Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I asked this in the GPU megathread, but I'm hoping maybe this thread can maybe provide some additional options, or just reenforce the ones from the GPU thread.

Right now I have an Acer G257HL bmidx as my only monitor. I bought because it was on sale when I built my computer in late 2015. The intent was always to replace it later with at 1440p monitor, but I just never got around to it and now I'm looking at options and I'm a bit overwhelmed by what is out there. I use the computer for gaming and watching media, no work is being done on it. I mostly play Final Fantasy XIV (the mmo) and 3rd person action games like Dark Souls and the like. I also have my PS4 hooked up to the monitor and just swap inputs as needed for what I want to play. G-sync looks like a good option since I'm using a GTX 970 and any of the newer titles I try to run I have to drop settings to hit a 60fps lock, whereas I'd be fine with a consistent 45-50fps on high/ultra settings on something with g-sync. My current monitor is IPS and I haven't used a TN panel in years, so I'm not really sure how aggressive the color shifting is, and since I don't play first person shooter games a 1ms response time doesn't mean much to me; I won't be able to dodge roll any faster in DS1 with a 1ms refresh than I already do with a 6ms refresh. I refuse to go to a smaller sized monitor, so 25" and up, 27" is looking like a sweet spot, buuuuut I've seen screens of FFXIV at 3440x1440 and being able to see huge areas at once is kind of enticing.

Budget is going to be up to $800, but realistically I'd like to spend no more than about $550. I'm not opposed to waiting for regular sales or refurbished devices, since some of the best products I've ever owned have been refurbs; I am largely opposed to flashy "GAMER" bullshit though, I want things to look nice, not like 17 year old designed it or something. I've looked at the Acer XB271HU bmiprz, which is about as gaudy as I'm willing to go, and the Dell S2716DG online, doesn't look like it's in any stores in my area for me to actually see the color shift for myself. The Acer X34 looks loving sweet, but that's way too pricey at $1300.

tia

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Dell S2716DG after some research. I like the look of it, it sounds like the trade-offs for a TN panel vs IPS aren't anything that would bother me with the way my desk is set up, and it's available right now for $570 instead of having to wait for something else to come in stock on refurb. Not pulling the trigger yet, but probably will pretty soon.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bought directly from Dell, their return policy seems pretty straight forward with no hoops to jump through, so I'm content with that. I guess we'll see if I can handle a TN screen after years of IPS usage!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fortunately(?) my desk layout doesn't really accommodate a multi-monitor set up, so the IPS monitor will get repurposed for something else or I'll sell it to my brother to replace the absolute garbage Samsung monitor he has.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Boxman posted:

Wait, did you pay the $570 that dell.com currently has it listed at? Cause it's only $470 on Amazon at the moment.

Shiiiiiiiit I didn't even think to check Amazon.

Edit: Looks like buying via Dell got me a better/longer warranty? It's saying it has a 3 year warranty and Amazon just says it has a standard 1 year. 3 year feels better to me since in my experience devices tend to fail after a year, so potentially worth the extra hundo.

Edit 2: Or maybe the 3 year warranty is no matter where you buy it, but you have to deal with the retailer you bought it from according to some other forums??? I dunno, I'll just eat the extra money I paid and not worry about it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2017

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

eames posted:

My panel appears to be excellent with zero QC issues (zero dead/stuck pixels, no backlight bleeding, ghosting, clouding/uniformity issues, color banding or pixel inversion).
Gamma/color/contrast settings are really very bad out of the box but perfectly fine post-calibration.

What are your calibration settings? I just got mine today also, but all the online guides for calibrating it want me to drop brightness down to like 18%, which makes the screen incredibly dim.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DrDork posted:

Are you the type of person who wanders into BestBuy and thinks "my, that green grass on those TVs looks marvelous"?

I mean, you do you, but there's very much a tendency for default settings on TVs and some monitors to try to turn "normal" pictures into color schemes more appropriate for Saturday morning kid's cartoons, because more bright poppy colors = moar better in some consumer's eyes, and to hell with accuracy and to double hell with whatever the artist's intent was. If that's all you've ever been exposed to, a properly calibrated screen might initially appear a bit muted by comparison until you reset yourself a bit.

