Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

those ufo shots are super cool.

this seems like its the defacto post your recent pic threads and the beach is kind of a landscape so I thought I'd share these. we went for a swim and i decided to take a couple shots while we were there, since i can never get good exposure on all the reflections off the water at midday I thought I'd try out the diffusion filter I picked up for a couple bucks second hand. it kind of made everything seem out of focus but I think the effect on the highlights off the water is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

murk posted:

Very cool. Whats the location here?

Thanks!! Currumbin beach on the Gold Coast, Australia

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

this image is the strongest of the lot. im into the effect.

thank you! i think that one is my favourite as well, i just wish i'd moved to the right to get the cityscape in that frame too. I'm still at the 'take a load of shots and see what sticks' stage and I need to work on composition.

I like the vibe here, something sort of serene about a workplace without the workers.

This is a stunning image, congrats.

I really like this one too. great colours!

I watched a video about the landscape photographer Toshio Shibata, who is apparently famous for never including the sky in his shots, and was feeling a little inspired. I shot these straight down the side of a fairly large cliff, but I think the scale got kind of lost and these just look like small rocks instead, but oh well. My first proper attempt at colour grading (the images were much more green to start with, I tried to reduce the contrast between the water and the rest of the images, maybe it didnt work but I've gone back and forth so many times I can no longer tell lol).

I think I might drop the final one from the series, the angle doesn't really match the rest and loses the strong shadows because it was shot from the side the sun was on rather than straight down, but I like the pooling in the indentations around the rocks.

field balm fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 24, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I got a zoom lens, manual focus is hard

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

yeah its pretty bad. is it just a cheap lens, or because its super zoomed in (about 200mm on a crop sensor)? obviously very overcast, is it because the background was so bright vs the subject? i was stepped down to 8 or 11 or something.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

Chromatic aberration is always due to your lens. Basically it happens because the lens focuses different wavelengths of light at very slightly different distances from the imaging plane. It'll be worse on cheaper zooms, and especially at the far ends of the zoom range as it gets harder to correct across the entire frame along the whole zoom range. Correcting it requires a lot more complexity and therefore cost so usually lens designers settle for getting it good enough for most of the range on cheap lenses and expect that you'll live with it at the far end of the zoom. It's much simpler to correct for on prime lenses too which is why you usually only see it on kit lenses and cheap superzooms.

Thank you for the explanation! I'd only experienced small amounts of it with my kit lens, I wasn't really expecting so much on the zoom but it makes sense. I paid like one dollar plus shipping for a tamron 28-200 so I can't complain for the price.

VelociBacon posted:

In case you weren't aware, you can click a box to correct for CA in Lightroom. It isn't perfect but it works well enough.

Bottom Liner posted:

In LR Classic it'll be the purple slider under lens corrections (I think), but it will clean that up pretty well.

Unfortunately I'm still using darktable, fancier software is the next thing on my list after a monitor upgrade. The CA tools in darktable are able to reduce it a little but not really fix it. There was another obvious way to reduce it in post:

I like how the original image almost looked black and white except for the yellow plugs on the cables (ignoring the chromatic abberation) but it doesn't lose too much in b&w.

I love these - the ocean is truly the sickest landscape.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Love this one - I always attempt to stay in tall buildings near trainlines in Tokyo for these views lol.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just gorgeous

These are great - the Americana pics you've been posting inspired me to get out and shoot some Aussie looking stuff.

This is a somewhat iconic local storefront, I took one from across the street with nice lined up framing that I prefer but there was a bunch of modern cars parked in front that kind of ruined the vibe lol. Might try again another time!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Found a cool scene from a bridge nearby. I think I like the framing in the first one more. Thoughts on black and white for landscapes? I know people say you should have a reason to use it but i just think it looks neat.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

shot some actual landscapes! sticking with black and white for now.

this format is awesome, is it shot panorama or cropped down from a bigger image? great sky.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

maxe posted:

awesome!

Thank you!

Blackhawk posted:

I could imagine a crop of the unnatural looking trees in the foreground of this one.

I'll give it a shot but my camera only shoots 6mp so it might not work out. I'll look through the rest of the shots later, I may have taken a more zoomed in one of them.

