Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

If they were actually paying Lee Marshall to go to what amounts to frat parties once a week and make a phone call he had one of the better grifts in the company.

Probably still behind Mean Gene. I was reminded on a recent Between the Sheets (I think) how for his paid hotline deal Gene teased 'a former world champion has passed away' and he really, really wanted you to think it was either Flair or maybe Dusty because one of them weren't around at the time but it was I believe Jerry Blackwell and Gene mentions it in the very last line of the call. Gene was making crazy money off of that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

God, at Bash at the Beach '98 they really go out of their way to have Buffer say the Malone v Rodman tag match is actually more important than all the belts. I loving hate Hogan and also Bischoff for indulging him.

Is that the one where Rodman fell asleep on the ring apron?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

He might as well have been asleep. I didn't expect Rodman to go out and do a rransom something but he obviously didn't give a poo poo and fell all over the place. Malone on the other hand couldn't work but at least tried and looked like a million bucks.

I feel like if he had really wanted, Malone could have had a good post-NBA career in wrestling but I understand immediately why he wouldn't want to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nystral posted:

Uhhh what? This is news to me, anyplace I can read more about it?

I didn't know myself until told just now, but apparently it was pushed to prominence during The Last Dance when somebody from the Cavs said 'Man, Malone was a bad man!' and a lot of people went 'yeah, but not for the reason you're saying.' Anyway, link!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that makes Karl Malone sound like a top 1% worst person in the world, Christ. "Can't afford $125 a week". As an NBA rookie Malone earned $225,000, his second year was $835k, and those were the only year he earned under 7 figures.

Feeling bad about how in the old Mega Drive game Bulls vs Lakers I would also play the Jazz because of Stockton & Malone.

I did the same with NBA Jam.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CptAwesome posted:

Why is DDP's theme changed on the network? I know it's a Nirvana rip off but I assumed Jimmy Hart was some kind of master of changing a song just enough to be legally distinct

They might have to pay Jimmy to use it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

During a very early NWO appearance when it was just the Big Three, I remember going "wait a minute" because the people who went out to defend WCW's honor with the Steiners, Barbarian, Meng and Arn. They didn't run in and start brawling. Just sort of milled around the ring. Some of the toughest guys in the company just kinda hanging out while Hogan and friends took over.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Rick Steiner trusting Buff at Halloween Havoc 98 is one of the most dumb face moves I've ever seen. WCW faces seemed to be incredible tough idiots that won in spite of their awful decisions.

Isn't it in character for Rick to be dumb and trusting, though? I mean, he's not Sting but being a good-natured doofus/clotheslining killing machine feels like his thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

Most of what I remember from Rick after being in Varsity Club was his dog-faced gremlin "you don't like me, bite me!!" run in WCW where he just kinda... existed.

His brief tilt at Lex Luger's world title reign was fun while Scott had that bicep tear, which kicked off when Rick bounced up to him once and talked about how he used to beat Lex all the time in the locker room when they'd wrestle for fun so maybe he should get a title shot. I don't think it lasted much longer than a Clash main event, though. Rick was also a pretty good partner for Sting when Sting was doing the angle with Cactus and Abbie (I mean, they would be since they already been but I didn't know it at the time).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's true I don't think they were paying Mike Enos enough to thrown around by the Steiners but given the Beverly Brothers' Shaker Heights Spike finisher it was probably some form of karma.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember growing increasingly annoyed that the NWO outwitted the dirtiest player in the game and then the Horsemen just shrugged and decided to feud with the Dungeon anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love Colonel Parker. When I would revisit Nitro later on every time I saw him wave his hanky in frustration I thought of Bobby Hill's "I need a window seat because this flower is wiltin.'"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Colonel Parker gets a bad rap today because of the incredibly cringey Madusa feud (WHICH HE WON), but he was decent on the mic and, from what I understand, pretty good in the ring too. I think it's Foley's first book where he mentions that he was quite a nice guy too?

