Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hell yeah roller hockey tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Speaking of rosters from a few days ago, hows this for poo poo, on top of a 16 player roster. One of the main reasons I quit this team.

46 players on the Stat list for the team this season.

D C fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2018

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What app is that?

We use Hockey Clubhouse, which works, but setting up a season's schedule takes multiple hours due to their poo poo web UI.

BenchApp, it's annoying but the guy who runs the team has a relationship with one of the devs, now all 3 of the teams I play on use it.

The team manager leaves all those names on the list, and every game if theres an open roster spot it mass emails everyone and it's first come first serve to fill the spare spots.

It takes away too much ice time from the better players, I love 9-10 skater games.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

We're stuck with the ASHL website and it's the worst loving thing.

I mean, we all bitch about league commissioners and their management of teams and game schedules. Now imagine one of them actually had some skill with php and javascript and actually generated a website with some actual payment handling and roster organization.

I think Rosterbot was my favorite of the 3 or so my teams have used over the last few years. Super simple, easily imported to the apple calendar and stuff.

BenchApp tries to do way too much, and blows if you have more then one team at once since it takes forever to switch from team to team to check in and out of games. It really should be a home page showing a chronological list of all teams games and a one press check in or out from that page. Anything else should be deeper, like team chat or lineups and that sort of thing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Anyone else playing in the Phoenix tournament over Memorial weekend?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I prefer being off wing 99% of the time, including on defence. Practice pulling the puck off the boards on your backhand, and receiving passes on your backhand, it is worthwhile.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Your first problem is attempting to dribble the puck like a basketball, they dont bounce very well. I suggest trying the standard method of 'stick handling' the puck instead.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

Dude on my team scored his first goal in 15 years tonight. He was pretty pumped.

I have no idea how you play hockey for 15 years and not once get an accidental goal at least?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Everyone with weird feet should be in Easton Mako2 skates, shame they stopped making them. If you can find a pair in your size loving buy them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

One of our main refs at Lakewood passed last week unexpectedly, I know we have a decent socal crowd here so there is a chance you've had him ref or play in one of your games. Thought I'd throw the gofundme that our head ref set up on here in case you knew him and want to help.
https://www.gofundme.com/brian-blumberg-memorial-fund

gently caress, this is how I find out.

I grew up playing with him.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

Sorry man, it was a big shock to all of us.
His service is on the 6th (Thursday) if you're in town I can share the details.

Yeah I saw the stuff on Facebook after I read the GoFundMe, I'm not in town to go to the service unfortunately.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I have never ever washed my hockey gear, in 25 years of playing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

calandryll posted:

I just want to know what the hell are on hands to make gloves smell as bad as they do. Only part of my gear that bothers me the most stinkwise.

Its just because they are so enclosed, and take forever to fully dry.

I wear out gloves after a season or two so I usually replace them before it gets tooo bad.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

calandryll posted:

For some ungodly reason the new team decided I should try out being a winger. Screw this offense poo poo too much skating. I did get a goal.

It's so painful to transition, played a tournament at winger a few months ago and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing on the ice. But I ended up leading the team in points so I must have been doing something right?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I’m apparently a bit of an ice hog, this app is eye opening.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Im also not sure how it figures out speeds since gps doesn’t exactly work well indoors.

In my defense I think it called the warmup a long shift, and we had a dman in the box and I did the double once.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Played a 1 day 3 on 3 tourney on Saturday, super fun, super dead.

We finish second. Which meant we played 6 - 25 minute run time games. 7 skaters on our team.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Is this bad? I feel like it’s bad...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

D C posted:

Is this bad? I feel like it’s bad...

Chemmy posted:

A Robertson screw in a broken skate chassis is the most Canadian photo possible.

Hey that’s what Easton throws in from the factory.

Trip report. Only fell twice, made it through the whole game on that even though I was missing quite a bit of power off that skate.

Now to decide to replace it with tuuks or find another Easton holder.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I forgot about my broken skate until a few hours before my game last night, rushed to the shop to get the new pair naked and sharpened.

I know you’re supposed to wait 24 hours after baking to skate on them but I didn’t really have a choice. I ended up putting the skates in the freezer for 2 hours before the game to try and solidify everything.

I skated better then I have in a while, guess I’m retiring the old skates anyway.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I havent been wearing shoulder pads all month which has been all fine and dandy until last week when someone decided to bounce their cage off my shoulder.

That smarts.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

God this is the pro move even if I am somewhat of a liability in this scenario

3d every game is my dream.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've got a rink a 10 minute walk from my place but there's no league that plays there, my drives are 20-30 minutes without traffic to hockey, I've played as far as 40 minutes away.