It's a wierd spot where they grow pines (? I think) for lumber, it's a big contrast from the usual Australian flora.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love it

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ric posted:

Greenwich

The lot of these are lovely but I adore this one. It's at once warm and cosy because of the brick blocks and orange light, cold because of the rain and wet weather, and sublime because of the scale of the city in the background being obscured by the clouds. These of photos where you feel like you're looking out a window are probably my favourite types of pictures.

I love this one. Great colours, and the empty pool/ex-pool and bare concrete are sick, brutalist summer vibes.

Very interesting framing! makes the subject matter pretty mysterious.

Kind of boring stuff comparatively but I shot some stuff during blue hour around the lake i live next to.
Its pretty placid but there were a couple of people boating about and I think the ripples look interesting. Shot with my soligor 35mm f2.8 on a crop sensor - i usually shoot it at f8 but it was dark so these are all a little fuzzy at 2.8

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I definitely agree with black and white for this kinda stuff, I'm editing some pics from a national park at the moment and the couple I've decided to keep in colour have been hard work. It's hard to make an image that's like 90 shades of green look nice.

big fan of the colours in this!

field balm fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 15, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

These are just incredible. I get a big part of it is just beautiful places with amazing lighting but you obviously have a great eye for this.

What length lens are you shooting with? Also, out of interest do you you do a lot of editing for this end result? The canyons are especially mindblowing for me, having never seen landscapes like that in real life.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Nice shots! Mt Tamborine? I feel like I've taken that second one lol

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

post-hardcore album cover

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Haven't posted in a while and didn't want to go back a million pages for quoting but I love all of these.

This one is really nice, a lot of detail even with how sunny it is.

Also, big appreciator of the "chad driving meme" style photos.

I'm still trying to make black and white work, my editing needs work though. i'll probably buy some real photo editing software soon instead of darktable, simply because of there being a lot more information on how to do stuff in lightroom or whatever. went to a flower festival a couple weeks back:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Megabound posted:

helpful feedback about setting the white point

hey, thanks for taking the time to do that! honestly the method I'd been using (whatever the default filmic rgb thing is) was less straightforward then what you posted about. I guess stuff not being super clear is par for the course for free open source software.

I think in my head I was equivalating bright whites with the trauma of all my early over exposed colour stuff lol, but you're correct in that it really makes the image pop. The raws from my nikon come out of the camera with very low contrast, I've gotta come to terms with making big changes instead of just nudging things around.

All great but i really like this one - cool how the sign or whatever is parallel to the trains and kind of resolves the wierd angle of the building just behind the trains

super pleasing, really perfect framing without it feeling artificial at all.

Again all great but I really like this one, great crop

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm in South Korea right now, haven't really had a chance to go through and edit all my pictures (kinda sucks doing it on a phone) but I thought these 2 from Nami Island went nicely together

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 26, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

^^^ really like the interior ones, tompepper (though theyre all great)

Mt. Namsan/N Seoul Tower from a distance

Myeongdong

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 31, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

hell yeah

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love these, first 2 especially!

slowly getting round to editing some pics from Seoul, these are some of my favourites taken with a zoom from the 120th floor

e: seeing them all together the editing is still hit and miss fml

this but taking pictures/editing them

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 11, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

hey thanks for all the kind words!

blue squares posted:

I would love to be able to take some photos like this on my next trip, but it can be really hard to find a place with such a view that has public access

I feel like most big cities have some sort of giant building with a viewing deck, one of my favourite tourist things to do really! These were taken from the viewing deck in the Seoul Sky building, hard to tell but theyre through like several inch thick glass while being jostled by all the tourists up there, there were a bunch that didn't focus properly or had wierd reflections etc.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I honestly like the original framing the most but the light is a bummer.

love this one (shout out cylinders, gotta be one of my favourite shapes)

This one is my favourite from the set. Why is the grain so big? Really old film or something (I dont know poo poo about film photography)? Great look eitherway

These are all amazing to be honest, I didn't even realise they were colour for a couple of minutes. Sublime location

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 14, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

this entire page loving slaps goddamn guys

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love it. super satisfying

this has a great vibe. its crazy how you look at your own photography so differently to other peoples - i would have edited it so differently but love how you did it, i find green really hard to get right and you nailed it.

man, thank you so much for the kind words! I really love the colours on this one.

