Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sous vide question-any suggestions for marinading meat? Can I mix up a batch of marinade and freeze in ice cubes and add one to each bagged piece of meat?

I'm trying to get better about buying bulk meat and individually packaging it up for quick and easy weeknight s-v meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Would this work for frozen ham too??

Works well with anything frozen. Water bath will thaw anything much much faster than doing so on the counter or just sitting in the fridge due to thermal conductivity of water.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes, but the problem with a water bath is that unless its vacuum packed the result is waterlogged meat. Also thawing slowly helps the meatjuices equilibrate through the muscle.

Uh, do people regularly put meat straight into the fridge without first putting it into a ziploc bag? I realize not everyone vacuum packs everything but...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've heard that he makes some rather glaring cross-contamination errors on camera. True?

Don't forget those lawsuits about sexual abuse of teenagers in the 70's and 90's killed his career.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I like roasting them (along with other peppers) and making green chili

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

That's a good recipe, but you don't need to bread your wings.

I like to trim them all up and leave them on a baking rack in the fridge overnight. The fridge is super dry so the next day the skin will be dry and tacky to the touch.

Get your oil to the right temperature, plunk your nice dry wings in and let them fry until they're golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Then toss them in a mixture of hot sauce, butter and I toss in a little garlic and Worcestershire.

I'll add to that, my trick from serious eats is to prep and let the wings sit in the fridge but sprinkle a mix of salt and baking powder. My goto recipe is: http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Baking powder speeds the Maillard reaction by making the surface more basic. If you've got it on hand go nuts, but it's not required.

Who doesn't have baking powder on hand?

It makes wings so amazingly crispy, do eeeeet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

contrapants posted:

That looks really good. I don't have a grill. Would broiling them work just as well, or should I cook them stovetop? I would think a hot cast iron pan would be similar, just without the charcoal flavor.

You could try baking (and maybe broil at the end? not sure never made wings in the oven). I grill 98% of the time but I have fried them in a dutch oven too.

Wings need a good amount of cooking time to render out the fat from the skin to get the right amount of crispy-ness.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I have one of those. It's made of silicon. The problem I see with that is all the steam condenses on the top so when you take the lid off, all the water goes back in the pan/ on the stovetop and spatters again.

That sounds awful. This is what you should use:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-746588-13-Inch-Splatter-Guard/dp/B00004SU1E

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kinmik posted:

I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rurutia posted:

I always do butter poached lobster in my sous vide machine. 125F for 30min then a quick sear yields some of the best lobster I've had.

We recently had a huge sale on lobster ($4.50 ea) so I have lobster on the brain.

Whole lobster or tails? Do you have a recipe or website for this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, nothing like a Carolina mustard sauce on some dry-rubbed ribs. God I'm hungry now.

So I was wondering if anyone could suggest what brand of fish sauce to get? "Taste of Thai" seemed like it might not be incredibly authentic.

Also, I know there's a thicker, darker sort of soy sauce that one is supposed to use in sauces, but I can neither recall the name nor find it in my local Wegmans. Is this the sort of thing I'd have to look for in a specialty Asian goods store?

this thai blog did a taste test of fish sauces:

http://shesimmers.com/2012/07/thai-fish-sauce-taste-test.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've had this one for over 4 years no broken probes and no problems whatsoever.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

plaguedoctor posted:

From a few pages back, but:
I'm not sure about onions, but don't store garlic in the fridge.
Cold actually *activates* the growth mechanism in garlic, and by storing it in the refigerator, you are causing it to start it's budding cycle. Seriously -- you are supposed to plant garlic just before the first frost, and then it grows underground until spring, at which point it then sprouts up through the ground. I highly recommend it for garlic scapes, though.

I recently gave up on keeping garlic bulbs around and just buy fresh pre-peeled stuff from H-mart...it's about $1.50 for about 50-100 cloves of garlic and it seems to stay fine for weeks for me.

I made some stock last night from some chicken thighs and wing tips in my pressure cooker but I thought I should try making some more tonight. I was thinking of making a asian style stock...any recommendations of what aromatics or a recipe I should use?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Please tell me more about this egg torching

Pookah posted:

I make stock for chao ga all the time and I use garlic, whole black peppercorns and ginger - say around 5 sliced garlics, 4 inches of ginger sliced, 25 peppercorns into 2 litres of water plus the chicken. I salt it up with fish sauce at the end.

Sounds good! Have you tried lemongrass in stock?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I just purchased babby's first vintage Griswold pan (1930's era), and I need some suggestions for building up the seasoning. Bacon bacon bacon?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I had no idea meat csa's even existed :aaaaa:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Better:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f0b6/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I made that for the first time last week with beecher's cheese. Fuckin' owns so hard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I want to make some chicken or pork adobo this week, was going to try this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/classic-chicken-adobo-adobo-road-cookbook.html

any suggested tweaks?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scott Bakula posted:

What are some good ways of cooking beef short ribs? I'm not sure I've ever had them so going to find a butchers that sells them this weekend. I'd smoke them but its probably going to be extremely heavy rain and I don't have any equipment to sous-vide them. I don't really want to make a stew with them either if I can avoid it.

