Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That Mini is hilarious. They should include it as a base option you have to pay to delete.

kimbo305 posted:

Not news exactly, but I've seen the Transit Connect a lot around Boston. I'm glad it's been popular with people who need small work vans.

These are popping up all over Houston. A pretty cool design and ideal for heavily urban areas.

edit

If they offered a removable bench seat in the back I'd consider one for band touring. Looks less cumbersome to drive than a full-size van.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wankie posted:

Actually that's the standard configuration on all transit connects, its called the Wagon model.

Oh awesome, all I've ever seen is the one used for delivery vehicles. Thanks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey y'all peep the new QX-56.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Edit: oopsie table broken, that should do it.

Should I be blaming Maserati for every company wanting to put vents on their fenders these days? It's bad enough having the stick-on ones all over town without the manufacturers reinforcing the behavior.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

No, because portholes date back to the 50s; if not earlier.

Yeah I've seen them on cars back in the day, but the only car built since the 80's that I can think of with them has been Maserati. I think there was a Chrysler in the 80's that had them, but that was the most recent one I can think of.

edit, words

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 27, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess the Fiesta will do OK, but subcompacts are a side show of no consequence. They really need to stay focused on their full size SUVs and trucks.

Been a while since I heard this as advice for the automakers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

leica posted:

Pricing for the Chevy Volt has been released, for the sum of $41,000 you can own GM's first electric car with all the teething issues to go with it!

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/2011-chevrolet-volt-priced-at-41000-orders-start-now.html

What about the first electric car from GM?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

frozenphil posted:

Looks like we really are getting the new Focus RS.

Looks like I'm delaying my purchase of a new Fiesta. I can't believe Ford might be bringing the RS to the states.

edit

Swordfish posted:

Has there been any news about the fiat 500 getting the abarth treatment in the states. I'd guess that's pretty unlikely.

I think they might if the RS sells. I just watched the Top Gear where Jeremy takes out the Abarth and goddamn does it look awesome.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 16, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wamsutta posted:

I don't think he's cross-shopping poo poo. He was going to get a Fiesta, but since there's a chance he can get an RS, he's waiting.

Yeah, this. I never thought Ford would even try to sell the RS in the states. I'd like a smaller efficient car that's still comfortable to ride in, so the Fiesta is a great candidate, but if the RS is coming then hell with it I'll buy that and sell the Mustang.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Apparently all of you need to move to Texas, where the public transportation isn't terribly great and there is plenty of parking.

Of course car ownership will be down in cities like London, NYC, San Francisco, and others with huge numbers of people in a small area and amazing public transit. In Houston you still can't get around easily without one and I don't know a single person that doesn't either own a car, or have access to one whenever they need one (parents, girlfriend, etc).

The costs are very high to own one even down here and I have maybe two friends that have bought new cars in the last ten years and they were a Fit and a Yaris. It's nice that the manufacturers are finally catching up with the times and barring any federal intervention in onboard tech, I think the next generation (not in the big cities) will still be buying cars and we might even see a jump in newer car sales since they could feel they need the new tech and not consider older cars because of that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Russian Bear posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring the Finnish driving test here?

Man I wish. It would be interesting to at least have it as an option and get with the insurance companies so people can get a larger discount. Would do wonders for this country.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

They were talking about this as well as doing a followup story about Toyota on NPR yesterday. It's such a weird thing to recall a car for.

And the Toyota segment was quite interesting. Have we still never had a real unintended acceleration problem with a model that wasn't because of driver error? The floor mat thing totally makes sense, as most of my friends have floor mats that are practically balled up under the pedals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I keep thinking of Demolition Man when the automatic driving ideas are discussed. Or the taxis in Total Recall.

It'd be a fine system for city and state vehicles, but good luck getting the public to get them for themselves anytime soon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

heat posted:

I decided they went off the deep end when I saw the commercial for the Call of Duty: Black Ops special edition Jeep Wrangler

I work with someone that has one of these. It's got tubular doors, I'll try ab get a photo later today.

It actually looks ok, other than the CoD logos.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Motronic posted:

I live in Pennsylvania, so.....

