Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Added another car (and terrible picture) to the fleet today.

:getin:

It's completely loaded, low miles, 6 speed manual, brembos, and a color I like. Needs some front brake pads but otherwise is in awesome shape. It's going to sit though until I can sell my other car and transfer the plate over...aaaaaand I'll probably need to get some winter wheels and tires set up soon.

I test drove one before I bought my current car and was impressed with the handling and relative luxury and interior refinement, but it just didn't have quite enough meat under the hood for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Hah, thanks. Volvo was a nice driver but the handling left a lot to be desired. And that good awful turning radius that I never thought would be a big deal until I realized it was worse than a full size truck.

What did you get instead?

That's about the only thing I'd wish for, but sadly these things don't respond well to mods from what I can tell. Not sure, might look into supercharging and/or trying to get it to lose some weight if I don't sell it within a year... My track record of sticking with cars hasn't great lately.

A Shelby GT500. Though was originally just planning on getting a 5.0. A G37S, a C6, and Mustangs were all I looked at IIRC.

I think I do remember looking into it, and a supercharger seemed pretty much the only way to go if you really wanted some significant gains.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

Ahem, it's gold. You know, the yoogest most luxurious color?

The color of piiiiissssss.

My dad had a Prius but he got tired of it plowing snow whenever there was more than 3" on the ground so he traded it in on a non turbo Forrester, which are massively lame and also exactly what my mom (independently) bought.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BigPaddy posted:

Not sure I posted this when I got it last year but here is my bad life choice:

This car has allowed me to renew my dislike of brand/model specific forums and their habit of echo chambering about other brands/models negatively. With this of course it is Mustangs and Cameros and I tried both of them before buying the Challenger and they were ok but I liked having some more space and the noise the SRT V8 makes makes me feel all silly. Ordered it late May 2016 and it was delivered on June 25th 2016 which was about half the time I was quoted on it would take. Unfortunately the Plum Crazy had gone out of production else I would have gotten than colour but as we all know red ones go faster.

So far just had a clear car bra with a black wrap on the hood and added a oil catch tank. Probably going to leave it standard on the most part since it is for daily driving while being too big and heavy to be chucked around on track really. Probably take it to the strip next summer with some better tyres on the rear for some fun. Also have to resist putting a pistol grip shifter on it else I will be banished from New England down to the south.

I love Challengers but I really think Challengertalk is one of the worst car/brand specific forums on the planet. You shoulda been there back when Ford & Chevy both had supercharged variants and they didn't. So salty and illogical.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PenisMonkey posted:

My first choice was a Hellcat Challenger but alas, all the dealers around here are fuckholes.

A couple days ago I just noticed some nearby dealers have gotten their head out of their rear end far enough to discount leftover 2016s. And even the ones with their heads still firmly up their rear end have at least taken the ADM off their 2016s so now they're listed at MSRP at least. A Hellcat at ~6 grand of MSRP starts looking pretty enticing even if it is a model year old. I'd get one if I weren't on a quest for a 4x4.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dreesemonkey posted:

What can a random person expect off MSRP on one of these trucks?

I've been Ford shopping lately and for a leftover 2016 if you're not getting it for way under invoice (getting all the holdback) you're getting ripped off. On a loaded F-150 (~60k) this means 11 grand or more off MSRP, including rebates (which are ~4500+ right now depending on trim/equipment). The one I was looking at was 63,990. Invoice was about 59,400. Holdback 1800 or 1900. And 2500 worth of rebates if you give up the rest of the rebate cash in order to get 0% for 60 months. Dealer I was at is the one of the ones that won't let you have any holdback so they were at least 2 grand too high. Also depends on the trim though, 2.7 XLTs have more rebates on them than 3.5 Lariats.

High volume dealers you can probably do even better than invoice-holdback-rebates but I've never personally gotten a deal that good.

For 2017 F-150 I think there's only a $500 rebate right now (this will probably increase as they move out the remaining 2016s) and most dealers probably won't let you touch the holdback on one so you'd be looking at more like 5k off right now.

I think I'm going to try and hold out for a Raptor though. Supposedly 2017 production will be higher than any previous Raptor years so the ADMs may be coming down/off fairly rapidly.

e: Ford seems like they're generally the stingiest on rebates though. Dodge being the most generous and GM being in between.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 14, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seminal Flu posted:

Haha, so I'm not the only one that uses that trick (it works really well some times... especially when you vary your grammar and lowball using barely functional verbage... people get tired of "dealing with morons" and just want their stuff gone). Freedompop is currently a great place for cheap burner phone access.

Lol, that's pretty good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought this thing. I haven't actually taken delivery of it yet, since it's being shipped 350 miles.

