Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

LakesGuzzler posted:

Got mine (2311) from Scan for £1 more than Dell!

Annoyingly, a significant reason I bought it was for colour accuracy and most of the time I care about that under OSX. Only these Dell monitors have some serious problems under OSX (which I'm certainly experiencing). Pinstripes.. just what I always wanted...

I can reduce the pinstripes a little (or at least move them from one shade to another) by screwing around with the gamma settings, but on the whole I'd currently recommend against this monitor for Macs - including Hackintoshes.

What is wrong with you? I've been reading this and the previous monitor thread for probably a year. Literally the only thing that has been established beyond a shadow of a doubt is that

The 2311 is great for the price for regular computing.
The 2410 is what you get if you care about color accuracy.

Are you so loving stupid that you saw this but didn't comprehend it? Or did you just not read the thread?

I know I sound like a dick but these two facts have been established umpteen times in this thread and your post is even more annoying to me than the 20th person posting "what's the best value in the 22-24" range?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Steakandchips posted:

What has that to do with his pinstriping issue?

LakesGuzzler posted:

Got mine (2311) from Scan for £1 more than Dell!

Annoyingly, a significant reason I bought it was for colour accuracy and most of the time I care about that under OSX.

Nothing to do with pinstriping, but I think the quote is pretty clear.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DrDork posted:

It depends on what sort of games you plan on running. If you're more or less just interested in Diablo 3 and equivalent games, you could certainly get away with some single-card solution, like a 6950/6970/570. If you'd also be interested in something like, say, Battlefield 3 when that comes out, then you would probably need to kick it up a notch, either to a dual-GPU solution, or something like a 6990 (which is pretty much a dual-GPU solution anyhow, just on a single PCB). For some current-game references, on BF2:BC at 2560x1600 w/4xFSAA a 6950'll do about 45fps, a 6970/580 will do ~50fps, and a 6990 will do ~90fps. At 1920x1200 the 6950 does 65fps, and the others all do higher than that.

Ever since I got my second monitor I stopped running games in full screen. Is there anyone here who games at 2560x1600? It seems like you spend a lot of extra money on video cards and still get middling performance. Plus, with two+ monitors full screen sucks, clicking on another monitor causes the game to minimize and the screen to change resolution. I guess nowadays they have the windowed (no borders) mode which gives you full screen without being annoying. I don't think there is much of a difference in immersion between full screen and 3/4ths of the screen, and having the game run at a smooth 60fps more than makes up for the loss.

Sorry this is so rambling, what I'm trying to say is that just because you have a huge monitor does not mean you need to spend the premium for a video card beastly enough to push 60fps at 2650x1600.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

simcole posted:

I read the OP and back about 5 pages, but I didn't see an exact answer for me. I'm looking for a TN panel for about $150-$200 that can play bf3 when it comes out on my Radeon 6850. I do not care about speakers integrated.

1. The OP really should be updated, since there's literally 4 monitors that anybody is recommending, and your question falls under one of them.

2. Are you sure you know how monitors work? There is no such thing as a monitor that won't display BF3, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Enough scolding, your answer is go to newegg or amazon, find a monitor in the size you like and in your price range from a maker you've heard of, and buy it. They will all be TN and they'll all be pretty much the same.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DrDork posted:

It depends on how you want to use the monitors. Any way you cut it, you're going to need another video card. Radeon EyeFinity cards can natively push more than 2 monitors at once (as long as all the ones after 2 use some form of DisplayPort), while NVidia's are all limited to 2 displays per card. If you're just looking to use it for office work or whatever, you're pretty safe just going on NewEgg and buying the cheapest NVidia card you can find that supports the output(s) you want. If you're going to be running the monitors and cards independently, it does NOT need to be the same type of card, or even similar. Hell, technically you could get the cheapest ATI card, too (assuming you have Win7) and slap it in there, but I've never been comfortable mixing brands. If you want to use all three monitors together for gaming with a SLI configuration, then yes, you'd want another 580.

If you have a z68 or h67 motherboard you can plug up to two of your monitors into the on-chip graphics, too.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

David Tennant posted:

Dell is selling the U2312 for 230 and U2412 for 299 on Black Friday.

I told myself months ago that if the 2412 went below $300 I'd buy it, and drat my budget. So, say hello to the newest member of the expensive large monitor club.

By the way, use coupon code 209KF?MB5ZJ728 for an extra $15 off.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

okiedokie posted:

I'm considering buying from the Dell website, and even with the free shipping, it's totaling $330 with tax and an $8 "Environmental Fee". And then I'll have to wait 7 business days for it... Anyone see any better deals out there?