Well my issue isn't muted colors, it's that the suggested settings make the screen just overall very dim/dark. I toned down the intense color vibrance, but the "calibrated" settings I was seeing on a few different sites all basically had you turning down the screen brightness and contrast to where I was having to squint to actually see anything. Maybe if I used the monitor in a dark room that would be fine, but it's pretty well lit where i have my desk.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

eames posted:

I tried a few calibration settings and settled with settings close to the tomshardware review.

Essentially it's the Custom preset with RGB 96/99/100, Brightness 34, Contrast 68 and gamma correction via the simple built in Windows screen calibration, which is about the same as setting 0.85 Gamma in the NVIDIA control panel. My old Spyder 3 colorimeter has degraded so may have to borrow one to verify those settings, just because I am curious.

34% screen brightness is ~120cd/m2 according to reviews which looks about right and comfortable to me.

If you want the screen to look like a new Samsung LED TV in Shop presentation mode, drop the Gamma to 0.60 and set Digital Vibrance to +70. There are detailed settings for this in the top rated Amazon user review for the S2417DG. I personally can't stand that look because it completely throws any notion of Color accuracy out the window but 700 people rated the Amazon review helpful and it's a gaming monitor after all. :shrug:

Oh thank god, this looks perfect.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Currently have an LG 34GP950G-B that I got for $900 in July of last year. Love it, great monitor, works with the AMD GPU I just got as well despite having a hardware G-Sync module. I didn’t want to upgrade my monitor, but the OLED sirensong is calling me :shepspends:. Problem is it seems the ultrawide QD-OLED Samsung panel monitors all have issues with ambient light making them look grey instead of black according to reviews, and LG’s 45” ultrawide WOLED panel to gets kinda treated as yesterday’s display tech. Is it better to just hold off and enjoy my IPS ultrawide for another generation of monitors to release, or is it still just that much better than everything else anyway?

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 5, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Go see the QD-OLED in a store somewhere. I'd say the whole issue about ambient light making them "gray" is way overblown by reviewers trying to get meaningful differences to mention between OLED and QD-OLED. Either of them is a night and day difference to a normal IPS backlit monitor.

Not gonna lie, getting the samsung S95B kinda ruined my perfecly good IPS monitors for gaming content for me.

Can't find anywhere that has the QD-OLED on display here, but for laughs I went to look at the 45" LG after work and it's hilariously large. Web pages and text looked kind of like rear end due to the PPI of the thing, but it looked fine when I fullscreened a 3440x1440 YT video. Definitely not something I could see myself living with on a daily basis because of how much time I spend shitposting on discord and reading websites.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I suggest holding. The 34GP950 is a great monitor, and OLED tech is continuing to improve. Just stop reading news and reviews of displays and enjoy your current monitor for another year or two imo.

Unless I just stumble across an AW3423DWF in a store and it utterly blows my socks off, I think seeing the chungus LG has dissuaded me.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well I know I said seeing one in person turned me off from it, but it planted a seed in my brain and I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I actually really liked the LG 45GR95QE. And since I apparently just have money to set on fire, I went ahead and got one. :homebrew: Turns out I love it and the pixel density absolutely doesn’t bother me at all after using it for a few days. The monitor getting a $200 price reduction didn’t hurt things either.

It’s still comically large though, so I don’t think I could readily recommend it to anyone else unless they want a massive gently caress-off 45” 800R curved monitor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shipon posted:

There's a pretty big difference between 1800R and 800R. 1800R feels just right for an ultrawide panel

Yeah the 800R curve is extremely aggressive. I think it only works on this monitor because of how huge the panel is. If it were any smaller the curve would make things look awful.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Surely with a monitor that big, you would sit further away and so a shallower curve would be more suitable? From the photo the edges look much too close to the camera compared to the centre of the screen.

Photo was taken with my phone’s ultrawide camera, so there is a bit of fisheye going on there. I’m sitting about as close to the screen as I did when I had a 1700R 34” UW monitor, which is arguably too close, but it works for me personally. Again, it’s absolutely something I cannot recommend to most people.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Nice drink coaster. Are the new ones more stable with cans? I got the original set of four (cost a fortune to get them shipped to the EU), and I like them, but they are just a bit wobbly with thin bottles and cans.

