Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

For those looking to rent one site that I haven't seen is MLS. Basically people buy a house/condo and need to rent it out but the don't want to manage the property so they get a Realtor/mamagement firm to manage the property. Some may or may not post on craigslist but they definitely post on MLS search site. The best one I found was:

http://www.mlslistings.com/

I prefer to deal with MLS listing because craigslist, at least in our area, is full of crappy huge managed properties who post the same drat add day after day.

Yep, the MLS is the place to be. Get friendly with a Realtor who will let you pull up everything in the area. I'm signing a lease in a couple of days on a nice 2-bedroom townhouse in an excellent area (a bit rural, but very nice) with 1380 square feet and a ton of community amenities (five pools including one that's resort style, 10+ tennis courts, several fitness clubs, extensive walking and biking trails, etc) for 950 a month. In comparison, the apartment I'm about to move out of (985 square foot, roach infested), was 830 a month, and renewal of lease would have been 885 a month. Those sites that claim to "search the MLS" won't cut it, you'll need to get with an actual Realtor.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Apartment hunting right now and in a bit of a conundrum. Apartments in my area are generally poo poo. There's honestly only five or so complexes that I want to live in, and they're all above 800 dollars. My girlfriend and I are currently at 30 grand combined income, so that's already a little more than I'd like. One choice is 820 for rent, in a worse area, with a 500 nonrefundable pet fee and 800 dollar deposit. The other is in a nicer area, newer building, better amenities, 100 less square footage for 890. The pet fee there is just 300, and they also knock 300 bucks off your first month rent for a 12 month lease. Deposit is 200 refundable, 200 non refundable. I'm really leaning towards the second one, but sticker shock is getting in the way. We pay 670 for a shared house right now, but have to strike out on our own this time.

Our only transportation costs are gas (car insurance and maintenance is covered by my family until I get a better job, her family because she does errands for them), work is 5 miles away, and I've got a couple grand of emergency cash in the bank right now. I also just graduated college last month and am hitting the job market pretty hard, so I'm hopeful that income should be closer to 50-60k by the end of the year.

We've lived in cheaper apartments (650 for a single) around the area and have had nightmares. Oh god, the roaches. There's one pretty nice complex in the area for 600, but you're locked into Comcast as an ISP and required to subscribe to cable which is a complete deal killer. I've crunched my budget and it's not going to kill me at all to cut 150 a month, but going above 30% of income on rent is kinda scary.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Why is Comcast a deal-killer? What's the total cost if you factor in Comcast as part of the rent?

A) Comcast is literally terrible in my area. No one else I know has them by choice. I didn't even know they were available here until I talked to someone living there. Internet is apparently absolutely awful

B) It's not cable Internet they make you buy, it's cable TV. I have no interest in a TV subscription.

I talked to a buddy who lived in another of that companies property and said they pile on fees on top of that: to expect an extra 100 on your bill before the Comcast bullshit.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

RabbitMage posted:

How can we increase our chances of getting accepted for a place? I'm especially worried about finding a place to take us and our pets without being gouged too hard on a deposit/pet rent. A lot of pet friendly places I've investigated consider "pet friendly" to be allowing one cat or five pound dog. Between us we have three cats and a small dog.

At least in my area, you are going to have an extremely hard time finding a place that allows more than two animals, and if you find somewhere that lets you have more, you are going to pay out the rear end on non-refundable pet fees. You're looking for homes though, and often times private renters will be more open to having more pets. I'd still expect no less than a thousand non-refundable fees for that many pets, since the home owners will (rightfully) assume they'll need to lay down all new carpet when you leave.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Any suggestions on hanging a mirror on the wall? I can't imagine theres much to it beyond hammer, nails and a level but theres probably some super easier way and/or horrible mistake to make that a new-apartment scrub like myself doesn't even know.

E: Also its heavy one.

Since you're claiming to be a scrub, anything heavy needs to be mounted on a stud, or you need to use hollow wall anchors. Otherwise you'll just rip out a chunk of drywall.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Ye gods I never want to move ever again :cry:

I'm looking to hang my pictures and mirrors and stuff now, but I don't really feel like doing the stud hunt and driving nails in this place. Wasn't there something out there for hanging stuff on plain drywall? I can't remember for the life of me what they're called.

