Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Von Linus posted:

I never saw battlebowl but I saw the odd clip and Terry Crews looked great and like a star in it. I remembered him from that when he was in other things, which is a testament to how Terry Crews Terry Crews is. I never remember anyone from anything.

hey I know this is a typo but I'm watching wcw ppvs from the early 90s right now and is there anyone, anyone who defends battle bowl as a concept? it's the only parts I've skipped so far because it's a terrible idea and takes forever to get through. the end match is fine, and a twist on the rumble concept which I can appreciate, but having a dozen tag matches with jobbers filling out most of it just kills a ppv dead

e: the first one put some story around sting at least, but lordy it just looks like covering for an extremely thin roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
man, i've read about raven/saturn's free the flock match, but it really is a good one. for one night perry saturn was the most over and perfect babyface in the world. you establish kidman as a face immediately after the stable's breakup. it's such a great stable break-up match. for a group that was mostly jobbers that never won anything, the flock told a pretty good story.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's also the ONLY good match on that PPV, IIRC

oh yeah it was pretty dire. wcw is starting to lurch and strain at this point so i'm anticipating a real downhill ride.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

how did wwf mess up lex so badly? admittedly, i still don't really "get" lex, but crowds in wcw went insane when lex put the rack on. it was like watching people scream at the rock setting up the people's elbow. but nope, wwf couldn't figure out what to do with him.

e: admittedly, the people's elbow is a much sillier finisher than the torture rack, but that's not the point.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

RBX posted:

People not into wrestling have largely forgotten Hogan said the thing. Kevin hart just did a commercial paying homage to him.

i thought that was a macho man impression but regardless you're right

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Numero6 posted:

Holy poo poo their catalog is almost great but the priiiiice...

i wish i were in an income bracket where 50 bucks for razor ramon mesh shorts made sense but alas

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

I think the dumbest thing they ever did with Ernest Miller was have James brown show up as a surprise guest at an Ernest Miller ppv dance segment or something or other. like an actual surprise, it wasn't announced at all before hand. on a ppv. that people aren't gonna scramble to pay for just for the chance to miss James brown.

he was never great but he had a charisma and physical presence to him. honestly in the pantheon of wcw midcarders, he's a more memorable face than most in the crowd.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Novelty top-hats making a return in the mid to late 90s has to be one of the weirdest fashion trends. I had like 3 of them and I was still in elementary school

devil sticks and huge jeans were also in the mainstream, just a really big time for raver guys and people who would be in the background of spin doctors videos

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Scott Steiner replacing the WCW title belt with a replica belt and keeping the original for himself (which he has to this day and apparently WWE never figured out.)

that kicks so much rear end

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i liked the nitro game because it had a million characters at least. wrestling games on playstation were preeeetty rough until wwf smackdown. attitude may have been the first time i was able to acknowledge that something i wanted to like was bad.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

backstage assault really was a miserable game. only rented it, never bought it luckily. and to think it was a case study for what vince russo imagined the ideal form of wrestling to be.

i liked how in smackdown's career mode the titles would be defended on a regular basis whether you're involved or not. so sometimes you end up with, like, ic champ crash holly and it shows the belt on him in his intro, even in the regular vs mode now.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Someone needs to make an Attitude Era wrestling sim game where you take the helm of WCW, ECW or WWF and try to take over the industry.

It’d be fun to play around with “what if” scenarios like what if Shawn Michaels went to WCW, or Hogan never left WWF. Of course I doubt WWE would sign off on such a project.

it's called total elite wrestling and theres multiple different iterations that all have a mod scene, definitely with at least a monday night wars mod for each of them.

i still havent gotten a handle on what it considers "good wrestling stories" but maybe someday i'll figure it out.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

WCW wasted so much money but even if it was just the millionth Hogan squashing someone match they made it feel like a big deal and I respect that

im getting (really really) into osw reviews, and pre-nwo wcw is the best era of bad wrestling to watch, and it is simply astounding that they paid michael buffer so much to do announcing jobs in front of crowds of, like, 6,500, and he never, ever, ever learns anything about the product, the wrestlers, or even the basic rules and concepts of professional wrestling over the entire run.

it was pretty incredibly bad and dumb but yeah dude in the 90s hearing that dude yell "lllllets get ready to ruuumbllleeeeee" was like moths to a flame. just an all-time great catchphrase. it lasted so long he got TWO pretty good dreamcast games.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

benoit was insanely good. i didnt grow up watching bret so when i thought "technical wrestler" i thought benoit. well, until, obviously

he also always got his loving head pounded in as much as possible and its pretty nausea inducing to watch now, of course.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

there was one time that benoit did a dive to the outside and someone did a full on, gently caress you baseball swing of a chair to his head. the wwf was... pretty fuckin bad for awhile on that front.

(granted a career of diving headbutts definitely has its share, but jesus)

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 7, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

I can't remember if it was the split of the Steiners or right after it, but when buff came back after breaking his neck and played the sympathy return face thing for a little bit before turning on Rick Steiner it was the best total dickhead heeling he's ever done.