Immediate plans are to put some type of tonneau cover on it (currently leaning towards Retrax MX Pro) and maybe a bedrug.

Medium term plans are a 4" lift and 35" tires though I'm trying to decide how long to wait to make sure I don't have a pre-existing drivetrain or suspension warranty issue. Leaning towards 4-6 months or so.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Supposedly you can still use them for hauling rocks and dirt and poo poo and then just hose them out.

Not sure if I'll get one or not. It'd probably help keep things from sliding around back there but I'm thinking I'll get one of those bed extenders that flip to the inside for that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MikeyTsi posted:

You're that guy that buys a truck and then immediately proceeds to use it like a giant minivan that we all laugh at.

You can load gravel on the bedrugs. They aren't absorbent and they rinse off. It'd mainly just be extra dent protection and a softer surface if I'm in the bed on my knees (having sex). I don't see how it's getting used like a minivan unless I've got toddlers rolling around in the bed or something. :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

Right. BRB putting a bedrug on my F350.

Go haul some poo poo with that minty rear end pickup of yours. and by poo poo i don't mean the wife/kids/wiener.

That's not my truck nor my wiener, just a pic I grabbed off the internet.

And to people bitching about tonneau covers some of them are easily removable (like 30-120 seconds) to give you back 100% of your bed, and where the gently caress you going to securely/relatively dryly put four peoples worth of luggage on 1000 mile roadtrips without something along those lines. This isn't a 400 pound fiberglass topper that once it's on you know is never ever coming off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Breakfast Feud posted:

Just wanna chime in and say roll up tonneau covers are pretty rad if you park outside in a place that gets a lot of snow.

The fold ups also seem good (maybe not the lovely 230 dollar ones but like the 800 dollar ones). Haven't decided which way I want to go, there's a fairly massive range of style and price and it seems like every single one of them has people that say it's amazing and people that say it's total dogshit.

Top three I'm thinking about are the Bakflip MX4 (folder), the Retrax MX Pro (very expensive roller, rolls into a box in the bed unlike some that roll up and over the bed), and the Peragon (weird folder).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Today I think I found the only other idiot on the planet that wants to actually offroad a Limited and he has exactly what I was thinking about getting, namely 35s on the factory wheels with a 4" lift. I think it's even the tires I'd probably get (Toyos, though Nittos would also be a possibility).

I'm pretty scared of the amount of powertrain warranty I'd potentially be voiding though. A case can be made (even if it's a very weak one, depending on the nature of the failure) that practically any part of the powertrain failing could be attributed to "You put big gently caress off tires on it and also screwed up all the suspension geometry and pinion angles and poo poo."

Maybe living in NV, land of the big jacked up pickup, and getting it installed by the dealer might help.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dislike button posted:

That's a sweet truck but man I hate the C-shaped headlights

I like em. The only thing I don't particularly like is how square the bottom corners of the grill are. Which they changed/fixed for the 2017 Raptor and I think are changing for all the 2018s But it's not enough of a deal that I really give a poo poo about it.

The headlights are even more c-shaped though. And even though I like the bottom part of the grill better, I don't particularly like the grill as a whole. I do like how the whole bumper is body colored. Don't like the wheels as much.

Hate the interior. If this is really the only color they offer I'll laugh my rear end off:

Yes, it's blue.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Luxrage posted:

I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure I'd be getting it, but a few weeks ago when I was having car troubles, I went looking online to see if any other Crown Vic wagons had come up for sale since I bought my red one in August. Well, I found the perfect one, and I've got it now. I wanted to save sharing it until I had it (mostly) cleaned up:
1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire LX One owner at 72K miles!

She's a beaut, Clark. I love seeing that 5.0 intake manifold in non Mustangs (even if it's facing the wrong way).

e: those seats in the back are awesome, I missed them on my first pass through the pics. I think they're even cooler than the super cool rear facing seat that old wagons had. So it's a 9 seater?

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 15, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sunavabitchin goons are so difficult to please.

*Goon buys Raptor* - other goons swinging on his dangle.

*Goon buys Raptor Lite and intends to mod according to needs and tastes* - just buy a minivan you jerkass! Or get a full sized panel van!

I thought for sure I was going to get a Raptor even if it meant either paying 5k over MSRP or waiting for the price to come down a bit. I bid ~2k over MSRP on four different Raptors on eBay and made similar offers to at least half a dozen different dealers. Then I finally saw one in person on a lot (a special order that was already sold) and it just didn't give me as big a boner as I thought it would. I think part of it was that the crew cab kind of ruins the sporty nature and look of the Raptor, but I definitely wanted a crew cab for road trips and just ferrying friends and visitors around town.

