Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So I finally decided to get some dedicated winter tires for my '06 Impreza since my commute is a fair bit longer now, went with some 15" Generals, no studs. I got a call from Tire Rack and they said that PA law just changed in October -- they said you can be failed on inspection if wheels and tires don't match the door jamb sticker. I upsized to OEM (no problem there, it let me put on some steel wheels anyway) but for the life of me I can't find online reference to this supposed new law. Anyone have any experience or knowledge here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

si posted:

If you're running dedicated winters, does it matter? Just throw the OEMs on come inspection time, and then run whatever you want for the other 364 days.
That was one plan, but the cost difference was small, I might inspect prior to the end of the winter season, and I like the look of steel wheels on my wagon. =)

InitialDave posted:

I'd have just printed a new door jamb sticker to suit. If they base it on what the sticker says, rather than what factory fitment was, that's their own problem.
I was actually considering this. I think the guys at my garage probably would just roll their eyes when it came to that rule anyway.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Here is current PA inspection law.

This is where I first checked after the phone call, hence the comment that I couldn't find anything online supporting it. The last portion about size was the only thing I found that was close too, and Lord knows that size in that context could mean wheel diameter, outer tire diameter, tire width, or just about anything else. But what the hell, 16s are fine -- they were in stock to ship rather than being a day out, and steel wheels were available. I was just questioning the guy's comment and wanted to see if anyone else in PA had heard anything similar.

I would ask what you're running on your car for winter tires, but being in the same state means nothing when Philadelphia can't maintain its roads for even trivial amounts of inclement weather.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lilbeefer posted:

I put a deposit on this.

I love that style of wagon -- beautiful, clean lines. It's stupid, but I can't stand split passenger windows. I'd rather have second-row windows that only partially roll down than have the vertical split in them. Good find.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I was almost in the market for an immediate replacement -- a fifty-foot pine fell ten feet behind the wagon yesterday. gently caress this weather.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

dayman posted:

Has the carbon fiber car part industry ever solved the UV damage problem (yellowing and resin damage)?
The upside: Yes, Chevrolet has. The downside: The clearcoat additive costs approximately $60,000 per gallon.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My '06 Impreza wagon feels like there's very little clutch travel left, so I think it's getting close to time to replace it. I don't want to wait for it to start slipping, as it is my only car and not getting to work one day absolutely is not an option. So:

A) What's a reasonable cost and labor estimate for this?
B) it's only got 75k miles on it, but it IS eight years old; should the timing belt and tensioner be taken care of now too?
C) Anything else while I'm throwing money at the thing?

My sister is selling her manual Outback, same year but 106k miles. I'd be tempted to take it off her hands but my wife doesn't drive stick and an auto is the next purchase. Maybe a new 500 Abarth ...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

McSpatula posted:

Are you sure it's the clutch and not your pedal assembly, fluid, whatnot?

If you really feel the need to replace it now, a new oem clutch is around $165, and labor varies based on area(where are you located?). I would take a look at the flywheel condition and decide on if you should have it resurfaced or replaced, then take a look at your rear main seal while you're down there.

That belt is probably past due, old, and brittle by now. Grab a gates timing belt kit and water pump and you should be good.

Assuming you've been on top of your intervals, you should be all set.

It's my suspicion, but I'm not 100% certain. Like I said, it's not slipping, but I definitely have a hell of a lot less travel left before it engages compared to when I bought it. It's time for routine checkup anyway and I was going to get an estimate (this is just outside of Philadelphia). I've been good about keeping up with the maintenance intervals, and I've been sticking to the more frequent checks given that it's all city driving. Thanks for the input -- I just figured that if they've got to go mucking about I might as well take care of other things at the same time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Saga posted:

Get the BRZ and a set of cheap tire rack winter wheels/tyres for if and when it snows.

e: and see how far down Kelly Drive you can get in full drift mode.

Lincoln Drive is where it's at for white-knuckled terror due to people failing to understand "lanes."

