Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I’m wrong but chatgpt seems like kind of like classic Silicon Valley bullshit: supposed to be revolutionary, entirely based on not paying for foundational stuff and entirely intended to be used to not pay other people and possibly hollow out entire industries, based on sketchy assumptions and pie in the sky predictions, a la the Facebook “pivot to video”.

AI is another buzzword that everyone puts into their pitch decks and claims their product contains when in reality it’s the same old bullshit dressed up with new words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

Blockchain might be value-less tech, but people in my network got some insane promotions and title inflation by jumping into it. Now they’re pivoting to AI/ML gigs with senior manager/director pay scales.

Do people like that do anything besides making LinkedIn posts about AI?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hold on tho, how the gently caress did the giraffe get through the door? They’re 14-18 ft tall, a standard door is under 7.

Something doesn’t add up here.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Slack has its issues but man I don’t miss Teams

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I do. My new place uses all these different tools to do what Teams does in one tool.

Meaning the Office365 integration? That is the strongest selling point IMO.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pustules?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Just lol if you get up before 9am.

Waking up late is for suckers. My first meeting is at 7am. I can safely be done with work between 2 and 3pm and then I do whatever.

Imagine still working at 5pm, Christ.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Speaking from experience, this is how you get a 7AM-5PM workday. :v:

In practice it hasn’t worked out that way. It helps to be west coast based with most stakeholders to the east. Sometimes I have a late meeting and that sucks, but it’s rare.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

*sends zoom invite, no other message*

*Invite out of the blue from your boss for a 15 minute meeting tomorrow at 11am with no explanation*

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

During the time when the preliminaries of Leoben suspended military operations, Napoleon was not anxious to reply immediately to all letters. He took a fancy to do, not exactly as Cardinal Dubois did, when he threw into the fire the letters he had received, saying, ‘There! my correspondents are answered,’ but something of the same kind. To satisfy himself that people wrote too much, and lost, in trifling and useless answers, valuable time, he told me to open only the letters which came by extraordinary couriers, and to leave all the rest for three weeks in the basket.

At the end of that time it was unnecessary to reply to four-fifths of these communications

Which is noteworthy because Napoleon was a prolific letter writer. He wrote a gently caress ton of letters, 36,000 known, probably more. Sometimes he was writing upwards of 20 a day, about all kinds of poo poo, like how he noticed that one of the footmen in a castle he was at seemed to be drinking too much and to watch out for that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"Did not yet get fired" might be a good one.

This is my usual go to. Along with "Haven't hosed up TOO badly".

I had to do self evals at my previous company, which was during high pandemic and my wife was in active treatment for breast cancer at the same time. My self eval was something like "I am continuing to fulfill my daily job functions despite everything". Thankfully I had an incredibly understanding boss.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Remember: It takes a community of WE to achieve the data and digital future. Activate your data citizenship.

This is like the uncanny valley of English. It's just a litttttle bit off, enough to be unsettling.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

No employee is a Person, intire of it selfe; every employee is a peece of the Departmente, a part of the maine; if a Meeting be washed away by the Sea, the Companie would be the lesse, as well as if EBITDA were, as well as if an Executive Bonuse of your Directore or of your C-Suite were; any Asse not in its Chaire diminishes me, because I am involved in the Companie; and therefore never send to know for whom the Teams notification dings; it dings for thee.

(apologies to John Donne)

what's france got to do with this

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

broken pixel posted:

In a somewhat related follow-up, I asked for some time off in December since I hadn't been on vacation with my husband... ever. The longest time I took off earlier this year was for surgery, but otherwise, I've been on the schedule barring brief illness. I asked for a week, while noting that I'd be able to engage in meetings and converse with the team on (reasonable) request. Since my role shift, I had been focusing on bringing the project I had already been working on to completion.

I sent the request in a few days ago. Long story short, my request has been denied, for the first time ever, because I haven't had time to prove that I meet expectations with the sudden role shift. I didn't even have the details of the intent of my new role—which frankly, on paper, was a barely modified version of my old role—until today.