It's one of of those things where the folks who just saw Col. Parker never got to see Ron Fuller at the top of his game, which was in Continental and Memphis. You got hints of it even in his time in WCW, I think, as how many managers who are 6'9 and don't overwhelm their wrestlers who are like eight inches or more shorter? You're right, though, Ron is both a great talker and worker. He even has one of the better Feinstein interviews as Feinstein isn't a great interviewer already but the Stud just sort of takes over and it becomes your fun southern uncle telling crazy stories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

He was? That must've been prior to the WWF.

There's a great little run where he's tagging with the aforementioned Ron Fuller before the former left for WWF and tied in with Fuller turning face for the first time in a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

You got the Fullers mixed up.

Colonel Parker was Robert Fuller, who isn't quite as tall as Ron.

Ron never worked in WCW.

Yeah, I thought I might have had that wrong but as usual, I didn't bother to check, so naturally I was wrong. Good catch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

I haven't consumed a lot of the backstage info, shoots, Observer articles and all that but the way it looks to me is that Eric and his small group really think they're the whole drat show and are having too much fun booking themselves going over all the time to realize the boo-ing is because everyone is sick of their poo poo.

Also I got the impression people were too scared to say anything since he was also running things and even when you did something like Chris Jericho trying to get that angle with Goldberg nothing came of it, so why bother in the first place?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I now want him to have a WORLD CHAMPION with Ted DiBiase banner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

E: Hell, even Glacier seemed to have at least something of an idea of what to do, and could actually draw on his old martial arts training. David was just... there.

Glacier'd been wrestling since 1987 so he had nearly a decade in the business before his Mortal Kombat cosplay and did two stints with WCW beforehand. Apparently during the second Muta liked working with him so much he requested Ray Lloyd work with him on house shows. He even worked for UWFi which if I knew, I had forgotten until I looked it up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

Huh! I was not aware of any of that. That's pretty awesome.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to miss. Glacier was the one dude whose background they weren't going to talk about save unless how it related to training with non-union equivalent ice ninjas or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Buy this figure of me, Alex Wright, and find out what the Germans are all about!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

He was very instrumental to the deal getting put together and he made WCW think he had way more of a wrestling career than he actually did. All time legend.

I love that Master P's posse was getting something like $50K per appearance on TV. Great work if you can get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tony ignoring it and going straight to plugging a sponsor is amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure it's a slur as much as it's incredibly bizarre and offensive but I believe he is referring to the camera man as a "Jiggly, Jiggly Jew."

You are supposed to say the whole word so I'd count it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Why did WCW never hire people who were good at making video packages? They were always like 30 steps behind WWF.

I wonder if they wanted to use the, you know, modern production facilities and expertise of the TV channels they were literally a part of and the TV people said no or if they just never thought about it or thought they didn't need it.

If I listen to my heart, I think I might guess the answer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mearn posted:

Kendrick on the Price is Right was great because it never came up at all that he was a pro wrestler. He was just a random dude who won a popcorn machine.

Aw! Good for Spanky.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How far into Russo's tenure do we get stuff like "Hey Sid LOST YOUR SCISSORS" and the crowd is just puzzled save for like maybe the three actually in attendance who know and don't care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That line was said by Bischoff in the WCW "reboot" in early 2000, when he and Russo were both holding the book

Sure but that sounds way more Russo than Bischoff. Pop the dirtsheet readers, bro.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Scorp in WCW when Glacier was?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always loved the story Heenan tells about Andre and the Warrior and Warrior was so sloppy he kept potatoing Andre until one match Andre just stuck his fist out and Warrior ran into it full tilt and was much more agreeable to work with from then on. Well. For Warrior. There was also the very depressed way Heenan talked about reviving the Weasel Suit gimmick with Warrior. "Well, I wanted to do it with Hogan but they had me do it with Warrior."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It always weirds me out a little to hear apparently Owen liked him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

DiBiase was originally supposed to win the tournament at WM, then lose to Hogan.

Hennig was supposed to be a transition champ to bridge Hogan and Warrior, I think

I believe Jake was another name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Lex, when I said 'smile' I didn't mean 'rictus grin' oh... never mind, that's good enough."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

did anyone in this thread ever actually call the hotline?

