Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Spermgod posted:

post the davest quotes you got

Meltzer in the 90s ‏@ObserverQuotes 5m5 minutes ago
Shane Douglas claimed he tore his groin in an intense workout with Francine which was meant as a joke (you know, really rough sex). [2/97]

I'm not in a place to look up the exact quote, but Dave describing a pearl necklace while recapping a ZZ Top segment on Raw was sure something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

jesus christ

Alton Brown seems to be enjoying himself in the front.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Fat Lowtax posted:

How real was the talk of Lana becoming the "female face of the company" or whatever? It just seems like a weird thing to say about a total non-wrestler in a one note gimmick, even if she was doing very well.

IIRC Meltzer was talking it up a fair amount around WM time, possibly sooner.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

How extensive is the Observer Newsletter Archive? Could I find Newsletters from 1982 or earlier on there?

Goes back to about mid-1991, and has uploaded up to the tail end of '98 from there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

We're getting pretty close to the '99 WONs being uploaded to the site.

I am so god drat giddy to read those Nitro recaps.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Arbite posted:

Are there any Observer travelogues about Japan?

There are some from the '92 issues on the site, and also some tidbits in Misawa's obit and Kobashi's retirement issue. He talks a lot about the Toyota/Yamada hair match which I'm pretty sure is his favorite match he saw in person.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The guy on Wade's twitter timeline who compared "this is awesome" to chanting "this is funny" at a standup comic nailed it on the head.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

This is their magnum opus, although it's less rage and more dumbfounded hilarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opM6eyjIYH0

Skip to 1:45 if you have headphones or general taste.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bryan's best written freakout is this:

quote:

Mr. Anderson vs. The Not So Great Muta. Anderson was dressed as 1989 Sting and Muta was played by Eric Young. Trying to comprehend any of this is beyond my capacities. I don't even get it in storyline. This tribute is supposed to make Sting mad? It's supposed to make him so mad he wants to beat up Anderson on PPV? Anderson and Young proceeded to have a comedy match. Anderson missed some splashes in the corner and went "WHOO!" It appears Eric thought this was bullshit and was going to leave. Let me repeat that. ERIC YOUNG THOUGHT THIS WAS BULLSHIT. THE GUY WHO WEARS TWO loving FAKE BELTS AROUND ALL THE TIME THOUGHT THIS WAS TOO ABSURD TO BE A PART OF. I -- get ready -- HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THIS loving SHOW~!~!!~!!~!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets better. Anderson slapped him and a "real match" started. Tenay was telling us that we shouldn't underestimate Eric Young's ability. WE SHOULDN'T UNDERESTIMATE ERIC YOUNG'S ABILITY? After all these loving years of bullshit, NOW we're supposed to take him seriously. AND THEN ERIC loving YOUNG WON. He hit the moonsault, then Gunner ran out for distraction. He only distracted the ref, though. Anderson wasn't distracted. Young then blew green mist in his eyes and pinned him with a small package. HE PINNED MR. ANDERSON. I wouldn't give two fucks about this if it was a bullshit mid-card angle on this show, BUT MR. ANDERSON IS CHALLENGING STING FOR THE TITLE ON THE NEXT SHOW. Gunner and Anderson beat up Eric afterwards until Sting made the save. This was the most mind-boggling booking in many, many years, even by Impact standards. Sweet loving gently caress.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

He does now, but that was Bryan (from 2011).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Speaking of which, are there any good archived interviews where Dave takes down a known bullshitter (on the level of a Bischoff, Russo, etc) to their faces?

Dave on the infamous Donahue episode during the steroid trials is pretty fun. And while it's not to his face, his interview with Ole Anderson is great too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Tr33 posted:

Really Greg Proops? I never really listned to his podcast but he never struck me as the old man yells a cloud type.

Greg is a huge feminist liberal, so his rants are basically the anti-Cornette. Him telling stories about Negro League baseball and going to Prince concerts are way more fun, though.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 21, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, his political stuff can get a bit tiresome even if you agree with him (and it usually is rooted in fact and decency rather than just nonsensical ranting), but him talking about music or baseball or whatever is superb stuff.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Cory Lidle posted:

On the other hand, he wants to work for WWE and sucking up and being "positive company guy" might eventually pay off for him.

Worth it if he gets his old buddy Scorch into WWE as well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Muddy Burphy posted:

Bryan has known him since the 90's for reasons I can't remember.

IIRC Bryan met him at a house show in Seattle. It *may* have been the same show where Brent brought a squeegee for the purposes of taunting Sid.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, semp rules just for his comments to Ryan

This moment made me so god drat happy when I was listening to the 2015 comp during my Xmas drive home.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

epitasis posted:

ryan is obviously a moron but sempervive didnt actually even answer the question

Ryan never asked a question.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bobo as the fugitive was a million times funnier than anything involving Brent.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Cory Lidle posted:

I'll just have a tossed salad, thank you.

TIME FOR PUSSY DIVING

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Nonsense. Here he is putting over some young up and coming talent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKJWvG9GuQ

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

the gently caress, Dave?

Jesus tells them to name a dirtsheet.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

oatgan posted:

"Ken Anderson was doing voice over work for a top secret squirrel video game" is the best note in observer history

"eat Ole and Arn Anderson"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

I actually suggested bringing up Nia Jaxx and aligning her with Roman just to squash Stephanie to get her off TV.

You seem to have misspelled Asuka there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Mazer posted:

Vampiro was on Art of Wrestling this week. Is there a general consensus as to how full of poo poo he is? His stories sound great but border on Hogan levels of BS.

If his old appearances on WOL and Jericho's first book are anything to go by, he's overflowing.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Spermgod posted:

mighty bombJACK

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!?!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the awesome Arn/Regal TV title match from Superbrawl '94 that Dave rated 1/2*

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Maybe Charlotte is just the new Edge, in terms of sloppy rear end wrestlers that Dave inexplicably loves.

She has a ways to go to catch up to Makabe's "next level psychology" air punching.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The story about Doc's mom wiping her face with his poo poo covered washcloth is still a go-to for me when I'm having a bad day.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

LordPants posted:

Especially when the question that prompted it was something like "are Moolah and Lita the best workers in women's wrestling history?"

You can safely assume that anyone who talks up how great Moolah was has never ever seen her wrestle.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't listened to B&V in a few months, so I decided to listen to the newest episode on my drive home from work.

After listening to Bryan do nothing but whine about Granny's audio quality for the first 5 minutes, I resumed not listening to the B&V show.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I don't watch much LU but Dave's twitter has taught me that their fans are all twats.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd pay for commercials like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9L6MRL74Vo

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

When SUWA left Dragon Gate, he was sick of how goofy things got and how there were a bunch of guys who danced in their entrance. So he went on a rant and called Dragon Gate social dance wrestling and that was a phrase that was used a lot to dismiss Dragon Gate style.

tbh I'd rather watch SUWA than drat near everyone in DG

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

so Broken Matt is pretty much a lock for Best Gimmick winner in the WON awards, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/901655691739381760

Just posting this because I feel the novelty of Big Dave being attacked by Demi Lovato fans should not be overlooked.

• Locked thread