Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Well. Force sizes don't tell you everything.

We're attacking rear-guard clanners, in a surprise attack, in which they trickled onto the field for the first couple minutes while the entire merc force was present from the beginning. Also we're counting parked aerospace as kills. And there's a hurricane.

It's still a major victory if most of the mercs get out alive, but I wouldn't call it "stunning" and probably neither will the clan leadership, who stuck these mechwarriors on rearguard duty as punishment for being bad/old/green/whatever in the first place.

Furious? Yes, absolutely (but when aren't they furious). But nobody should be surprised the clans lost this engagement given the tremendous disadvantage they were fighting from.

I don't agree. Even though, yes, a good portion of the mechs we're fighting are a PGC, it's still a huge loss for what amounts to a minor lightning raid. The biggest weakness of the Clans (strategically) has always been that they're just not THAT large - most Clans are only going to be packing around 20 Clusters in their entire touman; the biggest we know if canonically is the Jags, who fielded about 60 spread out across both the Invasion Zone and the homeworlds. Worst case we're talking about the loss of half a Cluster to a small force that's taken nearly no losses doing it. Losing 2.5% of your galaxy-wide forces in exchange for basically nothing is painful.

quote:

e. Stunning is whatever's going to happen to their starship, since the players succeeded at their primary goal.

This, however, I entirely agree on. What happens to that McKenna is going to have massive impact, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the Hellstar's guns reach the southwestern edge of the extraction zone at 5 + target movement. And potentially up to 6 hostile mechs can spoiler into the extraction zone the turn after next, and unless the zone is filled up this turn the Grendel can make it to all but the hex farthest back and get everyone killed.

Might want to coordinate the exit closely.

This is key for us to remember, yeah. PTN is absolutely going to try to use those lights to block our escape route. They need to die/get blocked or we're going to end up with one in the tunnel.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Either the Salamander or the Atlas could leave, but it'd be one or the other since they'd both be pushing for the same hex.

Edit: the enemy that was focusing the Salamander is dead, though.

Yeah, and I'm in better shape than the Atlas (even if I've got a weak head). And, bluntly, less important. Dadlas must escape.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, to tally, here's our current escape vectors from the doc.

THIS TURN
Atlas
Stag

NEXT TURN
Salamander
Grasshopper + pilot
Flashman(?)
Champion

THIRD TURN
Screamer
Dragoon II(?)
Mad Dog(?)
Phoenix Hawk(?)

UNKNOWN
Lancelot
Komodo
Gunsmith
Ostscout

At minimum the Gunsmith really should bail this turn, and the PXH and Champion should strongly consider doing so as well.

vv Agreed, you can probably survive another turn. Dadlas needs out because of just general poor health, the Stag is basically worthless in further combat, the Gunsmith and PHawk both are on the verge of being legged and the Champion's got an open head. They're definite priorities. The rest of us can all probably take another round of pounding.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Unless I'm mistaken (and correct me if I am), he is a single hit to the head - from anything - away from crippling if not outright killing the leader of this mercenary outfit, in a mech described as a 'pilot killer'. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which fate (and PTN's dice) could be tempted harder then this.

The plus side is that he's able to guarantee a +4 or +5 to-hit move mod each turn - with the weather even Ath's best shots are going to be 9s and 10s*, and most of the stuff on the field will literally be incapable of hitting.

(* - as long as Loxbourne doesn't lose his mind and land in short range of a 2 gun Hellstar, which is basic common sense..)

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or, y'all could trust me to not be an rear end in a top hat.

It's not about you being an rear end in a top hat - it's that you are certainly going to make us pay (and rightly!) for making poor tactical choices. We screw up, I'd be disappointed if you didn't punish us for it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

El Spamo posted:

Yep, and nobody likes to screw up so there's a couple of salty tears. Only a couple. :)

Anyway, I'm submitting my orders later tonight but I'm going to toss them up here in case there are any last minute suggestions. Hopefully Axe-Man/Komodo is on hand to shoot the infantry should they fall off. I'm going to go with the drop and shake method, if I'm going to take 12 damage I'm going to do so on my terms, possibly dying in the process.

Suggestion - somebody with a good move should probably stay in position to leap in and rescue should this result in said death.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

That was one hell of a successful round for us being in full retreat.

I'm headed for 2734 unless anybody's got an objection - I can't feasably go any further back.

Suggest withdraw this turn: Flashman (weak CT), Salamander (weak head), Dragoon II (open XL torso), Lancelot (open XL torso).

That'll leave Grasshopper, Copperhead, Ostscout and Screamer for next turn. Might want to add the Ostscout or Screamer to this turn, since they can reach the 2732 hex that nobody else really can.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

pun pundit posted:

About filling those exit hexes... what are the chances the Grendel can survive the combined firepower of the remaining player mechs at close range (plus some melee)?

I'm alpha striking the little bastard as I exit, so there's that at least. I'm surprised it's still alive, considering how quickly bigger and tougher mechs have done down in an eyeblink this fight.

