Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've figured out the rest of the story: Gamma is psyched to be on the boat because she is super into break dancing and is outraged that it has been unjustly banned. She's going to pull a Footloose and start break dancing like crazy during the dance and one no can stop her.

She's the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awww, poor Gamma. She's just so happy to be on a boat with friends, but Jack's right it's really not safe for her and Zimmy to be there.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Give it up ship, flesh or no flesh Lindsey already has a husband.

And he's the cutest husband in the world: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=906

:3: No way she's leaving that, just let it go man.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm really liking Jenny and I REALLY hope she doesn't die this chapter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wittgen posted:

You really think accidentally doing something that only was possible because crazy people forced you into a bad situation makes you irredeemable?

Yeah, I have no idea why people are getting upset at Kat. She has zero control over anything that's happening, the boat is the one who put her in this awful situation and endangered everyone.

Man, gently caress this boat. This boat is an rear end in a top hat.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Regy Rusty posted:

I agree, so much so, that I'll probably stop referring to her as Boxbot in the future.

After Gunnerkrigg Court ends Jenny and boxbot get their own spin off comic where they team up and fight crime using Jenny's powerful witch magic and boxbots....um... ablity to be box shaped?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wittgen posted:

Paz might be the best character.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1402

No threat my rear end.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Volkameria posted:

Man, this chapter is just turning into one huge action movie. Fireballs, last minute rescues, action kissing and running everywhere. And I am so perfectly okay with this.

Don't forget the speedboat jump!

This is probably my favorite chapter so far.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, Paz is dating a robot angel.

And Kat is dating a girl who can communicate with lovecraftian monsters.

Those two are one HELL of a power couple.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Roger Explosion posted:

Lets not forget that their party also includes a teleporting warrior, a fire-elemental and a Saiyan prince. poo poo's OP as gently caress.

Also Smitty, don't you dare forget Smitty!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What does the circle with the horns at the very top in the middle represent?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One time a seagull bit me so hard it drew blood; now somewhere out there in the world lurks a seagull with a taste for human flesh.

Beware.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M.c.P posted:

Annie dislikes the court because they've lied to her and kept some PRETTY IMPORTANT INFO from her. Exhibit A being the consequences of Surma having a kid. The Donlans are good people, and maybe they were waiting till Mr Carver came back to explain, but having Annie find out how she did just made her feel betrayed.

Then there's the whole Jeanne thing, whatever it is the court is siphoning Ether for, there's no denying the court is Up To Something. And because Jeanne is the court secret we know the most about, Annie (and the readers) are inclined to view additional court secrets in the same light.

So while Coyote and Ysengrin are dangerous and unpredictable, Annie trusts them because they are direct. Ysengrin may fly off the handle and try to eat Annie, but she prefers that to smiling and telling her "we know best". Coyote may promise to cut her hand off for saying something, but at least it's a very clear action - consequence relation rather than the enigmatic pressure the court puts on the students.

This is ironic because coyote is also clearly keeping stuff from her although she doesn't know it yet (like stealing Ysengrin's memories). I'm not saying he's worse than the court, just bad in a different way with his own schemes and agenda. I get the feeling Annie thinks she understands him more then she actually does.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SHISHKABOB posted:

The bunny is gonna be hot and annie is gonna fall in love with him.

I thought the bunny was a girl? I mean don't get me wrong, she could still be hot and Annie could still fall for her, but I could have sworn the bunny was referred to as female at one point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kesper North posted:

Growing up, I watched BBC adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, the TV adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, and a whole swath of British sitcoms from the seventies, on American PBS. In addition to Doctor Who. It was a hugely formative experience.

A Red Dwarf themed dorm would be awesome, except it would be cold outside with no kind of atmosphere.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wittgen posted:

Anthony and Antimony probably have the most complex relationship we've seen so far.

Not really: She wants affection from him, and he withholds it. That's it. That's their entire relationship.

For all we know Anthony has complex and sympathetic reasons for being a lovely dad, but he's still a lovely dad. An explanation for why he's so lovely isn't going to make the years he's spent neglecting his child go away.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't either: notice I didn't say that she was completely unemotional, or that she had feelings for nobody. The fact that she attaches herself to somebody once a century proves that she is capable of feeling emotions towards people. I'm just saying that her emotions are incredibly muted compared to those of normal humans.

Yeah, if she really had no emotions why would she bother spending so much time socializing with humans? She clearly enjoys companionship on some level, it's just that she isn't as passionate as most people are and she's self-conscious about it.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 27, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parts Kit posted:

Or maybe Surma cheated off Anja.

Maybe Surma cheated off Anthony?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fried Chicken posted:

No, it's pretty clear Anthony is Annie's father.

No, I meant that Surma literally cheated off Anthony by copying his school work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

Oh man now I wanna see Red and Zimmy interact.

There would be no survivors.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hodgepodge posted:

What if Annie has no biological father?

After all, her having a child is a "when," not an "if," evidently. That could be a biological clock deal, but it could also be that her line simply creates a child to pass her spirit to automatically.

I've actually thought about this too, maybe fire elementals are like phoenixes and the way they're reborn is by literally giving birth to a new version of themselves every couple of decades? The new being has the same soul, but no memories of any of their past lives.

It's a neat idea, but it raise one very important question: Why the gently caress wouldn't Annie's parents tell her any of this? I can understand Anthony withholding this information for whatever reason (because that's just kind of what he does), but I feel like Surma would/should have let Annie know "I'm not dying, I'm literally becoming you. I'm going to live because you're going to live." if this was what was going on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wyld Karde posted:

Remember when we were all just tittering about how the new dorms were basically a robotic version of Friends? It seems so long ago now.