I'm not even going to get into the rest of all of the justifications I'm hearing for driving a minivan. If you've (the collective you to include everyone else ranting about this) resigned yourself to wanting that, that's obviously what you're going to get or continue to own one. It makes it no difference to me. But you can't possibly say that you care that much about driving experience, as there are very clearly alternatives that can both perform the same functions and not suck.

Because those of you railing against this need to believe you made the right choice, you don't want to hear it. I get that. No one wants to hear they made a multiple-thousand dollar mistake or that they aren't as much of a driving enthusiast as they think the are while posting on a forum full of enthusiasts.

You must be the target audience for Porsche's new ad campaign.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=wKENJ5sR42k

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ingraman posted:

Some more pictures of the new Ford Fusion. Looks really good, but unfortunately it seems the US isn't getting the wagon:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/ford-mondeo-auf-der-detroit-motor-show-2012-fusion-als-mondeo-vision-1903535.html

A few pages back, but that Fusion/Mondeo wagon looks killer. I'd love an AWD ecoboost one.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Did the info about the new 2.3 turbo going into the Focus RS and (SVO) Mustang get posted already? I really loved the old SVO's, although I wouldn't expect Ford to recreate that experience again. The Focus version sounds terrific.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

Massachusetts State Police are testing 2 Tauri and 2 Explorers.

Image borrowedstolen from here.

Someone needs to put the OCP logo onto that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Steve French posted:

Also Acura, BMW, and VW

Volvo still makes wagons in the states, right?

Maybe if we're lucky, Ford will make the Taurus SHO wagon that they never brought to production last time.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

You mean this one?

Oh I love the Flex, but as has been said it isn't technically a wagon in the traditional sense, but functionally it certainly is (definitely moreso than the CTS-V wagon). If I had more cash I'd trade my Roadmaster for an Ecoboost Flex tomorrow.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 18, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
QUOTE /= EDIT

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BabyMauler posted:

I don't know man, nothing can be worse than those twin turds Sebring and Avenger.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Yeah, really. Even with modern safety standards, automobile crashes are still quite dangerous, and if that isn't enough, there's a significant financial penalty attached to causing an accident (even worse if you were doing something illegal at the time).

The problem is that people are idiots and, well, there just ain't no way of fixing that.

People will always be idiots, but we're teaching less about driving and maintaining vehicles while the vehicles themselves are getting more powerful and require less skill on the side of the driver.

Have any states tried to offer massive discounts for drivers that took higher level driving courses (if they even exist)? There's definitely nothing like that in Texas. I couldn't see a federally mandated change to driver's ed working nationwide, although it might be the only solution (and it would take quite a while to really show results) if the insurance companies don't want to play ball.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Guru Yaekob posted:

I build these at the plant, have not driven one however. The leather on these cars is REALLY nice feeling but wayyyyy to soft I would worry about it ripping or wearing out fast. The interior on these cars is much nicer than anything Ford or Chevy have. I'm 6' 3" and i just hardly fit comfortably inside one, the seats don't go back very far. The front end and back end look really nice the side of the car looks really bland though, thats the only thing I don't like about it. If you have any other questions I can try to answer them.

I've been reading the reviews as they come out and really appreciate your insight. Can't really think of anything to ask though...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hot Cops posted:

This sounds like a dream compared to Autoblog where every car is a piece of poo poo if it isn't putting more power to the wheels than a Rav 4

The "you could get a v6 Mustang" meme on Jalopnik is getting pretty old. But yeah, the comments on there and TTAC aren't that bad. I've noticed that Sajeev's articles on TTAC tend to have good comments. For car sites, they're pretty mild. Most car sites seem to be full of Freepers, or their Japanese counterparts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

This reviewer in this video that showed up in my youtube homepage swears the ST is better than the current GTI. Plus it sounds good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Oe_KyqUk&t=406s
(time-advanced to fun part)

Why are there so many terrific cars available today? Back in the 80's and 90's, it was so easy to choose the best car for your money. Now every company seems to make terrific stuff for almost every segment.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Doesn't Adam Corolla drive an ISF and talk about it all the time? Haven't listened to the carcast in a while.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MrSaturn posted:

Somewhat related, and at the very least interesting:

source: https://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

I mean, the Daytona/Super bird was pretty much just a box with a nose on it. Is that what you want? :)

Those pesky federal bumper requirements killed all hope of ever having another Daytona...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

dissss posted:

A city car isn't suitable for commuting on the highway? Who'd have thought it

Yeah wasn't the Smart designed for European cities? I saw them all over Paris when I was there in August, as well as the iQ and TwinGo, and they're perfectly reasonable there. I can't imagine ever wanting to take even a petrol FourTwo on the highway in the states.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So does anyone think that Toyota, or Honda for that matter, will ever lose their status as the most dependable things ever built? For all the massive recalls and issues with the Prius, it doesn't seem to have hurt Toyota very much.

