Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I still buy CDs but im starting to get into Vinyl.

CDs are cheap right now and you can rip them in a better format/quality than what you can stream or buy online generally.

Did anyone else get anything good from Half Price Books 50% off coupon on Saturday? Here's what I picked up for $3.50:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of cool news, John Carpenter is putting out an album of all new music.

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-carpenter-release-album-imaginary-movie-theme-211322

This is up for pre-order, $23 shipped.

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

Classic neil collection finally complete

Nice collection! I'm a huge NY fan and its good to see I'm not the only one here.

Here's my meager LP collection:

I'm a little reluctant to go crazy buying his LPs because I just finished this a few years ago:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

Related, I listened to Trans for the first time recently. Holy poo poo does that album kick arse.

If you like Trans also check out Landing on Water. I think it's one of his most underrated albums.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got my copy of Lost Themes in the mail today! This is the first LP I've ever bought that was made after 1989 and I can't wait to listen to it.

Came with a code to download the MP3s too so that was nice.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

drat, that picture in the gatefold is awesome. Can't wait to pick this up this weekend.

Also, I'm not sure if anybody cares about soundtracks in this thread, but a pretty cool one went up at http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/11709477-george-a-romeros-martin. If you haven't heard the score, it's a pretty unique one.

Great cover art, too.

Thanks, I just impulse bought the swirl version.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My album pickup for the weekend:

Paid $15 - not bad for the regular black version.

Then I got home and opened it :cool:

RIP Johnny

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

well poo poo... apparently I already missed out on the special edition vinyl colors of the new John Carpenter album. Still might have to pick this up

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

I pre-ordered that album the second I heard it was available and still missed out on the limited colored versions so don't feel bad.

It's a fantastic album btw.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

My (probably) final purchase at the Bananas warehouse before moving out of Florida in little over a week:

First two volumes of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar (no copies of the final installment). It's time to get more Zappa in my life.

Everyone needs more Zappa in their lives.

I picked up a copy of Zoot Allures for $6 last week at Everybody's in Cincinnati among other things.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

50 cent thrift store pickups from this weekend:

A few months ago I bought Whipped Cream & Other Delights for 50 cents because I liked the cover and now I own 6 Herb Alpert albums. :toot:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Even the guy a couple pages ago who bragged about his Herb Alpert scores? I don't think he's part of the problem

I'm up to 10 Herb Alpert albums and I haven't even spent $15 yet lol.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

That's one way to spend $15.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

mia2000 posted:

I said that exact line today as I was digging through 2 boxes of records that a guy was going to throw out. Got a nice mix of The Who, CCR, Stones, Neil Diamond....you know, the classics!

The Who and The Rolling Stones are two of my favorite bands. Which albums did you get?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It finally came! After months of waiting, 3 weeks shipping from England, a little dinged up and with a torn inner sleeve. But it made it! Limited Green vinyl signed by all 4 members and hand numbered to 500.

The CD is going to my brother for his birthday. Drummer quit the band before that one could be signed.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wow, that Phantasm record :gonk:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

taqueso posted:

Nostalgia. CDs will be collected in the same way in a decade or two.

I hope so. My collection is getting near the 800 mark and I'd like to leave my kids something they won't be scratching their heads about.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

A new record store opened up here. It had a pretty limited stock BUT everything they had was in pretty dang good condition. Also they had that Absurd entrails album. Which is even more hilarious in the flesh for what it's worth. Anyway here's my pull for this week.

I've wanted a copy of low for ages now. I was pretty loving psyched when I saw it.

What did you pay for Plastic Ono Band? I'm looking for a nice copy of that myself.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

I bet that place doesn't even smell like a record store.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

All the goodwill/thrift stores around here just have massive amounts of musty rear end gospel music. Oh and my man Herb Alpert and the TJB. I'd kill for a place that had some decent prince around here. There's a store charging 50 bucks for Lovesexy. gently caress You.

I cleared all of the thrift stores in Cincinnati out of Herb Alpert albums a few months ago but they've probably restocked by now.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If a record shop doesn't smell like patchouli I turn around and walk right back out the door.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I'm still new to Vinyl and got very frustrated last night trying to play Jack White's Lazaretto (from the Amazon B1G1!) and kept thinking I got a bad press or my ancient turntable was finally calling it quits. Turns out that side A you start the needle in the middle and it moves to the outside versus conventional usage.