I need a hug. :(

Can we go back to having fun sitcom adventures with silly robots? Please? Is that an option?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Faust IX posted:

Speaking of "things you just noticed on re-reading this again", it seems Jimmy Jims got some inspiration for teleporting from Brinnie (most relevant comic used for the current dark, sad turn of the story).

Wonder how that happened. It would be nice to have few one-off comics about previous generation GC, during the interim that's going to happen after Kat explodes next comic/this chapter ends...:smith:

Man, Jimmy Jim's would have been a way better dad than Anthony. But then so would most men, and a few wolves.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

T-man posted:

He's still hot.

A horrible father, though.

Tony has aged like fine milk.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

IUG posted:

Nah, he's in her bedroom right now, destroying all the posters on her wall and lighting her toys on fire.

And her clothes, don't forget that he's burning all of her clothes other than that one dress she has on right now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr Subterfuge posted:

"Why not Jimmy?" seems like it has a pretty straightforward answer. Having an ageless, beautiful, lifelong companion who cuddles with you and caresses you might just get in the way of having stable romantic relationships with other women. Why Anthony was better than nothing though: still baffling.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Sometimes you start dating someone with severe character flaws thinking "sure they have problems, but those problems aren't so bad" or "they'll change, I can help them improve" and sometimes you're right and things do get better. Other times you're horribly wrong and your creepy husband goes nuts after you die and starts emotionally abusing your daughter and preforming surgery on her without her consent. Such is life.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dammerung posted:

He wouldn't be able to possess anything without Tony's okay, though.

Even if he could I'm not sure he'd want to be inside anything that Tony's butt has touched.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YF-23 posted:

I wonder if Renard not cooperating means he remains in doll mode or that he's just chilling out in Anthony's place doing whatever.

He's probably peeing on everything he can find.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cat Mattress posted:

Kat will abduct Anthony and replace him by a robot of her own design.

Nobody will know the difference.

No, everyone will know the difference because the robot is much more loving and social.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fried Chicken posted:

Smitty, lower those eyebrows! And the other one!

No one can control Smitty's eyebrows, not even Smitty. They do what they want when they want.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fried Chicken posted:

When you get different angles you realize those are scars, not wrinkles, which explains the difference.

Somewhere along the line Tony-Tones got his rear end beat. Multiple times, going by how some of those scars line up. I want to find the person or being responsible and congratulate them.

Tony is in a Fight Club, it's the only way he can feel something close to what the humans call "emotions".

Jones is also a member.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Just tell me who killed Laura Palmer already so I can stop watching this bullshit!

Maggie Simpson.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay, so, this page convinced me that Anthony isn't actively malicious: he's just a loving idiot who has no business raising a child.

At this point I think someone needs to flat out explain to Tony that he's a lovely parent. He's not going to be able to figure it out on his own. He can't, his brain just doesn't work that way. Donnie needs to sit him down and say "I know you're trying your best to be a good father, but your best is awful. Please stop. Stop everything you're doing immediately. Seriously, you're doing way more harm than good."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blackheart posted:

Actually, her face in the penultimate panel isn't her reacting to Tony's kind words, the poor girl is clearly choking on that potato and needs help.

Kat unhinged her jaw like a snake and swallowed that potato whole.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YF-23 posted:

He's just really focused on trying to figure out a way to cut that steak up one-handed.

Tony could really use a knork right now: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTygajaWaR0

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

artichoke posted:

The general theme with GC is "something horrible and scary turns out to be just fine and/or understandable". See: all of the demons, ghosts, mythical beings, Renard, Ysengrin, Shadow, even Coyote at first. Even the most wicked character of all imho, Diego, is revealed to be a pathetic, regret-filled man at the end of his life.

Whether or not Tony has already meddled with Annie's fire elemental, it's probably going to end up that he is not evil, just doing things in the only way he knows how, and that he will turn out to be alright in the end. I don't even know if there is a true "evil" character in all of GC which is what makes it such a great story - even the baddies have real motivations and are sympathetic characters. We just haven't figured out what makes Tony sympathetic yet.

Another theme in GC is "you don't have to evil to gently caress things up and cause massive damage."

Something bad has happened and it needs to be fixed.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keiya posted:

I don't think Anthony Carver is anywhere near as bad as most Reeds. Remember, canonically, primary Marvel universe Reed is the least dickish possible Reed Richards in existence, and he does things like take bribes from pharmaceutical companies to not release his cure for cancer. Anthony may be an emotionless bastard, but he's not that bad.

Holy poo poo, did this really happen? How can you write about someone in a comic doing this and still expect anyone to see them as a hero?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

There can be good reasons for not curing cancer!

Fair enough.

Anyway, the thing about Anthony is he doesn't know his daughter very well. If something has gone wrong with her he's not going to be able to tell. It's possible that whatever is happening to her is completely unrelated to him and he simply hasn't noticed.

If it does turn out the court is behind this it's actually a pretty smart plan: they caused a major change in Annie's life, and then while everyone was freaking out about that they replaced her with a robot or something. So if anyone starts to wonder why Annie is acting so bizarre they'll assume "it's because of her dad" and not "it's because she's a freakin' robot".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Coyote does not love you back. Coyote loves coyote, and that is all. He does not need or care about the love of anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is fine. Everything is fine.