And then I saw a Limited and it gave me more of a boner than I thought it would. So when I did the math on boner angle + price difference, I decided to forget the Raptor. I think Raptors are a great deal if you're just comparing MSRP to MSRP but when you start looking at real world pricing it starts to suck pretty hard. Practically every Raptor on the lot out there is between 67,500 and 70,000 MSRP. A Lariat equipped comparably is about 60,000 MSRP. That makes the Raptor look pretty good. But once you look at getting $4,000 in rebates and $1000 under invoice or so for the Lariat, and 5000 over MSRP for the Raptor, it becomes about 51k vs 74k. That's way the hell too much money for 75 horsepower and a factory lift. I don't really care about the horsepower and I doubt I'd ever be doing 70 mph down fire roads and jumping the thing (I will be doing ~5 mph up old mining roads and poo poo).

I think I'll be happy with my decision. And I should have the thing paid off just when Raptor Bronco prices start coming down maybe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Q_res posted:

Someone in my town actually has one of these damned things. I see it at the grocery store every so often. They're so delightfully weird.

A guy I know had it's successor, the Lincoln Mark LT. Which wasn't much of a success either.

It seems like Ford finally figured out the recipe with the Platinums and Limiteds, which is that people want the capability of a real bed even if they never end up using it, and then they just want all the luxury added onto it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

Why do you need cupholders? it's gotta have like 8 ash trays.

Those pics reminded me of the 91 Olds Toronado Trofeo I had that despite being a two door had ash trays for the back seats and each had its own cigarette lighter. Classy!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

F-150 got delivered today and I think I love it. I also think the delivery guy might have expected a tip but he didn't get one and maybe I should feel bad but oh well.

I'll take some good pics when my gf gets home with my good camera.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

the back seat middle passenger has to share with one of the other 2 back seat passengers though.

Sad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I hope the pipes out the bottom are connected directly to the toilets.

Kind of a fail on the windows. Looks like a UFO prison.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jymmybob posted:

Finally had the chance to get both of them out for some exercise today. The 968 is super dirty still but I have more things to do before detailing.

what are the details on your 911?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

are they a better fit for tall dudes than NA cars? i raced in a NA spec miata and it was very uncomfortable

I drove an NA and it was easier for me to look over the windshield than through it and every time I let the clutch out my knee would get lodged between the steering wheel and the door. Ended up letting the clutch out 85% and then kinda side stepping off it.

Everything has gotten better since then in terms of ergonomics so I bet the NCs are at least somewhat better.

Tbf I'm 6'6".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Here's a picture of my ride for the "Post your own ride" thread.

Looks like it rubs a lot. Does it rub a lot?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheGoatTrick posted:

I posted this car here about 10 years ago, but I cleaned it up and did ceramic coating last week so I'm posting it again.

Man that looks nice, well done.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SquirrelGrip posted:

MR2’s look small but fit big people

100% correct. At 6'6" and 225 I DD'd mine for a year or two.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LeeMajors posted:

I couldn’t drive my ex’s NA with the top up (6’3)

I'm sure I couldn't have even gotten into it with the top up.

The only time I ever drove them was when I worked for a Pontiac/Jeep/Eagle/Mazda dealer and we had to drive all the cars over to the Wal-Mart parking lot for the annual tent sale.

A horde of 20 something idiot car salesmen racing Miatas through town. I'm sure anyone that saw it was really impressed. I remember one guy yanking the ebrake in Miata when he was doing 50 or so.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This thing was basically private jet level of luxury on the roads,

This made me think of the used Olds Toronado Trofeo I bought when I was 19.

The white pearl had a huge amount of pearl in it and looked really great.

Had 16" wheels when the standard was 14".

I love big two doors.

It didn't just have ash trays on each side for the rear passengers, it had cig lighters on each side for the rear passengers.

Flip up headlight concealer thingies.

The GM 3800 is a good engine but it really shoulda been the supercharged version which it wasn't.

There was an optional CRT touch screen in the dash. In the goddamn 90s. Mine didn't have it, which was probably a good thing.

I miss that thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Old Binsby posted:

Huh, never saw anything like that before. Oldsmobile wasn't really sold much in europe I think so that makes sense. It looks weirdly off somehow... but not unattractive. Also it seems kind of compact but it probably isn't really if you can actually take rear passengers in that 2 door coupe.
It looks like what I'd expect to result from a sweet and innocent 200ZX getting hot 'n' heavy with a pushy jock 80s LeBaron that one night after prom.

We'll be fiiiine. Who uses protection babe, that's lame

Yeah I think there's something that seems not quite right with the proportions, but that's part of what I liked about it. And yeah, they weren't compact. I'm 6'5" and I could sit comfortably in the back and they had a massive trunk.

Dennis McClaren posted:

That's a nice ride. Don't think I've ever seen one driving on the road in the US.

