Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

WWE couldn't even be bothered to book a compelling torch-passing story with Cena. He just kind of started losing more frequently, in less spectacular scenarios. Most notably, losing clean to Nakamura en route to a successful Jinder title defense, and losing clean to Roman on some random C-show PPV with like 2 weeks build. By the time he did the jokey Undertaker match there was no real intrigue left to that pairing.

Even his fun US Title run a couple years earlier ended on a weird random note with Alberto Del Rio, who went on to do boring "League of Nations" stuff.

They were probably going to do that at WrestleMania against Lars Sullivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Who are the most trustworthy and untrustworthy sources in wrestling? I love listening to podcasts and shoots on YT for wrestling history but I'm never quite sure who to believe.

I mainly stick with Meltzer and Cornette.

I never listen to Bruce Prichard because he doesn't seem to be capable of admitting the WWE ever did anything wrong.

Fumi Saito since you already listen to Meltzer and for something different The Voices of Wrestling Flagship.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm kicking myself for never hearing anything by Fumi Saito before Pacific Rim Podcast became a thing, he's a wonderful, wonderful man.

Dave tended to talk about Wally more than Fumi before Fumi joined the site. So if you didn't read the "Special Thanks" paragraph no one reads you wouldn't really know about his reputation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's the first finisher that had a real, well-known name exclusive to that wrestler's variation of the move?

I guess it'd be Evan Lewis using the rear naked choke and being called The Strangler because he used the Stranglehold.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Super Dragon was cool as hell and while his gear looked kind of silly in 2007 it was top tier gear during the Revolution Pro days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr E posted:

I'm extremely new to wrestling, I randomly turned on some NJPW while at a hotel during a trip a few months ago and instantly loved it, and was mad I didn't watch earlier. I don't like anything the WWE is doing, so I've stuck with watching NJPW and AEW. Are there any other organizations worth checking out (I know this is a very subjective question)? I see Impact on Twitch on Fridays and it seems fun, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else.

CMLL streams for free on youtube Mondays (Puebla), Tuesdays (Arena Mexico) and on the Marca Claro Facebook on Fridays (the important Arena Mexico show.) Watch the Friday shows at least they are the best weekly shows out there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I really hope this kid is getting lots of therapy.

gently caress I can't imagine what he's going through

He used to sleep in his dad's tights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Wait, seriously? Where did that story come from?

He would tweet about it. He deleted them but a few years ago he'd tweet pics of himself with the gear and mentioned he slept in it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody recommend me Hollywood Hogan best matches between 96-98? I'm watching Hogan / Nash v Piper / Giant and it's a simple tag match with a volcanic crowd. Did heel Hogan always command this respect??

You are better off watching his promos from mid 97-fall 98 as the matches are rarely good but the character work is incredible. Flair/Hogan from Uncensored 99 is incredibly stupid but kind of goodish. Hogan/Macho Man from Havoc 96 is worth seeing too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When's the weird promo where he references Waco?

August 96 hyping up Clash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
She had a great match in SHIMMER with MsChif.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sorry to kind of clog up this thread (and especially since this question is probably not gonna go over great), but discussion in the Network thread re: Benoit got me thinking.

Is there something I'm missing with that whole case? Because it seems like, by the time of his death, Benoit was so brain-damaged from repeated concussions that he couldn't reasonably be considered in control of his actions or of sound mind. With that in mind, it seems really odd to treat him like one of the business' greatest monsters when, to me, it sounds more like he and his family are just more tally marks on Vince's body count.

e: And like, I don't even mean that in some kind of insane conspiracy-theory way, I just mean that if it weren't for WWE's horribly unsafe working practices and lack of any type of give-a-gently caress about their workers' long-term health Benoit and his family would probably still be alive.

Benoit had been abusive towards Nancy previously and she'd filed for divorce in 2003 because of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I don't know where this "Oh, Benoit just went crazy without warning" thing came from, given he had a record of abuse towards Nancy at the least, a history of bullying so far beyond normal locker room stuff that the term sadistic could be used, and the fact he planned and tried to cover up the murders, which shatters the mental break thing totally.

