Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I was in the wheel well of a B-52 with engines at 80% a few days ago and even with earplugs and earmuff it physically hurt a little bit. The wind down also wild since I lost all relativity of sound levels and started taking my stuff off while the engines were still on just at idle because I thought there was nothing.

edit: I guess I should clarify it was a ground test if thats what you are whatting about.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I was trying to make an old timey joke about going deaf :saddowns:

I couldn't even hear the whoosh of it going over my head.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

um excuse me posted:

You know that discussion that comes up about how we should re-engine the B-52? Turns out survivability has nothing to to with it. Nor does cost. If Pratt inclined to re-engine the B-52, the military opens up the contract to other companies to bid on. Need that contract exclusivity.

Not sure what you mean by this. Pratt inst who decides if the B-52 gets re-engine and they aren't the ones that pick which engine it would use. Are you saying that Pratt used backdoor influence to try and stop re-engine so they don't lose their support contract on the TF33s?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The only involvement Pratt would have in a decision to re-engine or not would be giving the Air Force and the integrator quotes and information about what engines Pratt could sell them. The choice of engine and engine manufacturer is up to the Air Force and the integrator.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is the most recent article I can find on them restarting the line is P&W emphasizing they have ZERO CAD drawings of the TF33, its all paper drafts, so they'd have to digitize it all.

This is more or less true of the whole B-52 minus stuff that been reworked in the last 10 years. The digitizing process isn't great so you have to more or less just trace the old drawings.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

What's the system/interface that handles that? Is it automated or some sort of setting or control?

On the B-52 its just a big knob that hydraulically rotates the gear, doesn't even need electrical power if you have enough pressure in the lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUHQ_-l6Qg

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its a shame the SR-71 was always in a hanger, those things leaked like crazy.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Plinkey posted:

That B1 is probably for parts, not sure about the others maybe future museam pieces?

There are some other fun things laying around just to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8159015,-117.8636008,115m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8864036,-117.8679741,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

The B1 is a test plane for future B1 mods. Edwards also has 2 B52s for the same reason.

Its also the only B1 that didn't have all its nuclear arming stuff removed and welded over as part of the START treaties, so it shows up in Clancy-esque books doing stupid stuff a lot.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm on the B52 side, so I don't know the particulars of the B1 neutering. As part of NEW START there were a few LRUs that we removed from half the B52 fleet, and I thought a similar thing happened to B1 minus the Edwards one.

Edit: also both Edwards b52s are POSs because they don’t keep them in configuration, do mods without telling us, and just don’t do some tctos.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 28, 2017

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There is a reason we are still flying U-2s. There is a whole lof of "satellite imagery" that is just U-2 photos.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've always hated that picture since a regular plane with a fuselage is closer to bird shaped anyway.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

That's not the right question to be asking. What you should be asking is "is the An-225 still operating?". The answer is another question: "are there still operationally ready B-52s?"

There are dozens of B-52 sorties a week, so sounds like a yes!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

david_a posted:

Yes, but the B-52s can’t carry as much payload as when they were new due to fatigue, right? They’re also part of a military supply chain that can practically ignore maintenance/running costs.

How long does a air freighter normally last? Say a 747.

They carry more now than originally, mostly due to in the 1940s when they were first being designed our modeling was a lot more basic and we know the true limits now. The maintenance and operating costs are actually pretty comparative to other bombers since a lot of the high failure stuff has been replaced with modern equivalents, but there is still the occasional thing where no only does no one make that particular part, but the entire industry that made and used them went extinct 30 years ago, like vacuum tubes for example.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The B-52s that are still in service, the H models, spent most of the 60s-90s sitting on the alert pad, while the Ds dropped bombs on Vietnam and G dropped bombs in desert storm, so they actually have pretty low flight hours on them. A 10 year old 737 probably has more flight time and a lot more takeoffs/landings than most remaining B-52Hs.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2018

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The biggest downside to actually knowing stuff is not getting to speculate anymore.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

Question:

For those cartridge starters, can you also start them with compressed air, if you can get sufficient CFM?

For the B-52 I don't see why not. Bleed air from another jet engine is the main way their engines are started when they arn't doing some fancy like cart start. The normal start carts are basically just another jet engine on wheels. Enough compressed air at the right pressure and duration should be pretty comparable.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There was some cold war bomber that ejected some of the crew positions downward. I want to say B-52 or B-58 and they changed it on later models to eject up.

The thing about ejections is that the most likely time to do it is when something goes wrong at low altitudes, usually during takeoff and landing. Downward ejection isn't very useful in those situations.

On B-52s 2 of 6 crew stations still eject down. They dont have a great reputation. But its still better than the other 1-4 people who don't have a seat and get to try and jump out!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The other four seats all eject through the top of the B-52. Are you confused and thinking of an Avro Vulcan or something?

I was just saying that whichever plane he was thinking of that used to but no longer had downward seats wasn’t the B-52.

The Other 1-4 didn’t refer to the the people in the upper ejection seats. For the usual crew of 6-10, there are only 6 ejection seats. Anyone without a seat in a bailing situation gets to just jump out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The B-52 downward ejection seat’s post ejection hole in the aircraft is also used to evacuate crew members 7-10 who are not in an ejection seat as well as injured people who would be at more risk in one.

That’s only relevant for high altitude bailing though. The downward ejection seats say they should work at 500 ft, but you want have bailing time for anyone else.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

the projects were called Have Drill and Have Doughnut. edit: and also "Constant Peg"

the book is Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs

Anyone know the background on where these names come from? They sound like random garbage meant to mean nothing, but then they go and use the same words over and over like they do mean something. Like if I hear "Have <blank>", I immediately think, oh thats a USAF black project.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

It's not a g force thing. Apparently guys who ride AWACs all the time skew toward girl kids so supposedly it's RADAR that causes it, but it's never been studied or proven.

