Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Is anyone watching Graham Norton? What the gently caress is this weird interpretative dance poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Surprised there's no talk about Babylon, it's back after the pilot and pretty great. It certainly works better as a proper series than as a one-off.

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. Came across as a less silly version of "Touch of Cloth".

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Kin posted:

I wish channel 4 had the rights to a lot more gameshows because i think the format would work for a lot of others.

Their 15 to 1 special wasn't very good. But I suspect that's because they had to get so many 'filler' 'celebrities' to compete.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour

Any other great British drama series that have come along in the past 5 years worth checking out?

Black Mirror
Utopia

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Anyone know anything about this 'Humans' program starting on Channel4 @ 9pm on Sunday? The advert caught my attention because it reminded of a Black Mirror episode.

William Hurt, Colin Morgan and Katherine Parkinson lead an all-star cast in this drama in which life-like humanoids are used as domestic help - but can these 'Synths' be dangerous? (Ep1/8)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Taear posted:

He changed his name to "The Beautiful".
He had his own terrible arrogant gameshow too after he left eggheads.
CJ is a tosser.

In other news has anyone watched Bar Rescue on Spike? It's a little like Kitchen Nightmares in that an "expert" goes to bars and tries to prevent them from closing. He always re-brands them and the patterns in the episodes become kinda hilarious after a while. Plus it's sponsored by Diagio (although it never tells you this) and it has some of the most hilarious product placement you'll ever see.

Just looked this up, is there really 45 episodes so far in Series 1? Or has the online Sky TV Guide got a bit confused?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I want Rich Hall on QI every week.

Going to see Rich Hall 'Hoedown' this weekend, can't wait.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah seriously that dude wasn't bad looking but his banter was just incredibly obnoxious and off-putting, I visibly cringed everytime he was onscreen

I thought he was hilarious, but I imagine he'd start to grate on your pretty quickly.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cerv posted:

London Spy has an odd mix of authenticity vs style. Wishaw's in and out of the real Union nightclub in the intro scene. But somehow he can afford to live in Vauxhall across the road from the station on an Amazon warehouse picker's salary.

Watched the first episode and it's all a bit odd. I can't get a handle on what sort of show it's supposed to be. Will try another episode or two before making a judgement. Spoilered for those that haven't watched yet. The pacing in episode one was bonkers, slow love story for 40mins and then boom corpse and now it's a spy thriller?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

netally posted:

I saw Embarassing Bodies for the first time tonight. I flip over and there's a full on shot of some woman getting a catheter fitted. What the gently caress? Who agrees to be on these shows?

I always assumed people do it because they get their expensive private medical procedures paid for.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Padje posted:

I want a camera drone I can fly round all the local pubs and see which ones have seats before I bother leaving my flat.

Already exists (kinda):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjz46drWf4

I have one it's great.

/derail

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Yay.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rondette posted:

Oh wow, if you're after fixes inbetween Robot Wars check out Battle Bots- they are allowed flame weapons and...well....check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

That's mental.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I am enjoying how much the presenters are taking the piss out of the teams, quite refreshing.

quote:

"How high do you rate your chances with your petrol engine which could burn down your wooden boat, which has an outboard engine?"
:haw:

Slash fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 8, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bake off tonight.

Also the documentary on BBC2 @ 9PM about air traffic control was pretty good last week. Skies Above Britain - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pmwyy

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

They are cakes, you can tell cos they're cakey.

With regards to dunking, you can dunk anything, but most people wouldn't.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

Went to see it last night and it's genuinely loving amazing. I was dreading having to watch them piss all over the original but it was seriously cool and good.

Chiming in to give another positive review. Saw it yesterday and it's good.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Carbide just seems so solidly built, and really reliable. I'd also love to know if they've spent significantly more than the other teams, or whether it's just superior design and build quality.

By far my favourite robot and I'd been waiting for it's return all series!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

Grimmy is a twat.

I refuse to listen to him. Would rather sit in silence.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's quite the mental workout for a shoes-off, flop-on-the-couch tea-time quiz show, but it's really fun. They got good celebs for the first week, and next week looks pretty good too.

Richard Osman's House of Games is excellent. The quizzes are different and actually fun, me and the wife were actually shouting at the TV.

The answer to one of the questions on Monday was "Amsterdambidextrous" which is just great fun to say.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

Red Dwarf was not completely horrible. I mean, not as bad as some of the newer episodes. The plot was definitely something you'd have seen in an old episode. Shame that it's so obvious they have no budget. 90% of the show feels like they're just standing around explaining the plot.

Lack of budget never really hindered the first 5(?) series.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rondette posted:

Sorry to see them go but objectively they had the worst week.

Does anybody follow up with Celebrity Hunted?