I guess it was because he was a good worker. Hogan or Warrior or one of the other garden variety douchebags in the business certainly would not have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

For that era I don't think his locker room bullying was really that far beyond normal. I mean, it wasn't. It was bad poo poo but the wrestlers of that era accepted it as normal so they didn't see it as a warning sign until after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't remember that, but I do remember Daivari telling a similar story about Benoit making him do like 500 squats or something as a punishment for whatever.

I also remember reading something someone said after the murders about how Benoit was crazy obsessed with wrestling. Like they literally could not talk to him about other interests or hobbies or whatever, he only wanted to discuss wrestling, to the point where they felt very weirded out by it.

Benoit didn't make him do it as a punishment, Daivari wrote at the time that he saw Conway and Benoit doing it as their prematch workout and wanted to try it himself.

Also Miz didn't just get crumbs on the bag he apparently got enough crumbs and grease on it that it got pretty gross. He was definitely in the wrong there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FakePoet posted:

I know I see it referenced every now and then, how adept a particular wrestler is at really selling the late 2 count, so...what are some of the best 2.99999 counts? I imagine the context of a given match/moment enhances this sort of thing a lot.

Morishima kicking out of Claudio/Cesaro's Ricola Bomb from ROH Death Before Dishonor V Night 1. People swore he kicked out after 3. Incredible match and that one spot, him getting the giant dude up for the power bomb and so many people thinking he won was an amazing moment.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Alex Shelley should've beaten Austin Aries at Manhattan Mayhem II

That would've been really stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Holy poo poo, that's also the opening theme to Coast to Coast AM!

Little known fact The Rock N Roll Express used Midnight In the Desert as their theme.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't the guy who lost that match the current Sin Cara?

Edit: And the guy who lost went back to Mexico and fought a guy who had taken his old gimmick while he was gone, beat him... but then he changed his name anyway and let the other guy keep the old one?

He went back to Mexico and joined AAA where they called him Myzteziz. He then left after a year and started doing Lucha Libre Elite. AAA trademarked the name, so he floated using the name Mistic2.0 to trick AAA into trademarking it and started using Caristico instead. He eventually went back to CMLL where there is someone else using the Mistico gimmick.

The current Mistico was Dragon Lee before taking the Mistico gimmick. The current Dragon Lee is the current Mistico's brother. Still with me?

Caristico and Mistico will tease tension sometimes but are teaming more than they are wrestling. They haven't had a feud over the name or mask.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

And to add to what MRT said:

The current Sin Cara is from Juarez, and he used the name Mistico in border towns and northern Mexico for years before CMLL repackaged Astro Boy as their Mistico. Because Mexican trademark law is weird and, from the lucha cases that have made news, doesn't appear to make any sense, he ended up being barred from using the name. In AAA, he was Incognito, though he would still use names like "Mystico" and "Mistico de Juarez" in the areas where he was well-known. In 2010, he signed with WWE, being assigned to FCW and working as "Hunico." In 2011, Triple H snags CMLL Mistico as one of his first big signings and has him skip developmental...only for there to be a bunch of complaints about his attitude and a drug test positive with a quickness.

Before the suspension was up, they brought Hunico to the main roster...as Sin Cara. Keep in mind that the two Misticos HATED each other.There were VERY subtle hints dropped on commentary, subtle enough that they wouldn't matter if Hunico assumed the Sin Cara gimmick permanently. Just as it seemed like it was going to happen, Hunico had a disastrously bad match at a SmackDown taping, they had to reshoot the whole thing, and they decided to turn him heel as fake Sin Cara/Sin Cara Negro while bringing back CMLL Mistico as real Sin Cara/Sin Cara Azul. Then Negro cut a bilingual TitanTron promo on Azul where he went over the legit backstory—saying that Sin Cara stole his identity as Mistico, so he was repaying the favor—though none of it was explained by the English announcers. Azul won a mask match, Negro was repackaged as an unmasked Hunico...and eventually Azul/CMLL Mistico was cut with Hunico replacing him in the gimmick.

Whew.

We don't really know if the current Sin Cara used the name Mistico first. I've never seen an actual match record of him wrestling as Mistico prior to 2004 when Caristico got the gimmick. If he did he probably started using it within a year of Caristico getting the gimmick.