Hollow wall anchors, I said it about ten posts ago. :v:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

I met my landlord yesterday. He made sure to emphasize that he was a private investigator, he knew all the cops in this town, and had contacts in the FBI, and then he lifted up his shirt, showed me his gun, and told me that he was always armed. Then he told me about how the previous tenant was an old lady who died in here.

But at least we figured out that the reason there was water in the basement was because every time I showered it would start flooding. Whoever installed the shower did it wrong and now I'm waiting for a plumber to get here and I can't shower til this is fixed, cool stuff.

My current landlord (leaving this place in a few weeks) came to fix my AC a few weeks ago (he didn't), and made sure to brag about how he makes three hundred dollars an hour doing payroll services.

Yet, the 125k mortgage on this house is delinquent by three years. :v:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man, I'm getting stoked about my upcoming move. It seems like such a goddamn nice community to live in. I just hope things don't fall apart once I actually, you know, live there. Just two more weeks until I get the keys, then I have a leisurely half a month to move all of my poo poo over. I would have preferred to not pay double rent for half a month, but I actually wanted to live in a nice community, the kind that doesn't always have open apartments, so the amount of lease crossover is what it is. Might as well leisurely enjoy bringing a few boxes over when I feel like it.

I'm totally excited about having not one, but two pools, in a community that apparently doesn't use them. The four or so times I've been in to deal with move-related poo poo, they've been completely empty. Since my days off are off a normal schedule, I am going to be the king poo poo of pool land on Thursdays and Fridays.

One thing I do need to worry about is loving pots and pans. The ones I'm using right now are all of my roommate's. Now, I have a Costco membership, but I'm not so sure I need to spend 150 dollars on a 17 piece set when all I need is a normal sized covered skillet and probably like four sizes of pots with covers. I'm sure (with the Costco return policy at the very least) that such a set would last me a lifetime, but is buying separates at all economically viable, or should I just bite the bullet?

deadwing fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've got a hand-me-down Dyson from a dead uncle, but I've heard very good things about the Shark Navigator as far as a cheaper vacuum goes. It's only $150. It's also at my local Costco, if you have a membership I'd highly recommend checking there because if it breaks at any time for your full purchase cost. Basically buy everything at Costco that has a chance of breaking. Their return policy isn't as awesome on consumer electronics due to people abusing it to basically never buy a new TV or computer as technology upgrades, but for household things like vacuums, there's no reason to buy anywhere else.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Goddamn lovely Tampa Electric hasn't got back to me about turning on the power at my new place since I contacted them last Monday. The request definitely says I want it connected this Monday. My lease starts Monday, but I was planning on picking up my keys Tuesday, so at least they have a day and a half to get back to me (need service turned on to get keys). Why do they not want my money?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Do apartment landlords often care about hanging stuff on the walls?

You're usually cool as long as you spackle and paint over your holes at move-out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

So, does anyone know a good option for hiring cross-country movers? I don't have any furniture I want to move (leaving it all with my parents), but I have enough boxes and some things that I can not or are would be expensive to ship (TV, computer) that I want to take with me. It's not really a lot of stuff (all of my things AND the furniture fit into a 17' UHAUL),so I'm really just looking for a cheap way to get some stuff out there. Most of it I don't even need immediately so I would be willing to wait for it.

I've never used them, but I've heard good things about PODs, if you think you can swing everything in the 7x7 container it'll probably be the best idea. Basically they come to your place, drop off a POD that you load up at your convenience, then they come pick it up and move it to your new address, which you unload at your convenience. It's probably not worth hiring professionals for just a few things, they usually don't do small loads like that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Alright, I love my new place and have it mostly furnished except for one thing that's really going to matter to me as the temperature finally starts dropping - my patio. I've got a very decently sized, screened in patio overlooking conservation land that I'd really like a two chair and table setup for. Any recommendations for a place to find a reasonably priced set - I'm not looking for top of the line here and the patio is completely covered from the elements.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Admiral Lasers posted:

I want to move out of my current living situation in a couple months, when my lease is up. I'm really overwhelmed by how difficult it seems like it will be to find a new home and potentially a new roommate. The OP offers resources and Padmapper seems like it's great, but I wonder if I could also solicit advice from people who have been here before.