Yes and no. The SSD and RAM ones are not very stable with cans, but the GN logo and the CPU socket ones are.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I really need to make an SA Mart post, but I’m selling my LG 34GP950G-B ultrawide, in case anyone is interested in a used monitor with only 1,500 hours on it. $600 seems like a fair price, given I got it deeply discounted in the first place?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/34gp950g-b

e: Listed for sale. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033055

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 30, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

TY for the thoughts, yeah my workspace is the till at the shop I'm purchasing so considering how much debt I'm going into to acquire it, the setup at least is going to be a forever thing lol. I am trying like hell to squeeze a 27" panel in simply for the sake of wide/cheap selection but... I have 36 inches of linear width to accomodate my standing desk/till setup, that is probably closer to 34" if I want it to be comfortable. even a super-minimal bezel on a 27" panel eats 24 of them and I can't see poo poo!

E: can’t see poo poo around the sides / to the front of the store. I am used to funky scaling my laptop is a xps13 at native 1920x1200

Sorry, I’m a touch confused; you’re buying a monitor to use at your job where you run a cash register? Why are you being expected to replace the business’s screen?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Correct, I am the owner and sole employee, so in the 75% of the time I'm there during which I'm not selling jug vodka to assholes, I will be gaming and posting.

Ah, okay. My reading comprehension must be going to poo poo. Anyway, Best Buy as a refurbished S2417DG for $271 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6378713.p?skuId=6378713, which is pretty much the best option I can find in your needed specs unless that AOC monitor mentioned up thread does become available in NA.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Any opinions on the new(ish) HP Omen monitors? My brother’s old hand-me-down just died and I’m trying to find a decent, but not expensive, replacement. The Omen 27q (2023) looks like it might be good at $210 on Amazon, but there aren’t really any reviewers I’d trust who have looked at it. $210 is about $10 more than I really want to spend on it, but if it’s best-in-class that’s available then I’m fine with it. Has a 4.6 star rating on amazons with 1400 reviews. :shrug: I don’t know if this is the same as the X27q that was already being talked about. HP’s naming scheme sucks.

https://a.co/d/j0Pq5ov

Fwiw it’s being driven by an Intel i5-6500 & RX 6600 XT system, so it’s not going to hit the limits of what the monitor can handle.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

which is stupid as gently caress, because 4k displays on mobile are a waste of battery life.

Sony would disagree. Not for any actually good reason, but just because they can, and it lets me brag that my cell phone has a 4K screen :smuggo:

Orange Devil posted:

I have this question except I have an RTX4070 and will also be using the monitor for wfh and definitely don't want to deal with burn-in, which as far as I can tell rules out OLED. Thanks in advance.

FWIW I got the 45" LG OLED back in April and despite putting over 800 hours of use on it there have been no signs of burn-in that I can see. I do have it set to enter sleep mode after 3 minutes of inactivity (unless video is playing), so that along with whatever other mitigations LG has in place seem to be doing their jobs. I have a colorful wallpaper and don't hide the Windows taskbar, and nothing shows up in other programs or games that go full screen. Undoubtedly it will eventually become an issue due to the nature of OLED, but it's been fantastic thus far. That said, if you're going to have a mostly static desktop for hours at a time where the screen won't be allowed to go to sleep or do its regular pixel/display refreshing then I agree that OLED is absolutely not what you want.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Truga posted:

i want a 32" 4k, would be real nice if it's an oled, but that "3 year warranty for burnin" is really not confidence inducing, i'm not buying something that'll surely be over $1k that has to be replaced after only 3 years lol

Are you saying it's too short of a warranty period, or too long? I'm really confused by why having a longer warranty than typical in a product space is less confidence inducing. Most monitors only come with a 1 year warranty.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Animal posted:

I'll have to ask Dell to replace it under their burn-in warranty. I went and purchased a Sony Inzone M9 IPS 27" 4K. An amazing little monitor. But it doesn't hold a candle to the OLED. Sadly I do too much productivity (reading SA on one window and watching YT on the other) so the OLED is not practical if its just gonna keep burning in. I'm already mourning the loss of the OLED, its like letting go of one of the most amazing pieces of gaming tech I've experienced. Curiously, looking at new flat 27" screen feels weird as hell, it feels like its convex and 4:3. Weird how the brain works after it gets used to a curved ultra wide screen.