No one else does what I do at the company. If I stopped the project, it would have been up to Engineering to design at best, or dead at worst. I spent this week working hard on a project that I've been told repeatedly by our team (and our customers) needs to happen. I thought that, perhaps, the quality of work I did there would mean something, but nah. Have I not been meeting expectations so far? Literally what could I have done? I asked these questions, but the vague response was, "You haven't shown that you can do the new role yet," and "We already have time off in December" (note: the "office" was closed the last two years but we still worked, especially the 18th-22nd and 27th-31st).

Time to stare at UX job listings until they stare back (and offer decent benefits)!

I’m a UX designer, I’m so curious about what this new role is and what the expectations are.

Also you should just find a new job this place sounds like it blows. I work at a major tech company with unlimited vacation - I know I know - but they actually seem like they don’t mind if you take it? The BA on my project left for three weeks earlier this year to go climb to Everest base camp and as far as I could tell no one batted an eye.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

broken pixel posted:

That's incredibly kind of you, thank you! poo poo, let me know what you're looking for in candidates when it comes around, and I may know other folks, too.

We're a "flat company" (ha ha ha), and while there's an org chart, there is literally 10 people in the company. I'm cool with my boss usually, but this kinda kneecapped our relationship on my end. I keep wondering if I had been given more clarity on the role shift a month ago if I could've laid out the research plan as we move in on new customers, but I was changed over after being told, repeatedly, that we'd look at shifting me into a better spot. This is... not. To be honest, I have no clue who actually gave the final decision. He could be saying it's "out of his control" to cover it up. The only person technically above him is the CEO, then there's The Board. The Board does not speak to my tier of person. I did briefly inquire with HR about the status of December team vacations and there's no conflicts. Unlimited PTO policy feeling really strained at the moment, not gonna lie.

Honestly, I'm going to see if the fam we're visiting can make time for us near the end of December. I really didn't want to make their lives any busier than it already is in late Dec., but I want to see my little nephew. He's adorable and worth finding time for! :hai:

I was hired as a "UI/UX Designer," which involved about 50/50 research and design work, flexing depending on needs and stage of the product. It's more than a person should do in theory, but they were letting me strike a balance there. I've been shifted to "Product Designer." Based on what was described to me, I'm being asked to do work on the level of our previous Product Manager did, for less compensation (about 90-95% qualitative/quantitative research and product direction to 5-10% design). I could get more in depth, but that's the gist. There's no other product team people right now, so all of it's on me.

I've taken up to a week off here before and never received pushback. This is new and feels like an ill omen. I have a person telling me they want to stay and value my work, then I receive a lot of messaging that either he's lying or someone else does not want me there. :v: Thankfully for me, I'm not ashamed to leave.

Oof. Get out of there. You’re being asked to do a job you weren’t hired for, not compensated fairly for, with what sounds like little support, you’re the only person doing the role and also you don’t have any power or say and they won’t even let you take PTO?

gently caress that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

I think your expectations are way off base here. A reality of 10 person companies, particularly for roles that arent directly bringing in cash like sales or the service-doers for service based businesses, is wearing many hats and changing needs. This usually fades away for those types of roles by ~50 people for most companies. I'd be surprised if a 10 person company other than a very design focused silicon valley consumer product company (e.g. early Squarespace or Twitter) had both a product designer and a UI/UX designer. I'd expect the Product Designer to be a founder with the related corporate and managerial responsibilities if they did.

I have experience working for a start up with less than 10 people. I've been in the position of being in roughly the same position as broken pixel. I get that start ups are tough, but I don't think this specific start up sounds like it has this person's back. If they treated them better/showed a little more faith in them it would be different.

Edit: I get that they need to be flexible and agile, but the answer to that being "treat people poorly because we can" seems really lovely

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 21, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The whole "bUt It'S a StArt-Up" mentality bothers me.

If you have equity, fine, you're bought in to the success of the company and you can put up with some poo poo. If you don't have equity then it's just a shittier job. Sure, there are some benefits in that they teach you to be extremely independent, think on your feet, make you versatile. But meanwhile you're miserable? And in this case, under paid? And do the supposed learnings really transfer over that much into a career at a more corporate and larger company? IME working for a larger employer is more about figuring out how to navigate the system, who to talk to, how to make friends with people, who is responsible for what. A lot of the time if you go charging off to do something on your own that's not great.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Guarantee this interim manager has never been let go in a round of layoffs. Also if the job market is tightening up then he should be happy because his vacancies should be real easy to fill and candidates should be climbing over each other to get them.

