Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

alreadybeen posted:

Many casual users who aren't rabid Apple fans probably have no idea if there has been an announcement or not.

The iPhone 4 came out? News to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

I swear, sometimes I think this thread's in an opposite dimension. I'm super nice to employees, I greet them, say hi, say please, smile, thank them, say its ok if they don't know, use as most 3 coupons at a time.

And all I get is a glare, grunt, and walk away. Or they don't even look at me.

I swear I have no deformities or anything. :smith:

Rural areas tend to have happier retail employees because they can maintain a decent quality of life compared to their urban counterparts. You can still rent a nice two bedroom apartment for $400/mo where I grew up.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rolleyes posted:

What the gently caress is this? No, really, what. The. gently caress.

Instead of prison sentences for non-violent offenders. Think about it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

Let it cool down and take it as a shot.

No don't do it! That's like drinking fine whiskey by the shot, a total waste.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

You're allowed coupons, you're allowed to return things. As companies revise their rules, this will be phased out.

Coupon savings limit per day per person (not per transaction): $20.
Ask customers that are actively costing you money to leave, call cops if they don't.

Problem fixed.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lemony Fresh posted:

We aren't allowed to call the cops on her as she technically isn't doing anything wrong.

Ask her to leave, if she doesn't that's called trespassing. The police love dragging self-righteous trespassers out of the store.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

:rolleyes: Let me know where your world of sunshine and rainbows is.

Yeah, this isn't even a retail thing, it's an American thing. If you get sick in a way that's hurting the company, you can expect negative consequences.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think anyone was saying they would fire her for going to HR over that manager's comments, just that they would find SOME reason to do so. A guy I worked for once managed to sack an employee for not reporting to be searched at the start and end of each shift. Frankly, no one ever really did, but he reminded EVERYONE apart from the target. Guy failed to report for searching something like three times, got a warning for it, managed to forget about it again, got sacked for misconduct. For various reasons i wont go into the guy deserved sacking, but had he been sacked for any of those reasons HR would have had seizures.

Searched? Did you work in a blood diamond mine or something?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

How bad would it be to quit my current job after they just tripled my hours (at my begging)? I somehow managed to land an interview with a bank and I might be jumping ahead of myself, but if I do get the bank job, I'm high-tailing it out of retail.

No one will ever know or care.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bringmyfishback posted:

I TURN AROUND after the transaction and there's LP and my manager, shaking their heads about how they just watched me go through the whole transaction and couldn't say anything. They weren't upset with me, thank god. But still. Can't anything be done?

LP and the manager need to grow some balls. Your store is literally being marked as a target if they give cash for receiptless returns.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamented Death posted:

How is this even legal?

They've got to do it to compete with insurance companies that stop paying for prescriptions unless you go through their similarly modeled mail order service after a couple of months.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

Specifically, people believe that there's actually a capability of moving up into corporate when starting from the bottom. :allears:

This works if your parents are executives. Store manager at 22, regional by 25, that sort of thing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity posted:

How is it the liquor store's fault you dropped it, and why should they now be burdened with your mistake? If the bottle had a manufacture flaw that caused it to explode in your hands and the store associates could see that, then it's perfectly reasonable to replace it, but if it's your fault, why should they give you a new bottle?

Seriously. I was at a liquor store the other month on a bike and I mistied the bag and bam, goodbye $30 of good beer. Did I whine about it? Well, not to the store employees.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to "you break it, you buy it?"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MaxDuo posted:

Customer: Do you have *random thing*
Me: Sorry we've never carried that here, I believe we can have it shipped to you if you'd like to order one though.
Customer: Oh sorry I thought you worked here. I won't bother you because you don't know anything about what's in this store, I need to go find a real employee now.

To be fair, I can understand the frustration as I've been told "we don't have/carry that" a number of times before and lo and behold I find it in the store. How's a person supposed to tell between a lazy/ignorant employee and one who knows their store?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

Another one to go into the book of things you can't explain: had a lady come in yesterday and bought 10 limestone, individually. As in, 10 different transactions. On the same card. It took about 10 minutes. They weren't on sale or anything, either, and that still wouldn't have made sense. Help me out here guys?

Gift limestone for 10 friends with receipts so they can return them :downs:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silversiren posted:

Meant to say limes, actually. Oops.

I liked it better when you were quantifying limestone in unmarked units.

"I would like 5 limestone, 2 wood, and a granite please!"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much tip would be sufficiently eyebrow-raising?

$50+

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Square posted:

Did management keep on the guy who's still with us until the new year, has been great with customers, is loved by all the staff, and actually sells a huge amount of products? Nope. They kept on a nervous wreck who doesn't understand any of the products, our own systems, and constantly asks for help.

