Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ImpAtom posted:

This is all just setup for Star Trek Wars.

I'm waiting for BattleStar Trek WarHammer. Kirk and Adama team up to fight an army of Space Marines under the control of Darth Vader. (Be sure to watch for the cameo by Gort!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

April 2013: An official announcement is made that the new films will be totally compliant with existing EU canon. Fans cheer.

November 2013: It's leaked that Disney is in talks with "a prominent EU author" to directly use his works as the plots of the new movies. Fans have collective Thrawngasm.

March 2015: The MPAA releases its rating for the upcoming movie: NC-17. Fans are unsure what to make of that.

May 2015: The gala opening night of Star Wars Episode VII: The Dark Nest! Mass suicides follow in basements across the world.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Also he keeps falling into the drat pit

EU Boba Fett is to Sarlacc Pit as Biff Tannen is to Manure Truck.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Someone made a mockup of an episode VII poster with the stars looking as they do now. Now, don't get me wrong, this is terrifying and horrible, but I think it's funny to see after seeing book covers for so many years that could only use the likenesses of the actors back in 1983 and give them grey hair. So now I'm going to subject you to it as well.

Kenny Baker really let himself go.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

Even a homosexual man would appreciate that view. Artistically.

I wonder what military strategies Thrawn could come up with after understanding this particular work of art.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

astr0man posted:

Disney is closing LucasArts :(.

Aw man. :(

Okay, so maybe they haven't been so great lately. But back in the golden age of X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle, they were my favorite game company.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Drone posted:

"A blind hyperspace jump, are you crazy? We could wind up in the heart of a star!"

Aren't the chances of such a thing occuring in space pretty much so infinitesimal that this would pretty much never happen?

Depends completely on how the physics of hyperspace jumps work. (So naturally it's going to depend on who's writing the novel that day.)

If the geometry of hyperspace means that in a blind jump you're just moved in a random direction by some plausible distance, then yup, there's hilariously more empty void than star-heart out there. (Picture individual grains of sand separated by several miles for a good idea of how far apart the stars are.)

But maybe gravity interacts differently in hyperspace. Maybe 99% of the hyperspace routes that come near a large mass like a star just take you straight down into the star. Maybe hyperspacing across a galaxy is more like doing a mini-golf putt past a few thousand deep funnel-shaped holes, so they have to VERY CAREFULLY select a hyperspace route to make it all the way across. Maybe that's why Han said that without precise calculations they could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova.

Or maybe I just put too much thought into in-universe explanations for crazy random poo poo. v:v:v

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

So I went and looked up this new book Crucible you guys are talking about and...I saw the cover...um...

For some screwy reason, it's this image that made me finally realize how rarely you see a depiction of Han in any outfit other than "dark jacket or vest over white shirt". Weird.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Van Dis posted:

Here's a question that stumped me: how long does it take to build a starship? Say, a stay destroyer, or a Calamari star cruiser, or similar capital ships? What about smaller ships? Is there anything in the canon about that?

I want to say a Star Destroyer would be somewhere on the order of months to a year, but I can only recall one example from the canon. In the Thrawn trilogy, the Imperial Remnant was building a new Star Destroyer (which got blown up before it was done.) It was a pretty big project, but not so big that they were talking about "in ten years when this thing launches."

And of course, the Death Star took only like twenty years. (For all that they like to call it a station... it flies all over the galaxy. It's a starship.) The Death Star was WAY more than twenty times as big a project as a Star Destroyer.

And then of course they got Death Star II mostly done in the space between movies. :toot:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Conquistador posted:

I can't stop laughing at the concept of Darth Accountant.

God why do I find that so funny.

If you want to read up, Darth Accountant's actual name is Darth Vectivus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

First time I believe was with an X-Wing when the Invincible attacked a convoy in the 4th mission; just parked behind it and fired for a loooong time to finally bring it down, which made the debriefing mourning the unavoidable loss of the convoy ships pretty funny.

I really think this is why in TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter they almost always had the enemy capships trundling toward a hyperspace point instead of hanging around forever -- so you wouldn't have unlimited time to sit there and gradually kill them with lasers.

MadDogMike posted:

Second time exploited the other entertainment of the Y-Wing, ion cannons and enough torpedoes to blow the shield towers off an SD (bonus points for disabling one enemy fighter in a wave to prevent respawns).

The 1993 version of me is almost certain that TIE fighters would still blow up instead of getting disabled, even when shot with ion cannons. So instead you leave the last one at HULL DMG and the new wave won't spawn until the damaged one flies all the way back home. :colbert:

MadDogMike posted:

I loved that Stackpole obviously took the fighter tactics in the game to heart when writing, made it easier to visualize the fights in my head.

