Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: two challenger 600s:

longtime lurker dropping in to say:

lmao what in tarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
"hey google, what's roll stability?"

*note to self: look up this whole 'tumblehome' thing, also maybe look up 'naval architecture'*

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

fknlo posted:

My favorite part about this is that they definitely hyped up him being in the movie.

i could have sworn there was a story about them killing him off quickly because he was forced into the movie somehow and the writer/producer/whoever hated him, but now i can't find any evidence of that being true

that's ok, because i mostly wanted to post so i could find the shortplane / longplane post that has become an intrusive thought lately

e: that's the stuff:

hobbesmaster posted:

The CL-600-2E25 is a CL-600-1A11 stretch.

This is as accurate as saying a 737 max 10 is a 737-100 stretch aka 100% the truth legally.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

St_Ides posted:

Balloon pilots exploit the poo poo out of this rule, out of necessity.

Everything we do affects our landing spot, so if we need to skim rooftops to get to a safe landing spot, then it was necessary for the purpose of landing. It’s obviously something we avoid, just to avoid pissing off the general public.

So the rule can be stretched pretty far, depending on the circumstances.

i'm a big dumbass that doesn't know anything other than i like to see things fly and zoom around

do you have to get a pilot's license to fly a hot air balloon? what about gliders / sail planes and such?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Potato Salad posted:

Out of curiosity, how does a pilot learn about the existence of restricted air spaces for events?

what are the procedures that you're supposed to follow to make sure that you don't wander into Oopsie territory?

related question, what was this pilot doing that he didn't notice fighter jets making multiple close passes at him and dropping flares? like a radio outage or on the wrong frequency or something?

i've only flown (mostly crashed) in flight simulator and it seems like something i would notice

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Warbird posted:

Dude was cranking it OP.

the vaunted skyjack, very risky but oh so tempting

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
are there any fun facts / hot takes about the dash 7 or 8 (other than being canadian)?

i only fly in flight sims but to me they're both some of the coolest-looking civilian planes and i think turboprops are neato

the twin otter is very cool as well imo, a stubby little sibling

otherwise what's the coolest-looking civilian airplane?

vvv oh drat yeah, extremely cool vvv

that reminds me of the lear fan 2100

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 11, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FuturePastNow posted:

4-engine prop planes are rad and if I were a rich in need of executive transport, instead of a jet I'd get a Dash-7 luxed out

hell yes. propellors are much classier than the bougie turbofan

Ardeem posted:

Phone posting, but deHavilland 86.

this kicks so much rear end

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

doubleender super cub

whoah this thing is sweet

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Bring back the DC-8-63

this long boi made me want to bump this post which has become almost an intrusive thought:

hobbesmaster posted:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

desire to know more intensifies …….

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i am not a pilot but i play one on the computer, but: wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to have an alarm alert the crew based on pressure/o2 level?

it seems like high altitude + low/no cabin pressure is a state you wouldn't typically want to have the airplane in so an alarm would be good, but again i do not know what i'm talking about

edit: i do watch a whole lot of that air disasters show so i'm at least marginally qualified

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 5, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah that’s definitely true. I guess I’m thinking of things like a takeoff config warning or gear warning, etc, but now that I think of it maybe those are features that aren’t required for smaller planes

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if the decompression is slow or the cabin pressure setting is misconfigured it may take a long time to become dangerous, i don't think you'd need much of an alarm for a sudden loss of pressure

a ground proximity warning only gives you a few seconds as well and planes still have them

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there was an airbus that had a windshield failure at 30k+ feet and the copilot got halfway sucked out. the pilot couldn't get to his mask because he would have had to let go of the side stick, so he just descended and landed the plane without suffocating or freezing. everyone survived, even the copilot. it happened over the himalayas iirc

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hmmm? A windshield failure shouldn't prevent him from letting go of the stick.

the copilot was wedged halfway out the window and his knee/leg was against the other stick, idk, i assumed it had to do with how an airbus accounts for conflicting inputs or something

bull3964 posted:

Unless it's a different one, I think you are referring to BA 5390 and it was a BAC One-Eleven Series, not an airbus. No side stick, one of the issues was that the cockpit door came forward with the decompression and wedged itself on the flight controls.

