Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hello thread I just want to profess that my extremely nerdy love of all things martial arts got me into actually practicing them almost 6 years ago. Decided to start with Hawaiian Kenpo in Puerto Rico with an awesome instructor for a year and a half. Then joined the Coast Guard and took a break from martial arts and briefly practiced Judo for a few months. Right now I am in NH practicing MMA in a small rear end, cheap as gently caress gym and I love it.

KingColliwog posted:

grappling hugs are the best hugs because they tend to make you unconscious

This, I love grappling; I can’t even get mad at people who just crush me with their massive weight/muscles/et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Novum posted:

Where are you training in NH?

The Shop MMA

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

edit: this weights poo poo should probably go to some other thread though

YLLS has a poo poo ton of strength work-out threads, this one is the regiment I am currently doing. Yes it involves doing a metric-ton of squats but for guys that love to roll it pays out. Hell I got a back-handed complimented by one of the instructors when I was rolling with him. "When the gently caress did you get so strong?" :allears:

[Hip-thrusting dudes on a mat chat]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

We had this huge guy (6'2, probably 240 lbs) walk in the gym in 2011, and I tutored half his basic course. Decent boxer but Savate is a kicking art and JESUS CHRIST HE COULDN'T LIFT EITHER LEG ABOVE HIS WAIST. Or even snap accurate low kicks. He could walk like normal people, but after that he would have just as well with two tree trunks stitched to his waist, which he then tried to wave into the general direction of his target. Anyway he sticked with it for whatever reason, and last winter I noticed a huge difference in his kicks, and yep we all guessed right, he had stopped squatting at the gym.

Me, I'm just playing around with this weights stuff ATM and I'm boxing 80% kicking 20% right now anyway but I doubt I'll stick to any squat heavy regimen either.

That sounds more like flexibility issiues than being huge issiues. I mean I have thunder thighs I can can kick pretty high! :v: Then again I always try to keep my flexibility and I will probably not go above squatting 200 pounds.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Had a few awesome jiu-jitsu rolls last night. Did a Kimura and a botched attempt-at-a-triangle-turned-into-armbar submissions against a relatively new guy. Also had a loving excellent round against the instructor, I had to be on the defense all the time, but slipping out of submissions and trying to get a better position felt awesome as gently caress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So today we ran some ground grappling drills, one guy on defense trying to keep the other guy from passing position. So anyways I was the bottom in closed full guard on the defense against a much more experienced guy. I know I don't have the best ground game on the gym, but I was being a complete douche and holding extremely well against him.

So he tried to break my guard but I defend by bringing him down and bear hugging him. He responds by rolling his eyes, standing up (while I was holding for dear life) and pushing me down. Still he only got a half guard out of this move. He was cocky as gently caress and tries to tell me something, I aint loving listening because I shoot for the closed half guard, sweep the motherfucker and gain mount over him.

It was motherfucking awesome. :allears:

In other words:

gently caress your Hubris

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am moving next year to the SF bay area, any good BJJ or MMA places I should look into?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thanks guys! One of the reasons I picked a lot of duty stations in california was for the abundance of martial arts schools. So I am super excited about this!
Edit: I will probably ask again once I know where I am going to live.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 18, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

So uhhh, yes, sometimes you get, "interesting "(or "interested?") looks.

Maybe they are seeing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NWS-kaM1Y
(I am happy that "adult bears playing" gave me actual bears and not "bears" :stonk: )

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Finally found out that im going to be living in Alameda CA. Last time I asked about BJJ schools and Ralph Gracie's academy was one of them. Still I would like to know if there are other good martial arts clubs in Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley and (maybe) San Francisco area?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you get the right kind of (flexible) cup you shouldn't even feel or think about it when you're wearing it.

Any recomendations for a flexible cup?
Serious post

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hi liter posted:

The New A/T MA Thread: Learn to beat up your friends

I don't beat my friend, however I did use judo throws on them while throwing a football on the beach.
Fuckers where trying to steal that ball from me anyways. :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I went to Ralph Gracies BJJ gym, gonna take my first class this Monday and probably sign up for a month. I am excited as gently caress. :allears:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Trip report: Ralph Gracie Beginner BJJ class.

Good stuff:
- Pretty nice place, much bigger than the last gym I went to.
- We just did a warm-up and practiced a simple throw and submission (the armbar).
- Had a good atmosphere, its run like a martial arts gym but a lot more relaxed.

Bad stuff:
- Will probably have to stay at the beginner class for a couple of months before I can go to the all belts class. Which is fine with me, but I will talk to them at a later date about it.
- They rent out Gi, but I will not wear another used Gi. Yes mine was clean, but still. :stonk:
- Not a whole lot of guys my size in this class.

