Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I think that most people simply do not rate "plagiarizing your doctoral thesis" very high on any right or wrong scale they have. Once you explain to people that plagiarizing your thesis is not like cheating on a test in school, but rather more like cheating on your Abitur or Meister-prüfung, or similar - then they start understanding what was so wrong with what he did.

Anyways, to open a whole new can of words: Today, Baden-Württemberger went out and voted to keep building the new rail station in Stuttgart. All in all, I think that this was the best result that could have occurred. This way, everybody had their say, there was a clear discussion, and a clear statement was made as to what is to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mike12345 posted:

What's the radio equivalent to Tagesthemen or Heute Journal? I'm looking for a 30 min recap of the day, but in radio format. I looked at Bayern 2 and Deutschlandfunk, but most of their news shows seem to be like 5 min long.
Deutschlandfunk - Das war der Tag von 23:10 bis 23:50 (und danach noch Presseschau).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Well new elections are a given at this point.

I hope that the FDP and CDU get absolutely clobbered for this.

And I am very happy that our news media is willing to call out all the BS about this whole thing. That interview with Kemmerich was brutal.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Mostly business as usual at our company so far. Though they did organize a doctor to give the flu shot to everyone who wanted it last week.

Oh and apparently we can get masks and disinfection fluid from the company. Haven't tried getting any though.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

As no (good enough) laptops are available any more, our IT department has now organized a lot of WLAN sticks, so that all the people who currently do not have laptops will be able to work from home once the order comes.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Because of stuff like that I expect a total lock-down (like in France, Spain, etc) will also be announced very soon.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hopper posted:

I think it would be every other Friday. 20 workdays/month on average so my layman's maths tells me 2 days less is 10%. Not sure that's absolutely correct what with taxation and Sozialabgaben but that's the ballpark I guess. It's not great but at least I'd get some free days out of it to do stuff I hate doing on weekends.
Can't they do that with Kurzarbeit? Then you would still get 60% (or 67% if you have kids) of the regular income for those two days.

Tarquinn posted:

Also, my company is implementing 50% Kurzarbeit for at least three months. Totally not looking forward to my worker’s council meeting on Tuesday. :v:
My company has two weeks 100% Kurzarbeit for now. We still have enough work for the next couple of months (Maschinenbau ftw), but the question is if we get any new Aufträge during that time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Heck, i'm almost morbidly curious enough to ask why milk is supposed to be bad now, but i'm sure it'll turn out to be some "if you drink it in 10x the 'in moderation' amount it has some obscure side effects".
Milk (3,5%): 64 kcal/100 ml
Milk (1,5%): 46 kcal/100ml
Cola: 48 kcal/100 ml

Might as well drink Coke, its at least just as healthy.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

I'm sure you're trolling with this, but just in case: The kcal in milk come from the fat inside, the kcal in Cola come directly from sugar. Slurping too much Cola will destroy your kidneys eventually. The diabetes it will cause isn't very cool, either.

On another note, Cola Light has 0,2 kcal/100 ml and tastes better*. I suggest drinking that instead.

*After multiple years of drinking that stuff. Normal Cola will taste hilariously bad after not drinking it for a couple years, so beware you can't go back to Sugar Coma, oops my bad I meant to say Sugar Cola.
It was meant half-seriously. Coke is obviously not healthy, but milk has about half as much sugar as coke does.

However, I grew up being told drinking lots of milk was super healthy and good, much better than anything else. And that is simply false:

"The Incidental Economist posted:

Before going any further, let’s acknowledge where there is consensus. Human infants, like all mammals, depend on milk for sustenance at the beginning of life. Breastfeeding (human milk) is almost always recommended, as well as baby formula until 1 year of age if breastfeeding is not feasible. Most experts also think that children should continue to be breastfed or transition to whole cow’s milk until they’re 2. The fat is believed to aid in brain development.

It’s at that point that things get tricky.

There’s very little high-quality evidence, and no comparable mammalian example, to argue for the specialness of cow’s milk after this period. Arguments that it’s good for you because it has protein and other vitamins and minerals could be made about many, many other foods (but those foods don’t receive such official recommendations of support).
The bottom line, as I’ve written before, is that every beverage other than water and breast milk might be treated the way alcohol is for adults — you can have it if you want it, but don’t be under the illusion that you need it.
I use milk for Müsli, coffee and obviously for cooking/baking. I drink mostly water (and beer).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

The only thing I couldn't shake is my coffein addiction. Mostly because it's sometimes super-hard to find the special super diet cola without both coffein and sugar. It's maddening! Not as maddening as the headaches every time I find the special stuff and get hit with Entzugserscheinungen, but close.