Honestly, imagine having this attitude without having equity in the company.

Imagine having this attitude at all. There's no reason for employees to be loyal to a company when it doesn't suit their interests.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have also taken a counter offer and had it turn out fine. Some of the “don’t take the counter offer” advice here verges on conspiracy theory.

That said, I think you need to selfishly evaluate the situation: where do you end out on top in the long run? Will having the “better company” on your resume outweigh having PM on your resume or the other way around? Which company has better long term paths for growth? Which company seems to be in a better position? Are there any immediate short term financial needs that might take precedence over your long term career goals?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Wife's company is rolling out an ESPP, on a biannual schedule. Listening in to this HR guy try to run a (re)explainer because the first batch is about to hit, 6 months after initial election.

He hasn't muted anyone. There are a ton of people just yelling out misinformation along with the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I do not know how these people are loving functional in their daily lives. I'm laughing tho, 'cus I bet the person who was all "CAN I ASK A QUESTION CAN I ASK A QUESTION WHY DO I NOT SEE ANY MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT YET??" (because there is still another 4 weeks, he has said that multiple times!), is probably pulling down 300K+.

The plan was always "get the shares at 15% off the lower of the beginning/ending price", and people are swearing "THE PLAN CHANGED, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OFF THE LOWEST PRICE AT ANY POINT!" There is no way I could ever run one of these. Within 5 minutes I would be screaming "what is your name, who is your manager, how the hell do you work here????"

We have a social finance channel in our work slack (big tech co, tens of thousands of employees) and I ESPP accounts for the vast majority of the questions. It’s endless.

Not muting everyone but yourself is madness tho. Incompetence.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I worked in a wework in like 2013 in lower Manhattan. Walked past tourists fondling the bulls balls every morning. WeWork had used non-union labor to do the floors and so we had to walk through a picket line every day to get to work.

I never understood that office. Every office had glass walls, so it was a weird glass fishbowl and you could just wander around and stare at people’s screens and white boards. It was so weird.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Another banger from Ed Zitron today: https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-anti-workforce?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=8982&post_id=138710761

Mostly regarding the RTO mandates and how managers are panicked because so many lack actual metrics to track productivity (in office or not) so opt for the in-office so it can seem more like they are doing stuff.

This was deeply cynical but probably not wrong? It made me appreciate my job. I help design tech things for clients, professional services consulting type stuff. Generally productivity is pretty clear: is the stuff we agreed upon in the scope getting designed and built on or at least close to schedule? Great. You can argue about agile and waterfall and whatever but at the end of the day everyone’s agreed upon what “productive” looks like, roughly.

For my own internal metrics I’m just judged on how many hours I bill. Over that? Great.

If the thing gets built and I bill the hours everything is fine.

I mean obviously it comes with a whole host of associated bullshit, but at least that part is sorta clear.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The thing about these RTO mandates I don't understand is that they seem to always be combined with some kind of floating desk set up, which makes coming into the office even less appealing. Like, "come back to the office! you won't have a consistent place to sit, your desk will always feel soulless and corporate, you won't sit with people on your team or even have a consistent group of friendly faces around you".

How is that appealing? If I have to go to the office I'd AT LEAST want my own consistent space, and to be around a consistent group of people. Other wise you're just constantly reminded of what a replaceable corporate drone you are.

Work is about family, is what I'm saying (/s).

I have a friend who is a VP at a major record label, and she was saying the other night that she doesn't even have her own desk.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

it depends on the field, if you give no fucks in sales it's probably praised but if you give no fucks in, say, ADA compliance, you'll probably have trouble.

I’ve worked my whole career in and around the design side and I think “giving no fucks” is fairly standard.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was supposed to get a hoodie for getting to a certain rank on our training website and no one ever sent me one. I'm still slightly peeved by that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

See, that's what happens when you don't fill out your training evaluation surveys.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Content was relevant
I will use the content in my day to day job
Do you have any additional comments? <left blank>

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm at the mothership for the next 3 days for my quarterly "we want remote employees to feel included" trip. Currently, I'm the only person on my team in the office because the office is like 50% under construction and obnoxious to deal with. No one told me this was happening. I imagine no one will be here all week - except maybe my manager for our in-person 1:1 tomorrow. We also have an off-site holiday lunch on Thurs that I'm sure everyone will show up to, but not to the office.