I dunno, $299 is the best price I've ever seen, and buying direct from Dell guarantees they will honor the warranty, unlike buying from eBay or the like.

You know what they say, good monitors come to those who wait. Dell always hilariously overestimates ship times, anyway.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
My black friday 2412 order finally shipped yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Try calling 1-800-624-9897, they can probably help you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Jose posted:

Yeah I'll stick with the U2412m then. I was thrown by the names when I went to dell.co.uk.

Edit: I can't decide between the U2312hm or the U2412m. There is an £80 difference for a single inch. I can afford both but its making the choice hard.

Well the 2312 is 16:9 so really the 2412 (16:10) is both bigger and has 120 extra horizontal lines, quite useful for things like web browsing. On the other hand some people like 16:9 because it displays HD content without black bars.

As the owner of a U2412m I'd recommend it over the U2312hm if you can afford it. They're both very, very good monitors though.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Maybe you're sitting too close? Try pushing it (or yourself) back a few inches and see how you feel.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

shrughes posted:

> it's 10 years old,

They don't make'em like they used to.

> takes up a fuckton of desk space

I don't live in a dorm.

> weighs 100lbs

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.

> takes 170 watts to run,

My laptop has a 170 watt power adapter.

> costs more used than a new 2412

I already have a 2410 so I could just sell it and now the price is less!

> and if/when it breaks because it's 10 years old, you're more or less SOL.

You can buy a broken one and scavenge it for replacement parts.

> oh and it takes a VGA input.

My laptop has a VGA output!

I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to this since you aren't actually looking for advice, only looking to start a fight and/or get patted on the back by other CRT people. But.

Your arguments are hosed up and stupid, much like your face.

> weighs 100lbs

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.

Those words up there? The ones that you typed? They don't make a lick of loving sense. What the gently caress.

> takes 170 watts to run,

My laptop has a 170 watt power adapter.

How much power your laptop uses is irrelevant. 170W is going to cost significantly more than a comparable LCD (esp. a LED-backlit type)

> costs more used than a new 2412

I already have a 2410 so I could just sell it and now the price is less!

Selling your 2410 doesn't lower the price of a FW900, it just gives you more money (which you could have put toward anything...)

It doesn't matter though. Like I said you don't want to be convinced and so you won't be.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

David Tennant posted:

It's the running time of an algorithm. It's not nonsense, its just :spergin:

Oh I didn't realize that the weight of a monitor was in any way comparable to an algorithm. Probably because it isn't. At all.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

HonorableTB posted:

I'm using a GTX 460, and it may just be my TV limiting my resolution to 1900x1280

I've been using my 32'' Samsung HDTV at 1650x768 resolution (I'm pretty sure, I am not near my computer to confirm) and I'd like to get the most advantage out of my video card to get to 1920x1280 resolution

Dude, you are terrible at remembering resolutions. None of these are real. The first and last are sorta close but the middle one is completely made up.

And yeah, 460 supports up to 1600p, its your TV that's limiting you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

thelightguy posted:

Then why go looking for dead pixels that you aren't going to notice in normal operation? They're not going to harm you either.

Consider it to be like the USDA standard of >= 30 fruit fly eggs per 100g for fancy ketchup.

drat, greater than 30 fruit fly eggs per 100g? Sounds like Big Fruit Fly has a lot of sway in the USDA to get such a standard enacted, they must make a lot of money selling all those eggs to heinz.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

movax posted:

Woot has 2x 21.5" 1080p S-IPS monitors + stand for $279.99 (probably + shipping). The size is small, but drat if that isn't a nice entry price into dual-IPS monitor territory.

I'd rather get one u2412m and save up for a year for another one than settle for two much smaller 16:9s.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Corte posted:

Just order the Dell U2412M but wondering if this might not be a better deal: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69432&vpn=PA238QR&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1261. I see another ASUS 23inch recommended in the OP and this one has IPS which is the only necessity I can think of.

It's an inch smaller and 16:9 instead of 16:10. For only $30 more you take the u2412m any day, no question.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Squibbles posted:

I have close to that same setup (i5 is overclocked a bit to 3.2ghz I think) and my video card is a 570. I'm running 2 of the Korean IPS monitors.

Results so far:
Borderlands 2 runs just fine, I even have physx turned up and all the other settings are at maximum I think. Running it windowed-fullscreen.