I'm fairly sure the day I start drinking coffee will be the day my heart just explodes
At work I usually drink four or more large Becher of coffee. And during the weekend I drink no coffee at all. I don‘t feel any difference at all. I‘m not sure if thats normal or not. :shrug:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ika posted:

But its a mix of "How to lie with statistics" and "How to fail to present data".

Anyone know whether the RKI provide a CSV with the data they use for the dashboard, and where to find it?
https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/blob/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_time_series/time_series_covid19_confirmed_global.csv

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ika posted:

That's the john Hopkins data, not the RKI data (Which accounts for the lag between tests being done and reports arriving).
Oh right.

Here you go:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f10774f1c63e40168479a1feb6c7ca74

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Zwille posted:

I thought I didn’t have any allergies and then developed a Milbenallergie and a Gräserallergie over the course of a couple years. Symptoms (for the Gräser/Pollen thing) are mild for me: itchy throat, quad- to quintuple sneezes. If you can brave a visit to a doctor they might be able to prescribe you an antiallergic which might help. Maybe there’s over the counter stuff too, but I dunno how good that works. Used to be the good stuff made you drowsy but what I got last year didn’t.
It also makes a big difference where you live. I had mild allergies for quite some time, but after I moved it got a lot worse (Allergies against pretty much all trees, grasses and Milben). Turns out having the Autobahn 30m one direction, train tracks 50m the other direction, and Thyssen Krupp 200m away was not very helpful. Since moving again to the outskirts of the city its gotten a lot better.

I have thought about doing a Hyposensibiliserung, but since it has gotten so much better I've put it off for now.

If it gets particularly bad, I take a Cetirizin pill once or twice a day (after getting up and before going to bed). It costs almost nothing and is rezeptfrei, but - at least for me - is very effective at suppressing the symptoms.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Going from maybe 5-10% of people wearing masks to >95% of people wearing masks (even if not perfectly) has to help, I think.

In addition, I would expect that it makes more people act carefully overall just from the psychological effect of seeing other people take it at least somewhat seriously.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

You have to remember that as a soldier you are treated like a Beamter: Nur Lohnsteuern, keine Sozialabgaben. So the Brutto can be quite a bit lower, but the Netto is not bad.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nektu posted:

Sitting around at home all the time made me completely forget which day it is and I so VERY NEARLY booted up my laptop and went to work today :downs:
I was wondering why the radio wasn‘t playing the normal morning program and was planning on going to the grocery store today until I remembered that.

So welcome to the club, I guess :shrug: :D

Einbauschrank posted:

It's a light hearted Schabernack because it's essentially true. I did a calculation in the happy Vorcoronazeit. Edit: I remembered it wrong! The Lehrernetto only comes up to 85k Angestelltenbrutto (which comes to the upper 10% of Angestellte).

To earn 45k netto (adjusted from originally 54k, see Edit above) netto as a verbeamteter Gymnasiallehrer you need to chose the right Bundesland (BaWü, BY, NRW) and not be fired for 10 years until you automatically get a high enough Erfahrungsstufe to earn 4.5k netto a month (when you' be ~37 y/o). If you aren't allergic to the smallest bit of responsibility, like being a Oberstufenleiter, you can get promoted to A15, but these slots rarely open for obvious reasons. For mediocre people without leadership skills or entrepreneurial spirit being a verbeamteter Lehrer at the Gymnasium is the mother lode. Doesn't mean every verbeamteter Lehrer is a lazy gold digger, only that the incentive to attract that kind of personality certainly is there.

Pensionwise a verbeamteter Gymnasiallehrer in the right Bundesland will retire after 40 years with a monthly pension of ~3200€. If you had worked for 45 years and earned 100k right off the bat you'd have earned enough entgeltpunkte to be entitled to 2300-2500€ (depending on the cap for maximale Entgeltpunkte during your working years).

If the glorious revolution ever comes, please reward verbeamtete teachers for sucking dry the working classes (and everybody else) for decades.
Teachers should earn (very) well - they do an extremely important job. Certainly more important than an Abteilungsleiter in random company X. If anything, the problem is that teachers for Grundschule, Realschule, etc are payed so much less. Not to mention Erzieher.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

The job is important. But it's not exactly rocket science, i.e. it's not too difficult to recruit people with the right skill set.
This is why there are never any complaints about bad teachers. This is why there are no people who remember that ONE teacher who was very good. Because it is simply a very simple job that anybody can do. There is no need to try to recruit the best people for the job, because there are simply so many out there who can do it properly anyway.

That was sarcasm by the way.