Relevant:
-My current lease began and ends on Dec. 1st, and searching this far out seems to only make things more difficult.
-I can afford either a nice 2-bedroom place with a roommate or an middling-to-ok 1-bedroom place.
-I've already mined my friends and acquaintances for leads and have come up with nothing.

Where do you live? Unless you're in the most competitive of urban areas where there is literally no vacancy between leases, starting looking for a place more than a month and a half in advance will be an exercise in futility since no one will want to hold a property for that long. Most landlords require two months notice of lease vacation at most, so a month and a half is a decent time to start looking if you want to dot all your lines. A month is probably more reasonable.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've honestly never seen a leather sleeper before, probably for good reason. Get something from Ikea that you can just buy an extra cover for, the covers are usually machine washable, so if they get dirty just do a cover swap. Honestly for 400 dollars I doubt you'll get something that functions well as both a couch or a bed.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

StickFigs posted:

I'm starting to look for apartments now and the OP says, "As a rule, you want to be paying 30% or less of your total income (pre-tax & witholdings)"

What is the reason for the bolded part? Is this just to factor in any tax returns I'll get ahead of time?

This is because when renting an apartment, they look at your pre-tax income. If you go above 30%, you'll have a really hard time getting a leasing agent to agree to rent you the place, even if you live the most frugal lifestyle otherwise and could technically afford, say, 50% of your income.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have really tall ceilings (~14 feet) with a ceiling fan that's also the light for the room. 2 out of 4 lightbulbs are burnt out and my stepladder isn't tall enough to reach them. My car is not large enough to buy a taller ladder (nor do I want to invest in one just for one light fixture in a rental house).

How the hell do I change these lightbulbs?

I've got ceilings almost that tall and my landlord told me straight up to call maintenance whenever a light bulb needs to be changed.

Then again, I'm in a professionally managed property, so things might be different in a house with a private landlord.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Soooo... I got a bonus at work, and made what I wouldn't entirely call an "impulse" buy of a new 24" 1080p monitor (it was on sale). The problem is that I don't have room on my desk for both my current monitor and the new one.

So, I need a new desk. I'd like a relatively small one, with space for a keyboard, mouse, and two 24" 1080p monitors. I also don't want to break the bank for it, or get anything really nice, just something that's not going to fall apart if I sneeze too hard. Suggestions?

My buddy just got this desk a few months ago, and it's pretty awesome. And, what do you know, "Holds up to two 24" flat screens". So it's exactly the size you need.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. My room mate and I moved out of an apartment complex. The last day of our lease is the 30th of this month. She moved out at the end of last month and I moved out on the 14th of this month. A few days after I moved out, I noticed that the carpet had been pulled up and the mat underneath had been pulled out. This was at night, after the front office had been closed. The next day I called the office and I found out that the neighbor underneath us (we're on the third floor) complained of a leak in the ceiling. The maintenance guys had gone in and the reservoir on the toilet in the hallway had cracked and leaked everywhere. Neither one of us were there when it happened. I was told that we might be liable for damages because we're still on the lease and we still have our keys even though we weren't technically living there anymore. The reasoning was that if we were there, we could have reported the incident and cleaned up before it became a serious issue. Has anybody had a similar experience?

tl;dr: Room mate and I have moved out of an apartment, toilet tank broke, caused lots of water damage, we might be held responsible. How hosed is my bank account?

Also, no we didn't get renter's insurance. (Possible) Expensive rear end lesson learned :doh:

That's completely bullshit, you could have just as well been at work or out of town. You should be able to fight that if they try to charge you.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the only problem is I have no idea how to go about it. Write a letter to my Senator? (Joking, of course)Any advice is welcome. This is in Texas if it helps anyone.