World of Tanks gets some weird slowdowns when in sniper mode. Might be just buggy stuff, since their new graphics engine just came out. I haven't messed with the settings much but sometimes the FPS drops to like 10.

Torchlight 2 demo runs flawlessly.

XCom demo had no issues.

Guild Wars 2 runs absolutely fine. Though I haven't tried any crazy pvp to really stress it. No issues during pve boss events though.

There's a big difference between a 560 and a 570. Probably 25% or more. Personally I think a 560 is going to show a lot of strain at 1440p.

Unfortunately Anandtech does not have 1440p benchmarks for the 560 but it does have them for the 560 ti, a better card: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547
The results are not promising.

I'd recommend upgrading or playing windowed at 1080p. 1440p at low settings might be ok though. Go check out the parts picking thread or the graphics card thread for more info.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

flashman posted:

I bought an ASUS VE278Q on sale at Staples with my new build and I must say I am quite pleased with it. It's TN but I find the viewing angles are pretty good (I am coming from an old rear end Samsung so perhaps I am a bit easy to please) and at 27 inches it's excellent size for the price. Perhaps I should have went for something that could run more than 1920 but for gaming and stuff that's probably the highest resolution I'll be able to handle regardless. Would recommend for anyone looking for a low response time monitor for sure.

edit: forgot to mention it was only 300 bucks which I thought was quite a good price.

A 27" 1080p TN monitor is possibly the worst thing I can think of. Crappy dot pitch with lovely viewing angles, on a screen big enough that viewing angles start mattering a lot. For not much more than $300 you can get one of the korean IPS 1440p panels.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Jabor posted:

So I need to get another monitor, and I was thinking about getting an nice big HDTV, and then mounting it on the wall a good 5 feet away so it's the same angular size as a regular monitor at a more usual distance.

Someone please tell my why this is a terrible idea, I've got to be overlooking something here.

What do you think the benefit of this will be? For a start text is going to be pretty tough to read.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DrDork posted:

Why would you assume portrait mode wouldn't work? There are other 2560x1440 monitors with rotatable stands from the get-go. What sort of BIOS tinkering are you thinking about?

60Hz vs 120Hz is most prominent in FPS games, where some people find it gives them a tiny edge over lesser monitors. Other than that, pretty much everything you do will feel a bit smoother--mouse movement, web-page scrolling, etc. LoL might benefit from a slightly smoother map scroll, but that's it--you won't get any functional gains from it (or pretty much anything else--once you hit about 30fps in LoL you've pretty much maxed out your actual benefits). Note that for a game to benefit from 120Hz, your other hardware needs to be up to snuff enough to actually push more than 60FPS--a 120Hz monitor being fed 45FPS in BF3 because your hardware is poo poo is going to look almost exactly the same as 45FPS on a 60Hz monitor.

He means that most BIOSes have simple graphics drivers that output a low resolution. The korean monitors won't display anything if they aren't fed a 1440p signal. I don't know of any way around that.

Portrait mode works of course, kind of a silly question when you think about it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Which seller was it? Most of the listings seem to have free shipping.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

ACID POLICE posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280928105274?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2649

It came up as the very cheapest with shipping included so whatever! EMS is an extra $20 though and arrives in 3-5 days

I wouldn't. In fact I think dhsummer is out of stock right now.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm a huge fan of dual monitor setups. I feel that they massively improve productivity. I can't go back to a single monitor anymore, no matter how large.

In your case I think it makes sense to go with 2x u2412m's (or u2410s if you need lots of inputs and good color reproduction). With the prices you listed, 2x 2412m's would have more pixels than the 27" for a lower price.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Aquila posted:

I run 2x Dell 2412m's at work and 2x Korean 27" 2560x1440 Shimians at home, while both setups are great, given the choice I'd always go with the 27" 2560x1440 displays since the cost is the same and the big screens are just amazing.
You would take one 27" over 2x24"? Or do you just mean that 2x27" is better than 2x24"? Because I still think dual monitors is the way to go.

Also, I'm hesitant to recommend the korean monitors to somebody who hasn't already done the research. They come with so many caveats that I think they should remain in the enthusiast space for now.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My U3011 came in today. It's amazing. Every other monitor is crap now. It's viewable from angles that I'd have absolutely no reason to look at it from. It's got almost as many pixels as two 1920x1080 monitors. It's beautiful. The stand for it is also very nice and it's really easy to swivel/tilt/raise/lower. I had it delivered to work and played around with it in my office and lots of coworkers stopped by to check it out. I've checked it for dead pixels and everything looks good. There was a printout of factory calibration results in the box as well as a slew of cables. I want another one but I don't know if my 6950 will handle more than one.

You might be in trouble there. I just looked up a few 6950s and they showed 1x dual link and 1x single link DVI.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Korean monitor trip report:

Ordered a Shimian QH270-Lite (no tempered glass or speakers) from eBay seller dhsummer for $285, the lowest price listed. It took over a week for him to ship it (he said there were issues getting stock), but once he handed it over to FedEx it got here really quickly.

It is packaged with lots of styrofoam and plastic wrap just like any other monitor or TV you might buy.

The stand is completely stable as far as I can tell, no issues with that. Of course it has no height adjustment and the angle adjustment works but not smoothly. The stand and the bezel look pretty good too, I thought the white band might be distracting but it actually looks pretty nice.

The screen itself is pretty great. It comes out of the box at maximum brightness, you'll want to turn it down quite a bit. Mine has one stuck green pixel on the extreme left side, about a third of the way down, and three or so dead pixels in the bottom right corner. The good news is that the pixels are so loving small that you can't really tell unless you're looking for it. Mine has a little bit of backlight bleed in the bottom left corner but it is hard to distinguish from the standard IPS glow. Honestly I've seen Dells with worse backlight bleeding.

Overall I am very impressed, ESPECIALLY for the price. You can't even get a u2412m for $285. The only unknown is how well it will hold up over time. I think the whole blue/green PCB thing has been ironed out, so I'm crossing my fingers hoping there won't be any issues.

edit: Actually my stuck pixel only shows up on light backgrounds. That makes it even less noticeable.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 3, 2012

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Police Automaton posted:

That's good to know, thanks.

From googling around, I want to settle with either the Crossover 27Q or the Crossover 2730MD, which claims to go up to 125 hz which I think would be neat, should I ever plan on buying stereoscopic glasses. Is this even a real thing a monitor like this can do or will it just the same thing my TV does, essentially duplicating frames in post processing? Any experience with this? I could find literally nothing about this model online.

Also from googling around and reading the OP people seem to be afraid of the dreaded input-lag I didn't even know existed. Many people talking about these korean screens talk about input lag being "much worse" with monitors with multiple inputs. Are they making this up? Is that even noticeable by a human in any considerable way?

According to this link the Crossover 2730MD is lying about doing 125hz.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313385/crossover-2730md-p-125hz-6ms-30q5-pro-75hz-5ms/10

Input lag is real, and the multiple input monitors have a scaler which increases the lag. I can't say whether it is noticeable or not except to say that if its noticeable and you dislike it then you have very little recourse for returns.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Breaky posted:

I've been shopping for general upgrades to my desktop system and wanted to see what you guys thought about the older displays I own vs upgrading to newer ones.

Currently I am using 2 Dell 2005FPW 21" flat panels. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-2005FPW-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B0009IPTJU/ref=de_a_smtd

I use the system for gaming about 20% of the time and the rest of the time for word processing / non-3D graphics design work and some light coding / database stuff.

I've got an ATI Gigabyte HD 6950 1gb. I'm figuring with the native resolution of 1680x1050 I wouldn't need a better video card any time soon.

But, I'm interested in what people felt about upgrading to a higher resolution / larger monitor in general. I'm happy with what I've got but do you think that upgrading to a 24" + display at a much higher rez is something that you've personally found enjoyable? Just curious about anyone who's gone from 1680x1050 to something higher and if you really thought it was worth the upgrade.

Thanks

Since you already have two monitors and you are happy with what you have I wouldn't say that you absolutely must go to 24" or 27". However, the larger resolution and screen are really nice. Once you get used to a 24 or 27 you won't want to go back to 20", ever.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Lenin Stimpy posted:

I disagree with this. I had a 27" for quite a long time and went to a 21.5" 1080p simply because it's much harder to get tunnel vision with a smaller screen.

You were sitting too close to your monitor.

edit: Unless you're talking about one of those awful 1080p 27". Those suck. When I say 24" I mean 1080p and when I say 27" I mean 2560x1440 or 2560x1600.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

I was considering this but they silently upped the price 20 dollars since you posted this. Motherfuckers.

It wasn't silent, there was a full 60 seconds of deafening air raid siren at Dell headquarters when they did it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

App13 posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049&

Looking at picking up one of these for a Macbook Air + PS3 setup. Eventually I want to build a new desktop and maybe pick up a second one of these.

Any thoughts?

Any 1080p TN monitor is going to be pretty much the same as any other.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Taima posted:

Wow what in the hell? What am I missing about this monitor? It seems to have a similar overall screen real estate to the 30 inch, with LED backlighting, and 600$? Also supposedly well-calibrated out of the box?

Would this be a realistic upgrade from a 3007-wfp hc? The wide format seems like it would be sweet for design work (I'm a web developer). But I'll be honest, the 600$ price is kind of freaking me out when my 30" was maybe twice that price.

A u3011 has nearly 50% more pixels and a higher PPI and wide gamut. That's a lot of pixels to give up. I think it is priced appropriately and I think it is definitely better for specialist applications.

edit: The korean monitors, while physically smaller, have 33% more pixels than that monitor AND cost half as much. Doesn't seem like much of a bargain when you think about it that way, does it?

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 20, 2012

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Thinker posted:

Thinking of picking up this 27" ViewSonic VX2770Smh for $249 right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=AFC-C8Junction

Anyone know anything about this? Might go with the 2412M for $279 from amazon, just to be safe as an alternative.

1080p at 27" is going to look noticeably worse than at 24". I would try to find a 1080p 27" and see if you like it before pulling the trigger.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

movax posted:

The U2412 is top notch, the ZR2440w I believe rated well on TFTCentral also. I have experience with Dell customer service and its always been great "Oh, we'll 2-day the new monitor to you and then just drop off the old one at FedEx" without asking. :swoon:

I've been slacking horribly on Christmas shopping, and want to get my dad one of those Korean 27s. Posters who've gotten one, what's your suggestion for a glossy one for photo editing and stuff? Their study has blinds/easily controllable light, and my parents are not fans at all of the AG coating on my Dells. Non-poo poo stand is a plus.

(yes I am using you guys to do my Christmas research :shobon:)

Getting a korean monitor as a christmas present for a person who does photo editing is the worst idea I've heard today.

Not only is there an enormous risk of getting a faulty panel, but these monitors aren't the right thing to get for someone who cares about color. They have no adjustments and are not calibrated. Not to mention that a decent percent of the faulty ones exhibit color uniformity issues.

You're talking about a "gift" with a 25% chance of having to be sent back to Korea at a cost of $100+, and even if it isn't faulty it isn't good for color-sensitive work.

Just get him a damned U2410. They were on sale for $400 flat yesterday.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Potrod posted:

What the hell happened to the price of Dell 24" Ultrasharps? Last time I checked this thread about a year ago when I was looking for a monitor, I had just missed out on a sale of some Dell 24" Ultrasharp for $240 on their site. Later I saw it for $260, and rarely above $330. Now I see the cheapest one on their site is $370?

I think you are misremembering. The only 24" ultrasharp that sells for near to $240 is the u2412m and it has never been that cheap, ever. Perhaps you are thinking of the u2312m, or some non-ips monitor.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...aynote_irrank=0

U2711 for $650, if anyone's interested.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

So I am in the market for a 2nd monitor for my computer so I can finally stop using my laptop to watch movies and chat with people and poo poo while I am gaming.

Ideally I am only looking to spend < $150 and I would like something in the 24'+ range.

Currently I am using a 6 year old 21' acer that id move to my video / chat screen and the new screen would be the main 1.

I really only play games on my desktop. I pretty much now next to nothing about these kinds of things. Do I need to have a badass computer hardware in order to run 2 monitors? I just built a new rig a few months ago consisting of an i3, 8gb of ram, and a radeon 7700. Is this setup capable of me gaming on my main screen, then running some video on the 2nd? Do I need 2 video cards or something?

I have seen a 27' monitor that I really love, but its about 200$ and thats just a bit out of my price range, even though I am really tempted to get it.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also how are refurbished monitors? Ever since I was a kid my dad would say to never get any refurb computer parts.

The vast majority of video cards can output to two monitors at the same time. Gaming on one and playing video on the other will be slightly more taxing than just gaming, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Be aware that any 27" in your price range will have the same resolution as a 24" (1080p), and therefore the pixels will be bigger and at a normal viewing distance won't look as good as a 24". In any case your options are pretty limited at $150. They'll all be pretty much the same though, just pick one that doesn't have a lot of backlight complaints.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
If the desktops have on-chip graphics like ivy bridge and sandy bridge the easiest solution is to run one of the monitors on that. That's what I do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Guni posted:

I will only be gaming on one monitor, the other one will be relegated to things such as Facebook, emails, SA and the like. Does this change anything or will it still be terrible?

Two similarly sized monitors next to each other is fine. I did it that way for years.