Pressure cooker or braised, if you aren't going to smoke or s-v them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ok, so I bought a couple of flank steaks from H-Mart over the weekend and when I took them out of the package, I immediately noticed that the meat was significantly more lean and pliable and soft than any other flank steak I had ever had seen before.

I thought this would be a good thing but after marinading and sous vizzling it and a sear in the pan it was absolute mush. I used the alton brown fajita marinade and it has olive oil, soy sauce and lime juice (in addition to other stuff).

Any thoughts what could have caused this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Now that I have a good cast iron pan I am definitely making a dutch baby tomorrow morning

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think I'm going to try al dente modernist cuisine mac n cheese at a thanksgiving potluck next week. an hour of warming in a crockpot shouldn't turn it into mush, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Xovaan posted:

Thanks for the tips on spice jars, guys. I think mason jars are the way to go for the time being. :) Gonna go pick some up this weekend!

I asked my wife to make something similar to this kind of setup for my xmas gift:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95952022/medium-stainless-steel-metal-wall-plate

you can buy the little containers much cheaper from here vs etsy:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/hexagonglassjar15oz45mlwgoldlid.aspx

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/22/dave-arnold-booker-and-dax-searzall.php

Anyone seen this? It's an attachment that you stick on your blowtorch that turns it into a handheld broiler. Kickstarter launches on the 29th.

Awesome, I saw this a while ago on some blog and it looked like it had stalled out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

I have the flu and was boiling some water on the gas range (medium heat) to make a cup of tea for myself when I kind of zoned out. Around 30-40 minutes later, I got up to go make a cup of tea- forgetting I had already set water on to boil- and found the pot still on the burner but with all the water evaporated. There was a bit of white residue on the bottom, but there didn't seem to be any melting or cracking or anything. Is it unsafe to keep using this pot? It's a Chefmate cookware pot with a non-stick surface, and I've read up about the toxic chemicals that can be released but most people talk about that in terms of leaving an empty pot out for several hours. I think between the water completely evaporating and my discovery it couldn't have been more than 20 minutes. Should I be worried about there being some chemical residue that will make me sick?

Personally, I wouldn't use it again. If you were boiling water it would have been on high heat and nonstick surfaces shouldn't ever be on high heat anyway. Its even worse if you had it on high heat with nothing in it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, medium is much better if you were using a nonstick pan. you're probably okay then.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going to do a pulled pork in the oven then finish it off on the grill.

Should I remove the skin on the joint when the meat is raw, then apply the rub, or should I leave the skin on and take it off after the meat is cooked but before I grill it?

Why bother grilling it? TBH if you're not actually smoking it then you might as well try this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/ultra-crispy-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

....but should i take the skin off before i apply the rub or after it's been in the oven??

Did you at least look at that recipe I posted? Look at that amazing crispy skin you should be eating

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What are some good mexican vegetable sides? I'm trying to make a better effort at having more veggies with every meal and mexican cuisine is usually lacking when it comes to this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Haha, I already have it bookmarked. I'd be all over that if it were summer :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I already mentioned Cincinnati chili.

What's with the hate for this stuff? I mean my wife has made it a couple times and it seems ok, but I've never had it in a restaurant.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 13, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

It defines midwestern cuisine.

404 mayo not found

Wouldn't that be hotdish or some sort of terrible jello salad?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Most carnitas recipes call for chunks of pork shoulder so you can cut it up, add your oil and seasoning and throw the dutch oven in the stove for a while.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really want to try cooking more duck breasts but I rarely ever see them at my local grocery stores (not many butchers here either). Are frozen ones acceptable quality or should I hold out for a fresh source? I'm in the seattle area, if that matters.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

Just trying to make some sense of all these recipes that are saying to freeze this fish first if I don't want to die painfully or whatever.

The recipes may be assuming that the salmon is fresh caught and never frozen or caught in fresh water, which can have parasites.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I want buffalo wings, I buy whole wings and fabricate them myself. This lets me keep an ever growing freezer bag of wingtips, and when it's full, it's time to use that and a carcass and make stock.

I do this too, works great especially with a pressure cooker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LTBS posted:

I'm doing a hotwing festival in 2 months and I've starting trying to make some hot sauces to go on the wings (we have a good recipe already, just trying to make more) and I'm looking for a good recipe.

I made a sauce last night (that will be cut with butter) that was pretty good, but I didn't take measurements.
It was basically some dried chilis (chile de arbol, guajillo, ancho) re-hydrated with hot water, blended with some onion, garlic, salt, and apple cider vinegar.

It tastes good, but just wondering if there is something else I can do in the time frame to have a good sauce. I'm going to start making a mash for next year's competition.

Sriracha wings? They're not insanely hot but carry a good amount of heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I pulled a whole chicken out of the freezer that seems to have a bit of freezer burn--any suggestions for what I could use this as? doesn't look like it would turn out good for roasting.