They would probably be considered America's answer to a 2 door sportyish Mercedes but they probably cost as much as a Mercedes so predictably they weren't very successful.

They also basically looked like a messed up Pontiac before they refreshed them:

The new body didn't share any sheet metal except the hood.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Goober Peas posted:

It looks off because when GM rolled it out in 1986 it was 2 feet shorter. The shorter car's proportions were long wheelbase with short overhangs. Visually they tried to 'simulate' overhangs by ending the roofline before the rear wheels. Sales fell through the floor and in 1990 they added 2 feet onto the front (and mostly) the back. But they didn't move the roofline, so in addition to having a 'simulated' long trunk it had an actual long trunk. Causing the awkward proportions.

The trunk went from large to enormous as a result.

The Riviera had the same treatment (short overhangs then an extra 2 feet added), but looked better proportionally because most of the trunk extension was slanted (a la the earlier 80s version).

Either way, the Trofeo was like the coolest car ever in the late 80s/early 90s if not for the advertising and tech.

There you go, that explains it.

Darchangel posted:

Don't forget the digital dash.
I still think they are good-looking cars, and I absolutely love those turbine wheels.

Mine didn't have the full digital dash. I think they quit doing that in 1990 and went back to analog for the main cluster but then added a bunch of digital poo poo to the center stack.

This was the older one:

And this is the newer one:

Yeah I swear those might be the best looking factory wheels on any production American car in 1990. I loved the wheels, the big flat dual exhaust, the headlight covers, and the tail lights.

It also had a ton of little luxury/technology touches that you just didn't see very often then. Radio controls (that lit up!) on the steering wheel. Even if you didn't get the touch screen you got a digital dash computer thing that I think had distance to empty before anyone else and you could also punch in distance to destination if you were on a road trip so you always knew how far away you were. And it'd do ETA at your current speed and poo poo. Trunk and doors popped open electronically. Had leveling air suspension (I think only in the back). Electronic HVAC.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dennis McClaren posted:

So about 2 weeks after purchasing my Acura CL, I was rear-ended on the highway. I only had liability insurance, and the car was totalled. I was pretty depressed about the total loss.

Then, I got an Email from an old college buddy. We both owned Volvo's/Saabs while in school, and we drove each others cars and worked on each others cars for many years. He said he was putting up his Volvo wagon for sale, and since he just moved close to me nearby, I should come take a look.

Why didn't the other guys insurance cover it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tremek posted:

People with ample power at their disposal not using it because they’re poo poo drivers, and underpowered cars being dangerous, are two valid problems that are not mutually exclusive.

The Mirage did sort-of-ok in a relatively low speed test against a sled that’s 30% lighter than the average car on the road today.

The Accent, less well...

Who mentioned body-on-frame and what are you referring to?

God help you if you’re in a early 00s F150 with overlap...

Greatest hits:
https://youtu.be/Qk0CAN4wr7A

That Versa vs Sentra was amazing, don't think Id seen that video before.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suburban Dad posted:

Might live in a no fault state. I currently do and it loving blows.

That's hosed up, I didn't even realize that was a thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wife's car with the wheels/snow tires off my 2012 Camry on it, posted mostly because I think it looks especially awesome for having -2" wheels on it (these are 17s, factory is 19s).

e: and I love that fuckin color

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

It is a great color but let us not forget the front of it.
She hates the front of it too but likes the "black chrome" or whatever over the bright chrome just enough that she decided she could live with it. If it only came in the bright I don't think she woulda bought it.

davebo posted:

directional wheels that go the wrong direction can drop dead.

It's an Accord, not a Corvette.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charles posted:

You mean this??

Not a video, an article in Sport Compact Car. By Dave Coleman IIRC, who now works at Mazda.

I remember the hell out of this article.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It is done.

I'm glad I didn't go bigger, this feels about perfect. Will hopefully get out in the dirt this weekend, weather permitting.

(bed cover isn't shut because the old tires/wheels are in there)

35x12.50 Cooper AT3 XLTs and BDS 4" coilover lift

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

track day bro! posted:

Doesn't help that I see about 9000 golf R's a day due to all the cheap lease deals on them. A mate has a R estate which is nice and yeah its fast but it all feels a bit sterile. I mean it's his daily, but for me I'd just get annoyed that I've got this nice fast car and I'm slogging up and down the M40 in rush hour traffic. Makes more sense to get something thats not too powerful and fun or just something boring imo.

For some content, also interior and a pic of my new seat.

Seeing as the weathers nice I might start looking for some TD's :mrgw:

Not trying to offend in case it was you, but I'd take that shift knob and throw it into the nearest gutter.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MetaJew posted:

Idk how to take car photos

Those are the same wheels I use for the snow tires on my Accord hybrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You should.