Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Carbs are full of voodoo. the pump that your R1 has is just a simple bi-diaphram with a coil and driver.

EFI pumps are a bit more involved, and have much much higher operating pressure.

I have a set of 03 R6TBs and the Map sensor is tied across the intake side using vacuum tubing.

I've used a koso cluster before that used the sproket bolts with a hall effect for the speedometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
FZR chat
Check your vacuum/intakes. They tend to dryrot and cause leaks. Are all of your carbs equalized?

simple poo poo. Is the vacuum test port plugged? fuel levels ok? Floats not sticking etc?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
fuel levels. yay drunk postin'. FLOAT levels. Dammit.

the main being off shouldn't do much of poo poo at idle, but having em not sync'd, that'll cause some stuff.

It took me a while to get mine set on the 400/600 hybrid I had, but when I did get it, ohhhh boyyyyy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Bet you that's not mentioned in the ad when the bike is sold.

Pretty sure sack sweat isn't the only thing thats been on that tank.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Usually 1-2 plate batteries a year for me in the desert.
AGM/lithium ones hold up muuuuch better.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Ever since I reinstalled everything and have been riding again, my bike's trip meters and clock keep reseting every time I turn off the bike for more than five seconds. Suggestions for what it might be?

Battery line to your cluster isn't connected.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
you should have two. one for switched power, another for constant power. It probably goes through the same multiplug... unless its something aftermarket.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Armchair Calvinist posted:

If they're Champions, it likely melted off. I don't think there's anything you can do. Same thing happened to my friend, just got a new (non-champion) plug and kept riding.

This is what I'm betting on.

but like Bugdrvr said, can't hurt to stick a mag on a stick in there. set the piston all the way at the bottom and you might be able to sweep the side of the bore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If none of the other O rings are bad, just replace the master link with another O ring type.
I'd inspect the master link pins for wear, high amounts: replace the entire chain.

Theres O ring type, and X ring too.

E: Never hurts to carry a spare masterlink either, I've broken a couple retainer clips.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 18, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
stick it in second gear. if it jumps, run the gently caress away.
If it has maintenance history, don't worry too much. no history? run the gently caress away.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
push start it!

Seriously though, seems like your starter solenoid poo poo itself based on your instrument lamps not dimming out.

Use the screwdriver trick?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
1. replace that piece of poo poo.
2. probably a cold solder joint on the cluster or a weak connection in your harness somewhere.
3. uh..wha? I've never given a poo poo to oil stanchion tubes. they're plated.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Sadly when I can get a ZRX1200 for about three grand less than a DRZ400SM I'll pick big and retarded over impractical sumo every time. Every motardy sort of bike here is insanely overpriced because they sell so few to begin with.

Here I can get a new SM for a couple grand more than a used one. Why even bother with used at that point?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

My name is Crotch Fruit, I ride a cruiser, and I ask stupid questions. I am considering getting a sport bike sometime in the future if I can afford one, the first google result for "first sport bike" basically says you will kill yourself if you get a four cylinder super sport since they are finely tuned high RPM engines that will flip over backwards/forwards if you touch the controls wrong. I've logged a lot of time and miles on cruisers, will a super sport kill me? I think something like a Ninja 500 is probably better for me but I just don't know.

The RC390 comes out in like 2 weeks.

COME ONNNNN

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Motorcycles are exempt from the tolls though. :frogc00l:

Not here. :mad:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is your valves adjusted correctly?
throttle bodies synced?
Perform a leakdown test?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Be careful with starting fluid too. I actually nuked a engine when I was a teenager using that poo poo. a little goes a long way.

propane torches are what I generally use. huff it some gas and it usually will start.

Chichevache You're in SoCal right?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, Socal. Living in the Pomona area at the moment.

Balls! I have a compression tester but I'm a bit far.

Get a lovely walmart multimeter while you're there. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

CURSED I tell you. CURSED.

Maybe I should give up this motorcycle poo poo before I completely lose it.

I hear the SV is a good bike. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Wanna buy it? I think it works now.

Is there a blood sacrifice that comes with it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ride 250 miles, insert 5 gallons, ride 250 more miles, insert another 5 gallons.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
DOIT.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you want to ride, get something running and ridable, otherwise that thing is going to piss you off at every turn.
Project + DD is the way to go.
I learned the ultra hard way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Why is Rotella T a good bike oil? It's meant for diesel, but it seems every motorcyclist on the internet swears by the stuff for motorbikes. I'm just curious, if anyone knows, what's the deal with that.