I agree. Made the dogfights in the book an absolute blast, because I'd "been" there and "done" that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Is the Latin alphabet present in the Star Wars universe? (related to the spaceship discussion)

They don't call it that (it's High Galactic), but they use it in the names of droids and starfighters, don't they? And also the Greek alphabet (excuse me, Tionese) for things like the Lambda-class shuttle.

There is, as you might expect, an incredibly spergy retcon to allow for all the various writing systems that have ever been seen or mentioned: The Written Word: A Brief Introduction to the Writing Systems of Galactic Basic

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

To be fair I never understood the whole thing about the Rebels being alerted to the Imperial fleet because they dropped out of hyperspace too close...as if them appearing further away and more slowly approaching out of hyperspace would somehow hide them better?

Remember all those asteroids in the Hoth system? There's obviously lots of them out the way the Falcon went, and there are enough of them coming near the planet that no one was surprised when Luke reported a meteor hitting the ground nearby (which of course wasn't a meteor at all). Just imagine a radar screen full of all those rocks.

So if you're going to attack the planet, you could sneak up through the swarm, be mistaken for asteroids, and try to catch the Rebels with their pants down. (This is apparently exactly what the probe droid did.) Or you could suddenly appear in low orbit, thus alerting the Rebels that you're not definitely not asteroids, and causing them to activate all their defenses. Then you get choked by Darth Vader for not choosing the first option.

e: Suddenly remembered there's even a line of dialogue about it. Something like "With all the meteor activity in this system, it'll be difficult to spot approaching ships."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

jng2058 posted:

For my money, the early canon-less Star Trek novels were the way to go. Pocket Books put out Star Trek books that, if they had continuity at all, were only back to TOS (occasionally to TAS, but very rarely) or to other books written by that author. So Diane Duane's Vulcan/Romulan novels were over here, John Ford's Klingon books were over there, and Peter David's "take an obscure plot point and careen madly down the road with it" books are way the gently caress past the horizon. Nothing affected anything else. And as such, each could be enjoyed on their own terms. You figured out which authors were good and read their books and ignored the rest. You never had to read a book by a lovely author because it was "important to the plot."

drat it, you're making me want to go re-read Dreadnought! and Battlestations! again.

And to prove your point, they're still awesome stories even though practically everything in them eventually got contradicted by canon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

This seems like a good time for my annual whine that all I want is a new game in the X-Wing series. Hell, if they were to just re-make TIE Fighter exactly, but with a modern graphics engine and for today's hardware and OSes, they'd make my year. Bonus points for keeping the dynamic soundtrack concept but bringing it out of the stone age of MIDI. Add in some basic cooperative/competitive multiplayer and I'll be in heaven.

All the other Star Wars flight sims just feel so drat thin without managing your own engine/weapon/shield balance. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I finally got around to getting X-Wing and TIE Fighter from GOG. I very quickly discovered two things.

1) My old joystick, which I dug out of the parts closet for its first use in probably ten years, has gotten all kinds of jumpy and horrible and simply can't be calibrated right anymore. I think I need a new one.

2) ALL of my old habits and instincts are still there. I started one of the training missions in an X-Wing, and before I even realized I was doing it, I had shunted the stored laser power to the shields, set my recharge rates, and targeted the nearest enemy fighter. I haven't played this game since the 90s. If you'd asked me beforehand what keys to hit to do all these things, I might or might not have been able to tell you. But I didn't need to think about it, it just... happened. My brain scares me sometimes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I was more than a little skeptical of the authenticity of these until I found the EW article they come from.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-names/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Well other than the main heroes, he's the only Rebel character to be in more than one movie.

Reading that made me say "Oh come on, that's not true, what about... um... uhhh... okay, holy poo poo. Never noticed that."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Been Kenobi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, I feel the same way. Thrawn's kind of ridiculous in a bad way. I'm perfectly fine with "he studied Admiral Ackbar's art and understands his mindset" but when it extends beyond a certain point it just becomes kind of laughable.

There's always the possibility that Thrawn wins battles simply because he's a brilliant tactician, and oh yeah he also happens to be a fan of the arts. Maybe he's fooled himself into thinking that the one informs the other, or maybe it's a deliberate affectation to make himself seem even more exotic.

It's not the way I choose to see the character -- I'm not bothered at all that his art studies are kind of implausible. But you can certainly read it that way if you prefer, without losing much of anything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I thought we heard that as he was describing it to Pellaeon, from Pellaeon's point of view. Wasn't there never a Thrawn POV in any of the books? It's been a long time since I've read them, so I admit I'm pulling it out of my rear end.

I re-read them about a year or two ago and I'm pretty sure you're right. Someone else (almost always Pellaeon) was always the viewpoint character in the Thrawn scenes. I think Mara had the POV for that one scene where she met him, and mmmmaybe C'baoth had one too but I'm a lot less sure of that.

