Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Back Hack posted:

Someone in the google doc mentioned I can torso twist with the Nova. I really got to ask, how? :psyduck:

The answer, as always, is 'space magic'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hidden unit detected :supaburn:

So, Goons were actually right about Widowmaker 'mechs bursting from the snowbanks?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TildeATH posted:

It's still okay to pile on Zaodai, though.

Can Newbies play 'pile-on-Zaodai' too?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Centurium posted:

. . . So if you need rest, please take it with sincere thanks from me and, I'm sure, a lot of other people here.

Hear, Hear!

I've been lurking this thread for years, mostly from work. In fact, I subscribed to these forums specifically for this game!

For all the years of free entertainment you've given me (us), thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hope you're doing okay; if you need anything, please let us know. Perhaps there is something we can do; the combined power and goodwill of us forum dwellers should not be underestimated. (smile)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Since you already have a Warhammer, I'd say, get a Riflemen.

As for Order Format Preference, I'd guess, the one without the nested loops?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ryzic posted:

Wouldn't have this problems if PTN just posted his API. :v:

No kidding right? (smile)

I imagine PTN as this ancient bank of Tape Drive Computers sitting in a forgotten basement of UC Berkley, and twice a week a 30-something grad student in a ratty, unwashed D&D shirt comes to feed forum-orders-punch-cards into his hungry maw.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
PTN's update crashed the Forums!!! (smile)

So, now what? Begin withdrawing, or turn this into a Trial of Annihilation?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . I'm actually not sold on doing the Wolfs' Dragoons blue and gold, but most of the canonical Mercenary units are either really boring black + one other color schemes, or a bright blue with one other color . . .

What about the Highlanders then? While they don't have a uniform scheme, there's nothing stopping you from painting a 'mech all tartan either?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

You know who you could paint up if you wanted visually and lore-interesting mechs? Wrasslin Randy and his pirate wrestlemech friends!

That's . . . actually not a bad idea.

They're wrasslin' pirates, so, anything goes; bold colors, neon highlights, asymmetrical designs.

Heck, paint an Ultimate Warrior mask on, it'll look neat!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Preechr posted:

Waco Rangers, let's see if they're less crazy in a setting with no Dragoons.

Eh, Colonel Waco's brat would have been 'off'ed' by someone, somewhere, eventually, with similar results I'd imagine.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

I hope we get a choice in the next theater vote to FREE RASSALHAUGE. (or die a glorious Space Viking death trying).

Actually, minus the 'Mad Max' interlude, we've been fighting Clans for quite some time.

Can we see some choices for pure 'Spheroid vs. Spheroid' action?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

. . . That said, there's very little that is truly sphere vs sphere anymore as all the houses have their tech bonuses courtesy of the timeline changes. (I'm down for any interesting fight.)

Fair enough.

Actually, can we check in on Skye? Besides me being a Steiner-man, wasn't there a civil war brewing between Skye and the rest of the Commonwealth?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Tran posted:

Edit: Oh, right. They're calling themselves the new Star League now.

Riiiiight . . . so, time for the Skye-Com-Serpent Civil War? (smile)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
First, awesome update PTN!

Second, I get to go ‘Steiner-man’ and mess with Justin Xiang, all in one vote!?! Its Christmas in February folks!

A1, 4

Third, annihilating the Goliath Scorpions at the cost of ending the invasion for the entirety of the Clans feels like something wacky Auntie Nastasha would do; which is to say, completely overreact and choose irrational action which would cost everybody dearly just so she can maintain her own worldview.

B3

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

They're explicitly targeting Uncle Stevie. :ohdear:

What's with the 'love' for Uncle Stevie anyways?

I get that the thread is somewhat enamored by our time as the Demon Hawks, and Uncle 'the enabler' Stevie gave us a bunch of cool toys with which to blow stuff up.

The story was interesting; 'Ah ha, I've been preparing for this fight for 300 years, and everything in my arsenal has been fine tuned to defeat you, now behold the power of this fully operational Battlestation!!!'

Still, I don't feel particularly drawn or attached to him, over any of the other plots or characters in this thread?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

Then again, I'm the guy who didn't buy into the overwhelming love for Macho Commacho's Commandos or whoever they were. Different characters appeal to different people.

Agreed, I wasn't much for Camacho's Caballeros either.

So, let's just say that the Lyrans and their money grubbing ways are best! (smile)

S-Bill is Best-Bill!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bloody Pom posted:

. . . Widowmakers putting a hold on the invasion to go whack the Goliath Scorpions would likely piss off the other Crusader clans . . .

My thinking on this is that a decision to halt the invasion for more ilKhan pettiness will further facture, if not completely break, Clan society.

You already have some Clans 'going native'; halting the momentum and purpose for their return, to expend more resources which they don't have, will likely (in my reasoning) force them to integrate further into Spheroid life. The spanking Uncle Stevie gave them is just more salt in the 'do we have it all wrong' wound.

Zaodai posted:

Goliath Scorpions . . . they're some of the more practical Clanners, and people are voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob call every other Clan in to wipe them out.

Exactly, a rational Clan is in fact near unstoppable if given a chance to 'run with it'.

Zaodai posted:

My gripes are mostly in-character as our traditional Thread Villain.

See, we all knew it was an 'act' all along (smile)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Fist posted:

:shobon: I'm sorta attached to the Demon Hawks and wouldn't want the players to fight them.