For the record, I use Rotella T myself based on many recommendations, I just have no idea why it's good.

zddp. Cams love that poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

Do you feel unstable, generally out of control but have a huge poo poo-eating grin on your face and and are yelling "THIS loving OWNS" in your helmet? Buy good gear and join the hivemind. We have such things to show you. :unsmigghh:

This sums up my commute every day.

Join us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Minkee posted:

My commute is please don't kill me please don't kill me please don't kill me. We must live in different cities. In between I'm road raging at cars, screaming nonsense in my helmet, and telling people to gently caress themselves after they almost park their escalade on me in traffic with no remorse.

The bay area.

Razzled posted:

Yo don't sperg out about it, if you're just putting around the cul de sac all you need is jeans, gloves and a helmet.

Pretty much this. when I got my first bike I had a cheap helmet, mechanic gloves, steel toe boots, and a textile jacket. but I rode the fucker around only in the storage facilities lot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Why are motorcycle GPS units so drat expensive? A car Tomtom is 100 bucks, a bike Tomtom is 500. I already have a Garmin eTrex 20 (daylight display, waterproof) with streetmaps. Is there really any reason to buy a motorcycle GPS?

Seconding phone + Ram mount. I've stuffed my bike offroad with the phone in the mount and not tossed it. throw a usb charger somewhere and bobs your uncle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

While we're doing broken drzchat, does anyone know anything about working on ttransmissions for these things? Is it worth it to fix myself or should I just drop the motor and take it to a shop?

Where are you and do you have a lot of beer?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're posted for those of us with fabrication tools to pillage parts and build bastard bikes in the garage.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hows the seal look on the shock shaft?

Theres also a couple of cheapo stock drz shocks on the local craigslist. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It'll just ride like a klr. :v:

I'd ride it, but I'd ride a lot of broken things. If it bottoms out, I proooobably would set the spring preload higher.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
stator sounds fine to me. (they're generally delta wound)

I'd be looking for a hosed connector or wire somewhere between the rectifier and battery.

E: Shunt rectifiers also are kind of wonky with voltage handling if its cheap. Fets are a bit more consistent.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 7, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If its in range, go ride the fucker! they'll quieten up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
a fucky ground will do that to you...

also do a load test on the battery to see if there is a cell shorting internally.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

$690 + tax for a FCR 39 jetted with the kit/everything needed for a '13 DRZ from sudco in LA. Is that fair? Seems a bit high.

For bolt and go? Its up to you.

Are you ok with saving a few hundred and possibly waiting a few weeks while you wait for a part, or have to fiddle with bullshit on the side of the freeway when you realized you set the float height wrong, or the needle is too deep?

FWIW, I'm $460 or so into my sudco fcr setup. intake boot + throttle cables + air box boot + carb + rebuild kit/jets.

It took me 3 weeks to get it to where I could actually ride the fucker, and used a cv40 carb while I waited on parts.

This is also like the same question, do I take my poo poo to a tire shop, or do it myself?

buy a tire machine and a lot of scotch

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
sidestand switch, clutch switch, neutral safety switch. Test these.

also lol kill switch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Your loved ones can listen to your death rattle as you drown in your own blood after a semi crushes your diaphragm. :3:

Bullshit. I'll never go quietly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

III. A quick twist of the wrist and I would be screaming past the offending car. You can't hit what you can't catch. :c00lbert:

You ride a drz that runs sometimes, I happen to own the same, and I'm calling bullshit on this.

I'd say 60/40. 60% looking for poo poo that wants to kill you, and 40% wearing the right gear.

Play more tetris and frogger until your eyes bleed and you can predict things going on 3 levels ahead of the level you are currently playing.

I wouldn't run a diegrinder without a face shield, why commute with 2 ton piuses being piloted by owners playing with their texticle?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Oh! You caught me!:monocle:

Still faster than a KLR, but slower than a ups truck. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cheap guys use shock bellows.

check out seal savers. they work pretty good. They make a long and short version too. as for trapping water? I dunno, I've yet to see a set rusted out because of it.