Two people blasted through the same intersection I was at this morning (the three-way-stop on Allen Lane near the High Point). The second one came within two feet of making me an ex-Impreza Wagon owner.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My '06 wagon goes through headlight bulbs like nobody's business. I have no idea why. I got pulled over by the cops on the way to work two nights ago because one was out, and replaced it when I got to work. It was twelve degrees outside. It took a bit of time before my fingers felt normal again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My wagon is going through too much oil, too. 80k miles on it after almost 9 years, but mostly city driving. So we're looking at new struts, a clutch replacement, and now diagnosing/replacing whatever is causing this issue. At what point do I just trade this old girl in? Too bad they don't make a WRX wagon or hatch anymore, because I'd jump all over that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My '06 Impreza cruise control light is intermittently turning on and blinking, and it only stops if I shut the car off for a few seconds (basically until the outside temp light shuts off). It doesn't happen on every drive and when it does it seems like it doesn't happen until at least ten minutes into my commute. I haven't noticed it happening before I'm about a quarter tank down after a fill-up, but it's only happened for two or three weeks so far so that might not be a causal factor, just coincidence. I thought it was only happening on starts from standing, but then yesterday it happened when I was in third gear and already moving ... I think. (I can't stare at the Cruise light at all times, could have missed it.) There is no corresponding CEL. There are no other symptoms that I can pinpoint and the car otherwise appears to be acting normally. Thoughts?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm going to get a compression check on the Impreza when I take it in to get the cruise light looked at, since it's been using more oil than usual too. It hasn't been throwing codes with the cruise light issue, at least, so it's probably related to the CV replacement I had done prior. Or not. Who knows.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It'd be just my luck to have a cracked ringland in a non-turbo Subaru.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Shocking, the garage couldn't determine the cause of the blinking cruise control light. I think I'll have to take it to the dealership (ugh) to see if there are any cruise control-specific stored codes. My money is still on a mis-installed or improper wheel hub assembly from when the front left bearings were going. They SAY it looks good, but the timing of the error after I got the work done is too suspicious. If that ends up being the issue I guess I need to find a new garage. drat it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, the winter tires are on. I hope to God I never have to drive through conditions that would require the chains, which apparently have the ability to turn spontaneously into steel Gordian knots.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mudstone posted:

what chains did you get? i might need a set heading up to the pecos.

Should be these. Intentional overkill because I can't not get into the hospital if needed, but are they ever a bitch if tangled, and that's in fifty-degree weather without gloves on. Part of me wants to just stick them on my all seasons and flop the tires if we get weather where we'd need them, but the odds of needing them for the full trip are pretty low and I don't want to know what the ice breaker bar would do to pavement.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

They destroy our already poor road system.

Well, yeah. Hence not putting them on the all seasons for a quick swap since I doubt the entire 26 miles of pavement to work and back would be covered sufficiently by ice and pack snow. Same reason I don't stud the Generals -- too hard on our roads compared to the relatively few times I actually need the ice traction.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My old minivan had that issue when the ignition coil was old, and also when the ignition wires got old at sorta dry-rotted and it behaved similarly. On a dark, damp night I actually saw arcing with crank.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The XV is the logical successor to my old Impreza Outback Sport.

Take Impreza, add ride height, drive over curbs and small jersey barriers to take a few minutes off your daily commute. Put a skid plate on it and thrash with impunity.

Best car I ever owned.

If they released an XV WRX with a six-speed and about 250-ish horsepower, I'd buy one tomorrow. Cash.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well, my Impreza went through a quart of oil in 300 miles. I was due for an oil change today anyway, so I cleaned off everything to make any leak in the bay easier to track, and took it in expecting that they wuldn't be able to pinpoint exactly where the leak was, blah blah blah.

Instead, it turns out that the tech had added some fluorescein to the oil last time, remembered the car (which was good, since it wasn't written down anywhere and he hadn't told me), so he was able too see pretty much immediately that I don't have an oil leak, I have three: both valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. Good times. Mystery solved, at least.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Laserface posted:

gently caress, if they don't put this engine in a Crosstrek they are more retarded than we all think.
My stance on the issue. If Cadillac only needed to sell 37 CTS-V wagons in order to make up the development costs, I would think Subaru would make money on on a CrossWRX even as a niche market.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

My car is a heap. A lug nut caught a thread as I was rattle gunning the things off and it spun the stud. Now I've gotta figure out how to get the nut off the stud and get the stud out. loving new timken hubs too :argh: I'm fixing so much poo poo so often on this car I wonder why I didn't get a BMW and have something that at least drives nice when it's not broken.

