Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Literally gonna listen right now because I love the veiled disdain JR has for Bryan. Not that I dislike Bryan, but it's just funny to me how whenever Jim's on Observer Radio, him and Dave will chat amiably, and then Bryan will ask something and JR will talk to him like a particularly stupid 5 year old.

I don't entirely dislike Bryan either, but It's kinda hard to blame JR for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

As expected, Cornette hates Lucha Underground and rants about it on his show this week. The guy just hates fun, I think.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tr33 posted:

Has he actually seen the show? I mean it's weird to get upset about it cuz as far the universe it exists in, it's about the only promotion where the competition is treated as real by everyone involved even if it is a bit cartoony.

Yeah, his new cohost sent him some clips, which he got extremely pissed off about because it's not treating wrestling like a legitimate sport.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

You'd think Jim Cornette would love LU given all the whitewashing they do.

Jim makes no sense sometimes. He hates ridiculous comedy wrestling, but was introduced to wrestling by the goofy-as-gently caress Memphis product and loved Plowboy Frazier, who was a comedy wrestler and also terrible.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

1st AD posted:

It helps that guys don't get buried because the boss got mad that they got over despite their best efforts.

And that UFC's television presence is more than a projection of the owner's myriad insecurities.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The best Talkin' Shop episodes are the one where they interview Hacksaw Jim Duggan (because of the Nasty Boys stories they coax out of him), and the one where Doc talks about sharting on a washrag in the shower when he was a little kid.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Meanwhile, on MLW, Disco Inferno has a guest spot on Konnan and Court's show to explain how wrestlers should get over and become stars. After his phone mercifully cuts out, Konnan and Court have a surprisingly not-sexist talk about Ronda Rousey's appearance on Ellen.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

When the weed finally kicks in, Konnan is surprisingly progressive.

Alice Radley may disagree with you there, but Konnan was much better about Ronda than a lot of others have been. His observations about how really competitive people deal with fame and setbacks are pretty interesting when he's lucid enough to go into depth about them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Luigi Thirty posted:

What does Bret Michaels have to do with Wrestlemania?

He was cool in the 1980s and now he's old and lame to the point of embarrassment.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aesop Poprock posted:

Baron Corbin won the battle royal although I don't know if you're counting nxt guys as wwe guys or not

He's tall and has a full head of hair so odds are good that they're going to try and make him one at some point.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also 4 1/2 stars for Zayn-Nakamura is right around the perfect score and a lot of that was the setting and crowd imo. I've watched it about 5 times now and it's great but without the atmosphere it wouldn't hold up nearly as well

4.5 stars is insanely good for a match with no feud building it up, too. I liked it a bit more than Meltzer did but I get his reasoning.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sanguinia posted:

...you know, for being so bitter about his rich neighbors looking down on him for his lowly origins and carny business, Vince is remarkably dense about the fact that he does poo poo to deserve being looked down on.

Vince basically thinks he's Cecil B. DeMille and runs WWE like a movie studio in the 1930s, so of course he doesn't understand that the rest of the world has moved on and won't put up with the poo poo that goes on in wrestling. I think a lot of WWE's current creative issues come from Vince using his company to fence himself off from reality.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Vince is actually John Ford because John Ford was way cooler.

I only said Cecil because I'm pretty sure Vince would fire live ammunition at the people he's exploiting if an angle demanded it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Plus Vince would never make a cowboy movie. Too Southern.

Vince spammed the company with hillbilly gimmicks until the late 1990s and made JBL the world champion even though he sucked, so perhaps he might.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

They're both cool but Lucha Underground is way better at being a completely insane farce than WSX, probably because WSX used a lot of scrub-tier California indy guys (and X-Pac) and each show was only 30 minutes, meaning each match was clipped to about a minute long, if that.

I do miss Human Tornado, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like watching Lucha Underground

I do too, and I liked WSX. I still watch the DVDs today, in fact. LU is a way better show in pretty much every respect, though, which is why it sucks that AAA is using it as leverage over their employees.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Magic posted:

It seemed like HHH wanted a match sort of like Punk/Cena in Chicago at MITB, where the crowd would come in obviously crazy anti-Cena but, due to great wrestling, would slowly be won over to his side a little bit.

The problem is that Cena and Punk are/were world class wrestlers who can be explosive and sympathetic enough to make that happen. HHH is too methodical for that sort of match and works as a better opponent than a competitor, if that makes any sense, and Reigns just plain isn't good/seasoned enough to make that work (though I think he's pretty capable as a wrestler overall).

HHH also isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is, especially at this stage of his career, and he hasn't been able to carry lesser/more limited workers in over 10 years.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

HHH at his peak was a world class wrestler and is still very good, however the HHH formula for an epic main event just never works.

