Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else ever wonder that with all the blows he takes to his skull, Ippo is hallucinating all these fights after a certain point in the past of the series series and he's just a vegetable or something dreaming all this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else kinda expect that punch to be so hard to his temple that his exposed eyeball just pops right out?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That one punch that Ippo ate full on his face looked almost exactly like the punch Manny Paquiao took when he was knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez. It was glorious. Eagerly awaiting Hajime no Brain Damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGI2GlURxbM

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I'd just like to point out that there's been pretty much no reaction to the suggestion Ippo has brain damage now.

lol

Anyone who didn't think there wasn't some form of dain bramage is as delusional as Ippo thinking he can make it to the World Title.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I will laugh my loving rear end off if Mashiba gets knocked out on purpose just to run back and try and kick Sendo's rear end. Thereby making Sendo too injured to put up a decent fight in his match. All to show Ippo you have to turn into a psychopath in order to make it to the world.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How the gently caress can you have two issues with 18 plus pages and the last issue only be 12 goddamn pages???? The art illustrating squints getting mauled is pretty badass. :black101:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mangastream has three chapters up settling Sendo's fight. Good stuff Takamura is up next.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Illustrations of people's faces looking like they get hit by pneumatic jackhammers owns. :colbert: illustrations of a big toe getting ripped to shreds nail and all is just :gonk:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So......Ippo is dead right? Or brain dead? Man this manga got dark real fuckin fast. I wonder if all that training will have him transition into being discovered to run Sasuke-like obstacle courses, Ninja Warrior. Or he's just dead and dreams die a slow painful death when you block punches with your face.

Odds of having coach hang himself in the ring?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

ippo will still fight with cte dont you worry all you stockholm syndrome guys

Ippo will change his name to Daniel Bryan and it'll all be good again.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lol who here on the forums reminded Mangastream that we needed to know how far Ippo's brain damage goes?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wrong thread.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kinda messed up Morikawa would have two masked Luchas just unmask so casually like that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The tape on Sendo's gloves are coming off, I'm guessing that's why it was stopped. Good loving lord what a good fight.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New Issue out: https://mangadex.org/chapter/955355

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Alf's taking a page from the Ippo playbook here...

Except, you know, on purpose.

If it was only a few inches lower that punch would have pushed the bridge of his nose inward. But then again both of these guys faces should be shattered. So like is Sendo going to lose ability to box with his right hand?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Patware posted:

"well sendo your right hand is unfortunately now kind of a meat puree inside a hand skin sack"

Tbf That awesome loving uppercut was his left hand not his right.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

THAT'S IT???? TEN loving PAGES????

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New Chapter is out

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1309#page=1

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KingShiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpYU43QU4c

Yeah, a guy that can throw a smash from any angle is loving scary.

:stare: Jesus he continued a fight against Tyson in his prime with a broken loving jaw????

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1314#page=1

New chapter has been out. Well, I guess that's a very Morikawa way to go about things.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So he's got to be cheating some how right? Or are they really playing up this insane lucky streak?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Also it just dawned on me that Satoru Iwata is also a Mahjong master in HnI. :stare:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Man I wanna see this poo poo animated so bad.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Sooooo....what's the catch gonna be here? So far this is has been little more than a glorified Takamura vs jobber fight. I'm getting more and more Ippo vs Guevara vibes from this, as weird as that sounds.

Probably getting punched in that one eye they're always afraid about.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah having Lucky Guy essentially turn into Glass Joe after one clean hit is ultimately disappointing, not unheard of in boxing, but for dramatic purposes is kinda weak.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

pnumoman posted:

...what a clever way of slamming down paragraphs worth of description about the next opponent without showing much of anything...yes, clever...

This manga.

If it saves him having to draw four issues of it so he can rest up for Mashiba fights I'll take that trade.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spoilers

*Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit*

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Everyone here has been punched in the head way too much to post apparently

Chapter 1356

Pretty sure we're gonna have a boxer die on their feet next issue just a total Apollo vs Drago finish

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 11, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nobody's going to die in the ring.

It's going to be in a hospital where Ippo cries over their bed and promises to win for them. All while his gf is giving him the death stare and tries to manipulate him from going back to boxing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chapter 1360

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where's Ippo's enormous Thanksgiving hog??????? next issue*

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Everyone's weekly massive hog fix is here

https://mangadex.org/chapter/3530d698-8aba-4e01-9248-5221f7b98f45/1

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I did enjoy Takamura mentally freaking out that Ippo was keeping up, barely, while being weighted down. with his massive hog

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 29, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I'm really wondering when we're finally going to have someone address Takumura's right eye loving up

Yeah the glint of it whitening out, there's something very wrong going on there that's going to cost him his titles

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9f06e87e-3793-44de-b1c2-71d07cb95abe/1

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

God she sucks so much.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Monaghan posted:

The manga just had a conversation in which Kumi detailed how her brother's jaw was broken, Ippo responded by telling a story about another boxer whose jaw got so hosed up that he needed plastic surgery and now has troubled chewing. She's seen Ippo getting brutally beaten multiple times. She's also a nurse and likely has an acute understanding of the lifelong problems boxers can face.

But somehow she's an rear end in a top hat for not wanting her brother or ippo to box.

If it is the author's constant interpretation of having her constantly give death glares go out of her way to disapprove of her brother being in boxing and Ippo, and or doing passive aggressive poo poo in order for the reader to have dramatic tension. That's how I'm going to interpret it. The author could very well have her plainly explain her feelings and reservations about her fears that Ippo will go back and box like a loving adult, but that's not what this is. This poo poo has been going on since like, the 80s???? Morikawa very much writes using tv drama tropes and that's totally cool, it's part of the charm of this whole series about Ippo's enormous hog and sometimes about boxing badly.

She's written not well as a potential love interest because she's too much like Ippo when it comes to personality. There have already been a few women in his orbit that acknowledge his passion for boxing while also bringing up the dangers of that life and not going passive aggressive about poo poo.

I just really don't like how she's written as a character, and love interest, and it's just more so when you're dealing with adults just not expressing themselves all for the sake of years of lingering dramatic tension.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vizuyos posted:

Do we even see Kumi actually enjoying her time with Ippo and having fun anymore?

It feels like every single time she appears, something boxing-related is happening while she's giving Ippo and friends an evil eye in the background

This is kinda how I see it as well. While the Mashiba family Death Glares are almost always funny, the more it happens the more I'm just like if all you're going to do is worry and not educate your dumb as bricks boyfriend that "blocking punches with your face is a bad style of boxing to learn why not shift to a different style or get an actual good coach to learn from"?

For me it's just accepting how Morikawa wants Kumi to be written, but I tend to have a difficult time interpreting her motivations while rooted in genuine caring comes across as being wishy washy or just fear that Ippo would somehow dump her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chapter 1380