Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I got my motorcycle license the other day. Craigslist looks kind of grim. Bikes around 300cc for 3k or less seem to be mostly dirt bikes, or bikes which may or may not have been crashed. Also people want cash.

I was thinking of getting a Honda CB300R. I don't have any experience with a street bike, aside from the motorcycle safety class I recently took. I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid for 3 or 4 years, but that was at least 16 years ago.

I'm not sure what sort of information is helpful. I would use the bike to commute at first, just to get practice, but my commute is only 2 miles. Primarily I intend to go riding out on the nearby mountain roads, which I guess is what most people here do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha yeah I guess wanting cash isn’t weird now that I think about it. I’ve only ever bought cars from dealers before, so I’m just used to the idea of signing some paper and walking away with a car.

I’m in San Francisco. If buying used I don’t really want to spend more than 3k, especially if the plan would be to get a different bike in a year or two after getting enough riding experience.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

The cb300r is a really tiny bike, make sure it’s going to be comfortable before deciding on it

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 155lbs, so maybe that is a good thing. I haven't seen one in person yet. I wish I could remember which bike I rode at the MSF class for comparison.

Sagebrush posted:

San Francisco in the summer is like the worst possible market to buy a motorcycle. Expand your search out to as far as Fresno and Reno and you'll find lots of stuff for maybe half what it's going for in the city. you have to be willing to get yourself out there and then walk away if the bike isn't what you expected, but the other side is that you can save a lot of money if you put in the effort. Your decision.

For the record, I have never bought a motorcycle that was located less than 50 miles from my home.

Oof, that's pretty far away... I don't have a truck, or even an SUV, that I could use carry or tow the bike back. I'd have to take a friend with me and ride back. Is that advisable? I took a quick look at Fresno's craigslist which looked similar.

I was talking to my neighbor who has a CB360. He suggested either buying new or going to LA; he agrees with your assessment of the SF market. The LA craigslist definitely looked more promising, but same problem of getting the bike back, and even farther. He mentioned he knows a guy who has a CB125 he was selling for around 1k. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a 30+ year old motorcycle with only a 125cc engine, but if it's only 1k, that might be worth considering?

I should probably get a helmet first so I can actually ride some bikes and help know what I want. :shobon:

edit: spelling

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Please do. I want to talk about BMW bikes. I am 34 and really want an R1250R, but I know that's too much bike for me for right now.

But I still lust after BMW bikes.

So please do create a dad bike thread.

Is that a dad bike? A GS, sure, but the R doesn't give me dad vibes. I used to really want an R1200GS (now 1250) but now that I've actually started riding they just seem enormous, and I'd probably never actually use it for any "adventuring."

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, I'm paying $80/mo ($960/year) for my coverage, do you guys all have uninsured motorist, comprehensive, etc? I have an umbrella policy too so my bike/auto insurance has to meet certain limits, but it seems like I'm paying a lot for someone with no at fault accidents.

I waived any coverage for damage to my bike because it was like $2000/year, even with the highest deductible, presumably because I have no riding history. I pay $695/year with otherwise similar coverage to you. If I went with the legal minimums, which is what I think most people do, my quote is $182/year. Honestly though, if you are at fault in an accident and someone is seriously injured, you're hosed. I carry the max liability Geico will sell me on my bike and my car.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought a new CB300R for my first bike, so I don't think there's anything wrong with buying new if that's what works best. The used bike market in my area isn't great for beginner bikes, and I didn't want to spend too much time/effort finding something. I also don't have the space or ability to do anything beyond the basics with regard to maintenance, so that was another reason I went new.

Not that I necessarily know anything, but I will say that the CB300R is lighter (317lbs w/ ABS) better looking (subjective, I guess), and has, at least on paper, better suspension (inverted fork), brakes (radially mounted front caliper), and tires (radial), so I'll just throw that out there to make myself feel good about my decision.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mirconium posted:

Wait I think he meant an R nineT Scrambler...

Yeah that’s what I assumed as well. Ducati Scrambler is basically a sub brand and by itself doesn’t really mean anything because there are like 10 different types.

I think what he really wants is this monstrosity.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What percentage of bikes are Harleys in your areas? Here in the Bay Area they are definitely in the minority. It’s fairly evenly split between Japanese, Italian, and German, with maybe like 10% Harleys and choppers. That’s what I’ve seen anyway. I forget that in a lot of the US Harleys are super prevalent.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rolo posted:

I went to look at it because I was in the area and haggled a little bit just to see what they’d do. Tax tag and fees were just under 3k and they wouldn’t budge because the bike was already discounted. No biggie but I do think an SV650 is going to happen in the next year or so.