Well, a quick Google search implies that unless they can prove the tank burst due to you misusing the toilet, they can't do anything to you. If you're in Dallas, Austin, or Houston, Google shows there are tenant's rights associations that you would likely want to get into contact with for assistance with people who are familiar with local statutes. I'd go ahead and tell your landlord that the toilet tank leaking was not due to you misusing the property, and any attempts to charge you for damage will be fought in court. A simple threat that shows you have an idea of what your rights are can be enough to get a landlord to back down. You'd be surprised at how many people don't know what their rights are as tenants and will take any charge that their landlord gives them.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Expedits are awesome and you can do a lot with them, they already push them at Ikea as not only bookshelves, but room dividers and hanging display units.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I don't mount on the wall, I have an entertainment center that has an adjustable rod that the TV mounts to in a similar method to wall mounts. Better for renting, and offers a much wider swivel angle. Something similar to this, but much nicer for just 60 bucks more at Costco.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the floor plan we're eligible for (mostly because of the drat closet in the bathroom, that CAN'T be good for clothes constantly being exposed to that much moisture) but it's a hell of a lot better than the off base housing that's currently available in our price range. I'm gonna keep poking around Zillow/Craigslist every couple weeks just to keep an eye out for stuff.

Bathroom closets aren't that bad, I have a buddy who lives in the best apartments in my area (he's paying 1250 for a 1bd with attached garage in the 'burbs) and he has a massive walk-in closet attached to the bathroom. He and his girlfriend don't have any moisture issues in there. Just make sure you keep the closet door shut and the vent on when running the shower.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I'm trying to work out some stuff with our electric bill, and it would be kind of useful to know where most people fall. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with gas heat, hot water, and oven. So the electric is only doing duty on our appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, computer) and other standard stuff. As of 11/5 we were using 14.6kWh a day, and that seems kind of high to me (and, the reason for my concern, is that it's up from 13.5kWh last month and 8.2kWh last year. Does anyone know their use to give me a comparison?

We have had some meaningful changes since last year - new computer, new microwave, and our kid is bigger so I suspect we're doing more laundry - but I can't work out why it jumped from just last month.

I use about 25kWh a day in my large 1bd, but I live in Florida, land of the always-running air conditioner.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Leal posted:

I was apartment hunting last month and saw one complex say something like "I lived here and it was horrible 0/5 I moved to another place and it was better", so I looked up the reviews for the other place. Not a single one under 4 stars, and each review had the manager commenting on them. Closed the page and never looked back.

There is only one good way to use ApartmentRatings, and that is to find out if a complex has the possibility of a bug or mold problem. If I see multiple reviews attesting to that, it's a no go.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

razz posted:

Our TV is crapping out and we're looking to get a little bit larger/upgrade TV. Something in the 32 inch range. I don't care about having a top-of-the-line TV, I just want something that looks decent, preferably $250 or less.

I have been looking at some off-brands, Sceptre and Quasar. The online reviews are good and their 32inch TVs are in the ~$200 range. Does anyone have any info on these brands, or recommendations for a TV that is in my price range? Thanks!

If you have/know someone with a Costco membership, they've had some nice 1080p 32 inch sets at my local store around that price for under 250 recently. Buying TVs from anywhere but Costco is a mistake unless you're catching a major Black Friday-esque deal, they're cheap and the free year of warranty extension is awesome.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Xandu posted:

Not Australian, but I don't think there's much else to it. Consult a lawyer if they keep pushing you.

On the other hand, I'd say offer to pay the 250 on the condition they fix up your problems with the property if that's what you were willing to pay for the house in top shape. Remind them that you signed a lease for $240, and for the property to be worth the extra money, you need (list of things) taken care of. Bet they'll fix your problems in a hurry that way.

If they've fixed everything up in the two weeks since you moved in, gently caress them, you signed a lease for 240.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just got the first renewal notice for the apartment that I'm currently living in (and love), and my rent didn't go up a single cent. This is the same place that due to my credit score and rental history, I didn't need to put down any deposit at all on move-in.