And it was over England when it happened. Guy survived, but had severe frostbite.

i looked up the one i'm talking about, it's sichuan 8633: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Airlines_Flight_8633

they had a similar door issue where the door blew open and banged an electrical panel, popping a bunch of breakers

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

two_beer_bishes posted:

The jet I fly has an auto emergency descent mode if the cabin altitude gets too high without crew action. It turns 90deg left, descends to 10,000ft and squawks 7700 to get ATC's attention. Obviously not every jet has this but it's cool to watch in the sim.

that's cool. what kind of jet is it? also, is the left turn intended to be another signal to atc that something is up because of the sudden direction change?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what's that lever do? rotor quick-release?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
seems like there are at least a few examples of pilots dealing with decompression successfully despite several minutes without o2, so it seems like there’s more going on than “you die after a couple seconds”

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can you give some examples of what you mean?

As people have mentioned in this thread, O2 loss is very different from too much CO2 in the blood.

yes, when you lose cabin pressure you lose o2. there was a video posted earlier of a pilot talking with ATC that was able to recover and land, and there are several examples of flights where the pilots spent several minutes or more without supplemental o2 and not only did they not pass out, they landed the plane. for example, sichuan 8633: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Airlines_Flight_8633

since the original conversation went something like "you don't need an o2/cabin pressure warning because you pass out in a few seconds" it doesn't really seem like hypoxia or low o2 levels are quite that simple (nevermind that that ignores an o2 situation that happens gradually)

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 13, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i am. are you suggesting the pilots had enough oxygen because they were flying fast enough they achieved a low-enough cabin altitude due to the air blowing into the windshield? that seems very unlikely but it's not a factor i've heard suggested before

e: looks like dynamic pressure at 500 kt and 30k ft is a little over 2psi? so maybe a tenth of an atmosphere

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sagebrush posted:

This doesn't say anything about whether the pilots put on their oxygen masks when the window blew out. I have to assume they did, because at 30,000 feet you have seconds of consciousness, and no these aren't special superhero pilots who defied the rules of human biology because they tried really hard.

this has a little more info: https://samchui.com/2023/05/25/miracle-of-sichuan-airlines-flight-8633-first-officer-sucked-out-of-the-cockpit/

the co-pilot who was halfway out the cockpit was jammed against the side stick, so the pilot couldn't let go of his side stick to get his mask. he was maskless through the whole thing

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
2psi is 2psi, it’s pretty hard to go fast enough that air can’t get out of its own way until you get towards Mach 1, and the air density at 30k ft is obviously low

it doesn’t seem like you could get significant cabin pressure into a windshield-less plane by flying fast but I’m honestly guessing here

though it would be funny if the “windshield blew out” checklist says to go full throttle into the wind

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there some distance compression effect from a long lens going on or did that big fucker take off in about a hundred yards of water

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ET_375 posted:

I think it's actually a US-2, which halves the takeoff distance of a US-1a to 280m/920', about the same as a 172. Boundary layer systems are pretty neat.

bad rear end

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
marine vessels just use regular steel and bolt on sacrificial anodes (usually zinc) to corrode instead of the important bits. does anyone know if planes / seaplanes use zincs?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sagebrush posted:

Airplanes are made of aluminum.

aluminum only everywhere, so they never have galvanic corrosion issues? that's very unlikely

e: looks like the big boys do a variety of corrosion control, including sacrificial anodes in certain spots, engines in particular

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 28, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

EasilyConfused posted:

How...how does it help to have it be in the form of a humanoid robot?

they tried fish bots and snake bots and cloud of gas bots, but those early versions weren't able to use the controls very well

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
today i remembered the burt rutan boomerang is real and strong and my friend. not my picture unfortunately

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
this seems like a rough way to go:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1742350371073249505

https://apnews.com/article/airplane-engine-death-salt-lake-city-0b1b6cb973fd6a0714398427892444fc

quote:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A man was found dead inside an airplane engine Monday night at Salt Lake City International Airport after police say he breached an emergency exit door, walked onto the tarmac and climbed inside the jet’s engine.