I will probably go back and train in there.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Do people in this thread really believe karate, aikido, etc will actually help them in a street fight?

Obviously you need to learn kickboxing if you want to be the best street fighter.

Also martial arts are good for self defense because I get to outrun people.

Edit: Decided not to go to Ralph Gracie gym, its kinda far and I cant afford it right now. Gonna go see a BJJ gym in Alameda (Rio Combat Jiu-Jitsu) and a boxing (Lightning’s Boxing Club) in east Oakland.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Trip Report: Rio Combat @ Alameda CA.

So I went to my first beginner no-gi class today and had a blast.

Good stuff:
- Pretty small class size
- Costs less than Ralph Gracie's and its closer to where I live.
- Attached to the monthly cost is unlimited classes (no-gi BJJ, Gi BJJ and Muay Thai) and use of the Gym (The classes are held inside the Baladium Gym)
- A fellow co-worker goes to the class too.

Bad stuff:
- Pretty small class size.
- Probably not the best gym I can go to.
- I will most likely move out my current place in a couple of months.

Paid my first month and I am stocked as gently caress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Small could be good if it means you get a lot of personal attention from the teachers.

Ligur posted:

It can also be bad if it means there are only unsuitable training partners, which can also happen.

But usually it's good.

This is pretty much what I meant with "small class size", all four of us where new to the no-gi class but the Gi class has more people so there is that.

Edit: I hurt all over, so it means yesterday's class was a good class.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I went to the "advanced" I.E not labeled beginners no-gi BJJ class today. 30 minutes of warm-ups and going through one technique and then 3 10 minute grappling sessions. Grappeled with a guy that was as heavy or a bit heavier than me, almost passed out twice, was literally out of strength on the last 5 minutes and felt like I needed to puke.

God I love BJJ.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Besides bjjhq, any other places I can grab MMA related stuff for cheap?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have two (free) gyms available in my area and I pay 140/month for my BJJ gym which also gives me access to decent gym facilities.

30 minute drive for the free ones, 5 minute drive/15 minute bicycle/30 minute walk to the BJJ gym.

Decades posted:

(6'4" 145lbs) frame.

Kinda wanna bench press this guy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Im 5'9 at 200 lbs and I have been staying at that weight ever since I started seriously working out again. I am an apparently "huge" guy and people tell me (and are apparently scared) of how strong I am.

I still to refuse to believe this poo poo even when I squat 200lbs, deadlift 200lbs and push dudes away using my hands when I am at the bottom of a sidemount. :psyduck:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BlindSite posted:

200lbs? step your squat game up son. I'm 5"8 and weigh 157lbs and I squat 220, my legs aren't that big either. For some reason I can't bench press for poo poo but have good pec and shoulder definition. I can only bench about 175 but I can do like 190 on the seated row dealie. Bodies are weird. I saw some beanpole looking dude bench press 220 10 times the other day. It's not technique either because a friend of mine is a sport science qualified trainer dude, not one of the 6 week you're now a personal trainer dudes either, like legit ecg-doing-qualified, human movement dude.

I can probably do 220lbs squats, but my working weight is 200lbs and with my current strength regime I add 5lbs to my workout per week anyways. So instead of just doing a single max rep of 220lbs now, i'll just wait and do 15 reps of 220lbs in 4 weeks or so~

Also a year ago I could barely squat or bench 45lbs and I was in a stationed in a good boat with a lovely gym

Ligur posted:

Sometimes when people stop drinking (or never did to begin with) it seems to be more of a problem for other people, at least here. "What, you don't drink? WHY?!"

When I tell people I have never been blackout drunk at a portcall they give me weird looks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BlindSite posted:

Probably a good idea to have good sweeps or chokes from guard, because I taught my friends how to do a power double and they think its hilarious to do it to me when I'm not ready. Sprawling to the front headlock position is good fun too.

Also:

And laugh at them :unsmigghh:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Fly Pennywise... just fly."

I had this happen to me and I actually flew! Thankfully I landed on my back and I was giggling like a creepy rear end motherfucker.

quote:

I really need to do more BJJ. I did good against the other white belt, but she was a woman and I could overpower her pretty easily. No technique, just some strength. I'll get it down eventually. I might get some private lessons to go over the basics with Gilmar.

A weird tip I can give you is to think of Levers when rolling.

Two examples that happened to me:

1) I was laying flat on my back, I don't remember how it happened but my opponent put his hands behind my shoulder and his knee on my sternum. He then pulled with his hands and pushed his knee towards the mat, it was painful as gently caress. I tapped out and we reset and start rolling again.