This happened to me last winter when I was putting the winter tires on one afternoon before work. A friend of mine who actually is not a complete imbecile when it comes to cars first broke the lugnut off with a chisel, knocked the sud out and replaced it within ... an hour and change? Before it go dark outside, in any case. It was one of the rear wheels, too, and from my understanding the parking brake made the fit a bit harder. So it's definitely do-able.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

I have a 2014 WRX and drive it pretty rarely.

If it's a hatchback, the solution is "sell it to me and it'll get driven every day."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Test-drove a manual Crosstrek yesterday. Ugh, what a loving dog. As comfortable and familiar as the vehicle feels otherwise coming from an '06 wagon, I ... just ... can't. It's just ridiculously underpowered. I managed to find a local manual Forester to drive and it was less underwhelming, so I guess I could live with it. The XT was a blast, but a) I literally know nothing about the reliability of the CVT or of the engine, and b) if I want to get the Eyesight setup I have to drop a few grand and get leather instead of cloth. Ugh. Turbocharge the goddamned Crosstrek, you assholes, or at least give it the 2.5.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mariooncrack posted:

Do the manual crosstreks still come with a 5 speed?

Yes, and a really soft, vague clutch. The only thing good about that drivetrain is the fuel economy. That's not very high on my list of priorities unless gasoline prices triple.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maksimus54 posted:

FWIW you can get eyesight on the premium Forester. It's still an added expense, but I prefer the cloth and virtually every one of them has the all weather package which is nice.

I think that's only the 2.5i Premium. The XT Premium doesn't have it listed as an option at subaru.com, and the Edmunds review specifically states, "Note that the EyeSight package is not available on this model." Weird, but those're the breaks, I guess. Oh, well. The garage says -- for the third time -- that no, really, this time they've fixed the oil leak on the Impreza* so maybe I can hold off on a new purchase for a while until Subaru makes something a bit more interesting.

* First visit, after tracer was added previously, showed gasket leaks. After the repair things were good for a bit and then I stared seeing oil on the driveway. My friend has some ramps, so we stuck it up there and found what appeared to be a leak at the dipstick tube. Took a picture, took it to the garage, and they said it would be a no-charge fix because they were up in there the first time. Leak did not improve. Took it back for another no-charge visit and they said, "Welp, sorry, the dipstick tube was actually damaged, we repaired it and it should hold, but we can replace it if that doesn't work." At least I'm not paying extra for the guesswork. Somewhere in the middle of this prolonged oil saga it started shuddering at about 45 MPH after about twenty minutes of driving and pulling hard to the left with braking, and the speed at which the shudder occurred dropped even lower over the remaining five minutes of my drive home. At the next start up it seemed okay, and then the symptoms returned. My friend's best guess, based on my subjective sense that the front right brake was really hot after limited driving, was that the right front brake piston was getting partially stuck. Fifty bucks later, he fixed it, but man, has the wagon been getting on my nerves.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Because I can't go a week without something new popping up on the Impreza: when in fifth or I'm shifting into fifth (i.e., putting rightward pressure on the stick while at speed), I'm getting a light, high-pitched whine that appears to correlate to the speed of the car. Doesn't happen in any other gear. What in the hell is going on with my car?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

The cheapest winters are better than the best all seasons by a mile. I love General Altimax Artics.

I love my Altimaxes too, but it's important to note that they're not "the cheapest winters" -- they at least have some more modern compounds and tread/siping patterns. One of Tire Rack's tests compared winter tires **with studs** on an ice rink compared to studless snow/ice tires and the studs weren't enough to make up for the craptastic materials and design. They didn't make note of what actual studded winter they were using, but given how poorly they handled I'm going to guess they were the cheapest of the cheap instead of something like an Altimax (see a comparison of Altimaxes to other studdable winter tires here). There's a good chance that advances in design would make switching a good or great all-season to a low-end winter tire a lot less striking.

I was out again looking at Foresters today, with another test drive in the 2.5i premium (heated seats!) with a manual and in an XT. My pathways at this point are "get an XT and keep the wagon with studded Altimaxes for when I know it's going to be an ice sheet" versus "trade in the wagon for a 2.5i manual," partially based on what they offer for trade-in. If the latter, I'll have Altimaxes on steel wheels plus a chain set at a good price for any Philly-local Impreza goons who, I don't know, want to carve up the Poconos in the worst imaginable weather or something. I literally never have had to use the chains to get somewhere.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on an impact wrench and sockets? I just need to swap tires and poo poo, but I like nice tools.