I am misunderstanding. Taxes, registration, etc., on a 6k bike are 3k, or that’s somehow the out the door price?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that's crazy. I bought my bike from the only Honda dealer in the city, and the only fee they charged me was $300 to assemble/prep the bike, which I feel should be covered in the delivery fee, but I was more concerned with getting a bike at the time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Price aside, why would someone get a TW200 over a WR250? I want to get a dual sport, but I would want one that's basically a manufacturer-plated dirt bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks. I wasn’t trying to be dismissive of the TW. I haven’t ridden either bike. I would rather have a proper dirt bike but it’s not an option for a couple reasons, which is why the WR has much more appeal to me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I estimate an approximate 3000% increase of two strokes on the street since shelter-in-place began.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I would be sure they know you’re out of state so they don’t collect sales tax, because you will probably owe it in your home state.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought my first bike without ABS. They didn’t have an ABS model in stock, so I said gently caress it!! Fast forward 110 miles and I crashed after I locked up my rear wheel which in turn started wiping side to side. That’s my first bike ABS anecdote for your consideration.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Coydog posted:

This cannot be stated enough, especially for new riders. Not only is riding in the woods just the bestest thing, and not only is the varied terrain interesting, but you learn so much in a "safer" environment.

In addition to this ideally you are on a low displacement lightweight dirt bike that is less intimidating than whatever streetbike you may have.

Ironically I had a CR80 as a teenager which I think factored into my being way overconfident when I hopped onto a street bike. Everything is the MSF class was super easy and familiar. I was, obviously, outriding my ability.

I’m not at all disagreeing with either of you. I wish I had kept riding dirt and got a street bike sooner :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Coydog posted:

In my experience, minibikes attract mostly obese bigoted manchildren. Probably because they think it's size is a license to ignore all laws and safety.

It doesn't really come through on a screencap, but a couple of these guys seemed genuinely annoyed I didn't yield my green arrow to them.

They all, of course, ran the light as soon as I cleared the intersection.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rolo posted:

What kinda bike you got there?

It’s a Honda CB300R. Same design language as the CB650R you posted about in another thread, but not quite as good looking.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hadlock alway makes insane posts in the San Francisco thread. I was curious so I went and looked in YLLS and he is active in several bike threads so I don’t even know how he ended up here. :confused:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does the XSR700 have the same fork as the MT-07? Supposedly that is also too bouncy. Dave Moss says to shave like 2mm off the spacer and put in heavier oil. I’m not sure how true that is but certainly the cheapest option, if you trust his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uiiksWsOs

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They're in between. They're clip-on style but the mounting point is forged into the triple clamp, instead of being an actually clipped on below. It's similar to an RC390. I'm not sure exactly what your Ninja 650 has because I see a couple different setups when searching.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

Off the top of my head I don't know of any cars with both manual transmissions and adaptive cruise. If that's accurate I'm kind of impressed with BMW and Ducati

I believe the Golf GTI and Golf R have this. ACC in a car rules. I’m not super interested on a bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Off Highway Vehicle. I'm not sure why it's "highway" because you can't ride them on any public road. Basically unplated dirt bikes and such.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode a yellow Ducati once, and it was good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

who needs TC when you can just get lucky af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PXdhYRShPo

:same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyktdu8KYMk

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Longitudinal only makes sense to me for shaft drives. Is it used outside of that?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you have a motorcycle, why would you want an e-bicycle? I can understand the appeal of an electric-assisted full suspension mountain bike, but not road bikes, unless you have mobility issues and can’t ride a normal bicycle easily or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was looking last night and people are asking 7k for used Ninja 400, 6.5k for R3, and even nearly 5k for Ninja 300 :wth: dealers must being doing crazy markups. Is this chip shortage fallout? I’m looking at the website for the dealer down the street and all their list prices are MSRP. Maybe that’s just to get you in the door.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was curious because I don't remember dealer fees being particularly outrageous when I bought, but this was also pre catastrophe.

So maybe around $450 in dealer BS ($398 handling and the $45.5 "dealer defined" -- that $85 "doc fee" was to pay them to do the DMV paper work I think). I didn't negotiate anything at all because I cared more about buying a bike than saving money. Next bike I will take my time~

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Coydog posted:

It's so frustrating that I can't just buy a vehicle at MSRP and instead have to go through some shady dealer middleman who reaches in my pocket for all manner of things. There are bikes that get listed for an MSRP that I'm ok with, and I want to be able to go buy that for that price. If the dealer wants a cut, that is between them and the manufacturer in negotiating margins. Plus, wish I could have the crate dropped off and be responsible for the final assembly and fluids, if I choose. I get the liability/law reasons why, but that goes out the window when the new bike you pick up is poorly assembled and stuff.