At least for the Heir trilogy. I think the young Thrawn may have had the POV at times in Outbound Flight but I only read that one once, back when it first came out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rincewind posted:

"Clones just have extra vowels in their names" is one of the EU's greatest contributions to Star Wars.

They should have kept that for the prequels and had the soldiers in the clone army all have names like Jaango Fett, Jaaaaaaango Fett, J(a*10^10)ngo Fett...

Coming soon: Alderaaan.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

That thread got killed because it was increasingly furious repetitions of the exact opinion you're advancing here - which doesn't mean that it's wrong of course, but hoo boy.

The Star Wars CineD thread was struck down, but then it became more powerful than you could possibly imagine. (i.e. the mods unlocked it because the repressed Star Wars bullshit was squishing out into other threads.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Robot Wendigo posted:

Those ROTJ cutscenes were wonderful. I didn't understand why the man was reading lines to the actress, though. Wouldn't she be vaguely familiar with the scene? It was like she was hearing these lines for the first time.

It looked to me like they were just getting a large variety of generic quotes that they could use for a two-second cutaway line by some rando pilot when editing the battle together in post-production. Why would those actors need a full script at all? Their entire character and motivation consists of "You saw Star Wars, right? Remember the part with the fighter pilots? Yeah, you're doing that." Why NOT just prompt them with the lines, one by one?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Keiya posted:

Obi-Wan, Vader, Yoda, Qui-Gon (but only in Force Peyote dreams)... who else?

I think that's it so far in the new canon. In the old EU, there were lots and lots and lots...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_ghost#Known_Force_ghosts

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Megachile posted:

Has anybody else read through this Ring Theory idea about the prequels? It's pretty huge for an internet article and idk if it's necessarily worth it, but I read it all for some reason and would be curious to know what other people thought of it.

I've thought about SW a fair amount but this frame really does putsa lot of pieces together, especially in the prequels, that illustrate at least a logic to things I hadn't seen before. It is impressive, but I'm not sure it makes me appreciate the movies any more. While it does redeem him from seeming like quite such a doofus, it still makes it look like Lucas made a lot of weird choices in the prequels that were only justified by an internal logic that doesn't add up to anything particularly effective. It's an intricately planned structure with a minute attention to detail for no worthwhile end, and it seems like he sacrificed making prequels as good as they could be in order to build this ambitious esoteric narrative structure.

I ran across this a while back, probably in the other (Cinema Discusso) Star Wars thread. It's a neat idea, and for all I know it could be exactly what George was doing all along. At the very least, the site spells out some parallels in the films that I'd never noticed before.

But while reading it, I kept finding myself reminded of that list of amazing coincidences that happen when you listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while watching The Wizard of Oz. If you compare sufficiently complex things, you can find all sorts of spurious correlations if you look hard enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Interesting take on the trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fDlPI1vI2A

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I had read novelizations of both TPM and AOTC before seeing them, I purposely avoided reading the ROS beforehand but it's not like there was a lot to spoil at that point.

There were people out there right up until the RoTS release saying that Palpatine and Sidious weren't necessarily the same person. "They're making it TOO obvious," they'd say. "I bet there's a twist. Palpatine's got to be a clone or something."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Finally got to see the movie last night and just caught up with the thread. (I poked my head into the thread in CineD but :stare: I think I'll post here.)

As a break from serious discussion of plot and cinematic craft, here's the Easter eggs I spotted:

R2-KT makes a cameo at the Resistance base when they come home from the big battle. :3:

Pretty sure I heard the Wilhelm scream in the TIE Fighter hangar sequence.

Finn's number (2187) is the same as Princess Leia's cell number in A New Hope.

One thing I didn't spot was the number 1138.

Any others?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Things that still bug me: was Kylo really serious about wanting help from Han before offing him? It seemed sincere but he did then run him through. There was no reaction from him afterwards either.

On a second viewing, when I knew what was about to happen, his intention there seemed a LOT more clear. "I know what I have to do [to complete my fall to the dark side, which is to cold-bloodedly murder someone who loves me]. But I don't know if I'm strong enough [to overcome what's left of the good side in me long enough to take the couple of steps to you and then cut you down]. Will you help me [by walking right up to me and pressing your torso against my lightsaber so all I have to do is get up the resolve to flick a switch and then bang, the deed is done]?"

At least that was my reading of it. Could be completely off-base.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Drone posted:

The Lucrehulk is one of my favorite Star Wars ship designs ever.

I don't know. Many years ago someone compared them to a beach ball floating in a public toilet (the kind with the gap in the front of the seat), and now I can't see them any other way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

KurdtLives posted:

when the Stormies tried to stop their takeoff from Mos Eisley I think Chewie let it rip though.