What burn-in mitigations does the Alienware have? From your post in the GPU thread, you've had the Alienware longer than I've had my LG and I'm curious what your monitor reports as its total use time. I'm at 718 hours since April and if there is any burn-in on my LG I've not been able to notice it. The LG does have aggressive pixel cleaning every 4 hours and panel cleaning is supposed to happen after I think 1000 hours, so I'm getting close to my first one of those, and I have the monitor set to go to sleep if the computer is idle for more than 3 minutes; it also has a larger panel than the display size so it can shift the image around by however many pixels every so often. I assume the Alienware has that too, but generally am curious what your use case looks like beyond just having some windows pinned.

I imagine my FFXIV HUD will be the first thing to start burning in on this monitor when it does finally appear, and I know that it will happen sooner or later.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kin posted:

Cheers, got the model number.

It's a Dell latitude 5320 with i5-1145G7

Not sure if that's enough to go on to help find more info?

It's only got one native HDMI port (with the other being provided by a multi port hub plugging into the USB C port).

I just swapped the cables around to test the laptop/hub ports and it's the same situation, so it might still be a cable problem.

I'll not be able to swap about the cables in the back of the monitors until later today annoyingly so can't quickly rule out the cable being an issue.

Though, I would have guessed that if the laptop could only output 1440p to one port it would be consistent with that?

So I share this only because I've run into this problem before, and I don't know if this exactly matches what you're dealing with, but if you go into the display settings and select the monitor that isn't displaying the correct resolution change it to a non-standard resolution, and then change it back to the resolution you want. I've had this happen for a few of the Dell Latitude laptops with docking stations at work and this has always resolved the problem.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

What's a good 27 inch 4k monitor with a good refresh rate? I have a 2060 super GPU. Price is ideally $600 max. Using it for editing video and photos and some gaming.

I am flexible on monitor size, but not too much bigger

change my name posted:

Open box Sony Inzone M9

$624 Open-box at Best Buy.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-27-inzone-m9-4k-hdr-144hz-gaming-monitor-with-full-array-local-dimming-and-nvidia-g-sync-white/6512813.p

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I got paid today! Which means finally I should decide on a monitor to replace my lovely LG LED 22EN33 one. Needing to buy a VGA-HDMI cable along with my 3070Ti hurt a little bit.

I'm looking at 1440p and high refresh rates (120+), since I care more about smoothness rather than playing something super intensive. Looking more for something that will endure a little bit, and that lets me make proper use of my PC's power.

After some very brief looking, I have come across the LG UltraGear 27GR75Q-B, for a bit less than 300 euro, which seems to hit some obvious basics, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. Reviews I could find for the series in general seem good, and it is the 2023 model, so it's not like it's out of date or anything, but I don't know if there's a catch. I don't really have the budget for OLED (and I've heard they get burn-in? Don't want that in the slightest, a lot of my screen always has the same stuff on it), and apparently the HDR isn't great, but I've never used HDR so I can't tell the difference anyway.

Is it a good choice? Anything better for around that money?

I bought an HP Omen 27q for my brother a few months back and he seems to like it. Appears to be around the same price, and rtings.com has reviewed it, HP OMEN 27q review. That said I also like LG monitors and don't imagine the 27GR75Q-B is a bad choice either if you feel it calling to you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Didn't see it posted, so sharing that the Alienware AW3423DWF is currently on sale at Dell and Best Buy for $800 ($200 off MSRP).

Dell
Best Buy

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So with Black Friday coming up and an unexpected bonus at work I was thinking of getting a new monitor and looking for recommendations

I currently have a Dell2719DGF monitor. 27 inch, 144Hz, TN Panel. It's been serviceable but I'm getting tired of the colors being washed out and would like something that just...looks nicer. Much better contrast, deeper blacks, that sort of thing. Like my current screen just sort of makes everything overall look grey and faded.

I'm looking for something at least 27 inches and 144Hz. I'm running a 4080 so I'm not sure a 4K screen is the best idea for keeping higher frame rates (at least if I want to keep it at high end at that resolution in a few years) so probably 1440p again. A larger monitor would be neat and my desk could accommodate it but I've heard mixed things over whether larger than 27 inches is worth it for 1440p because of the pixel density.