30 minutes is an average hockey drive and my auto mental planning has me leave 1hour before gametimes with the 30 minute drive taken into account, leads to me being early more often then not but I cant break the habit, i got anxious waiting to leave when I lived 10 minutes from the rink I played at a few years ago.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just a quick reminder that elbow pads suck. I would kill a hobo if I could find some that didn't slide down all the drat time.

I've had good luck with the Bauer ones that have the Y shaped spandex- like "Anchor Strap" across the inside of the elbow.

Like this

D C fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 10, 2019

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

The fall isn't as embarrassing as that garbage windup.

quarter clapper.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Go buy the Marsblade and tell us how the snake oil tastes.

The roller holders are amazing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Apple Watch here, and probably half my teams all wear some kind of fitness tracker. Never seen one get broken in a few years.

Here's a killer shift I had a week or two ago:

It was me running around the rink in skates trying to find a fill-in goalie after ours got brained with a puck and had to be taken out of the game.

Actual shifts, 6 skaters in a div 2 game I filled in at.

After working at 5am that day, and traveling home, then going to the game, i was so dead afterwards .

D C fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2019

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
BenchApp, the guys who run the few teams I play on seem to like it, the UI is garbage from a user standpoint but its fine, best part is you can set refreshemnts, and it will send reminder texts to players to check in/out and on the day of games if you want.

RosterBot was the best but it became SportGo I think and havent used it in quite a while.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Captain of my team was just looking into BenchApp. Seems decent, and :lol: at the beer assignment feature.

The thing that bugs me most about it is it takes clicks to get into checking in and checking out and sometime takes a bit to load the pages.

Theres a lot of fluff, but its core utility is for players to check in and check out so it shouldnt take digging to do that.

In my opinion the home page should be a list chronologically of upcoming games for all the teams youre on that use it and you can go down and click yes or no to each game on the main page.

THe way it is is you get the next game from the last team you selected, then you click that game to get to the game page, then check in our out. In order to see a game from a different team you have to go to the menu and select the other team and wait for that to load, then click the next game for that team and then wait for the game page to load before checking in/out for that one.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

very curious if you'll actually need an extender, especially with the full length Warriors. I'm 5'10" and cutting down sticks significantly.

At 6'4 the Warriors are perfect length for a D stick for me. Right at my nose on bare feet, that plus a short plug should be good for 6'7.

I'd suggest going that route instead of buying a standard length Bauer/CCM stick and putting a big plug in, I've snapped a few longer plugs in my hand before, It's not fun.

You may also be able to find a shop nearby you that sells Pro Return gear and they often have taller than normal sticks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Sounds too long according to the gospel

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com

I love using a shorter stick but it doesn’t work to well for me for slapshots and poke checks and that sort of thing.

Source: 26 years of me playing ice hockey.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Feels like a good time to remind everyone how great playing without a cage is

No cage, no shoulder pads. So nice.

I took a few bruises this season where the shoulder pads might have made the bruise slightly less but its been totally worth it. I've only been using the Sherwood 5030 Classics since I was 16 anyway so its not like I've been getting a ton of protection from them anyway.

I do have massive oversized shin guards that go all the way to the top of my foot though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
We could field the weirdest beer league tournament team...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Anyone playing the CHP tournament in Phoenix this year? I'm heading back with a hockey friend of mine from Vancouver.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on air purifiers/deodorizers? I just got a storage unit in my building that is basically a big closet and I'm planning on keeping my gear in there, but there isn't a ton of air circulation. Was thinking about getting a fan in there and running it during the night after hockey. Do those Bamboo charcoal bag things do anything worth a drat? Or those Arm & Hammer ball things?

Ive been drying my gear out in my "den" (think big closet) with just a box fan running at the gear on an Ikea drying rack. It works fine and theres been no noticeable smell in the room without the gear in it after 2+ years of doing so. Bonus points it usually is dry within 12-24 hours.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Sellouts or otherwise, I need an skate on the Ice in LA this week before I go to Phoenix Thursday. I was supposed to skate up here on wednesday but I have to leave tomorrow for LA early for a bit of work this week, I've only played roller this month and I need to get my ice legs back before then, HELP.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

The Tuesday skate is about 6 levels below you and is full with waiting list currently :(

Anyway to maybe put my name down in case? I don’t need a high level skate, just need to get my skates under me again before next weekend

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Yeah but you’ve got no shot. 8 in front of you.

Oh man, I figured like 1 or 2, crazy waitlist.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

you can come skate with us in Kansas City! they don't charge us and it is a really good skate

Sure! Next time I'm in KC! (I've never been)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I play hockey sometimes.