2) So during round 2 I end up in the same situation as above. But instead of taking it I use my hips to slip a bit, raise one side of my body a bit and place my back at around a 45 degree angle. My opponent tries to pull/push again, slips and I take his back.

BJJ is the nerdiest martial art ever.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

And yeah if you do martial arts 2 or 3 times a week, then 3 lifting days is probably a bit too much. 2 will suffice. Even 1 is 100% better than nothing.

I workout 5 days a week, do BJJ 2 times a week (3 hours one day, 1 the other one) and do Starting Strength the other 3 days (~1 hour). The best tips I can give is:

1) Only do ONE workout routine per day, as in if you can either do your MMA class OR do your weightlifting routine for that day.
2) Try having two rest days to let your body recover.
3) I try not to mix cardio with weightlifting, as I am slowly approaching big boys weight territory. Doing cardio on MMA day should be OK. Biking/Walking/Running to the gym is also OK.
4) Sleep a good amount of hours and I would strongly discourage you to go on a diet if you start working out 5 days a week.
5) If you want to add more workout routines then break #1 or #2 but not both. With that said try not to do more then TWO different types of workout routine per day and, you should ALWAYS have at-least ONE full rest day.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Man when it comes to grappling I mostly just wing it and YOLO poo poo because I find grappling more fun and intellectually engaging when I am being a gigantic fool. Most of my "wins" have been getting my back taken, escaping into side control and doing a nice kimura to the guy.

Then again I'm the type of guy that would use an Under and Over hooks in the guard position and give you a loooooong hug. :3:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You should honestly give yourself a rest day each week no matter what your fitness level is.

This.

If I wasn't doing weight lifting I would only do BJJ 3-4 days a week. An hour of BJJ is much more strenuous on my body than a similar hour of weightlifting.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

So I'm taking the dive and buying a BJJ GI. Any tips on where to get them/ what to look for in the sub 120$ range. Thoughts?

Trolling BJJHQ.com until a decent deal comes up. Or you can do what I did and buy a Tatami Zero G V3 Gi for 120 (plus shipping) at bjjwarehouse.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Alder posted:

Uh, new to this and all, but that is one intense looking DVD set. Am I being kinda picky or the sites kinda awkward looking? Most of the time it's mentions calling them to get more info but phone calls...

BJJHQ (and MMAHQ) are sites with that sell one item only and they rotate them daily. Its overall less expensive then buying them at another stores, but you have to wait for what you want to buy to pop-up.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We should have an NYC goon grapplefest one of these days

This sounds like the grossest goon meet ever.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

A bunch of sweaty rear end goons wrestling vs :gooncamp: hmm?

I thought about this and came to the conclusion that it would be in fact the cleanest goonmeet. Mostly because if you want to be a grappler you must be hygienic.

Unless there an unhygienic goon grapler out there :stonk:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ch3cooh posted:

Had a first for me at bjj this morning. After 7 years of training I choked a guy all the way out. It freaked me out. I had a collar choke from top half guard and he was resisting it pretty good. I felt like I had it deep but he wasn't tapping. Then he started making gurgling noises and I was like oh poo poo. I let it go right away and raised his legs up. He was snoring hard and then woke up and gave me a funny look. Like I said it freaked me out for a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJkYJSgdcK0
Are you this guy????

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just do a german suplex, add some SFX, and have the guy head burried on the street.

Just like in God Hand.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

"He try to kill me. So I got to return him de favor."

Hahahaha why haven't I watched those in years.

You know what the west needs? We need our own version of Kung Fu hustle, a mystical martial artist street fighter comedy.

Make it happen Ligur.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

Is there a hierarchy of submissions? Like if given the option between say a choke, a compression lock, or joint lock which is the one you'd go for all things equal?

You go for whichever is easier to do at that time. Im always super careful with joint locks since some of them don't start start hurting until its too late.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

I like it when burly, sweaty men grapple me into submission.

not an empty quote

One of my co-workers goes to the same gym as me. A second coworker calls him the "Bear Wrestler".

I live in the bay area, so i endlesly tease the poor guy about his nickname.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

Oh God. I love you guys.

I would sweatily grapple you. Without gi. Or clothes.

I'll bring the baby oil and camera.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just as a heads up bjjhq has one sweet rear end rash guard on sale.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mewse posted:

I don't want an rear end rash

Not even a sweet rear end rash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

loving nothing worse than something nasty in your mouth or eyes (like a sweat soaked glove)

I would argue having a sweaty man rear end in your face is even worse.

On the plus side that fight ended up me doing a north-south triangle choke on the guy, so i think we are even.

• Locked thread