I'm not sure I can splurge for an OLED panel (although maybe there'll be some big black Friday sales), but I'm also pretty terrified of burn in and would like more than five years out of this thing and considering I play a lot of RTS and FPS games with static UI bits it makes me a little nervous. So probably I'm guessing an IPS or VA panel would be the best.

If you're okay with an ultrawide, also known as God's own aspect ratio, the Alienware/Dell AW3423DWF QD-OLED 3440x1440 monitor is discounted to $800 right now on Dell's site and at Best Buy. A 34" ultrawide 21:9 1440p monitor has the same pixel density as a 27" standard 16:9 1440p monitor. Animal had some burn in issues with their's upthread, but it has a 3 year burn in warranty and Dell simply replaced it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That has been fairly hit and miss in my experience. Most things seem to understand what to do and just display as a 16:9 image with pillar boxing, but sometimes that doesn't happen and the image stretches out. If that's an issue for you then someone else can probably give you a better recommendation.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm guessing you just use another device for streaming?

Apple TV 4K is, hands down, the best way to do streaming services on a TV. Even if you don't have a single other Apple product to do ecosystem poo poo with, it cannot be beaten. It's also what I use on my C2, and I put one on my parents' TV so they wouldn't have to deal with Tizen's apps on their Samsung Frame.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

god please help me posted:

Is the Pixio PX275C Prime Pink Edition at 1440p and 100 hertz a decent monitor? I wanted a pink/colored monitor, and I'm hoping that 100 hertz refresh rate would be much nicer than 60.

That's a lot of money for aesthetics over function. It only has a DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4. Even with the $30 off coupon on Amazon, that 's still $250 which could buy you a much better monitor, though probably in black.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I guess I'm open to the idea of painting a monitor. Which monitor is a better value/price?

The Alienware AW2724DM is a bit more at $330 and you get a substantially better monitor. At the same $280 price point there is the ViewSonic OMNI XH2431 or Gigabyte M27Q Pro (the preview image says 240Hz, that's a lie, it's 165Hz, the 240Hz one is $450).

Look around RTings.com's recommended list and you'll find something in your price bracket that will fit your needs.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

change my name posted:

Razer's 27-inch 1440p 165Hz monitor has been hanging around $300 even lately but I have no clue if it's actually good or worth getting over the Gigabyte M27Q/ M27Q Pro

The Razer Raptor 27 is probably a worse pick in this instance simply because it has a fabric covered back which would be a nightmare to try to paint. In general though, looking at rtings, they seem pretty comparable.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you for the responses I've gotten regarding the pink Pixio monitor. I'm still trying to do some research into the matter, but I guess a question that comes up is what makes the Pixio bad for the money in comparison to other monitors? Unfortunately, $300 is my breaking point, and anything more is too much for me. Heck, I was even thinking about picking up a cheap $100 1920 x 1080 144hz monitor if not for the fact that the Pixio was higher resolution and could 100 hz. I've only had 60 hz and 1080p before.

I don't want an OLED because I'm afraid of burn in, but would I be hurting if I don't get a 144hz monitor? Nice colors would be neat, but it's not super important to me. I'm an artist, but primarily I work with black and comics. :v:

Fun fact: I'm currently using my pen display tablets as a monitor because it's the only thing I was able to take with me. Anything would be a step up, especially ergonomics wise.

edit: is something like the GIGABYTE G27Q 27" a better purchase than the Pixio?

The Gigabyte G27Q Pro is a better purchase just because of what you're getting for your money. HDMI 2.0 instead of HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.4 instead of DisplayPort 1.2, a higher refresh rate of 165Hz (can be overclocked to 170Hz). From what I'm finding the Gigabyte has slightly better coverage of the DCI-P3 color space, both exceed SRGB colorspace by a good 15-20%. The Gigabyte gets slightly brighter, but it's not a huge difference.