That's smart, they'll be able to take advantage of that worker a lot more, and the worker will learn eventually. Plus they don't have to defend their jobs from super sales guy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

Can somebody explain to me how that happens? A two cent clearance :psyduck:

Consumer does not know the regular price very accurately, consumer sees item on clearance and thinks they are getting a good deal.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rolleyes posted:

Don't want Facebook interfering with your job? Don't be friends with people from your job on Facebook and set up your privacy settings properly so that your poo poo's not public. You've only got yourself to blame otherwise.

Several times Facebook has rolled out updates silently that made all your poo poo public. You would have no way of knowing unless you checked.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buggiezor posted:

Last night a guy came into my department and was looking at some Cars 2 clocks that were priced $29.99. He came and got me and said "These clocks have been here for like 3 months. Can you do anything about this price?" I told him we don't just hand out lower prices to people who ask for them. He replied "But they've been here for like 3 months! I'll buy them if you can give me a better price." (like he's doing us a favor by taking them off our hands :confused:) I told him no and he demanded a manager. The manager told him the same thing, we can't just give out a lower price, and the customer looked at us like we were crazy for turning down his offer. "Well I'm not going to buy them, then." and stormed out.
:psyduck:

If you were a small business and the inventory items weren't moving, it makes sense - get rid of them to clear up shelf space for items that will sell better. Your store manager or someone in corporate does calculations of this nature and things go on "clearance".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity posted:

Any discrepancy of $5, that is under or over, gets written up. Leaving the change could eke the cashier ever closer to being fired. I think the justification is that if we're consistently over, we are short-changing the customers and would get a bad reputation or could open ourselves up to some kind of lawsuit or scam or something?

The idea is that if you're over, you've been stealing from the customers by nickel and diming them and you just got caught/did the math wrong that day.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tse1618 posted:

I'm (obviously) nine months pregnant and while I work just as hard as I did before I was pregnant, I can't do all of the things I used to do. It surprises me how many customers still ask me to lift heavy things for them. Most customers realize that I shouldn't anymore, and some get upset when I even try to help them with light objects, but I still get asked a few times a shift to lift heavy things. It's always seemingly able-bodied middle aged women and it kind of just confuses me as to why they think I'm the best person to ask to lift a 45 lb. box of cat litter into their cart.

Ask them, "Do you think I'm just fat?".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cuntvalet posted:

I'm so glad I'm no longer at DollarDrama. I dunno if I posted before but I found out this week that one of the key holders slapped a cashier so hard it left a mark and then went on to only getting a verbal warning because, as she put it; apparently she slapped her 'jokingly' and didn't mean to do so, so hard.

How the hell did she manage to keep her job after physically assaulting someone?!

Presumably because they didn't press charges.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

gently caress anyone who tries to insult your intelligence by claiming you are a moron because you cant process a math problem in half a second. What matters is knowing the logic behind the operation, not how fast you can process it on the fly. If someone is able to process 27.86-13.72 instantly, then cool. Most people cant. Most people that are really really good at math cant either. Why? Because calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and the like don't give a gently caress if you can compute a subtraction problem out to the 5th decimal place. Logic is much more power and informative than route computation. That's why we invented calculators.

"Hey awesome, you can subtract relatively big numbers in your head. Cool. Can you do this integral for me too? Wait, you don't even know what an integral is? What about a derivative? No? Hey! I thought you were claiming you really know your math!"

While I generally agree with you, there is something to be said for repetition. When I did drive through at a fast food place, I knew with a good 80% accuracy what I was probably going to be given and what change I should have ready, as well as the amount for "even" change I would need to be handed. It's fun to have the change ready as they're paying, get some funny looks. I think anyone who's paying attention and cares at all about figuring out change amounts on the fly can get pretty good at it, as you say it doesn't take a math genius to do.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah I kind of regret not asking him to clarify now. At the time I was just so stunned like "Did he just say he had a computer in his back? :stare: "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_cord_stimulator

I doubt that it really has enough juice to induce a card effecting magnetic field though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Olive Bar posted:

One time I didn't realize my insulin prescription was up and seeing that I was super worried the pharmacist gave me a bottle to get me through while they faxed my doctor. I was so thankful I cried, it was embarrassing. I was just so greatful. Being polite goes a long way.

Insulin is over the counter in many places. No pharmacist in their right mind is going to deny you any if you say you're diabetic, and I can't see any of them doing so if you have a prior prescription. That's a life or death, pharmacist is going to get sued the poo poo out of situation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ijii posted:

This was horrible, don't click this people. After 10 or so of the newest comics, a lot of them were about a couple outside a retail environment arguing about getting a new tv..?

Start from the beginning. There are a lot of webcomics that develop "story arcs" after exhausting a continuing gag for a few dozen (hundred) strips, and there's no point in trying to work backwards on those.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have I even heard of your charity?

