Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oxxidation posted:

in the prologue for Sea of Stars and the dialogue is what I thought it’d be. oddly dry and riddled with missing/spliced commas

e: it might just be my personal bias but the overall aesthetic reminds me more of the soulblazer trilogy than chrono trigger. one early screen in particular has me thinking of the Nazca map in Illusion of Gaia

There was an article I'd read that mentioned Illusion of Gaia (one of the first games I ever played) being an influence on this game which is why I plan on giving it a shot soon. The Nazca ruins were one of my favorite bits of the game so I'm really looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Clarste posted:

This reminds me of all those people who said that ChatGPT would be great for filling in NPC dialog. Like, why are you putting NPCs in your game if you don't care what they're saying? Why do they exist, why does the pointless dialog need to exist?

There's no real logic to anything created by ChatGPT, and I feel like the people who really vouch for chatgpt are those who can't really understand that and are entertained by walls of text.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ace Transmuter posted:

Help I really like FFXIV and I think I might want to end up actually paying for it?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I've been itching to replay OT2 but yes this year is lousy with good games

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Colonel posted:

a flat patch of desert with five landmarks

ah so that's what people mean when they say there's a lot of mass effect 1 in there

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Every planet is like exploring the moon in ME1 but without the Mako, literally.

Yikes.

Speaking of exploring the Moon in ME1, I loved the eerie little touch that you could hear Rachni in a certain spot there.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I didn't even realize it was positively received but I suppose I've only ever heard goons talking about it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Or how pretty much every open-world like Days Gone or Horizon only need a load-screen for fast-traveling. I don't think Bethesda will ever hit that point technically.

It blew my mind when I tried the ps5 version of Ghost of Tsushima and fast travel was instant.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

drat, I gotta look into getting the Golden Sun games again, I think they're supposed to be coming to Switch?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was disappointed in the endgame facilities for Temtem but I liked the journey well enough.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's wrong with the endgame stuff? I'm not there yet.

Just did my first battle with General X and got my rear end handed to me lol.

I haven't played since the first couple weeks of full release so they likely changed it (I had around 300 hours in early access) but basically the rewards and time investment for the facilities was disproportionate in a bad way, and I was irritated by the micro transactions/monetization setup they'd brought out on release so I might have had a lower opinion because of that.

I really enjoyed the gameplay itself and I intend to go back down the line, but there's too many games I want to play before going back into a game like that.

On the topic of mon games, I saw Siralim 1-3 in the PS Store, was wondering if any goons here had experience with them; 3 in particular promises new content even 100 hours in but I'm dubious about that that entails.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Awesome, I'm gonna wishlist 3 for a couple months down the line since Ultimate doesn't seem to be out for ps4/5 yet.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just did my first battle with General X and got my rear end handed to me lol.

Meant to comment on this but that's meant to happen, there's dialogue if you do win though. Someone made a team of 6 Pigapecs with the ability that hurts the Tem that knocks it out, and pulled it off.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

To each their own but it seems nuts a lot of reviewers have this rated so high beside Octopath 2 / Baldurs Gate 3.

I'm glad SoS was free with PS+ Extra, because seeing it put on par with OT2 was one of the things that instantly got my attention.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

Everyone brings up the Lanius final confrontation but it's really that good of a moment---a boss battle without potentially a single punch thrown.

One of my favorite final bosses, easily.

It's full of great lines, too. "Violence gave you that strength, awakened you - I can see it upon your face, where two bullets left their mark."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

If this was before any DLC that's even more astounding

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Stexils posted:

yeah that specific quote spread a lot in religous jesusy online circles from people who dont know the origin

It was also really big with firefighters

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Haru was a beast with her Gun potential.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I played Ys8 right before it came out, did ng+ of both and that had more of a lasting impact on me. 16 was set to be in my top ten this year, fights against Titan and Bahamut were awesome but the pacing of the game wore on me after that point.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I thought Astarion kinda sucked even before he was revealed to literally suck. Still on Act 1 but I don't see it changing soon.

lunar detritus posted:

I don't understand the general hate for Lae'zel, she's hilarious.

I didn't know she was hated, but between Shadowheart and Karlach she just isn't high on my list for my character to get with right now.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of the definition of a Wait For A Sale game.

Didn't bode well that it was 10% off with preorder on ps5

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Looper posted:

eh a lot of indie games do this
You're right, I forgot that was kind of a trend.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

has anyone here played cassette beasts? i listened to some of the soundtrack and now im interested in the game itself

Bought it last week on a whim after deciding to wait on a sale for Siralim 3. I've played a few mon games this year (Nexomon 1/2, Monster Sanctuary) and while I'm not sure how I'd end up ranking it between them, it's definitely making my top 10 this year. Soundtrack slaps, it never gets old when the lyrics start kicking in. You don't really have to grind the monsters themselves, their levels are your human characters' levels, they have their own XP bar that gives them more Stickers (moves) that you can detach and attach to any other suitable mon, it's so convenient to throw teams together when every move can be shuffled around between them. And as you progress these Stickers get extra features, like a chance of being used at start of battle.