The biggest thing is that the Gigabyte has been reviewed by rtings.com, which is considered one of, if not the, best monitor and tv ratings sites. They have not reviewed the Pixio, but the Gigabyte has done well enough in the sub-$300 price class for them to give it a recommended mark across 11 different articles for varying use cases. It's not a super fancy high end OLED or anything like that, but it's a very good monitor for less than $300.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ephphatha posted:

Just had one of my monitors die due to an unplanned power outage, this post and the last couple of pages of discussion about 1440p monitors has been really helpful. Based on the rtings recommendations and the monitors that had been discussed here I ended up ordering an AW2723DF since Dell AU have it on sale in their black friday offers. With the 7% education discount it ended up costing AU$650 delivered (cheaper than the AW2724DM for this island...). Seemed like a reasonable choice given the LG 27GP850-B was almost the same price at AU$600+30 delivery and the M27Q X was more expensive at $630+30 delivery. I've currently got an XB271HU as my primary (the deceased monitor was a dell U2312HMt) with the bugged gsync module that occasionally decides to relocate a few columns of image data from the middle of the screen to the edge, I'll lose no sleep making that the secondary monitor.

The AW2723DF is, by pretty much all measures, a better monitor than the AW2724DM so that's a pretty good deal! Dell's pricing in the US still has the DF at $650 USD vs $330 for the DM. Be sure to use DiplayPort so you get the full refresh range of the monitor instead of being limited to 144Hz over HDMI. Hope you enjoy the new monitor!

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 16, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED is $1099 with a $100 coupon applied at Amazon for black friday, sale is already active (total $500 off)

Samsung Odyssey G9 57" dual 4K is also $500 off, currently $1999.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

xgalaxy posted:

I switched from an UW to a dual 4k 32" and kind of regret it. I LOVE the pixel density for text heavy work but dual 32" is too much head movement.
I’d kill for a >38" UW with a 5k2k resolution and at least 100hz.

Well, the 49" Samsung Odyssey OLED G9, 5120x1440, is "only" $1,099 at Amazon right now with a coupon applied. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C48D7Q22

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Goons, why is this monitor so bloody cheap? 50% off $499 at time of posting.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-43-Inch-Technology-FreeSync-LS43CG702NNXZA/dp/B0BW1VM62Y/

edit: Ditto this one. $700 at time of posting, also 50% off.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824026323?Item=N82E16824026323

The 43" G7, and I assume the LG as well, came out in Q1 of this year so they're probably about to get replaced in a few months when CES happens is my guess.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I mean, yeah, but also :effort: Honestly TVs are terrible compared to monitors! I'm surprised monitors are still not crammed full of ads and poo poo at this point

Might I interest you in a Samsung Smart Monitor with Tizen? https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...unxza/#benefits

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Appoda posted:

Is the LG 27GR95QE the go-to monitor for splurging? A friend of mine wants to buy himself a christmas present for a rough year; I've been looking at this one and a few others. What's considered high end these days without being like, for rich assholes only? Are there good HDR monitors now?

Budget's probably like, $800-$1500 Nvm, more like, $600-800. Don't think he wants more than 1440p/27" for space reasons. I'm still happy with a budget IPS display I got 3-4 years ago, so I'm out of the loop on what's good.

E: Turns out they want to pay a little less, so I suppose the question becomes "what's better than the budget 1440p IPS without being a thousand dollars." afaict, the LG 27GR95QE is the best OLED you can get for that price range.

The ASUS variant, the PG27AQDM, is about $50 and rtings.com rates it higher because it has better peak brightness, but for a 1440p 27" WOLED monitor you can't really go wrong with either.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gr95qe-b-vs-asus-rog-swift-oled-pg27aqdm/36349/37157?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Edit: fwiw I have the LG's bigger 45" brother monitor and if I was picking between the LG and ASUS 27" I'd personally go for the LG.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 27, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ethanol posted:

i cant for the life of me figure out why my 4090 has 3 display port 1.4s too slow to run my display and 1 hdmi 2.1. on a card where i would actually want the highest speed ports with more than one monitor

DisplayPort 1.4a has enough bandwidth to do 3840x2160 at 120 Hz with HDR enabled. Might have to use DSC for 10-bit color, but I'm confused what monitor(s) you're running where this isn't sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DSC stands for Display Stream Compression. As far as enabling 4K @ 120Hz over DisplayPort, check in the Nvidia control panel while connected to a device that supports that resolution and refresh, you should have the option to enable it there.