I felt like a complete dummy.

Great album though.

Looks like there's a bunch of gimmicks on that one:

amazon posted:

Over the past five years, Jack White & Third Man Records have brought to life many ideas that were new to the century-old vinyl format. Continuing that grand tradition, the Lazaretto ULTRA LP contains many incredible bold innovations:

-180 gram vinyl.
-2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels.
-1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM and 1 plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record.
-Side A plays from the inside to the outside of the disc.
-Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
-Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record.
-Both sides end with locked grooves.
-Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format.
-Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record.
-Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering.
-Different running order from the CD/digital version.
-Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions.
-LP includes MP3 download insert.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just hang a mirror over your turntable and save $400.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Check out what arrived today!

Transylvanian Flashback Black & White Swirl limited to 500 copies.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 30, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Xarthor posted:

If I was in a band I'd hire Mad Magazine to do a fold-in on one of the gatefold covers. Then I'd watch all the vinyl nerds turn themselves in knots trying to decide whether to fold-in and see the joke or keep the jacket pristine. :getin:

Chances are people would buy 2 copies. Hey I think you're onto something!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

If anyone is interested, Ship to Shore PhonoCo. (my goon run label) has just put up our Manos: The Hands of Fate LP for pre-order on red/black swirl "The Master" vinyl at http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/13817541-manos-the-hands-of-fate.

Page not found.

Are we going to get first dibs on the Mother pre-orders? ;)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The dudes who put out the recent Mother vinyl OST are now doing Mother 2! http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/14044656-mother-2

This just went live. I grabbed the blue/yellow version.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

stay depressed posted:

wow these are absurdly expensive

The cloths or the 50 cent Herb Alpert records?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

Had some good luck at a flea market this weekend, amazingly:

Abbey Road was $5
Simon and Garfunkle - $1
Pixies - $3
Smiths - $3
Dion - $1

All in great shape except for Abbey Road, which is terrible but I don't have the willpower to pass it up for 5 bucks.

That Dion album kind of sucks because it doesn't include anything off Runaround Sue, even though it came later.

Nice haul. I found a nice Dion and the Belmonts 7" recently.

http://www.discogs.com/Dion-The-Belmonts-Where-Or-When-Thats-My-Desire/release/3049379

Paid 75 cents.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah seriously, no Ram?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm just glad I'm not the only McCartney fan with a Dad hand me down/thrift store setup in here.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Xarthor posted:

As far as post-Beatles McCartney, my top vote goes for McCartney II.

That one's solid. I'm a big fan, here's my collection:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just don't understand getting that excited about a compilation album. Unless it has songs written specifically for the movie/game/whatever that can't be found on a real album.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ras Het posted:

Uhhhh are you 100% sure you want to stand behind this inane generalisation

Yeah I suppose you're right. It's just a personal preference.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Also, I asked in the order requests box on Paypal for them to write "gently caress Tim McGraw" on a piece of paper and throw it in, mostly to see if they'd do it (and also because gently caress Tim McGraw). Forgot about it and was delighted upon seeing it when I opened the package.

This rules.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just came in. Wax sealed screen printed wrap-around limited clear blue edition numbered to 350 copies.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

How do you know it's clear blue?

Someone on discogs opened one.

I'm going to hold off and see what it's worth before I decide.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ras Het posted:

you should hit yourself in the face with a shovel until you see what your life is worth

Yes, because I bought a whole stack of them to flip, go be butthurt somewhere else.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Uh, I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, it's not a remix of bad music from bad horror movies, it's a remix of bad music from imaginary horror movies.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

You can actually slide the record cover out of the thing without breaking the wax seal. I have another album from sacred bones with one of those wax sealed prints.

Thanks, it was a really tight fit but I managed to slip it out without breaking the wax seal. :spergin:

Anyway, here it is:

Here is the download code if anyone wants it:

Here's the download code to the original album too, but it may be used already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone want to post pictures of their signed records?

I just got this back through the mail today!

He signed it in a little over a month.

USPS mangled the corner but it's up in a frame now anyway. I couldn't add any more cardboard to the return envelope without going over the 13oz rule for stamped mail.