I really like how the big boss fights are all done in unique styles, to sell how alien and powerful they really are. Plus that bgm is killer.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/NSuperGamerGuy/status/1704144564439662664

Someone in the persona thread said this has youtuber fandub vibes, and I gotta say the more I listen to this the more I hear it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I went Throne and she was generally my best damage dealer but if I'd gone with Hikari I think he would have hit that role. Cassti can do some really great start-of-battle buffing once you've messed with subclasses, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd say it's more of a strength than a weakness, everyone's got their own little tricks

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Twaials of Mana

Always hoped for this one on boot-up

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its time to play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Grindy as they could get, I enjoyed them and hopw to see more.

One thing I liked was that they werent afraid to dip into horror elements such a setting brings. Like the sidequest with scammers who sell virtual real dolls to people, including high schoolers, and then kidnap their bodies for black market harvesting. That one ended on a kid trying to jack out and being confused what "No exit location" means., or the story with the bullies in the second one.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really not hard to break the grind clean over your knee in the Digimon Story games due to one simple factpr;

EXP and money bonuses stack. You can do some spectacularly abusive things loading up with Tactician USB's on a single Digimon that has a passive Bonus XP skill.

Yeah it's not as bad as it could be, I used to run two PlatSukamons in the story for HM.

Speaking of Digimon Story, Lost Evolution got its full fan translation a couple months back and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arzaac posted:

Look I'm just saying, if your only problem is Mega Man specific there's an excellent Touhou version you could be playing instead

What, a Touhou version of BN? Because I'll take what I can get

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Any goons here who tried that new Fate game? I know nothing about the series but it looks interesting from a glance.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, didn't seem like something I'd want to blow 60 bucks on but I'm definitely wishlisting for a good sale

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

is this new FATE game any good? The steam page makes it look kinda good

ImpAtom posted:

it's... aggressively OK? It's in the same rough vein as Persona 5 Strikers but not quite as much of a coherent whole. It's fun enough for what it is and has some fun writing moments but it suffers heavily from the fact that they comitted to the whole "you play as Johnny Shitswords instead of the cool godlike characters for most of the playtime." It gets better once you get more skills but especially early on the whole "you can't actually hurt enemies until you chip them down" thing feels kinda bad, though it does emphasize how much better the Servants feel.

Saber is pretty drat adorable though, even if they drag out the truth of their identity way too long for something they make hilariously obvious five minutes into the game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Clarste posted:

Wasn't the story trying to pair her up with the other dude?

They had a good ampunt of that going on through the game.

And then there were three cutscenes in a row near the final dungeon, each one focused on a different duo of party members talking about their attraction to each other. It almost felt like some kind of parody by the time the third one started up.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope Ys X is good but I have heard its kinda average. :(

I heard this about IX before going into it and I really enjoyed it, so that doesn't worry me too much.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bewilderment posted:

The main negative I have heard is that the soundtrack is not speed metal?

Ys 8 opens with this as its tutorial boss theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rtGEQCYCI

Then afterwards follows it up with this as the first general exploration theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBla5NUlvk

Will be very sad if the music is not regularly shredding. haven't played 9. Or any other Ys in fact.

Ys9 has some decent tracks but Ys8 just kills it on the OST front, I was blown away the first time I heard that first area theme. The first one for the other protagonist is great too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The only things I thought 9 did better were characters/dungeon exploration. 8 was a fantastic experience and I think it (along with some aspects of octopath 2) soured how I felt about ff16

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I dropped off Sea of Stars after about 4 hours (when I caught up in my save to the demo content) and I do not understand the critical response or general Twitter reception I see to that game

People who didn't play octopath 2 imo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

CaptainRat posted:

Octopath Traveler 2, the pinnacle of video game achievement.

Only game that's anywhere close for me this year is baldur's gate 3

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Looper posted:

i don't like this mechanic because it incentivizes standing around waiting for the mob to face away from you

In star rail, you can charge right up to them and smack 'em, as long as your controllable character has a type advantage you'll get the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Edit:
Ah, yeah. In the original game Insta-kill always triggered and gave no exp or items, just a low-level persona. They changed it so it has to be manually triggered but also made it give you EXP/Items/etc too. It used to be optimal to NOT do Ryuji's S-link because of that.

It was great just driving around and racking up easy xp as the chill new mementos themes played.