Yeah I actually found my front axle nut free spinning after only a couple hundred miles. It may have always been like that and I just didn't think to check.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Have you just considered getting a good condition used R3/Ninja 300/400/CBR300R for track riding? That's my vague plan if I can find one for ~3k, which seems pretty much impossible at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAjy5Dq5TQ

This is a race bike on slicks but still. You don't need massive power to be fast on track. A lower powered bike on track is probably better because it magnifies all the areas where you're slow / could be faster. The last time you went and they didn't allow passing in corners is weird and dumb and probably not a common restriction. I've done 3 now with 3 different providers, and all allow passing on the outside (6' cushion) and one allowed on the inside as well (but that was at a wide "easy" track).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy why do you prefer the DR650 over the DR-Z400? Does it change at all if you want to have 17s instead (or two wheel sets and change them out semi frequently)?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, but here in Canada (or the province of Ontario at least), they're only required when a vehicle changes ownership, so you can keep any old POS on the road for as long as you own it.

Yeah I see so many rolling death traps on the roads in the US it's insane. Yesterday I saw an A8L with its trunk bungee strapped down from being rear-ended lmao. I was in a minor accident about 18 months ago, and I had my car towed to a body shop, because any additional damage incurred from operating the car after the accident isn't going to be covered (or at least not by the initial at-fault party's insurance). I guess some people just have really poor decision making skills and buying a 100k-when-new car and underinsuring it is one of them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Are those dyno number graphs usually from CycleWorld? I thought I had bookmarked something that had a pretty good database of them, but can't find it, this seems to be the closest there is and it's a pain to search: https://www.cycleworld.com/tags/dyno/

I'm curious what the ZX-10R looks like, that's probably the most ridiculous bike I've ridden.

Did find the Z400 on there though, which is the same as my Ninja 400 I believe: https://www.cycleworld.com/how-much-power-does-2019-kawasaki-z400-make/

Phone posting hopefully this works.

Cycle World seems most consistent with doing dynos but they don’t always post the chart which is annoying. They have a bunch of YouTube videos.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73D603D74057DC0E

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The redline is "maximum speed for sustained normal operation," not "engine explodes immediately at this point." Take your bike up there at least once every ride.

A good video about this which just came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOl9Uh_nyw

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah the pavement quality on I-80 through the Donner Pass is absolutely terrible. I think all the chained up semis through the winter really just wreak havoc on it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Is this why Americans buy a lot of SUVs, to cope with the shite roads by using taller suspension?

I think it's just more lifestyle/image than anything. SUVs don't necessarily have good ride quality, especially the body-on-frame ones that are still around like a 4Runner. However, the US car market kind of sucks and you're pretty much pushed into buying an SUV if you want any one of these, and especially if you want them all: 1.) AWD/4WD 2.) towing capacity 3.) usable cargo space. Consider a Subaru Impreza vs Crosstrek. These are, as far as I can tell, exactly the same with the exception of their ride height and whatever necessary springs/damping changes go along with that. Per Subaru, the Impreza is not rated for towing while the Crosstrek is rated for 1500lbs/680kg. The Crosstrek also cost $1700 more and has worse financing options (from the dealer, which usually offers the best rates). You could just install a hitch on the Impreza anyway, but if your CVT has problems, and the chances are high it will, I think you're gonna have a lot of headache trying to get any in-warranty repair if they see a hitch.

Audi A4 Allroad in UK, 750kg unbraked tow capacity
Audi A4 Allroad in US, sorry, no towing. Try a Q5!

I kind of harp on the towing because I want to be able to tow my motorcycle without having to rent a van/truck :argh: Renting a motorcycle trailer is super cheap ($15/day) whereas renting a van/truck is easily 10x that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I can confirm my wife hates my body on frame SUV and her car rides significantly nicer than my SUV on our lovely roads. If you want to see just how bad our roads are I recommend taking the 5 from Downtown LA to Bakersfield on a sportbike.

I had the same problem and was looking at Outbacks but they didn't quite meet my needs so now I'm full American with a huge SUV that somehow only seats 4 because I have captain's chairs in the middle and leave the back row folded down permanently. Tows a bike like a champ though, and with the roof rack I can fit two adults, a baby, a great dane + pit bull, and all associated baby crap in the car.

Yeah honestly if one would fit in my parking spot, I'd probably have a 4Runner as well, or a Tacoma. I live in central SF, and my parking spot is not big. My Impreza barely fits, which is why dumb towing poo poo is doubly annoying! I couldn't even have a Crosstrek. At least I have off-street parking... :unsmith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Seems to largely be the case with noise laws in the US too, I have no idea what they are in practicality. the one time I went to a track I had to make sure it met their fairly stringent requirements (although it's just a few miles from an air force base with regular F16 takeoffs :lol: )

Most race tracks have sound limits afaik but they tend to be “reasonable” — Laguna Seca is a notable exception where many stock bikes and performance car are too loud, which is especially egregious because the track predates everything else around there.

Most people just end up doing something like this to slip past the sound booth

There’s a guy who makes custom attachments for bikes too but I didn’t see any good pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Get a YZ125 and figure out how the plate it and also 17s. CSB please explain how