Not myself but I always like hearing how Gene got a cut of the take and was making a lot of money from that alone and one of the more notorious examples of how they'd try to sucker you into calling was talking about how a wrestling world champion in his 40s had unexpectedly passed away and you were meant to think it was Flair because he hadn't been on TV for a while. I think it was at the very end of the call you found out it was former AWA champion Jerry "Crusher" Blackwell.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I had the toll free back door number and was able to listen to all of the options.

Fun fact - if you called the back door number and entered the number that corresponds to FREEBIRD, you would hear a 10 minute recording of the song that I recorded.

SHIMMER's Dave Prazak talks about how he and a circle of friends essentially used it as voicemail.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

It was worse than that: Not only had Flair been off TV for months, but Terry Funk had ALSO left WCW days after Flair lost the retirement match to Hogan AND AND Harley Race (who was 51, but the fans would have lumped him in mentally) had just been sidelined by a car accident that ended his WCW career AND Bob Backlund had just been pulled from his house show program with Diesel with the thinnest of storyline explanations. (In storyline, IIRC, Jeff Jarrett subbed for Backlund because Shawn Michaels, who was cornering Backlund, wanted to mess with. In reality, the Diesel-Backlund matches had been so bad that there was fear it would turn fans off, also IIRC.) So not only would nobody have assumed that he meant "former World Tag Team Champion," but on top of the most natural assumption being Flair (remember, promotions barely ever acknowledged deaths on TV back then), there were very specific reasons at that time that would have made the other three most prominent former world champs in that age bracket obvious suspects for who Okerlund was talking about.

It ALWAYS would have been a lovely thing to do with any death, but Okerlund did it in the sleaziest way possible at the worst possible time while using the death of someone who he worked with closely for several years.

Oh, wow. I was trying to recall if there was somebody else at the time they wanted you to think it could have been and thought it might have also been Dusty but couldn't recall off the top of my head what his status was at the time, but that's even worse.

quote:

Quite possibly my favorite story that anyone has ever told on a podcast I was involved with, especially once I found the receipts and further jogged his memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZimGjJ-sM

Yeah, I always like hearing Dave on your show but that was next level.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

li'l naitch sells that punch better than like 90% of wrestlers

A friend asked him about what was going through Robinson's mind when he took that (aside from Tank's fist):

https://twitter.com/FallWrestling/status/1371139552652488712

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm inclined to agree, Tank comes off as a bully and bullies always take shots where no retribution is a given

Yeah. Just rewatch his UFC fight against the big Hawaiian fella. He's not a graceful winner which certainly says something about him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

D.N. Nation posted:

In some of those retro Nitro reviews, Alvarez quickly put into words what always annoyed me about Zbysko's better-than-thou schtick- dude knew the booking plans and kept giving away stuff, only as "predictions" to make himself look smart.

Yeah, Zybysko was one of the worst kind of ex-wrestler commentators who was mostly there to put himself over.

As far as his in-ring stuff goes, I honestly haven't seen much of it save his Enforcers/Dangerous Alliance early 90s WCW stuff but he was a really good stalling heel of the old school. I think he and Arn gelled as a tag team better than Arn and Bobby did, which felt like it should have been a layup but was just... fine? Granted I'm biased as the Enforcers versus Dustin Rhodes and a mystery partner that turns out to be a returning Ricky Steamboat is genuinely one of my favorite tag matches ever but I honestly never saw Arn/Bobby click like I would think but Larry Z felt like he had more similarities to Tully so Arn could bounce off him better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, there are some twitch streams that just air old WCW/WWF stuff 24 hours a day and the sweet spot for WCW is slimmer than I thought. 95 is really poo poo because you get Hogan coming in with the parade of old monsters from his past (Kamala, Avalanche) and the general funk of Hogan's Pals showing up.

The worst part about that is I think an extended Sting/Avalanche program would have been neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is this the era Lex was secretly doing the best character work in the company and heeling it up behind Sting’s good natured but oblivious back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, wasn't the big thing that Bischoff did his job and got the creative accounting to work in WCW's favor in 1995.

Wouldn't that be running off cuts Watts had already made?