Have I finally found Apartment Paradise, after so many hovels?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

deadwing posted:

Just got the first renewal notice for the apartment that I'm currently living in (and love), and my rent didn't go up a single cent. This is the same place that due to my credit score and rental history, I didn't need to put down any deposit at all on move-in.

Have I finally found Apartment Paradise, after so many hovels?

They called me back a couple days ago after renewing my lease.

I get a free professional carpet cleaning since I renewed. :aaaaa: What the gently caress kind of complex did I find and why would I ever leave

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Elderbean posted:

How much stock should I put into apartment reviews? It seems like the only people who bother to write them are angry.

From my experience, there is a pretty solid amount of stock to put in them. My first apartment complex is sitting at a cool 31% positive right now, and was a loving shithole where I'd kill two or three humongous loving roaches a day. My current place has a few obviously complex-added reviews and is sitting at an 80%, but is honestly a fantastic complex.

At the very least, they're a good place to learn about things like potentially mold and bug infested apartments.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Elderbean posted:

How are IKEA sofas? Are there any that work really well in a small apartment?

I really don't want to be that "everything in my apartment is IKEA" guy but the other options seems insanely expensive.

I've got a Karlstad sofa and I love it. It's extremely comfortable and the fact that covers are available separately is a huge selling point for a cat owner like myself. When it gets scratched up too much I can just drop another 100 bucks on a cover. That's why I went for the classic Karlstad, they'll probably be selling it (and therefore covers for it) for an eternity.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm moving out of an apartment that has a ton of roaches, and I don't want to bring them with me. I've got the luxury of living in Minnesota and we have been beset by winter. So I think if I just keep all of my stuff outdoors probably stored in a not-climate controlled storage unit) for long enough, that should kill everything, right? Or should I load up a truck and bug bomb it? Something else?

When I moved from my roach infested hovel I just immediately loaded every box from folded to full and taped the gently caress out of every box, didn't bring any of the bastards with me.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Leal posted:

I'm planning on moving out of my place next week, I rent a single room in someone else's house (who is renting rooms out to 8 other people). Now, my landlord told me that I am required, before I leave, to hire a professional to clean the carpet. I cannot rent a carpet cleaner and do it myself, no I need to hire someone to do it.

Do I have to actually do this? It feels extremely scummy that I have to hire someone with my own money to shampoo the carpet. And my carpet isn't even bad, I haven't spilt anything in this room, its just some arbitrary thing the landlord has demanded. Is there some legal thing if they try to withhold my safety deposit for telling them I'm not going to spend my money to give them a free carpet cleaning? Not only that but I can't even find anyone who will clean just my room, I have to pay cost of 3 room cleanings so I'm either paying 60 bucks to get my one room clean or hoping I can convince 2 others to divide the cost, its still scummy as gently caress that the landlord is going to get 3 rooms cleaned for free.

Yeah, most carpet cleaners charge for three "zones" and it's pretty bullshit for a small place. If the landlord isn't present, I'd just rent a Rug Doctor and print up a fake invoice because gently caress em'.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If someone who lives at a property is literally grabbing me and telling me not to live there I think I would take their advice

e: I lived in a property with a great property manager and a lovely owner and had to deal with all sorts of fun poo poo like things never getting fixed properly because the owner wouldn't pay to fix them, and constant foreclosure notices being sent to me

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 26, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is Roomster a Scam?

From Wiki: "All of Roomster’s basic features are free; anyone can search for listings, enter a profile, and view profile information for potential roommates.[5] While sending messages to other users on the site is free, responding to them requires an account upgrade for a fee."

I know for sure at least some of it is a scam because there are ads on Craigslist that don't actually have a roomster posting, they just want me to sign up. Then when I asked about discussing the listing over e-mail instead of roomster, I was told to gently caress myself.

I'm looking for housing in one specific city and the listings are, no joke, 4/5 roomster fronts.