Officers found 30-year-old Kyler Efinger, of Park City, unconscious inside an engine mounted to the wing of a commercial aircraft loaded with passengers, the Salt Lake City Police Department announced Tuesday. The plane had been sitting on a de-icing pad, and its engines were rotating.

Efinger was a ticketed passenger with a boarding pass to Denver, police said.

The manager of a store inside the airport had reported a disturbance just before 10 p.m., telling dispatchers with the Airport Control Center that he saw a passenger pass through an emergency exit. Officers quickly found Efinger’s clothing, shoes and other personal items on one of the runways.

After locating him, the officers told air traffic controllers to notify the pilot to shut down the aircraft’s engines. The specific stage of engine operation remains under investigation, police said Tuesday.

First responders pulled Efinger out of the engine intake cowling, which directs air flow to the engine fan. They attempted life-saving measures, performing CPR and administering naloxone, a fast-acting medication that can reverse opioid overdose and restore normal breathing. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Salt Lake City police are working with the state medical examiner’s office to determine the cause of death, which may include a toxicology report.

Passengers were removed from the plane when Efinger was found, but overall airport operations were not interrupted, police said. An initial investigation indicates the man accessed the airport’s ramp area from the emergency exit and climbed inside the nearby engine.

An airport spokesperson did not immediately respond to email and phone messages seeking comment.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
these woke airplanes have too many holes in them, people and air and such are just falling out all the time

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PittTheElder posted:

A random question I had while watching vids about disasters involving fires on aircraft: assuming it's in the main pressurized cabin, is there ever a point where you consider depressurizing to cut the oxygen level to the fire and hopefully vent some of the smoke?

there's definitely a real life accident where they tried this, there's an air disasters ep about it. iirc it didn't work

e: I think it's this one, though it says there was a procedure to vent the cabin by opening a door but they didn't do it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways_Flight_295

there's also air Canada 797 where they had a fire that flashed on the ground when they opened the doors to evacuate

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 23, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

hobbesmaster posted:

There has to be some story here ending in “gently caress it”

good thread title imo

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
big companies use all kinds of janky enterprise messaging systems for employees to communicate because they have lots of requirements to retain data (which of course on the flip side is license and incentive to shred everything they can as soon as nothing requires them to keep it)

i can't load the doc to check but i would expect (hope maybe?? it IS boeing.....) that "text message" means something on Teams or some similar kind of managed system. legal jargon hasn't really caught up with technology so you'll often see "text message" to mean electronic things that aren't emails or letters or w/e

still not a very good system for documenting anything but it would be "official"

e: vvvv yeah stuff like that too!

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 7, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should just stack two 737-max vertically and add some wing bracing, bam, boeing passenger biplane

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cactus Ghost posted:

why dont we have more orb planes. just big ol round boys rolling down the skyways

posting a good orb plane:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Hadlock posted:

Who was the Boeing exec who championed the 787 model of "outsource everything, limit our liability" that led to this cluster gently caress

it was me, sorry not sorry

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you should be able to right click -> Show Controls

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my experience watching and rewatching all the episodes of Air Disasters tells me the NTSB and FAA get involved whenever it's a us plane (i think there's an international treaty that provides for this) and/or maybe when there are us citizens onboard

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
qantas flight 72 (airbus a330) had a similar "big nose dive in flight, passengers injured" incident caused by a defective intertial reference unit

the unit sent faulty angle of attack data so the flight computer dropped the nose to avoid what it thought was a stall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in terms of critical parts that could fall off a small airplane, the prop is probably the best case