Tempted to work out of my hotel room instead.

But are the snacks as good in your hotel room

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

White + tall + self-confidence really are the keys to unlimited career advancement. At that point you just need to decide if you want to spec athletics (CMO+) or becoming as big as a fridge (CTO).

Man I am really shooting my self in the foot working full remote. No one can tell I’m 6’2”.

(For real I wish I could go back to the office, like, once in a while).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

As a tall person let me tell you that I have banged my head significantly more than the average person, do not trust anything I have to say.

Between the head banging, the knee scrunching on planes, the loss of sleep in small beds, the extreme wear and tear on our joints caused by constantly getting things down from high shelves for little old ladies, the mental fatigue from a life time of telling people whether not we play basketball we’re all messed up and not to be trusted.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

oh yeah I've got push notifications for a couple places for in-stock tall shirts, it's finding the right places because half the time tall and big are solely a length difference and it suuuucks.

Sorry to continue the Tall Person Derail, but I've been liking Buck Mason t-shirts recently. They're way more expensive than just like, Hanes, but they fit me pretty well, especially after lifting consistently for a couple years has changed my frame a little bit.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheSpartacus posted:

Am I understanding you correctly?

If your product went out the door with open deviations/investigations, that's not just a big deal, that could trigger a for cause FDA inspection.

I'm guessing that then the company can say "our policies are in compliance!" and throw their employees under the bus despite the fact that the policy isn't supported or enabled in practicality.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a weird thing this morning when I checked my email and found a message from Workday, saying "John Doe applied to <job> and listed you as a connection who encouraged them to apply".

I couldn't remember who this person was, so I went to LinkedIn, and discovered it was an old coworker. We only worked together for a year, I don't recall him being very good at his job, and plus he never asked me to refer him in the first place. I guess he just looked up people he was connected to on LinkedIn who work at my company, and found me.

Gotta admire the balls. I considered endorsing him for a brief period but I'm leaning towards no.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Think I'll take off starting on the 18th.

UnLiMiTeD PTO they said :agesilaus:

On the other hand, there’s usually nothing to do around the holidays and as a remote worker the difference between a very quiet day at work and a day off is effectively nothing and my bonus is tied to the amount I bill to the client.

(For legal reasons, this is a joke. I would never commit fraud.)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I commuted by ferry in NYC for a few years. Absolutely top tier, there is no better commuting than by ferry.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Is it? It's not like your commute begins and ends with the ferry. I always figured the extra trains to and from the pier made the ferry suck.

Same reason I'm not looking at the city for work while I live on the island. Sure the LIRR brings you into penn but now you have an entire 2nd train battle to get to your final destination. I had a friend in high school who took the ferry and his commute was extremely long.

I had a pretty short and specific commute: Greenpoint to midtown east. Walk 15 minutes to Transmitter Park, 15 minute ferry, 15 minute walk to the office. The train was quicker and slightly cheaper, but the mental health benefits of not dealing with the train, being outside, and walking far made up for the somewhat longer commute and increased cost.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Would it be bad form to unmute to demand a meeting host blow his sniffy loving nose after an hour of sniffing or did I miss my window

If you do it you’re going to have everyone else on the call going “THANK GOD” and then checking to make sure they’re still muted.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm on a call with someone who is apparently so important he just doesn't bother to show up to meetings.

Miraculously, he showed up to this one, but a few minutes into the call he declared that he was in "listen only" mode, and went silent, and then started to intermittently respond in the chat.

How do people get away with this poo poo?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

being chatty isn't in my job description, is it in theirs?

Jokes aside, we were on the call to address an issue that he identified, has the expertise in, and that he has spear-headed. We wouldn't have been on the call if not for him.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it kinds of depends on the nuances and the actual situation right. There’s a case where that’s bullying and there’s a case where it’s not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How often has she asked for the status prior? Has she been making negative comments about the workers ability to do the work? How did she ask for the status? Did they already discuss the status prior to the meeting? Do they already have a contentious relationship?