous. This is wartime propaganda on both sides. No one is going to nuke the Chernobyl power plant.
They'd probably just drop regular bombs/shell it anyways.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

That Italian Guy posted:

EU petrol bulletin chat.

Whoever has suggested that the Irish government could offset some of the usual taxes on gas was on point:

I got some yesterday evening for 1.849€/L. In the meantime, some friends in Italy sent over a screenshot of gas at 2.4€/L at a gas station they passed.

My friend in Auckland, New Zealand (produces no oil, is loving far away from everything) is reporting $NZD 3.30 a liter, which would be EUR2.06 or $USD 2.26.

$USD 9.00 a gallon is a lot even for them.

That’s 265.35 Rubles a liter. Anyone know what the pumps in Moscow are at today?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

So, Finland isn't presently a NATO member...

I think it's time that the Karelia People's Republic be restored to their rightful autonomy, and time for Finland to restore its historic land bridge to the White Sea.

Terrible burden to Finland as the free world depends on them and them alone to narrow the widening peat gap between the allies and the occupiers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PederP posted:

i'm not sure this sounds like a false flag to me, or at least not purely like one. this sounds more like putin is displeased with belarus and is firing a shot across the bow (or more) telling them that they're going to do as they're told or they're going to get invaded (and they're not going to get the care packages of tens of thousands of javelins that ukraine did from the rest of the world, given that they're putin collaborators).

it can also be repackaged into a false flag attack to let belarus meekly accept the leash with some deniability but that seems more like a bonus than the main purpose

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I mean come on. Lukashenka meets with Putin and then just magically the Ukranians hit a border town in the same day? Do they really think people are that dumb?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TheRat posted:

That sounds like something that would work well against a country with modern radar.

Seems like a bold assumption that Belarus would have this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

:hmmyes:

My god Putin truly has chud brain if he thinks anybody will remotely believe that outside of chuds

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Finland has NATO membership all queued up, all they have to do is hit “send” on the email and that happens as soon as they spot Russian forces amassing on their border in unusual amounts.

It doesn't loving work like that. In order to become a NATO member, you have to be accepted by every existing NATO member. As in, they have to hold parliamentary votes on the matter. If it looks like Russia is invading Finland, what are the chances that at least one NATO member isn't going to go "actually, letting Finland in right now is not in our best interests"?

The idea of an instant NATO membership is absolute bullshit spread by anti-NATO activists in Finland. If we want into the alliance, we need to get in when there is no imminent threat. Once there is a threat, it's too goddamn late.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Belarus doesn't have the same internet crackdown as Russia, right? Considering the army doesn't want to be dragged into this I can't imagine how this tricks them assuming they have access to the claims that it's fake.

It could backfire massively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmmyes:

My god Putin truly has chud brain if he thinks anybody will remotely believe that outside of chuds

That doesn't really matter, he wants Luka to stick his dick into Ukraine and this gives him cover internally to do so if needed