I don't know if I'd ever call buff "good" but he certainly came a long way from one half of American males (American males American males)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I want a time machine to pluck Bischoff from 1997 and show him what he did wrong so WCW doesn't die.

a butterfly effect pseudo sequel where bischoff tries to go back to fix the booking to wcw but never quite saves it, and in the end he uhhhhhh. kills hulk Hogan in the womb or something? that movie was weird.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Ah yes, giving the company to Kevin Nash will save WCW.

two and a half years of big sexy presents monday nitro would be a good time for all the fellas though. just burning a billionaire's money and doing whatever until the suits start to notice then everyone scatters. i had a theater class in high school one year where the teacher left in the first month and a football coach was our sub so we just did breakfast club teen poo poo every day because he couldn't care less and the school certainly wasnt concerned what the theater kids were up to and of course it couldn't last, but it somehow did until almost the end of the year and it was awesome. and it was two periods and got honors credits so it was basically the public school equivalent of burning billionaire ted's money too.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Adaptabullshit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANKljb1p-Q

You would never have thought the original was a seal song

its one of those things in my mind that, like, of course i know that seal must have had hair at some point but i refuse to really believe it.

also ya that was one of wcw's more blatant ripoffs. and they had some doozies.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

the photons are hitting my eyeballs but my brain is just producing static, sorry

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

please tell me wwe tried to sue over Scott hall's hair or like the concept of using a toothpick

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i mean it is a good thing that scott stopped doing the accent, and i always liked the dripping blood gear he wore WAY more than his razor gear anyway.

lol that "wrestling boots" was seriously a thing they were claiming as damages, cmon fellas, you're hurting your own case here when you get this crazy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Literally every photo of Buff Bagwell is more ridiculous than the last

i love him hes perfect

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

coconono posted:

What the hell was Marc Mero thinking

ill have you know that johnny b badd was one of the hotter acts in wcw at the time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

gary spivey? of the psychic companions network? what are you doin' here?!

is that the wcw ppv that has missy Hyatt getting chased out of the mens locker room by stan Hansen in tighty whiteys?

bc that's my favorite wcw moment

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i think stunning steve should have followed up the stun gun with a top rope double moonsault but yea on its on its a p cool like, transition move

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I’m two pages late, but I appreciate this post. Simultaneously the best and worst closing of a wrestling show ever. Or at least up there.

eric's face really completes the whole thing to me. like he sells that plastic hogan head so well, so much better than it deserved lol

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

The American Dream posted:

I spent 2 days painting my grandparents new shed for the money for Wwf warzone.

Then electronics boutique offered revenge for $10 if you traded in WWF Warzone towards it, greatest trade in the history of our sport.

woah that's a deal.

(warzone and attitude were trash awful games and I knew the wcw n64 games were better but I was a playstation wwf mark so that's on me)

also I want that dean malenko eyes of ice shirt, I know you own the rights to it wwe just reprint it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

yeah if I'd never gone to my friends house and played wcw v nwo I probably would've liked them fine. smackdown 1 and 2 did rule a lot.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

For instance I always just assumed ether rags were completely gimmicked but no according to Cornette they always used real ether so the crowd could smell it and you had to be careful not to clamp down on a guy’s mouth/nose because it would actually make people pass out by accident sometimes

jesus christ lol

that reminds me of a short film i acted in in college. the scene i was doing called for me to pour a glass of whiskey and drink it in three very big sips. since we were in college and loving stupid, we used some ~70 proof honey whiskey and i did all three sips within like 5 minutes, then shot my lines, got through them before i started slurring too much, then fell asleep on their couch.

we could've just used apple juice and no one in the world would be able to tell

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Because we lack the power to destroy them.

jesus WEP posted:

guillotines won’t test themselves

goofus and gallant energy with these two posts

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The finish was originally supposed to be Giant eliminating Hogan clean and Savage winning the belt for the first time. Hogan literally changed it mid-match to a gently caress finish, then spent the entirety of what should have been Macho's celebration doing his mime act and saying poo poo on the mic like "Before I let you say anything, I want to ask the fans..." and "I deserve a shot at MY BELT"

Hulk Hogan is an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: I think Savage winning the belt from Flair in WWF is the only time he had a world title win where Hogan didn't immediately steal the spotlight.

i did a big wcw watch when i got back into wrestling bc i didnt follow it when i was a kid and hooooly poo poo i could NOT believe that moment. just, the most hogan hogan poo poo ever, and poor randy savage has to stand around and wait for him to get it out of his system before he can even, like, pose with the fuckin belt.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

While "That's The Wall" is more famous Hogan cut an even crazier promo on that same legendary show.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B49_FLBKWtvySGp2YV80SXZNUjA

"im gonna beat you like i own you, brother" christ alive hulk

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

What the gently caress is this "seven digits" business he keeps saying?

my inclination is maybe a million dollars? but also they could be fighting over a sexy lady's phone number. actually that's better

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

goldberg was only "wrestling over"

goldberg is a household name and currently hosts a spinoff of the knife forging reality game show cmon

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Why do the Hall Nash and Hogan action figures vibrate. Why are they seven inches in height and they vibrate. Why are they from Original San Francisco Toymakers and they are action figures of muscle men and they vibrate.

every 5 years or so someone accidentally invents a sex toy for kids, its just the way nature goes

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i want to do an interview series on the big sexy fan club members

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

That's not even close to true, Hangman and Scorpio Sky are both Bernie Bros.

I believe you will find bernie dont even are democrat

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

boy and I thought I loved surfer sting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

mein gott