No? gently caress off, you're a scam to divert money to the board of directors.

Yes? Do you have credentials that establish you as a genuine representative of the group?

Yes? Have you been involved with the charity for at least a year?

Yes? Do you know personally at least one person in upper management?

Yes? Are you one of the few charities I know that isn't made to dodge taxes and enrich your upper level executives?

Yes? Here's a dollar. I'll donate seriously when I'm on my way out of life, not when I need the money most.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Imapanda posted:

How is it legal to wake up at 4am every day just to earn 8 bucks an hour for 12 hours a day.
This is like modern Serfdom. :negative:

Does anybody else have to wake up as early as I do? I need know that I'm not the only miserable one.

If you don't like those hours, there are usually plenty of night shift openings.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, I try to tailor my resume best I can. Networking is, and has been, very difficult for me. I can usually connect with someone, but it's always come up dry; usually because said person I'm networking with thinks networking means they get to tell me when their company is hiring so I'll know when to apply online, and no they're not going to chat with the hiring manager, or give me their name because that's not how networking works; oh, btw the hiring manager and I are drinking buddies.

Maybe you're being too blatantly goal-oriented in your networking? Networking is about forming "business friendships" - having fun spending time with other people you work with or who work in relateable fields. If you only "network" when you're trying to get a job you are being that guy that makes everyone feel awkward.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YF19pilot posted:

Maybe. But I can honestly say that at least half of the people I've networked with, I still talk to on a semi-regular basis as friends. Networking at work is a futile effort, outside of people wishing me in getting more hours. Trust me, I've tried, and now the village gossip thinks I'm a lazy bum because I haven't been able to get a decent job since graduation.

That's cool, I won't disagree that networking sucks for many people, myself included. Some people just ingratiate themselves naturally, but we're not on that track. What's your field of expertise? Working on side projects you can talk up can be big in getting a leg up, or can turn into a leg up themselves. I worked the night shift for 3 years doing mind-numbing work, but side projects let me get a fulfilling job offer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know someone who works at really high end retail? Does the pay scale up, or do you work of commission or what?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Curiosity posted:

The few I know make some commission or get payouts at certain sales milestones which get reset monthly/quarterly/whatever. I used to know someone who made fairly normal retail wages (for this area, so like $12/hr) but got really great discounts in-store for a brand name clothes.

I don't really feel any of that pays off. If I worked in something like a wedding boutique I would have to spend 3x the time and 10x the money on my appearance/clothes alone, nevermind the additional stress from sales being so critical.

That's interesting to me, because retail at its base is all about sales dollars and managing customers. What is so fundamentally different between people selling high end consumer products to people making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling big products to big business? Does it all come down to connections? Is there some other element, such as ruthlessness or confidence, that separates a retail salesperson from a high value product salesperson? How much of the salesperson "hierarchy" comes down to luck and circumstance, and how much can be controlled by a person with the appropriate sales-intelligence and motivation?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

That sounds odd. So if I am an employer, and I want to "fire" you by dropping your hours to 0 indefinitely, you cannot claim uninsurance, because you "quit"?

Well, technically that's the same as being fired, in most states anyways, and you should claim unemployment the second, or at least by the end of the week of the week, that you are informed that you don't have any hours.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheModernAmerican posted:

The odds of a 4 digit sequence being a specific series of numbers is 104. The odds of a two digit dollar amount matching its two digit cents amount is 1 in one hundred. It could have been 45.45 or 99.99 and still fit that idiot customer's idiot criteria for "interesting".

The distribution of item prices on purchases between $0.00 and $99.99 is not uniform.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I always go to the manned checkouts unless there's no choice, it's a far more pleasant and quick experience even though I'm a surly fuckhead :shrug:

Yeah, the self-checkouts tend to be little cocksuckers about what weight is precisely where and you're going to have to wait 1d10-1 minutes on the self-checkout helper to clear the status that basically is accusing you of being a slimy thief. But if you actually want to be a slimy thief on the self-checkouts, it's pretty easy to just not scan things. 9/10 a regular cashier will get things done much quicker.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saeku posted:

Jumped ship to a competitor after it became clear that I wasn't going to advance beyond store clerk, and that the old job's management positions were too overworked and underpaid for me to even want. Now, two weeks in, my new boss is telling me that I'm career track and he'll probably have a salaried position waiting for me when I graduate from university. It's so refreshing to know that there are companies out there who care :)

I hope you're right, but remember that words are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pornographic Memory posted:

sometimes i think like this too but considering everything's been fine after i say take a vacation week or we lose somebody who very obviously has this attitude, by now i just figure everybody who vaguely cares about their job assumes they're the vital cog in the machine even though obviously, well, we can't all be, and probably none of us are

There are no vital cogs, only cogs that are more or less difficult to replace.