To play Devil's Advocate though, I'd like to see the players take on the Demon Hawks, just to see how much of the OP is in fact 'player advantage'

Actually, since we're talking about the Shadow Division; in this timeline, are these units 'Ascended'? Or just merely organic fanatics?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd pick Eldar Aeldari. :shobon:

Aeldari, please.

No, seriously; Aeldari? Please!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
A: Plan Katrina

It's time to take back My Home Planet! And its going to be be glorious.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Soup Inspector posted:

. . . I'd be kicking myself if I missed out on the opportunity to vote for something.

Definitely get your vote in; its been discussed before, while your vote may not be the 'decider', the level of interest in particular missions (as gauged by forum interest) affects the outcome and future appearances of related tracks (i.e., what happens afterwards).

So, vote.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Because, we're fighting in an open pit mine?

I'm interpreting this as a bucket wheel excavator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-wheel_excavator

And, we're excited about this because?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

You have big set pieces. That means you have big maps!

RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR!

Calling it now, the mission will be decided by grand-melee at the bottom of the open pit mine, with the finale being a one-on-one 'Steiner Boxing Rules' match between Caesar and Freddy.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . here's the usual heightmap preview!

. . . a desert planet . . .

Zaodai posted:

Also, awww no Frederick Steiner. I thought he was leading from the front!

I thought so as well!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dolash posted:

. . . do they still try to do batchalls and stand around in the open then get completely swamped? The second-line defensive guys are usually old-timers and dropouts less into the whole honorable warrior thing, right?

If they follow the old ways, maybe?

However, between their integration with Skye, forming the new 'SDLF / Star League', and whatever else mutations the 'serpent alliance' has allowed themselves, who knows?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Something doesn't quite smell right here.

If this communication node does indeed hold the 'golden ticket' for the entire invasion, why just send 2 lances? In fact, why send 'mechs at all?

Primaries are to secure the comm data and extract the VIPs; wouldn't both objectives be better served by a more 'covert' approach, as opposed to guns blazin' by army regulars?

And having a 'Company Adviser' in SLDF gear as liaison, with all combatants being expendable assets? Yikes.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You guys realize only the Clans are going to do the one target thing. You can fight whoever and concentrate fire like normal.

Maybe these players want to get into The Remembrance?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Did we establish if these Cloud Cobras would hold to Zell even if fighting Dezgra, or do they drop Zell in that situation?

I know it was posted that they will hold strict to their interpretation of Zell; I don't have my source books handy to check, and even if I did, I don't know if the Cloud Cobras views have changed in this universe.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes, it's the kind that the Clans used when they VERY VERY first invaded.

You sure about that?

As someone posted above:

thetruegentleman posted:

Cloud Cobra was listed as Opportunistic in the regular universe, which means that "the warriors follow zellbrigen unless mitigating circumstances dictate otherwise (they are outnumbered/outgunned, they think they can get away with it, and so on)."

And from my recollection, the Cloud Cobras are 'Liberal' in their adherence to Zell, so if we break Zell first, maybe they'll do the same?

They're not The Jade Turkeys after all.

That being said, nothing about how we would engage them changes.

Emerge from surprise just as they pass, isolate and focus fire on their rears, call them names on the comms.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Understanding the Clan Mindset 101

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate the insights.

So, how does Dezgra fit in? My understanding is, if an opponent is Dezgra, either through reputation or action, then Clan Warriors don't have to follow Zell.

As in, they don't deserve to die by honorable combat, so its 'weapons-free' on everyone.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Night10194 posted:

Wait, who is Ulric Kerensky?

Prepare for some reading:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ulric_Kerensky

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Rorahusky posted:

Pity the Nova Cats get wiped out during the Dark Age for backing the wrong side of a power struggle in the Draconis Combine. Dark Age makes everything worse.

Yeah, I never quite understood why they dipped twice into that 'HPG Failure' plot device.

Yes, I get it, WoB pirated the signal, while Dark Age was more 'silence in the heavens'.

Still, the end result remained largely the same. First time I read the setting for Dark Age, I just groaned inwardly for 5 minutes, muttering 'not this shtick again'.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LegendairyBovine posted:

Someone needs to get Defiance Industries on the phone and find out if that warranty is still good.

. . . the C-Bill cost on that HPG call though . . . . unless we paid for the extended warranty.

Except who pays for the extended warranty?!?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
So, focus fire seems to be working?

Time to settle in for a good ole' slugging match then.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't say I'd mind having a few more days to get over this stomach flu.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, get better soon.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Next mission vote will probably have a few Alpha Strike missions woven in. They will be clearly marked.

What does that mean? Are they 'mini-missions'?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alpha Strike is a faster-playing, better-balanced game. There's nothing really 'mini' about it.

Ahhh, gotcha. Glad we're moving over to that system then, anything which helps to lighten your workload per update.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Welp, I'm not using all of those but that is certainly five center torso hits in six rolls of the dice.

Porque no?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
My. Goodness.

I wish there was actual BattleRom footage for this fight.

/Duncan Fisher

"And the field is lit up like Archon's Day!!!"

Ya'll mark my words, those Clan Aces are going to be a problem; we won't be able to put them down nearly as easily.

Makes for a much more interesting fight though; this ones gonna be tight.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

My grandmother passed away and I'm not going to be in any mood to write.

Deepest sympathies.

Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

W.T. Fits posted:

It's a shame the players have no way of destroying the terrain features.

Unless... is there some way they could potentially set the water on fire?

IIRC, the closest thing in the rule-set (one of them Strategic Operations / Tactical something or other books) is to FASCAM mine the water hexes?

I genuinely don't recall anything like napalm.

• Locked thread