I don't think we need to worry too hard about it - the Grendel is one hit short of dead, and it's the only threat to us escaping (barring a bad luck hit at the last second). Let's not risk things by stumbling over each other and risking skidouts this turn - we're far more likely to die from rushing than we are by a nearly dead light mech.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I still want to have shots on anything making a run for the exit zones. If someone goes down next turn, I'll have to go and pull them out, and that means potentially keeping the exits clear for another turn.

Minimal risk of that - if we're flooding the exit zone as much as people are talking, we're only going to have you and 1-2 others not in there. And if someone goes down in the extraction zone, someone who's already in there can move to rescue just as easily. Keep yourself alive. I say head north to the gully - 3224 will get you 10 hexes from the exit zone, keep you far out of distance of any counter-fire and have a guaranteed safe extract next turn. Trees and buildings can be hiding infantry.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

They really aren't but most of the benefits are a tad esoteric. You can slap a heavy gauss on them and not give a poo poo about the piloting roll for firing it on the move and in place of arm firing arcs they can sidestep. The main issue is that they lose a dozen crit spaces by having legs instead of arms. And they can't torso twist.

They also have twice as many leg actuators to screw up their movement rates.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Salamander orders going in - reversing to 2734 and alpha striking that drat Grendel. Secondary target is the Crimson Hawk, tertiary is the Hellstar because gently caress you, Ath.

Time to bail.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

E: We got this. :banjo:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Goddamn, this was a tight extraction. Totally the right call to bail now. Another turn and we'd probably lose most of a lance's worth of mechs.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

It would be amazing if Ath just died from a rage-induced aneurysm after being denied gudfites yet again.

That or a piece of boomdog shrapnel lodging itself in his cockpit.

Nah, not yet. He's not nearly angry enough yet - we can surely infuriate him further in later missions.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

anakha posted:

Player MVPs:
- the Stag, for open defiance of the dice gods
- the Komodo, for busting open the infantry deathtrap at the extraction zone

OpFor MVP:
- the Aero for exceptional insanity bravery by taking off and engaging Goonsquad in a hurricane

I'll echo this, in particular that Clan ASF pilot. That took an amazing amount of balls, even for a Clanner.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Meanwhile 6/9 boomdoggies have had plenty of time to find hangars full of aircraft to go explode inside.

Good Doggies.

Best Doggies.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, THAT was one hell of a way to handle things. And for Amaris, cost-effective. They probably just used $300-$400 million to destroy $21.4 billion. Good exchange, but that took a lot of guts.

Also 1A, hell yes, gotta kick the Clans while they're down. Offer to take on a cluster's worth of Mechs, and demand territory on their homeworld. Let's see if they're stupid enough to take that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Thought: Could we troll them further by trying to ToP for Khan? Issue the challenge directly from, say, Noretti to try and take the Ravens for us? It would be a challenge from Clanner to Clanner, the rest of the Demon Hawks would just be there to fill out the rest of the challenge.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I think we all at least agree that the correct wording of the response is 'whatever will piss off the Clanners the most'.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zurai posted:

Space is very, very, very, very, very, very, very big (even just the space around Jump Points), and ships are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small in comparison. There also isn't that much space traffic in the BattleTech universe relative to the number of populated systems.

This is key to remember. The degree of precision required to 'hit' the target of a stationary or predictably-moving warship is insane versus even normal jump calculations. Amaris likely had to have this plotted out weeks in advance and just hope for a ship to commit to the proper course to have a chance at it.

Plus there's plenty of inaccuracy with misjumps, shifts in the gravity well and all kinds of other technobabble fuckery. There's also no evidence that this can ACTUALLY be repeated - it would be a very Amaris-like gambit to show it off to the Hawks, tell them it's his ultimate weapon and then let intel take it's course to spread. It could have easily been a wild gambit and a lucky shot. It would be very much in the NRWR's favor to intimidate not just the Clans but the rest of the IS into thinking there's a Warship-vaporizing weapon around.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 2, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RA Rx posted:

So, how big a fusion bomb do you need to do serious damage to a terrestrial planet? Target should be a lot easier to hit, even if you aim for the upper crust.

Absolutely absurd, and far beyond what this universe is capable of. That McKenna clocks in at 1.9 million tons - even if all that mass was bomb-mass we'd still only be looking at around 9 million megatons of explosive force. That's several orders of magnitude less than what you'd need to damage a planet.

It'd utterly gently caress the human-built structures in the blast radius and probably cause an unimaginable ecological disaster, but damaging an actual planet is really, really difficult.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

1C and 2A

The swampy delta sounds pretty interesting and a very different situation. Could be a fun challenge!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Minor wet blanket - if this is what our side is getting, consider that the opposition is likely going to be strong enough to make this an at least equal fight. Then think about what kind of bullshit the Clans are likely to pull out.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

Isnt Elysium an actual planet in Battletech?

Actually, no, not as near as I can tell. There's a location or two named it (it's mentioned in MW4), but no worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would protect you from the big ones, sure, but any pattern that would stop a Union from landing wouldn't stop a Leopard. They're not much bigger than a single hex and you can fit a lance of `Mechs in one without trouble. The infantry / battle-armor carrier version is even smaller.

But the Leopard is an aerodyne dropship, not a spheroid one - while it's got good (short) landing characteristics, it isn't capable of a truly vertical landing path.

• Locked thread