This cordless Dewalt got pretty killer reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899B-Brushless-Torque-Impact/dp/B00WJA1J68

I have a smaller Dewalt cordless impact wrench, but really all I do with it is zip the lugnuts off after using a breaker bar to loosen them, and you could just use a speed wrench without much additional effort. When putting the lugnuts back on you should be hand-tightening them first before snugging them with a torque wrench anyway. And on a related note, I'm ready for winter!

The stock tires are basically garbage, I might just get some Michelin Premier A/Ses on the stock rims in Spring.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool, thanks for the tip!
What torque should the lugs be put on at?

My '17 Forester is 89 ft-lb, my '06 Impreza is about 72 ft-lb (though the manual is really weird about he number, so that's something I arrived at via the internet). So it varies wildly. I'm no mechanic, but I think the important thing (provided you're not way low or way high) is that it's consistent, so you don't put uneven stress on the rotor.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

jamal posted:

And they have basically the same hubs, wheels, wheel studs and lug nuts.

I usually go with 75-80.
Yeah, I have no idea why the torque specs seem to creep up every year.

Anyone here grease their lug studs and undertorque? That seems to be a popular alternative.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

So because the manual changed you're gonna add a step and undertorque it? Why? Don't try to hack the matrix, just change the wheels and use the correct number.

No, mine are torqued to spec. I asked if anyone here was a fan of one of the alternative methods of tightening lug nuts. Some folks like it because it provides the correct stretching force at less applied torque, makes it easier to remove the lug nuts later, blah blah blah. I torque per the manual and deal with the occasional snapped stud at removal.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

literally a fish posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but greasing lug studs sounds like a terrible idea :ohdear:

That was my gut response when I first heard about it, but the torque we measure when we use a torque wrench is a surrogate marker for what holds the nut on, the normal force between the stud and the nut. The most accurate measurement would be to measure the stretch of the stud, which is what you do in critical places like nuclear reactor heads. Greasing the lug stus decreases friction at the surface interface but not the noral firxe, so you actually need LESS torque to stretch the stud and hold the wheel on. If you greased the stud and torqued to spec you'd way over-torque and potentially break the stud. Counterintuitive but them's the breaks.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Jan 24th and I still haven't had to swap winters on to the WRX. In fact, I've been able to drive the BRZ with summers on it several times in the last week.

Looking at the long term forecast, there appears to be a single day next week that might be troublesome. I'm going to be annoyed if I have to swap for a single day.

Kinda surprising -- though still unseasonably warm, there have been enough cold, snowy, or icy days here in Philly that it's still been overall worthwhile. Though I do work nights, so I might be biased on the "cold enough" issue. And I guess it also depends on if your 'summer" tires are actually good all seasons. My friends summers on the V-wagon certainly haven't been good for the colder days.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

The Pilot Sport AS3 are great in the cold. They just can't clear more than a dusting from the tread.

But I haven't had to drive on snow covered roads this year at all (aside from my unsalted driveway.)

We've only had a handful of days this year where snow even persisted on the ground for more than 24 hours. Hell, it was in the 50s and 60s most of last week through the weekend.

We've only had 13 days since December 1st where the daytime high has been below freezing and nearly all of them have been bone dry.

Yeah, an ultra high performance all season still gives you enough in cold-but-not-snowy that it was super hard for me to convince myself to get the jack out and change the tires on all of our cars when we got that bit of snow earlier in the season, but you never know which way the winter is going to turn. Freaking Christmas 2015 was eighty degrees. That was the worst holiday shift ever, everyone was surrounded by relatives they barely could stand on a good day, and were drunk and stabby on top of it all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello, Subaru thread! I just drove home in my new (to me) Outback and was told to report here for my free flannel shirt and/or lesbian book club membership.

e: Anybody got some good seatcover recommendations? I gotta put like a whole shitpot of dogs in the back of this thing.

The NAC&ZAC seat cover on Amazon with side flaps is perfect in our Forester: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HI762M8/ref=sr_ph_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485945080&sr=sr-2&keywords=NAC%26ZAC

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Eyesight in my Forester caused an unexpected hard brake once. Otherwise it hasn't been a problem. Likewise, very few issues with the infotainment setup.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
There is no 3.6R Forester. 2.5 NA or 2.0 with twin-scroll turbocharger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Slick, wet, slushy roads on the way home this morning with freezing glazing on everything.

Forester, Blizzaks ... meh. Pretty dull drive.