Incognito is legitimately one of the lamest high flying luchadors I have ever seen. He sucked when he'd get US indie dates, his flying is just very awkward. His mat work is fine, but he wasn't brought in to do that. It made even less sense for him to be brought in as Sin Cara because Caristico is just so incredible at what he does in terms of flying moves. It was never going to work with someone who can't really fly, and that's why he botched everything in his debut and then changed directions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Sidenote to all this Sin Cara-talk, it looked like he (Hunico) was getting to a good point when he and Kalisto had their NXT tag run, since Kalisto would do all the highflying and Sin Cara would be the stronger/power-guy, with his cool one-arm powerbomb move. Bummer that kinda went nowhere.

Sort of related (and probably already asked, but this thread is huge): who is the biggest, most high-profile wrestler to get signed by WWE to end up being a HUGE flop? Like, tons and tons of hype, initial big push, then slumming it on the preshow rumble matches within a year or so? Sin Cara (1&2) definitely fit this, but anyone else come to mind?

Caristico didn't even get the big push. They started feuding him with Chavo within a month because Chavo MUST know lucha (he didn't) and then moved onto Matt Sydal who he actually had a cool match.

But he's definitely the most glaring example of how much their system sucks and the biggest star they've completely flopped with. His run in the mid 2000s is among the hottest in the history of the business and when he went back to Mexico he immediately went back to being a spectacular wrestler. But WWE completely dropped the ball. Much bigger star than Nakamura. Probably on the level as Vader but WWF got more out of Vader.

Barry Windham was a big flop but was also past his peak.

Randaconda posted:

AEW isn't competition yet, Vince will ignore it until it starts affecting the bottom line.

He's already offering longer contracts with bigger guarantees so he's not ignoring AEW at all. Along with taking shots at them personally.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

and told ciampa to wrestle while injured

vince may be a legit crazy deranged fucker but hhh is a scumbag

And completely ignored/covered up abuse in developmental because he wanted his boy Bill DeMott to train wrestlers the right way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I don't remember anyone kicking out of Jake Roberts' DDT. Not even Undertaker in Jake's final WWF match, he just did the good old "Heel hits his finisher and decides to fart around gloating until the other guy finally gets up"

Undertaker literally no sells the DDT. Actual kick outs happened in WCW. Believe Sting did and I am pretty sure one other person.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

lost my old email posted:

so pancrase was a work, right?

No, for the most part it was a shoot. Sometimes they would do a planned winner if they wanted to get a title off someone, and some matches they'd not plan a winner but kind of try to have a good fight to give the crowd what they wanted but it was mostly a shoot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Yeah, like this was uploaded 11 years ago and he's like almost relatively unknown outside those who really remember poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrgPnz45b8M

I know he's still getting work but look at that talent in a montage from 11 years ago and the footage is even earlier than that. That he hosed his career over so hard with this style is loving incredible. He should be in the conversation with Ricochet, Jack Evans, Will Ospreay, and Kota Ibushi.

Fake Edit: watching this reminded me he was the first guy i remember doing the over the top rope tiger feint kick/619 years before Will Ospreay had even debuted.

He wasn't nearly as good as any of them. His moves were super spectacular but that's all he had. He just could never put it all together and act like a bad rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

That's because they're just called WWE now. It is not short for World Wrestling Entertainment any more, the name is literally just WWE.

Because you know, wrestling is a dirty word.

It is short for World Wrestling Entertainment. This is the most bizarre conspiracy theory ever. I assume it started when they shortened their corporate symbol from WWFE to WWE but I don't get why.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

As far as they're concerned, WWE doesn't mean anything. It's just their name now.

They still use the full World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. name.

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/wwe/SEC/sec-show.aspx?Type=page&FilingId=13584958-2334-3914&CIK=0001091907&Index=11000

or on any of their other releases

quote:

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

Washington, D.C. 20549

Schedule 13G

Under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934

(Amendment No.: 5 )*

Name of issuer: World Wrestling Entertainment Inc

It is still in all of their filings and it was on the post Raw stinger well after 2011. It's the legal name of the company as your release stated.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 16, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Steve Austin ever seriously considered a return to the ring, even in a one off, since he retired? He was pretty beaten up by the end but they managed to shove enough money at Shawn Micheals and I assumed he was done forever.

Then again, Austin probably makes plenty from residuals, his podcast and whatever TV shows he works on.

