Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Final Crisis:

Morrison writes the best Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Watchmen:

Kinda dumb joke but Alan Moore makes it extremely profound. It really sums up who the Comedian was and why he finally cracked. Even a complete nihilist has their limits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This was the very first time I had a major emotional reaction to a comic.
From Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore and Curt Swan. For those who have not read it the premise of the story is that Superman's foes have aligned against him and his friends are in danger so he gathers them together for protection.
A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.
More Moore, this time Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing has just encountered some astronauts who tell him their story:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Colon V posted:

Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular.

Not necessarily. I mean they brought back KGBeast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Persepolis where Marjane Satrapi describes the last time she saw her uncle:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/YnyM9.jpg:nws:

From Blacksad: Somewhere Within the Shadows

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FMguru posted:

That first panel (the face of someone about to die) is a repeated image in Watchmen, and the thug's shadow leaves a Rorschach-style patterning on his face. Oh, and the falling/splattering jack-o-lantern is another repeated motif (the Nostalgia perfume ad, the snowglobe, Dreiberg's watch parts, etc.). The only thing the page is missing is a Hiroshima-lovers silhouette.

There's also the kid who's dressed as a pirate.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

About none at all.

And there's a good reason for that:

(Atomic Robo #4)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Just for the sake of your guys' emotional wellbeing, Clark does rescue Krypto from the Phantom Zone in the same issue.

Sometimes Krypto rescues Superman:

(from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Matlock posted:

Via Injustice #11

From Kingdom Come:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Thing is, we don't typically see - in the Marvel Universe - people sent to Hell (any of the many, many Hells) for being bad. It's implied here and there, but as a general rule the people we see sent to Hell get sent there because they made deals with demons. Even Dr. Doom's mother ended up in Hell because she cut a deal with Mephisto. poo poo, some of the dudes that do that get superpowers (see Blaze, Johnny). The "objective morality" you're referring to appears to be "don't sell your soul and you're fine," which isn't exactly the kind of tenet one builds a religion on.

Hell in the DC universe is a little bit more hardcore:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

He wasn't about to say,"Then when my Dad died I buried him on the moon too!" was he :stare:
Outer space is littered with dead bodies:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Blue is the Warmest Color, Clémentine realizes she's in love with Emma:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Just saw this posted over in the Kingdom Hearts megathread in Games, felt it was worth sharing:

Another heartbreaking moment from the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Scrooge decides that being rich is better than being happy:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Spoilers it totally does.

Pretty much:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

And then listen to the soundtrack because it's pretty amazing.

Wait, what?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Blacksad: Red Soul.
Context, a former teacher returns to his old neighborhood where used to teach and tried to make it into a thriving community:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent posted:

You forgot some important details: The proffesor (the owl) was also a nuclear physicist that was part of the Third Reich.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elfquest #18:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This loving panel:

(Saga #19)
gently caress you Vaughan and Staples.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

Back a few years ago when I was working as a journalist, in a place where journalists lives are cheap, I always found a kind of consolation in that tirade. If J. Jonah Jameson is telling Ben Urich to not be afraid of the goddamn Kingpin, then surely I could do better. :unsmith:
On the oither hand, if security at the Bugle is so lax that the Kingpin's goons can openly threaten it's employees I would be afraid to.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"You live in a city where there's guys that can kill you by literally just saying a word and I will offer no protection whatsoever. But gently caress you if that poo poo gets to you for a moment."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

There are real world journalists who do the same in worse circumstances. It comes with the job. If only every journalist could be issued a bulletproof vest and a ex-Spetnaz bodyguard!
I don't see why hiring a security guard so criminals can't openly threaten people is so unreasonable.

quote:

when he's supposed to be a veteran journalist who's walked the mean streets of NYC, where superpowered homicidal crazies can jump at you at any moment.

Which is probably why he got scared. He knows that there are people like the Purple Man who can kill by saying a word or Elektra who killed a man sitting next to him. I don't see refusing to write an article is all that damning considering those circumstances.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

Doesn't mean that, when faced with incredible odds, people should just stay quiet and not try to do the right thing. :colbert:

It also means that people who aren't ready to die in order to publish an article are assholes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uthor posted:

While I like the sentiment and it makes sense because we know those characters in the story, I keep coming back to the fact that the three best people Thor has ever known in his thousands of years of life just happened to all live in the same 50 years or so. That's so improbable!

When you consider that mot of those thousands of years were most likely spent in Asgard it stops being so improbable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saga chapter twenty five:

:cry: Why do I keep doing this to me:cry:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I was 50/50 on posting this to the badass thread, but...

It seems kinda silly to be an atheist in a universe where the Fantastic Four actually visited God (turns out that its Jack Kirby).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

That's just Cable in Loki's helmet!

Yeah, I think that was the joke.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is my KC moment:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Who the gently caress installs inescapable lethal traps around a school

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters is not big on security. One of the courses is literally "Survive a Battle WIth Wolverine".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mover posted:

I like a lot of things from Morrison's run, like Emma Frost joining the team, the mutant ghettoes and useless or horrific mutations, the continuing development of a person's mutations throughout their life. I actually really liked the character of Xorn up until the big reveal.

I have trouble forgiving him for taking the Jewish holocaust survivor (is Magneto maybe even the only cape who is tied to the holocaust so intimately?), who had been up to that point one of the best drawn and most sympathetic villains in any comic, and having him start marching humans into loving concentration camps and crematoriums as his big villainous plan.

But no, to Morrison he's "a bloody terrorist" and that means he can only be the worst of humanity, not only opposed to the heroes but contemptible and one dimensional.

I hope that didn't feel too rant-ish, I do think the run is worth reading.

To be fair, Magneto was under Sublime's influence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I thought The Watcher showed up to tell Beast he sucked because he brought the young versions of the original xmen into the present day and completely, utterly, and irrevocably (cept for secret wars! :haw: ) hosed the timeline up.

I like to think that the Watcher shows up to tell Beast he sucks once a month on a general basis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then yes: it was the Original Sin tie-in where in a flashback, Wade and Sabertooth go to kill Wade's parents, and Wade's memory is so hosed up at that time he doesn't know who they are.

While I also think that sequence was good it's a little bit tonally uneven. At first you're reading a funny little parody of nineties comics (Sabretooth have completely ridiculous hair and both keeps breaking the fourth wall) and then suddenly you get a really dark and grim story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Pretty much Duggan's Deadpool in a nutshell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Batwoman is good for 25 issues or so

Its sometimes hard to tell exactly when a comic run turns to poo poo, but in the case of Batwoman its pretty easy. it's right after this panel:

The rest is such a clutsterfuck that Williams and Blackman ended their run in the middle of a fight between Batman and Batwoman and then it doesn't take long before Batwoman runs into a lesbian vampire.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's clones all the way down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

iirc, that was explicitly what his contract with Wildstorm was written to be. And boy was he pissed when WS got bought out by DC.

Sometimes it seems like there's an entire department within DC that's entire purpose is to gently caress with Alan Moore.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dude just wanted his wife back.

And also kill people:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

In my head canon adult Calvin is involuntarily institutionalized because the voice in his head spurred him into a killing spree.

If anything the voices in adult Calvin's head would try to stop him from going on a killing spree if Hobbes is any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Remember when Soul Caliber had different guest characters depending on which console you owned? I'm hoping for something like that and we get He-Man on Xbox, Lion-O on PS and I dunno, a loving Silverhawk on Switch.

He-Man on ps4 and Adam on Xbox.