Nope, he was already in the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-941c-ZTc&t=105s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Canemacar posted:

I assumed they were like blade servers and you'd just download what you needed.

Well, they DO have rackmount servers. The Jedi Beacon sure appears to be in a datacenter, at least.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We're also rapidly approaching the point there are exactly three kinds of Droid:

Snarky beep-beep R2-style unit
Prissy C3-style unit.
Snarky cynical murder-bot

Occasionally mixes of two of the above, like in the Vader comic.

Gonk.

GONK!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

- Humor. Yeah, I liked the humor

I did too. I have one quibble with it: Poe prank-calling Hux was a good bit, but it came up WAY too early in the movie. Flash back to the RedLetterMedia guy talking about how the early scenes of a movie set the tone, and a discordant scene near the beginning can undermine the tense, serious tone that most of the rest of the movie needs.. Still, not a huge deal.

But my favorite bit of humor was really just a wink and a nod to the audience: when a scene opens on heavy black machinery descending, with jets of steam shooting down out of it. Strongly reminiscent of the spacecraft hatches or carbonite equipment we've seen before. We see it just long enough to realize it's shaped like an iron, maybe we even think of Hardware Wars for a second, and then the camera pulls back and we see it's actually an iron, and it's pressing uniforms... we're in a laundry room. I just about laughed my head off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's just occurred to me that unlike all previous Star Wars movies, which had an in-universe gap of at least a year or so between movies (sometimes much longer), 7 led directly into 8. That means that both movies have taken place over the span of just a few days.

It's been less than a week since Rey was looting techno-junk to sell for one quarter portion, and FN-2187 was excited for his first real mission, and Han and Chewie were keeping an eye out for the Falcon. It's been years for us, but in universe, all this stuff only started last Saturday.
Trippy.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 21, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

My inner grognard is starting to wonder about things like starship combat tactics, as revealed by this film. (I can't help it, I'm a product of my misspent youth playing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter computer games.)

I loved the moment where Laura Dern goes all "Allahu Admiral Ackbar" and suicide rams the bad guys at lightspeed. But since hyperspace ramming is such a devastating weapon, you'd think it would have been made into an actual, you know, weapon by now. Just bring along some busted old starship (all it needs is a working hyperdrive and an autopilot) as a designated one-shot star destroyer killer. Or better yet, engineer a specially made "torpedo" (really just a big chunk of mass with a hyperdrive on it) that does the same thing. It'd probably be an expensive torpedo but it'd be way more expensive for the other side, if it works. I wonder how you'd defend against this tactic... hmm... hey, does anyone know if interdictor cruisers made it back into canon yet?

I know, I know. It's just a show, I should really just relax.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

With how convenient hyperspace travel is, especially with forty years of advancement since the end of the civil war, it only takes one destroyer to jump into a system, bombard a planet and jump out again without retaliation.

And what advancement would that be? Everything seems to indicate that the technology level in Star Wars has been more or less static for thousands of years. The only new thing they can really do is get together the funding and/or political will to build things BIGGER than ever before (e.g. Death Star, Starkiller Base). But all the basic technologies have been around for a long time. Hyperdrives, turbolasers, shields, repulsorlifts, superlasers, droids, holograms, and everything else. Fashions change, so things might look a bit different (compare an N-1 to an X-Wing), but functionally, not a whole lot has changed for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ceebees posted:

Well for one, now you can talk to people while they're in hyperspace, hyperjump from and to all sorts of places you couldn't before, shoot a laser through hyperspace, and hyperspace trips seem to be a couple orders of magnitude faster.

I mean, it's all because of Plot, sure. But if you take it on face value, they really had a generational leap in FTL tech.

Let's take that one by one.

"talk to people while they're in hyperspace" -- Was there a time in previous movies when they needed to?

"hyperjump from and to all sorts of places you couldn't before" -- I admit that the Falcon's jump to into the atmosphere of Starkiller Base was new. But the implication there was more "no one ever does this because it's suicidally dangerous", not "check out this brand new capability that was just invented". Besides, the Falcon probably wouldn't have the latest and greatest hardware anyway, especially since it had just spent who-knows-how-many years as a "garbage" hangar queen.

"shoot a laser through hyperspace" -- Admittedly we haven't seen this before. But again, there's nothing to indicate that they've just invented a galaxy-changing new technology; instead they're just crowing about how big and bad they've built their new weapon.

"hyperspace trips seem to be a couple orders of magnitude faster" -- No they don't. The movies don't give us exact durations, but the trips have never seemed to take more than a few hours, no matter what the ship is or where they're going. Everyone is wearing the same clothes when they arrive. No one goes to bed. People sometimes spend the entire trip in the cockpit of a starfighter or hiding in Padme's closet.