Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone with a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus get their $40 google wallet monies? I'm rooted and I pre-ordered and activated on the 19th, am I gonna get my monies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

b0nes posted:

I thought it was $50?

Ya, I already got the $10 but the $40 is deposited later. :iiam:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Nevermind, I got it fixed.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 29, 2012

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
My rooted, stock ROM, sprint galaxy nexus keeps trying to install the 4.3 update again. I already installed it and re-rooted. The second time it came up I installed it again thinking it was messed up or was a new update. Now I just think its loving stupid. Why is it trying to install the update again? Any ideas?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SalTheBard posted:

The act of rooting your phone doesn't wipe it. Installing custom ROMs is where you would lose apps. If your phone is rooted though apps like Titanium and Helium will back up your phone

that's not entirely true. unlocking the boot loader will erase the phone and that's the first step in rooting.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

beyonder posted:

Came upon this method and boom. Rooted, apps and data are intact. Only glitch was language setting changing to english but that was rectified in about five seconds. Oh and the phone that I rooted is SGS3 LTE running 4.1.2.

Thats pretty sweet. whats the link without tweeting or liking?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

huhu posted:

Could someone please elaborate on the horribly vague answers found here:
androidforums.com/galaxy-y-all-things-root/448968-installation-aborted-rooting.html

I'm using the file from this page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36352803

For a Samsung GT-S5360L. I'm getting the error mentioned in the first post. I can't figure out what line of code I need to modify and where it's located.

You need to edit the updater script to recognize your device model number as a supported device. I think...
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-y-all-things-root/448968-installation-aborted-rooting.html#post3541597

This one for GT-S5360L:
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-y-all-things-root/448968-installation-aborted-rooting.html#post3663634

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
My nexus 5 was working fine, rooted, unlocked, stock, but the signal kept dropping after the 4.4.2 update. I decided to do the built in factory resting under device settings backup and restore. The phone rebooted and got stuck on erasing for about an hour. I powered off the device and it went back to the erasing screen. I tried a manual flash of the original stock firmware from google but I get an error FAILED (remote: flash write failure). I tried flashing a custom recovery and flashing a ROM and it failed as well. I basically tried everything, fix permissions, format cache, erase cache, nothing helped. Worst part is I bought the phone off a guy at work and I'm worried about google transferring the warranty to me. Any suggestions?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does it boot into fastboot correctly? Hold down the volume down key while you power the phone on.

Yes, I can get into fastboot, thats where I have tried flashing the stock firmware which failed. I could only temporarily boot the custom recovery since flashing failed. Is there a firmware restore tool like odin? Anyone ever heard of google transferring warranties between accounts?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They will transfer the warranty, yes. You'll need to have the original purchaser call them. I've done it before a few times.

However, I can help you. If you want, we can even do a hangout and work on it. I'm ericcorp AT gmail DOT com if you want to chat right now (I have a few minutes on lunch) and I bet we can sort it out.

Thanks Mr. McJerkface but I'm at work and the phone is at home. You think you will be around tonight say 5pm PST? thanks

I emailed you, thanks again for the offer.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 11, 2013

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Since the Android Phone thread are being unhelpful assholes, I'll ask here:
For the last two days, I've had a Location Set By GPS notification trapped in my tray. It can't be swiped away, and when I press it just takes me to the settings screen where I can disable location services. Where is it coming from and how do I get rid of it? I'm on a D2USC running CM 10.2.

Does the problem persist when using the OS version that was meant to run on the phone?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

im fat posted:

I just bought a used Nexus 7. I did the initial setup but I was unable to log in to my google account. Looking through the tablet, I see SuperSU, a picture of what I'm guessing is the previous owner's room and boarding pass, and an episode of Community. I tried to do a factory reset but all this stuff is still there. How can I completely restore it to a stock installation?

I just did this last week for a buddy that crashed his nexus 7. I was able to flash the 4.4.4 factory image.

This was the only part that slowed me down.

quote:

If you are going to flash the nakasi android 4.3 JWR66Y factory image, you will need to download the bootloader from JWR66V and replace the one from the factory image. The bootloader in JWR66Y will fail flashing with a signature mismatch error on the device and InvalidState on fastboot.

[GUIDE] Flashing a Factory Image with fastboot / return to stock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Could someone explain to me why rooting really isn't a thing anymore? I've got a nexus 5 I wanna I was thinking about rooting for XPosed but I'm trying to weigh the pros and con's of voiding my warranty.

I think the thread is referring to rooting to install custom ROMs. I have a nexus 5 and the first thing I did was root it. Pretty much zero need for custom ROMs anymore, thank god we're all on the same page regarding that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Ya, it doesn't void the nexus 5 warranty. Missed that part. There are no cons to rooting your nexus 5.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Zurui posted:

Disclaimer: I read the OP but the links seem to be outdated.

I have a Galaxy Tab 3 that T-Mobile has decided isn't meant to be updated to KitKat. Is there an easy method to root and update it? 4.2 has issues with my bluetooth keyboard and I'd like to fix that without having to shell out for a non-dinosaur router that will transmit at 5.0 ghz.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2525630

and/or

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-3/general

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

NihilCredo posted:

Besides encryption (which is apparently a major battery drain) and keeping the address of the remote wipe service in a note in your wallet, are there any other measures you can take to make your unlocked-bootloader phone more secure in the case of theft?

You can lock the boot loader using this app. That way its locked unless you have the PIN to get into the phone and open the app to unlock it as needed. It can also reset the tamper flag if you need to RMA the phone, not that they have checked in my experience. This applies to the Nexus 5. Also leave off USB debugging unless needed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.segv11.bootunlocker

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
When can I load the final version of lollipop on my N5 and will it require a wipe/clean install or can I upgrade from kitkat? What is the state of root on lollipop, will have to root it again?