HHH's formula might have worked if the crowd didn't hate Reigns and hadn't already been trained to not invest themselves into anything involving HHH because he just no-sells it on TV anyway. His match against Daniel Bryan and the 6-mans he was in against the Shield were great, and yet he refuses to learn anything from his numerous main event stinkers where he calls slow, boring matches that kill the crowd.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jericho's recent Flair interview is great, too. They managed to dig into subjects that Flair hasn't talked about a million times, like working in Japan and being world champion during the transition from shooter/tough guy champions to entertainers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skjorte posted:

Flair talking about Japan was really interesting. I thought a guy like Tsuruta was universally respected, but he just thought he was mediocre (and pretty dangerous) whereas he loved Tenryu.

I get the feeling that Jumbo was respected by fans and some promoters, but the guys who had to work with him varied a little more.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Super Ninja Fish posted:

He did listen to crowd, push the people the crowd liked, and give everyone during his time in the WWF something to do. You have to give him that. There's video of him in the crowd listening to everyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ax-eiYcJ60 I wonder if he wasn't a writer if Mick Foley ever would have held the world title. I kind of doubt it.

Yeah but then there's everything he's done in wrestling since then.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gorn Myson posted:

I was waiting for it to happen and was so happy when it did. If that episode was an unintentional send off then I'm very happy with that.

Would quite like Gallows to become Corporate Taker though, if that locker room story is even remotely correct.

Gallows' Honky Tonk Man story is legit one of the funniest things I've heard in weeks. God bless that weird redneck hill giant.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So is Gallows becoming a locker room enforcer, then?

Also are both these stories on the Jericho show? Because I kinda don't want to give money to MLW as long as they employ that tool MSL

It's more that Gallows is fun and tells hilarious stories and the locker room loves that because working for WWE loving sucks in a lot of other ways. I don't think Gallows is making dudes clean the locker room if they sit in the wrong chair or anything.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Legit thought that was Raven for a second there.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tr33 posted:

everything is a work bro.

What I want to know is who is this mystery segment of the population that hated DDP during his babyface run in WCW?

I was one of them; I hated his campy promos and thought he looked like a dork.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I didn't think Talkin' Shop could get more disorganized, but Jericho is even more determined to derail the show's momentum than Gallows. Strowman is pretty funny when they actually let him talk, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Jim Duggan interview is really solid as well - I could listen to him dish on the Nasty Boys all day. Whichever episode has them talking about Finn Balor, aka Slays-Pussy-Like-It's-His-Job Hoot, is great too.

Lone Goat posted:

Only Jericho could think that Gordie character is any good

I don't dislike Gordy Canuck, but Jericho's trying WAY too hard and it's a little grating. As frustrating as Gallows is sometimes, at least he's naturally a boisterous goof and not the cool uncle Jericho trying to fit in.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know it's a work but that promo Cyrus cut on Disco was fired up!

As if I didn't hate both guys enough as it was. Their fake podcast feud is the dumbest thing ever, and why they thought it would be a good idea to cut into funny/crazy wrestling storytime with that poo poo is beyond me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Welp, Raven has a new podcast and his cohost is Johnny Swinger, who is a Trump supporter.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

The only real world politics talk I like in my wrestling podcasts is Meltzer discussing the finer points of Russian politics and his scoops on Putin.

Yeah, I'd prefer just not hearing wrestlers talk politics at all, even the ones I agree with. Raven had the grace to shut down the politics talk relatively quickly, at least.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

algebra testes posted:

I did not like his show.

I will listen to it.

Nevermore.

Raven is an engaging, funny guy, but way too ADD to host a podcast by himself, and Johnny Swinger is a terrible cohost.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Spermgod posted:

yeah maybe, their whole thing is using "it's a work" to insulate themselves from any and all criticism so it's hard to tell, for me at least.

All pro wrestlers do this but yeah, the more I learn about the Young Bucks the less I'm inclined to like them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

Matt just bought a new house in cali so Florida is deff not in the books.

The Bucks are also smart and aware enough to assume that they would be booked horribly in an attempt to humble them because WWE creative is petty as hell. I can totally understand why they wouldn't be keen on signing up for such a toxic work environment.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

I share one with Dixie Carter, stop complaining

I share mine with Jerry Jarrett, which is actually fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

algebra testes posted:

Wasn't it pretty much 2 people who didn't want to die trying not to bump for the road warriors, then Jim Cornette loving up his knees?

edit: And maybe one of the road warriors being scared of heights? I wonder if that's real or just how I remember it.

Yeah, pretty much. Also, Cornette is the one who's terrified of heights, but Dusty talked him into climbing up there and taking the bump. Scaffold matches are generally terrible anyway because there's no room to do anything without possibly falling to your death.

• Locked thread