Have goons used roomster?

lmao I just did some brief looking into them and apparently whoever does internet marketing for these people decided it was a brilliant move to post this review to multiple sites

quote:

I used to date this girl who was what you might “eccentric”. At first I loved that about her. She’d surprise me with the most bizarre and spontaneous things. One day she shows up to my place wearing a helmet and goggles and tells me she booked us for skydiving lessons on a whim! I love adventures so for me I thought this was a perfect match. We had some really amazing times together but things started to take a turn for the worse after her father passed away. I know it might seem insensitive of me but after her loss she became extremely irritable and moody to the point where she was constantly depressed and perhaps even suicidal. I knew that this was a very unhealthy relationship so I begged her to come to counseling with me so that she could get the help she needed. She refused to even consider the fact that she might need professional help and I was not sure what to do. The final straw came when she showed up outside my building at 4am one night screaming about how she wanted to kill me for not being there for her in her time of need. This continued for a few days until I finally got a restraining order against her. Unfortunately she didn’t care and would continue to harass me at my home. I knew I had to move. I found Roomster online and thank god I did because I don’t know how much longer I could have dealt with that craziness. Lets hope my next girlfriend isn’t nuts!

a+ viral marketing, must be a trustworthy company (everything points to them being a scam)

e:

quote:

I used to have a rabbit called Hope, I came home one day and my housemate looked me dead in the eyes and told me, ‘Your Hope is dead.’ I had no idea what she had meant until I went into my room to find the rabbit dead on my bed. My housemate had randomly snapped and killed it. I left that place the next day. I stayed with friends for a few weeks while I looked for another place. I ended up finding a really great deal on Roomster for a room to rent super close to my job. I met up with the person who created the listing for coffee beforehand to make sure that they weren’t crazy, lord knows I didn’t need to deal with any more traumatic housemate experiences. They were great and we get along extremely well. This site is great.

quote:

I lived with this guy who was a little weird and very controlling — the kind of person who desperately wanted you to think he was chill but was the literal opposite. He and his girlfriend would have extremely loud sex to Pandora’s techno station, but because he did not have a subscription, in the middle of them going at it you’d hear “Nchnchnchnch — advertisement: Are you a vampire?? — Nchnchnch.” Anyway, between having sex to techno and vampire ads, he would break up with her and then call his dad to cry/yell about how she was a horrible, immature person. I finally decided I didn’t have to live with this crap anymore so I started doing research on good places to find roommates. I ended up finding Roomster through a different site but I went with them because it seemed like they had a lot of rooms available and the prices weren’t bad.

someone's really having a blast writing these things on their dime, also if you reverse GIS the images that people post of the rooms they supposedly "found" they're all stolen from somewhere

deadwing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gildiss posted:

Are there any good suggestions for plastic moving containers? I don't care for cardboard moving boxes and want to have something that can be used for future moves.

my local costco has solid as gently caress looking ones right now for 4 bucks for a big one and 6 bucks for a really big one, check yours out if possible

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

Are any of the mattresses on Amazon any good? Or should I really go to an actual store to try one out? I'm looking to finally upgrade myself from a twin to a full bed.

If you're looking to spend a bit more (around the 600-800 dollar range) and don't want to deal with the in-person hassle, there's quite a few online mattress companies (Casper, Tuft and Needle, Saatva, and Leesa are the ones I'm familiar with and know are reputable) that let you buy the mattress and if you don't like it after a period of time (usually around 3 months), a crew comes and picks it up to donate it to a local charity. Plenty of online reviews so you can pick the one that's for you.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 5, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

carpet install should not take more than a day, shouldn't worry too much about it, maybe a small credit if he's expecting you to move your poo poo upstairs personally

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

What reasons would a landlord have for not allowing me to steam clean my own carpets? Is it easy to gently caress something up? Someone gave me a Shark Duo steam cleaner (wouldn't take no for an answer), so it got me thinking when I read it in my lease.

To charge you an unholy amount when you move out for carpet cleaning, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Just got my first rent increase. It's reasonable, but now that I'm on month-to-month I'm wondering how many times I might get hit from this point onward. Do non-rear end in a top hat landlords typically stick to annual increases?

If you're on month-to-month, expect the maximum legal increase every month (usually somewhere around 5%) until you're at 25-33% of what your 12 month leased cost would be. It's the price you'll pay for the flexibility that MTM offers.