Honj Steak posted:

People who say teaching is easy are the reason for bad teachers. It's a complicated skill that requires a great amount of creativity and adaptability.
Exactly.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I should not have watched that. Too much stupid. The dangerous kind of stupid.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ika posted:

Is that a bendy bus, or was it going really fast, or did it push itself back up? I would expect it to be at a larger angle.
Bendy bus:

The driver and one Passant lightly wounded.

drat, imagine suddenly having a bus fly over you...

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Eezee posted:

Since you drive a TTS, you have to get a Mahlkönig
Loving the 2% Nachlass for Vorkasse. And zzgl 4,90€ Versandkosten.

Tarquinn posted:

I know what Ephex means. I pretty much did the same thing last year. I have owned several cars over the years, but they were all simply Gebrauchsgegenstände, with no emotional attachment at all. The new car makes me happy on some level no car did before. :shrug:
Yeah, I can say the same. Got myself a Cabrio (in 2018) and really love it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 14, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

What is the whole commercial even supposed to be about?

Moving the guy around and flicking him away?

I don't get it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pidan posted:

Zeit telling people not to travel:
https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2020-05/opportunismus-und-urlaub-klimakrise-kreuzfahrten-soziale-oekologische-folgen-kosten

On one hand, I kind of hate this new trend of phrasing all pandemic related articles as "some TOTAL IDIOTS are DENYING SCIENCE and BEING UNREASONABLE, but if we try to make sense of their deluded bleating we may interpret it as expressing some valid concerns, which they only have because they don't understand the following truth: ..."
On the other hand, if this makes "not traveling far" and "working from home" into markers of high status and good breeding, I guess I don't mind. More people should do that anyway.
Anecdotally, some people with a large-ish home/Wohnung with a garden and balcony (aka people in jobs with "high status") have found out that it is actually really comfortable to work from home and are looking to continue to do that. They are even figuring out that if they can get other people to work from home instead of in the office, they can actually save a lot of money by renting smaller offices.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Super great for those people, but it seems like it would put all the responsibility of setting up a work area that is conductive to working and conforms to Arbeitsschutzbestimmungen and whatnot on the shoulders of people who already lack the means to do so.
Oh, definitely a problem. Like I said - working from home can be great if you have the room for it. If you don't, it can suck.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, the problem with the heat is that the Borkenkäfer can spread even more. My parents live in the Rothaargebirge and even just the difference between last year and this year is ... troubling.
This is basically what it looks like all around. Everything brown is dead. Everything starting to brown will be dead soon.

The winter was so warm, that the Borkenkäfer could just continuously spread around. Basically, within the next few years the entire existing forests will be gone and have to be neu aufgeforstet.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ika posted:

Isn't it open source? I'm so tempted to check the amount of (non automatically generated) code and seeing whether each LOC cost less than or more than 100 euros. I should charge my boss the same amount!
Yes, completely open source with Apache License 2.0:
https://github.com/corona-warn-app

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It will be interesting to see if Tönnies will finally be kicked out of Schalke 04. There is a lot of anger still out there after last years racism scandal. This could be the final blow.

I hope he goes to jail.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hopper posted:

So... my parents for some inexplicable reason are driving to their summer house tommorow.
In...Sweden... Planning to stay until September.

But it is in an area with almost no cases, in a small town with 0 cases and they will not be outside except for shopping etc, you see.

There was nothing I could tell them that would make them reconsider, which is surprising because they have been really good at distancing and masks and isolation, but it seems they are adamant at going.

I even told them if they went, I would need access to all their documents insurance, bank locker, accounts etc. To try and dissuade them. On Friday we had an appointment at the bank where they signed full Vollmachten for me and they gave me a comprehensive list of all their insurances, running contracts etc. on Saturday.

So I stopped worrying and learned to love having access to my inheritance.

I genuinely don't understand how you can be so thorough to cover all eventualities and at the same time so careless.
My parents also went up to their cabin in Sweden and will stay up there for quite some time. However, that cabin is far out in the woods, the next house is hundreds of meters away, and the next town several kilometers. So, 99% of the time they won't be indoors with any other people. So, where really is a huge risk of getting infected?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I mean sitting at the cabin without going to a cafe or restaurant isn't exactly an amzing Urlaub
Freshly caught fish! Painting the cabin! More fresh fish! Expanding the cabin! Fish! Wandern! Fresh fish! Boating! Fresh fish! Building a playground (for next year)! Fish!

I think you get the idea ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, the problem is that as a privileged person you never notice the privilege. It's just completely invisible.

Just as an example, I was absolutely floored when a work colleague of mine described how difficult it was for him to get an apartment - even just getting an answer from potential Vermieter was quite difficult sometimes. I never had that problem. He has a foreign sounding name, I don't.