Ford has been doing the best work in the history of their existence, in my opinion at least, and they're still being beaten by the imports in most car segments.

Also, Ford sells enough F-series trucks to cover all those car losses I guess so whatever.

edit

This reminds me of some fanfic story from an old issue of Hot Rod about a bootlegger with an old Mustang and a panel of switches that each controlled a light system so he could "go dark" if he was being chased at night. He also had an extra twenty gallon fuel cell in the trunk, I think. Wish I could find the issue, it was a great story.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 19, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, but so will a Cavalier, unless someone t-bones you at a speed greater than or equal to 15kph.

Yeah but just about any car will reach 200k these days, with basic maintenance, and they're all incredibly safe. It's more of an issue of the public in general catching up and I guess I agree with Lutz in his perception of the media and their cheerleading for the imports.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wow I can't believe they're bringing back the turbo Buicks from the 80's. That could be so amazing.

Now just get that El Camino project back in the tubes and I'll be good to go.

edit

BabyMauler posted:

They didn't destroy anything? Low end Challengers in 70s came with a Slant6. They are just doing with the Challenger what Ford and Chevy are doing with the Mustang/Camaro. V6 models for volume, V8s on the upper end of that, and than that cash get funneled into crazy town low volume projects like the GT500 and ZL1. Next gen Challenger is going smaller and on a different platform, if they even keep that nameplate.

Aren't they changing it to the Barracuda for the next generation?

If it looks anything like the original, that'd be something.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 27, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Ugly as all get out though, jesus gently caress.

Yeah I'd have a Valiant from that era, but the 2nd and 3rd gen versions weren't all bad. Challenger, Road Runner, and Demon all looked way better though.

And all I really want is an old AMC Rebel Machine.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

Looking at those power numbers, am I the only curious if the Fiesta ST might end up actually being faster than the Focus ST?

There's a good chance it'll be faster on a track with corners, but I'd imagine the Focus will be faster in the 1/4 mile.

I'd take either one, they're both great cars as far as I can tell.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Which Ford product is bead in class other than the Mustang? I can't think of a single one.

The new Fusion looks like it will be a strong contender, the reception has been great so far. Everyone I show that car to loves it.

Although knocking off the Accord/Camry is a tall order.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

We're talking about the Fiesta.

Yeah but isn't the Sonic in the Focus' segment and the Spark up against the Fiesta?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

No? Why would you think that? The Spark is an A segment car, it competes with the FIAT 500 and Scion IQ.

I had them mixed up, forgot about the Cruze.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So with the possibility of the El Camino and GN coming back, has anyone heard anything from Ford about a new Lightning? I used to see the last one all over the place, at least compared to the 454 SS. It seemed like a fun truck, but I was just out of high school and couldn't dream of buying one and I'd rather have had a Syclone anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

And having a dashboard comprised entirely of one part just sounds bad when heater cores and wiring and stereos have to be removed.

You just replace the whole car, obviously.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Man, the Dart did really well in this.

And yeah, I'd love some more tests of classic cars. Throw an old Mark III, or a Continental, at this test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

blk posted:

On the new Mazda 3:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/capsule-review-2014-mazda3/#more-523737

It's encouraging and somewhat endearing if this is true.

I really like the hatchback and I'm really glad Mazda dropped the huge smile look. Really killed the look of the mazdaspeed3 for me.

Franco Caution posted:

Wasn't there also a concept that looked a lot like the front of the Crossfire which was suppose to be a Vette killer? That never came along as well.

(edit).....Nevermind found it
Chrysler Firepower Concept

:ohdear:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 25, 2013