Insane framing on these! how much thought do you put into it when you're taking the shots vs editing them? i still find myself spraying and praying way too much to get shots this intentional. Personally, I've no issue with the tree on the side, I think bottom liner's second edit is cool but also messes with the nice ratios you had in the original.

I like this one the most out of the three you posted! Are these from an older digicam or something?

I'm going crazy trying to edit a couple hundred photos at the same time rn, any advice for staying objective except taking a break for a while? lol

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The people have spoken. Have more rocks.

xzzy posted:

My rocks aren't as rad but I took this back in the summer and it feels on topic now.

Perhaps the secret is to crush the blacks??

gaddamn those are some nice rocks

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Gonna have to disagree. The shorter focal lengths just require you to zoom with your feet and be an active participant.

21 mm:

28 mm:

goddamn, I also prefer around 50mm but there's no arguing with those results

El Laucha posted:

I've been trying to get back to taking photos

big fan of these also!

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 4, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

yea this one is very nice

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

beautiful stuff. Love the colours

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

loving all of these!

while I'm sticking to black and white generally I have been trying to learn colour grading, mainly for a vintage filmic look. what do you think, are these overcooked? I wanted them to be warm but still have blue skies etc. i think theyre probably overdone since red is starting to go magenta.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

as i get used to Lr, i'm agonizing over minor details and wondering if my edits are any better than the original versions of photos or if i'm just making a big mess of things. after a while i can't even tell what looks good or not or better or worse staring at the same image too long lol.

original

stupid edit

Honestly I think the colours are very nice in the original, and still fine in your edit - I kind of prefer the greenish tint on the headlights in the original but thats just a taste thing. I think the crop you made does the image a disservice though, the foreground is the more interesting part of the image compared to the empty blue sky at the top and you've cut it off part way through a car. Crushed blacks are dramatic but it would be interesting to see with some more exposure on the forground? Nice shot eitherway!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Going through some shots from the last Norway trip here.

DQ6J3546-5 by C M, on Flickr

This is super nice.

haruspicy posted:

the teal of the building in the center is a step too far into unreality for me but given the water and sky don’t look read too saturated maybe it’s just an aggressive paint job! are they both korea or just the second?

thanks - yeah the bright teal and the reds are what have me questioning it too. Here's the raw without any editing, the paint job is pretty aggressive but it came out a little too neon!

Those photos are both from South Korea - the first one is Songdo Beach and the second is near Haeundae Beach, both in Busan!

Here's a shot that is a little bit bland otherwise but the sky came out really good:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

absolutely crushing it lately mr squares! these 2 especially are great imo

Wibla posted:

A couple of shots from today.

Z7 II, 24-70 f/4 S at 70mm, f/8, 1/1600, ISO 64

great shot, excellent framing!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

b&w infrared or something? trippy, the one with the stream is real cool

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 29, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

double post sorry

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

meant to shout out this one in my post yesterday. absolutely love it

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

toggle posted:

Jan 1st, 2024.

great shot, amazing colours!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Some older shots, still going through tens of thousands of unprocessed files here.

DSC_0638 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0718 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0759 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_0850-3 by CM, on Flickr

these are all sick but i especially like the one with the boat for scale

been trying to take some photos locally, i've been spoiled by a lot of travel lately and im trying to put in effort to see my regular surroundings as something other than boring lol

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

hell yeah

LOVE the boiler (?) one. I really like the framing/composition on the last one but kinda want more contrast or blacks, looks like it was overcast and like the middle of the day though so i get it.

bit of a grab bag from me today

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

blue squares posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that I needed more contrast. Here's a better take

313A5215 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

way better! great photo

blue squares posted:

How did you get that perspective?

there's a convenient cliff with a lookout just there lol

Your pic with the duck in it is awesome, I love that you cut off the sky/horizon

absolutely sublime, huge fan of this one.

i got back the roll of film (kodak gold 200) i stuck in a pentax pc100, it looks like poo poo but its kind of fun. its a fixed focus/focus free lens with one shutter speed (i think 1/100), so i took one picture of some ducks that was sharp but everything else is kind of out of focus and over exposed lol. oh well, only editing i bothered with is some cropping. I think I'll just use it for family and friends stuff, some of the flash pics i took with it on christmas came out nice enough.

by far my favourite image from the roll is this one of my niece: