Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

Mmm...Option A. If you're going to strike, strike decisively. A Maximilian with a wounded reputation can strike you again later. A Maximilian who is killed will remain killed.

Your goal should be to quickly and decisively resolve the situation, not to resolve it delicately.

Depends on what the situation actually is.

Am I the only one who suspects Romano was the one who switched the orders, not Maximilian? What better way to get Justin to give in and give her what she wants?

Since there's no F option (confirm independently that Maximilian was responsible before acting), I vote B on the grounds that it puts Justin in a stronger position and leaves him a possible ally against Romano in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So is physical combat effectively simultaneous with shooting? Or does the Cyclops not only have to survive incoming fire, but survive with all its parts intact to swing that club?

Bonus points if the Colonel knocks the Mugger's head into the bleachers while standing on one leg.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

No, the Physical Combat phase comes after shooting.

That said, she challenged him to physical combat. That means that he's probably not going to shoot if she doesn't.

She has the advantage in a slugging brawl, so it's in her best interests to stick to "Steiner Rules Dueling".

It's not Lt. Clover I'm worried about, it's Rossi. Maybe the Mauler pilot's trigger finger will slip or something. It's time for this Viper to roll some snake-eyes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

David Corbett posted:

It is not unusual to omit contractions in writing.

Is not it?

What happens to Clan cheerleaders who accidentally let slip a contraction, a Trial of Punctuation?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

evilmiera posted:

It's not even mostly about lost troops, though that counts as well. The materials he'd be able to bring in would be miniscule in comparison to the already somewhat small amounts they managed to bring in during the original timeline, unless Kerensky attacked almost every single functioning manufactory left in the IS.

Hey, that's no problem. Instead of finding the canon Clan worlds, Kerensky came across the ruins of an ancient civilization which, before it died, had built a number of mech designs and had advanced their technology to Clan levels. See, the events in Far Country actually involved time travel, and Tetatae colonized these worlds after developing mech technology, and... um...

Sorry about that. I blame the thread for exposing me to Far Country in the first place.

Besides, if that were true there'd be a Clan Tetatae with a totem mech particularly offensive to Battletech fans.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Right now, we've got two options. I can scrub the turn, and do it over--since it changes who the Clanners will target; or we can keep it, since I misjudged your position (it's the major downside to having to split a map into two parts, it's harder for me to make judgement calls like that).

Why not split the difference and say that the Flashman had only partial cover, not complete cover? Cancel the Left Leg hit but keep the rest of the results. Or make the easy re-target and say that the King Crab IIC fired at the Black Knight instead.

I hate to see players forced to choose between the benefits of good tactics and the benefits of a lucky shot...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The problem with hitting Earth first is that it requires near-perfect knowledge on the part of the Clans. How do they know that over time, the IS will grind the invasion to a halt? From their perspective, it's made up of virtually anarchist states as likely to stab at each other as repel an invader. And in comparison with the Clans, there's little discernible will to fight amongst the IS states, at least from their perspective. Why take a risk and gamble everything on one invasion when you think you can win over the long haul?

There's also a high risk of getting bogged down in Sol system. Short of a near instant take-out of the HPG network, Earth is well-situated to send out a distress call. If Terra's defenders are sufficiently tenacious and willing to destroy assets instead of losing them, and if Comstar either accurately assesses or overestimates the Clan threat, Sol could become a trap instead of a masterstroke.

As for those convinced that the Clans are likely doomed in PTN's timeline, I'd say that relies on assumptions that PTN has changed very little of the canon situation. What would happen if they possessed a few more worlds, a larger population, or some other advantage we're not yet aware of?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
An alternative to running both in tandem is to extend the situation on Luthien and present it as an option in the next vote (or exempt it from voting entirely, I guess). In other words, the original vote still "counts" because the Luthien scenario will change with the passing of time (likely to a desperate situation with both sides' backs against the metaphoric wall), but we'll end up seeing both situations resolved in-game.

If PoptartsNinja wants to be particularly clever, he can simply adjust the intro to the Luthien scenario to make it appear different from his original plans. We'd never know the difference and if he's already done a fair amount of prep work anticipating that option A would win, then he'd save some time and effort.

If there were a "both A and C" voting option E, I would definitely vote E myself.

And really, what's the long-term precedent here? At worst it creates the expectation that when Solaris wins the vote against the invasion of Terra, we might get an option E again...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So how does spotting work? Because it looks to me as if the Awesome is set up to take two LRM-20s and two LRM-10s in addition to the attacks from the lights... unless it's possible for one of the lights to spot indirect missile fire onto the back of some other mech. Can you only spot if the target is in front of you, and can you torso-twist to meet that condition?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Problems with premature detonation? CASE can help.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Is 0517 a safe hex for moving through that building, or would P1 not be able to barrel through it without basement risk?

I'm guessing it takes too much movement to then allow P1 to back into the building the following turn, so that might be too risky to try.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah I am sorry PTN but I cannot believe this counts as a kill.

There is a pilot hit on the Dragon which PTN didn't resolve... or didn't resolve in public.

He also encouraged flight in the fluff text. Why nobody thinks he's being devious by listing the Coordinator's status as "Unknown" to encourage the surviving Gargoyle to take another round of shots and guarantee failing the secondary victory condition, instead of being devious to encourage the surviving Gargoyle to take his own advice, baffles me. PTN plays straight with the players. If the victory condition has been achieved, it's been achieved.

Bravo to him for creating a sense of tension and uncertainty over what will happen the turn AFTER that bloodbath.

I also can't help but love that after THIS mission someone thinks PTN made things too easy. Coordinator was just a big drat hero all over the place. If he survived, this performance would earn him major respect from the Clans as well as his own people. And we're not even sure yet if he did survive. If he did, coming out to fight himself was stupid and handing the players the win, it was awesome.

Looking forward to the next turn.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

I mean, it's not like the product of a hyper-aggressive warrior society is going to react poorly upon seeing the leader of Skye is a dwarf. Right? :ohdear:

This is how Boatmurdered got started, isn't it?

Joining the A train.

RC2. RC3 would mean Marik thinking "Melissa" is coming on to him.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried to estimate the political ramifications (and fallout) of this vote (or, specifically, the combined elements of this vote) to second guess me.

A lot of the votes where I give two options have different outcomes depending on the combination of both votes.

If I had any background or past history with Battletech beyond this thread and the Crescent Hawk computer games, I'd give it a shot.

My general instincts suggest:
Strong Skye might reject a Clan overture; weak Skye can't afford to. Conversely, if the Clan attacks, Skye's strength matters to their ability to resist... but Marik might be more willing to provide assistance if "Melissa" treated him well.

The biggest issue with the A choice, if Skye does cut a deal with the Vipers, is that Marik might believe that was always part of the plan. Melissa not only played him and screwed him over on the rewards of the plan, but was already planning to betray the IS as well, presumably expecting to get whatever she's forced to leave behind back as Marik's territories are conquered.

I simply don't have enough grasp on the larger setting to predict how Comstar would respond. But then, Comstar so far in this story hasn't been accounting too well for itself and I'm not convinced their leadership is particularly strong. They seem apt to wait for too long before taking direct action, though that's partly because the goonvote kept passing on the Comstar scenario.

Ditto for the Clans. One triumphs; a second cuts a deal with an IS world. How are the others going to take that? (Betting the answer will vary wildly by individual clan.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cwDeici posted:

There's no changing votes unfortunately. Not that I mind (personally I'm fine with either winning, though I voted E).

Looks like E is ahead by 1 if the last count was correct. A is probably going to win, depending on how many lurkers are left and whether PTN is about to call it.

Then I shall vote A and make things exciting (though I'd be happy with any of them).

This thread has more suspense just during voting than most threads ever do. And that pales compared to the actual scenarios.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Apologies in advance to people have difficulty understanding the map.

Are we looking at a multilevel factory if E wins? What are the oddsmakers offering for bets on whether any mechs will be shoved over railings?

Also, is OSHA compliance lostech?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chance II posted:

I'm fine with either scenario winning, I just thought the Solaris match wasn't as interesting.

PTN could make a scenario where a lance of Urbanmechs are on anti-graffiti patrol interesting.

Or on a building repainting mission, for that matter. The guy can make watching paint dry suspenseful, is what I'm saying.

Despite having voted for A, I'm deeply intrigued at the thought of seeing Battletech played Roborally-style.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cafel posted:

I have to wonder if working with my nominal "teammate" is even worth it. I mean other then agreeing to focus fire more readily there isn't much advantage. Screw the possibility of them getting behind me, they could get close to me period and what would I do then?

Really I see this team mechanic affecting me more by locking out possible shots and maybe preventing me from taking a few blows.

Fields of fire issue. With so much potential cover, it's not that hard to hide from an single opponent. Teammates working together can ensure at least one of them has a valid shot.

If people are focusing fire on your mech in this scenario, you're standing in the wrong spot.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, since things are still a fair bit slower than I'd like, I'm working on a contest so people'll have something to do in the interim that's Battletech-related.

I also think I'm going to let the winner of the Solaris VII fight pick the winner.

Something else you might consider for slow points in the LP would be sharing a little more of the process you go through. I'm really curious how you design the maps (and with what tools). It was great to get a look at some of notes from the last scenario in-thread. Revisiting some of the early scenarios and getting a sense for the craft you put into them would be both fun and educational, if ypu can do that without giving away too much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
As far as side conversations go, I'd really like to hear speculation from some people more familiar with the setting about the NRWR and the role it may play. I get that the Clans might decide to shift objectives if they find out about it. But what are the odds that in this timeline, the NRWR has a huge cache of SLDF mechs or advanced tech of some kind?

Also, any thoughts about one or two of the other new nations that cropped up in the last political map? Are the Taurians going to join in the game, so to speak? Might the Tortuga pirates decide to shift to conquest in the hopes that the Draconis Suns can't spare forces to cover its periphery?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
B
DS7
CC6

Let's see what Amaris has in store for us, since he's going to be pretty significant to the developing story, especially as he and the Clans are on a collision course. Plus this unit sounds like they have something to prove.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

landcollector posted:

The problem I have with Amaris is that he marks himself as a :smug: rear end in a top hat with his speech. Don't get me wrong, the other notable characters are assholes as well, but they either portray affable fronts or are not so overt in their smugness.

So there can't possibly be any depth to his character because he's NOT acting like any of the others? I think you're massively underestimating PTN's subtlety in the face of ample evidence for it. He's painted very few characters who are exactly as they appear (or exactly as they were in the canonverse), and he's playing quite adeptly on our preconceptions of Amaris.

We'll find out a lot more a lot sooner if we start choosing battles in this storyline.

I'm betting when we better understand what's going on, we'll be able to see why Amaris is acting as he does and perceive it as potentally well-intentioned, although I predict most everyone is going to hate him even worse for how he goes about doing things..l

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

We've only been just barely exposed to Amaris, I don't think we've seen enough of him to evaluate how on-top of things he is or isn't. Even if he is, that doesn't mean he isn't being manipulated. Given Comstar's likely goals from the situation, they wouldn't need to manipulate Amaris much at all to make him act in their favor.

Why does it need to be one or the other? Why can't people in charge of Comstar think they're using Amaris, and vice versa?

If I were Comstar, I'd want Amaris to reveal himself now, both to deploy forces against the Clans and to ensure that they divert from heading to Earth to going after the NRWR. Try to engineer things so that the Clans go through the Lyrans to get to the NRWR and let others do the fighting.

We've seen a glimpse of what Amaris is up to. He figures to claim rulership of the IS and no doubt he figures his loyalists in Comstar will give him the edge. He also wants to position himself as the one who can stop the Clans. So the effect will actually be close to what Comstar would want.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Blake helps Amaris take over and then succeeds him after he suffers an "accident," although it's not clear if Blake's going to be that sort or not.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cafel posted:

Easier said then done. The Bobcat has ACE, so we basically have to cross our fingers and hope we have a decent shot at it. And the heavy is a god drat heavy.

Given that the heavy isn't an ACE, can't you leverage your speed to get rear attacks on it?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

This thread keeps going to strange, delicious places.

I blame elves.

Hey, why didn't you do that? Did they get to you?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
If you really want to be organized about it, appoint one alternate player for each scenario, someone next on the list and available (and in PTN's timezone plus or minus a few). If one of the other players drops out entirely, the alternate steps in and the next person on the list becomes alternate.

When PTN posts a turn, he also indicates the orders deadline. Once it passes, he IM's the alternate and gives the alternate a fast deadline (12 hours, perhaps? Depends on when PTN sends the message.) The alternate is included in planning sessions.

Being an alternate doesn't count as taking your turn, so it'd provide whoever volunteers with a little extra playtime.

Alternately, draw on past MVPs assuming willingness and availability.

If an alternate times-out, the mech does nothing that turn, or alpha strikes, or whatever the default action is. (PTN could declare a single default action in each scenario, ranging from freezing up to alpha strike to running away.)

The key here, I think, is ensuring that PTN can set a latest time at which he knows orders will come in. That allows him to extend deadlines (or perhaps shorten them) based upon his own schedule. If orders come in too early, PTN can execute the turn at his convenience.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ActionZero posted:

Speaking of it seems that whenever Goonlance fights for the FWL we get our mission saved by a completely freak dice roll taking out a dangerous mech instantly. This warrants further testing to see if it keeps happening.

I'd rather see Goonlance go up against the FWL and see if the freak dice roll works for PTN, too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Witzapu-

Whatzepi-

Hootsopu-

Gesundheit.

You said it!

Next step, George Ledoux reading PTN's discussion of mechs designed in the thread, over a slideshow of T.G. Xarbala's art. Just in case anyone's still unclear about the meaning of the word "magnificent."

Awesome isn't just a mech...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Brandy Collins posted:

How about we talk about suggestions for future turns rather than belaboring the previous turn? That would probably be more productive.

OK. Here's some thoughts to spur discussion (probably about how dumb these thoughts are):
Make some reasonable guesses about where those two big tanks are going to go and try to get some mechs into a position to take shots at their sides. Easier said than done in the current situation, of course. The Phoenix Hawk might be able to manage but only with lots of luck, and it's in bad shape already.

I think it's reached the point where the players natural inclination not to get their mechs shot up so badly that they're out for the next mission is hurting their ability to win quickly. If the clanners are going to focus fire, they can probably take out two mechs or more before the fight is done. But if they do, you can afford to give them good shots on all of your mechs in exchange for killing them faster.

Offer enough high-priority targets and the lower-priority targets will be safe.

I'd also consider offering the Thresher some back shots in order to get back shots on the Incubi. That forces the Thresher to choose between vulnerable rear armor on heavy mechs or shots at the Raven and Po 1. In effect, you can protect your lighter mechs by making your heavier mechs better targets. (OTOH, I have a feeling the Thresher is acting as a distraction to keep you from getting into position to deal with the Mars and Athena...)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Lava cannons.

Nothing else need be said.

Yeah, but do the lava cannons also deliver pyroclastic rocks filled with bees? Huh?

(And are the Clan versions of the lava cannon doing less damage because the lava only has half the heat?)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My job appears to be chasing down T5. His LRM-15 is malfunctioning so he's not a significant threat any more though - he's got just an ER Small Laser left - so alternatively I could run north and get to within 9 hexes at best of T1/H4.

T5 is also the biggest risk of successful withdrawal. Kill it before it can exit the battle.

H1 appears to be set up to threaten back shots in an attempt to cover the others. T1 is too slow to get away, so H4 is the other likely flight risk.

The big question is whether to try to offer one of the more intact mechs as a juicy target or take the risk that split fire manages to find all the open spots in your armor. The Charger can get in medium range but it's got a lot of exposed structure. There does seem to be a need to get in closer just in case H4 survives the round and makes a break for it.

I suspect next turn is the time to demonstrate how good massed MRM fire can be at long range... or how lousy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

And this is why. Players shouldn't be nervous about posting their ideas in the thread. Suggestions are ok, statistics are fine, criticizing them for not playing exactly the way you would've is not.

`Mechs were going to die this mission. `Mechs will almost certainly be dying in every mission of the campaign barring serious bad luck on my part.

And fear of criticism/failing Goonlance doesn't lead to better or more entertaining play. The thread's seen at least one big example of the opposite, as well as some shining examples of going out in a blaze of glory.

Personally, as someone who has never played the game and is learning by reading the thread, I'd prefer to see people solicit advice in-thread so long as it doesn't delay turns too much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the original rules for the Solaris round are the best example. Before PTN added objectives for different things all we had was a six-way "last man standing" and the smart way to do that is to stay it of the fighting and show up when everyone else is weak. When the rules changed Solaris got 1000x better.

Yeah, especially to the extent that it wasn't simply about winning the round but about not being the first to get a mech blasted out from under you.

Once PTN added objectives which included achievements for doing amazing, entertaining but dangerous and downright foolish things, the match was far more fun.

I'm not saying everyone should run out and DFA at the first opportunity, but I'd like to see a few more heroic or memorable deaths celebrated in the thread. Even an unlucky head-shot could immortalize you.

(Anyone up for doing a cartoon of the headshot Flashman with technicians looking up at it and saying something like "This never happened with the incandescent models...")

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TildeATH posted:

Operation Dwarf Fortress

Do the Clans have Elephant dropships?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, a few general tactical notes looking at the map (and keep in mind I don't know Battletech very well):
1. The Exterminator is in a good position to try to either work around to your flank/rear or to force you to put several mechs on that part of the map to go after it. In the latter case, there's enough open fire lanes that the big long range assaults will be able to take shots at you or force you to give the Exterminator an opening.

2. Both the Exterminator and J1 have jets, so they can jump up to get LOS on one turn and then jump down behind cover on another to cool off.

3. Try to make sure that if you're stepping out of cover to take shots, most of the others are also doing so. With fewer enemies mechs and inferior pilots, they're simply unlikely to shoot back at all of you, so you want to maximize the number of your mechs that can shoot once you're exposed to accurate fire.

4. I expect PTN to maneuver to keep you from all having shots on a single enemy at once. Try to move to force him to choose between spots where he can get good shots at your units and spots where he can avoid incoming fire from some of them. (The map will make that tricky but not impossible.) He has to try to manipulate your movement through good positioning; in theory, you can duplicate that with the extra advantage that you move last.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

landcollector posted:

Possible translations are in italics:

“Chalcas Bands!” Miranda growled in frustration, “Dutserv, vengecom or deahon!”
"Unacceptable (lit.) Bandits! It's my duty to either have vengeance or an honorable death!"

“Useless, Dutob. Engen? Aff, esc Charl-Yan-Charl-Lim-Five-Nine-Five. Chargen, screen. Dratar. Deahon? Neg.” Tython laughed with humorless cruelty, “That is beyond your abilities, Miranda. At least try to die with some dignity.”
"A useless observation of duty. So, you want to engage? Yes, escort CYCL-595. Charge, and act as a screen. Or a distraction target. An honorable death? No."

gently caress, Clan comlang is stupid. I hope I got it mostly right PTN. Also, this guy is an rear end.

A few alternate suggestions:

"Dutserv, vengecom or deahon!" = It's my duty to serve, either vengeance for my command or a death with honor!

"Dutob" = It's your duty to obey.
"Engen" = You want to engage the enemy?
"Chargen" = Charge the enemy
"Dratar" = Draw out the targets? Not sure about that one.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Katreus posted:

I just want Ho He to be awesome and for more Miranda and Ho He shenanigans. I dunno. Something about the odd couple situation in there tickles me. She is very good about not backseat driving though.

Given what the Banshee pulled, I am surprised the clanners have been basically ignoring it and shooting the rest of the mechs instead.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

You sell "rock on and peace out" better than Mookie ever could, added to the fanart page. I have to think of a way to use a parachuting Banshee in one of the next sets of missions somehow.

Perhaps it's time to see how they test prototype technology in the IS? Or is "throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks" LOStech?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, I'll get the assualt sized double cheese burger, a super-heavy fries and scout coke.

Clan cheeseburgers are much bigger, but you have to eat them hot off the grill as they cool off very quickly.

(Sorry, somebody had to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I haven't been anyone, save perhaps for one of the chief cheerleaders for Salaryman Korean Robert, Rosinski Ami, and the Brave Little Office Chair.

That is enough.

I really regret not submitting my Salaryman mech design for the contest that happened after that scenario. Though the rear-firing lasers designed to look like an office chair were probably a bit over the top.

This thread has given so much, I feel like I should be giving something back to it. Heck, sign me up to pilot. I'll try to get my mech destroyed in a crowd-pleasing fashion when the time comes.

Edit: I have PMs.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 7, 2013

• Locked thread