I’ve heard the same from B52 crew.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Aircraft down in Accomack County, VA. They're saying all 4 people parachuted out. If it's military, the gently caress airplane has 4 seats you can chute out of? If it's not, how often do people actually chute out of civvie aircraft?

Sounds like its navy and they are based no where near, but B-52s have 6 ejection seats, and can have 4+ more people manually jump out of hole the seats make when they leave. 4 crew wouldn't be crazy for a ferry flight though (other than missed opportunity for training hours).

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

david_a posted:

I would think a B-52 crashing in a civilian area would be a bit bigger news than “oh hey some people bailed out of a plane”

Unless there were bombs on, I would think it would be about the same level.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which one of you was flying a jetpack at LAX?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tQyEV9Hl0

This is why I follow the ATC channel.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Boeing's own announcements are already saying its the its the 737-8 and 737-9 returning to service with no mention of the word "Max".

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

How have they hosed it up this bad after having two other successful tankers? The mind boggles.

40 and 65 years ago. Thats plenty of time to forget how to build an airplane.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Murgos posted:

There's an A1C who got done polishing the nose cones on the bombs and was like, "gently caress it, I got time."

edit: Snipe tax:

I'm sure the others do this to, but this is several conflicting loads. You can't have both a rotatory launcher (big guy in the middle) and JDAMs both in the bay at the same time. Or both an ALCM pylon ( on the cars under the wings) and a Heavy Stores beam (on the wings)

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

azflyboy posted:

It's a bit of both.

That specific airplane was mostly used for testing by the USAF before it went to NASA (since it was the 8th B-52 built), and NASA programs meant that the airplanes didn't fly very often compared to their USAF counterparts.

As an example, the X-15 program spanned from 1959-1968, but only involved 199 launches, plus some captive test flights and probably some maintenance and currency flights. When you then consider that the launches were split among two B-52's, it's pretty clear that each airplane wasn't racking up a lot of flight time.

According to an article I found, Balls 8 only had about 2400 flight hours on it as of 2001, whereas the current B-52 fleet has an average of about 19,000 flight hours, so the NASA ones just don't fly that often.

Its also worth mentioning that the only reason the current B-52 fleet average is so low at 19k hours (only like ~7 years by commercial aircraft flight hours) is that only the H models are still flying. They (with the Gs), where the newest and fanciest so they sat on ready alert during most of the cold war while the other models, mostly Ds, did air alert and bombing in Vietnam and other conflicts.

By the first Gulf War, they brought out the Gs to active service, but still left the Hs on alert.

By GWOT, all of the Ds are gone, many of the Gs are on the way out, and ready alert is also gone. So now the Hs are used actively. The airframes themselves are still 60 years old and it shows, but they don't really have a commensurate amount of cycles on them.

Edit: Balls 8 aka Mothership is on the public site of the gate at Edwards AFB. It has "kill" decals for all the things it dropped. The gate planes along with the Skunkworks air park is a good day trip if you are in LA. There is a NASA museumon base that I've heard is good, but I've had the timing work out to go.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 3, 2021

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The “live” numbers at the top are probably just interpolating from the few measurements. Since it’s orbiting it will go from its max to min distance every ~45 mins so those will change fast. Those max and min are decaying though per the graphs of them at the bottom so at the current rate it will hit sometime in the next month or so. That’s 100s of orbits and the rate of loss isn’t super reliable so it’s too soon to call anywhere or any when.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ola posted:

You say folding, but we all know there's only one plane that can swing the kerosene-sooty, swashbuckling joie de guerre of the X-Wing.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-gun-movie/

You would think an article about a how a cool picture and article inspired a movie would include that picture, but you would be wrong.

I went looking so here's the original article
http://www.topgunbio.com/top-guns-by-ehud-yonay/

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Speaking of old planes, it was mentioned at a staff meeting this week that the B-52's 70th anniversary of first flight is coming up in about a month. Even the youngest B-52's were built in 1962 and will be turning 60.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Love that they call planes on alert status "Cocked" (like a gun). Had a good laugh one day when I was looking through a flight manual and found the "Cocking and De-Cocking" procedures.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There are some that still don’t and have very few plans ever do.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I wonder if they want that line space and talent for something else. Has there been any news on who is making NGAD? I assume its one of if not a mix of Boeing/Lockheed/Northrop, but a casual googling makes it sound like it still not known.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Zero One posted:

There were 449 Boeing 747 aircraft in active airline service as of February 2023, comprising 4 747-100s, 19 747-200s, 4 747-300s, 268 747-400s, and 154 747-8s.

I assume that Boeing has committed a certain number of years of parts availability for their customers.

Spare parts for old planes is still a very lucrative business. The manufacturing line I sit above is still making classic hornet control surface spaces and when that plane's line ended over 20 years ago.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Spending your fuel budget of vodka and not flying.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I thought the USAF had piles of TF33s. Maybe that's old information and things have changed.

They have lots of them (spares from 100s of decommissioned B-52s), but PW is charging and arm and a leg for maintenance and refurb. Engine maintainence costs was one the main drivers cited in re-engining the B-52Hs away from TF33.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

vessbot posted:

I've seen many of these as jokes, but I'm pretty sure I've actually seen the Space Shuttle on a billboard for real? And the F-15. Don't quite remember

Certainly for Boeing claiming ownership of the F-15 and F/A-18.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm going to Dayton next week for a work thing and was going to go to the Air Force Museum. If the government shuts down, they close too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The text of the bill explicitly calls out geoengineering, which is a topic of real debate, but the article only talks about chemtrails.