Christ, just read that root will require a custom kernel. Ugh, really?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 23, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

In fact the SuperSU zip could be made to pre-flash the kernel for you, which Chainfire hinted at in his post. So it might not actually require any additional steps for the user.

Ya but what are we going to lose by running a custom kernel? Is this going to make updates harder, have to revert to a regular kernel before applying OTA updates?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

The custom kernel is literally the stock kernel with one very specific change. It will probably break OTAs (not certain on this, it's been a long time since I ran a custom kernel) but root frequently does that anyway and you have a Nexus device so you can just fastboot update the factory image just like always and then reapply the patched kernel. Anyone who is comfortable using a rooted phone should be more than comfortable with these things already.

Currently I apply the update, then restore root, with SuperSU OTA root survival its even easier. But now you have to flash the original kernel, that was backed up somewhere? then apply the update, and flash the kernel and root again? Its not a matter of being comfortable doing this, its just a waste of time.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

Return it and buy a better tablet that you don't need to root?

Since buying a new tablet might not be a reasonable solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996873

edit: I don't have any experience rooting that device or using that method. But for as lovely as xda is its the best source for rooting info.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 30, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It is the first generation HD 7" screen model I bought when they first came out.

Still well within the return period I'm sure. BTW poor choice, I hope you feel bad. Should have gotten a nexus dipshit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, r0ck0 was joking and making fun of me and nimper, he was trying to help from the beginning. Serves him right for not immediately making GBS threads on anyone that buys a non-Nexus.

Whoosh :negative:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

Hoooly poo poo. I installed the latest teamhacksung build of CM7 on my Captivate last night. What a night and day difference. I had tried some of the froyo roms available on XDA but even those don't hold a candle to CM7. Just an all around zippy experience and I haven't even done any overclocking. Still a few bugs of course but those are to be expected.

My phone can finally live up to its potential, and the Samsung devs can :fuckoff:

How far we have come...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I will never use a non-rooted phone. BTW rooted doesn't mean load the latest teamsucklongdong build of futterbucker's superhypershit rom.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Newsman posted:

I guess I should clarify that it won't boot up at all. I have no idea what the man did to the thing but he done hosed it up good.

Uh so what do you think we can do? The phone won't power on at all? Have you tried putting it in the microwave for an energy transfusion?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Looks like its been rooted/boot loader unlocked. It shouldn't be a problem. Were you able to restore the original factory image via odin?

You should refer to XDA for restore solutions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2389426

Also this looks pretty straight forward:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: back to stock, unroot, stock recovery and reset flash counter
http://www.andromods.com/unroot-locking/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-restore-stock-no-root-reset-flash-counter.html

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 11, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Why the gently caress are you giving him a project to do? Dude was sold a used phone as new, take it back. It doesn't matter if he can get it back to normal, he was sold something different than he was told.

I assumed he bought it on craigslist or the like and uh good luck returning poo poo there. But ya if you bought it from a store why would you even post it here, take it back. Do they even sell new notes 2 anymore?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Who still has factory new phones that were released 2 years ago? You sure they are not factory refurbished?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is there any way to change the white home button and google search bar to semi transparent like they were in kitkat? And change the app drawer to black instead of white. Rooted Nexus 5 lollipop.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Shannow posted:

It's bugging me enough that I've stuck Nova Launcher on for now, hopefully Xposed/gravitybox will be up and running soon enough.

I just came back to ask if anyone was using nova launcher. How are you liking it? I'm gonna install it tonight.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I installed nova and liked what it did with the search bar, app tray and home button but hated everything else. sigh

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do you hate? It's highly customizable.

I like the google now page, :3: and the icon spacing and other minor things just make it look bad. I didn't want to fiddle with all the options to get it back to looking stock.

What is the latest in trusted bluetooth devices for lollipop? Something to always carry around that keeps the phone unlocked? Anyone tested the wallet finder things to see if they work even though they are low energy? I used a bluetooth keyboard at home last night, it worked but after about an hour it would disconnect/timeout without input.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

The LE stuff doesnt work. Best looking thing at the moment is the Motorola power pack micro.

Ugh, that thing is huge.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

it will last for ages (in the bottom of your bag)

You think I carry a murse?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone else have that generic blue avatar thing in the top right of their lock screen? I just sideloaded the update on my buddies nexus 7 and the avatar is his google+ picture. I did a clean install but I entered my google account creds during the first boot. Anyway to update that little generic avatar?

edit: I found it! Settings > users > tap the user to change, tap the generic avatar icon and chose from the drop down. Pretty nice.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 14, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

You have to install Google+ and enable contact sync.

Yep, thats the real solution, my edit is a work around.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just added these additional sources to my adaway. Got them from adblock plus, obviously. Anyone got any other sources that should be used?

Blocks all the stupid social media buttons on sites
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt

Blocks tracking and other privacy things
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

anakha posted:

Thanks for this.

I also noted the host file provided in this XDA thread, but wanted to ask if anyone had tried this out first.

In addition to the default sources in adaway I use these:

https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy_annoyance.txt
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

datajosh posted:

Adaway modifies the hosts file and these are Adblock Plus filters. Adding these in Adaway won't do anything except make your hosts file bigger and possibly make browsing slower.

Goddamn, you're right. Dur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
So I took apart a motorola HX550 to use as a trusted bluetooth device. Removed the speaker and put it in a smaller enclosure so I can carry it in my pocket without it being too big. It works fine but I would like to disable using it as a media or phone device. I can only disable one, not both, otherwise it disconnects. I have it connected as a phone device so every time I get a call I have to switch to the handset before talking. Are there any tricks to only connect to the device but not route audio through it? I'm rooted if that helps. I tried googleing but everything comes up as not getting any audio when they want it.