No, his neck is hosed up so it'd be a bad idea for his health. I doubt he makes much off residuals anymore, the Network basically killed off that revenue stream. Licensing money for the toys and video games are still there though. But he's got money either way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Austin has spinal stenosis. Goldberg is the perfect example of why he shouldn't come back to do even a short match. You can get injured really badly just doing a short match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Until I started talking wrestling on here, it was my experience that Nash was hated across every other wrestling board I ever frequented.

I'm guessing because he was easily the worst in the Kliq in terms of in-ring skill.

My unpopular opinion is I think Scott Hall could have been just as big as Michaels, maybe even bigger, if he had the ambition. Guy had the perfect look, could go in the ring, was good on the mic, had charisma for days - he was destined for all time greatness. It's just that, even discounting his addictions, he never seemed to want the top spot like Kev, Shawn and Hunter did. He was happy with a big paycheck and his placement on he card din't matter beyond that.

Hall was very protective of his spot in WCW, he'd normally only do slip on a banana peel jobs. By the time non Hogan nWo members were getting singles pushes he was a complete mess. It wasn't ambition, his life fell apart and he lost everything resembling talent in the ring even when he was showing up to work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the blob of people is the end goal because wwe post lesnar's first run is NOBODY GETS BIGGER THAN THE BRAND

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics you come up with to claim this is true in the face of John Cena. Current day, sure even though they spent years trying to make Roman the icon of the era but Cena was placed way above everyone else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

How did WWE ever get B4A passed by an athletic commission? (I fully expect the answer to be “lol they didn’t”)

That is in fact the answer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

big black turnout posted:

Who is the sexiest wrestleman and why is it Tetsuya Naito?

Sexxxy Eddy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

Did I hallucinate it or did Stokely Hathaway have a gimmick in Ring of Honor managing Moose and no one knowing his name? It might have been someone else but I feel like I didn’t invent this whole cloth.

When he was doing #THENEWSTREAK gimmick with The Marching Band Guy From CHIKARA this was his gimmick. Corino would state he thought his name was Ramon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cage Kicker posted:

When I think of the Macho Man I think of the whole apocalypse "scare" that was going on at the time he died and the wonderful "Macho Man died for our sins" memes that went around :) I like to think he dropped the big elbow on the J-Man up in the Heavendome and saved humanity.

He's in hell.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Onita style death matches were safer than a normal "great" because you just punched and teased barbed wire poo poo until something blew up. Yeah you bled a lot, but you took very few bumps.

Modern death matches have just as many bumps as normal matches so it's no safer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

It's strange to me how the three choices to move up to the main event in summer '99 were Billy Gunn, HHH and Jeff Jarrett. What if JJ never left WWF? Was he savvy enough to steal away that main event spot from Hunner?

He wasn't going to move up because Austin didn't want to work with him and HHH had been the chosen guy for over a year. WWF thought HHH came off like the main eventer in the Summerslam 98 ladder match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone should stop posting wrong best themes and instead post the correct one.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1079776949906608128

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

I mean, I liked Goldberg, but I don't know how you could say he wasn't limited. He only had a handful of moves that weren't the Spear and Jackhammer. Even in his prime, he rarely ever wrestled long or complex matches. He had a great look, he had a great entrance, and he could do a few things really well, so you could book around his limitations, but they were definitely there. On the mic, again, what he could do, he could do well, but you were pretty much getting one type of promo out of him and that was it. There's a reason Goldberg was the hottest act in the business for a year or two, and he could have been just as hot in WWE... probably also for a year or two.

When you say he didn't succeed in his first run, you mean that stint in WWE where he won the World Heavyweight Title and then was gone a year later? They definitely could have made better use of him, but how do you think he was "sabotaged from the beginning"?

He was sabotaged because they signed him to work a certain number of dates and immediately asked him to do more. When he refused they stooged him off to the locker room to build resentment. So they sabotaged him there. Then they had him work a lot of boring long HHH style main events instead of Goldberg main events and basically wasted all of his value outside of the Rock matches and the Lesnar match.

The Lesnar match obviously sucked but it had a lot of interest when it was booked and even the day of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

Ooh, new question: Which active wrestlers today could work an NWA cosplay match (the kind that Triple H only thinks he's paying tribute to) and actually have it both be good & get over?

Cody, obviously. A lot of older luchadors could too.