First episode was pretty good, seems a bit "fake" though, the amount of times the hunters turned up "just after" the celebs had moved on was a bit suspicious.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The bit I don't understand is when they "interrogate" the mates of the fugitive, and the mate isn't immediately just :frogout:

This had me shouting at the TV. Like what the gently caress are you doing giving them all this information for no reason, you're not going to be put in jail for obstructing an investigation. At least wait until they offer you some cash...

Wouldn't even take that much cash for me to sell out my mates

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

McDragon posted:

It's just everybody does nothing for ten seconds. There could be whoever is most ready once it's gone thing, but it's always the same amount of time so that doesn't really work either.

Apex deciding it couldn't go on was the best. And really, any time somebody wrecks part of the arena and whatnot is great.

That ten-way rumble is going to either be amazing or poo poo. And the latter would probably be amusingly so

The only thing it's useful for is getting your massive flywheel death spinner up to speed (followed by catastrophic failure lol).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Just started watching the Detectorists, it's really good. Binge watched the first series in one evening. Problem is that it's so relaxed that I have a habit of nodding-off while watching it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

You seen Murder in Successville?

Anyone who hasn't seen it definitely should. It's hilarious (some guests are better than others).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's amazing to me that this guy still has a job given all the open secrets about his misconduct that's out there. He's a very nasty man.

What he do?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

when you google him it has this at the bottom:
"Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more".

Isn't this normally because he's requested the google results to be censored?

e: nvm, this appears when you search anyone's name.

Slash fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Some new info about the new Alan Partridge is out - it’s going to be called This Time with Alan Partridge, apparently the concept is that he’s taking over the show as a temporary host after someone else pulls out. Tim Key’s in it, so presumably Sidekick Simon is coming along, and apparently the show will be “a heady mix of consumer affairs, current affairs, viewer interaction, highbrow interview and lightweight froth” which excites me as it reminds me of the mental Noel’s HQ.

The press release suggests that it will be more like BBC's "The One Show".

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Season 3 is an excellent finale to the show. Give it a chance.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

Just listened to the Ray peacock episode of rhlstp... Bloody hell.

It's great. Super cringey, but I found it entertaining.

Not quite as cringe as the Stephen Merchant one though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Catastrophe is cool and good.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rondette posted:

Really enjoying Curfew on Sky One- in a UK ravaged by night dwelling zombies- no one is allowed out after dark (unless you want to die I guess). There is a way out! To a mythical paradise where there is no curfew, the only catch is you take part in a no-holds barred death race. Sean Bean is in it as an awful coke-addled super paranoid gangster with a pregnant teenager girlfriend. Billy Zane is some stoner dude in a camper van. Miranda Richardson is also in it. It's cheap as chips but I think it is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Sooo.. Carmageddon the tv series?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I'm watching Years and Years right now and I have to be honest I've never had this visceral of a reaction to show. To be clear I'm enjoying it (I'm on episode 5) but holy poo poo it's giving me anxiety like I never knew was possible.

Yeah it's a bit too real.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

No Bake Off chat yet?

It's too early to get emotionally attached to any of the contestants.

Young chap definitely had to go this week, he basically screwed up every challenge

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I'm still glossing over the GBBO contestants so far. There's the nice church boy (who is also a toff who goes to Oxford), the Spooky Woman who makes everything Spooky (which already feels like a tired shtick), the Way Out of His Depth Lad who I already don't have to remember any more, the Welsh Lady, and then there's a couple of gay boys and uhhhh, everyone else is just wallpaper mostly.

Seems like a pretty accurate description so far. It'll take a few weeks to cull the weak.

I'm still surprised that no-one has figured out that for the first few weeks you only need to be competent. Don't try and do anything too fancy and you can easily coast until the middle of the season no worries.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

crispix posted:

Tonight on The Apprentice they design a new electric bike for a trade exhibition
Design, my arse. It'll be one of those tasks where they have to sell someone elses products at a tradeshow. One team will go for high-value hoping to sell a few products for high profit. The other team will go for low-value, high quantity.

Whichever team loses, Alan will say they picked the wrong strategy, whether they did or not. And this may or may not be consistent with his opinion from previous series'.

I'm getting pretty cynical and tired of the Apprentice "format" now...

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Slash posted:

Design, my arse...
Yeah they basically got to choose the colour. And for what it's worth i liked the red wheels, maybe that's just my inner child coming through.

You're fired is now hosted by Tom Allen. It's weird, they've clearly given the panel guests the questions beforehand so that they can come up with funny or insightful comments. His delivery and segueing is so stilted that it is incredibly obvious when he changes from improvised banter to the pre-rehearsed questions.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I preferred the difficulty of the technical challenges this year. It is supposed to be a challenge, if they're too easy then you just get several slightly different variations of the thing. At least if it's properly difficult people can completely gently caress it up.

I agree Steph should have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've been enjoying His Dark Materials so far. Not sure why they've included some stuff from the second book in this series, other than that the diversions they've made from the original material seem understandable and relatively unobtrusive.

I think the casting of Lyra is fantastic, exactly as i pictured her in my head while reading the book.