That's my privilege showing - but I never would have found that out, if I hadn't heard him complaining. Now in that case there was nothing I could do to help him, but it is still something worth acknowledging and at the very least not minimizing.

And then there is stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0sp0YcsH4&t=43s
This is something that basically every person with a "visible" Migrationshintergrund somewhere in their family tree faces. Even if they've been in Germany for several generations.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 7, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pidan posted:

Meat packing workers aren't exactly 20 year old fit people, lots of them seem to be 50+ and/or fat. They also appear to work in what is basically full PPE, so if they got it on the factory floor all hope is lost for our little cloth masks. Apparently there's a good chance they caught it in canteens or housing though.

Enjoy some meat factory vibes in this old Doku:
https://youtu.be/SSKpAxEa0Co

I'll just repost my summary from the Coronavirus thread of a study that came out a few days ago:

One of the larger outbreaks/superspreading events here in Germany was in a meat processing plant with more than 1500 cases being caused. A first preprint has now come out looking at it in some detail.

As people had pretty fixed working places on the processing line, they were apparently able to reconstruct the spread from the first the first case quite well.

Some highlights:

Investigation of a superspreading event preceding the largest meat processing plant-related SARS-Coronavirus 2 outbreak in Germany posted:

We describe a cluster of SARS-CoV-2 transmission in a meat processing plant that originated from a worker who had self-reported previous contact with potentially SARS-CoV-2 infected persons from another meat processing plant. Analyzing housing and commuting parameters along with spatial and climate conditions in the work area, this study provides evidence that transmission occurred over a radius of at least 8 meters around the index case, within a work area where meat is processed at temperatures around 10°C. [...] Physical work and relatively low fresh air exchange rates together with continuous re-circulation of cooled air may have favored the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the investigated work setting.

Two days later (Fig. 1B), two MPP-R [this meat processing plant] workers from the early shift (referred to as cases B1 and B2 in the following) reported to the management of having had a brief contact with employees from MPP-D [another meat processing plant that had had 94 out of 279 workers test positive] (D1 and D2 in the following) on d0, both of whom had received positive test results later that day (Fig. 1A). Cases B1 and B2 reported to have no symptoms.

B1 and B2 were tested in the company’s test center three days after the encounter (Fig. 1B). Because the contact with MPP-D workers was not classified as high risk, both continued to work. On the fourth day following the encounter, B1 and B2 received positive test results. [turnaround time of a single day!]

Indeed, subsequent serial testing by health authorities performed a month after the initial encounter identified more than 1,400 positive cases, constituting the largest outbreak in a German meat processing facility seen thus far.

Combined, the eight mutations therefore represent a novel sub-branch within the 20C clade that defines the prototypical viral genome signature of the infection cluster (submitted to GISAID, accession number 476705, strain id NRW-MPP-1). Whereas the B1 sequence is an exact prototype representative, we find an additional nucleotide exchange at 100% frequency (C7735T) in B2. The fact that this mutation is absent from the other samples rules out B2 as a possible source of the cluster with near certainty. [...] Taken together, these observations suggest prototype virus transmission by B1 as the common source of infection in the cluster. [so only one of the workers actually acted as a spreader]

Given the above, we investigated potential transmission routes between the suspected index case B1 and the other employees within the cluster. The universal point of potential contact among all cases was work in the early shift of the beef processing plant. The shift comprises 147 individuals, most of whom work at fixed positions in a conveyor-belt processing line. The processing line occupies an elongated area approximately 32 meters (m) long and 8.5 m wide (see floor plan in supplementary Fig. S1A). Quarters of beef enter at one end of the line (referred to as proximal in the following) and are processed as they move in longitudinal direction across the room, until cuts are finally packaged near the far end of the line (referred to as distal in the following). Eight air conditioning units placed near the ceiling in the proximal half of the room constantly cool the air. Fans project the air in a lateral direction, either directly from frontal openings in the unit or via perforated hoses mounted underneath the ceiling (see schematics in Figs. S1A-C), effectively sectioning the room into zones in which air is perpetually recirculated.

While data protection regulations do not allow us to indicate the precise position of the suspected index case, we can disclose that the individual occupied a fixed station within the proximal half of the room. Fig. 3A furthermore indicates the position of 86 employees relative to the suspected index case, along with test results and (where available) viral genotypes (see Table S1 for details). These 86 individuals include all employees with fixed work positions in the proximal half of the processing line (n=56), 22 employees with fixed work stations in adjoining areas, and estimated average location of 8 employees who typically move around the room during the shift (marked with an asterisk in Fig. 3A).

The map in Fig. 3A immediately suggests a spatial relationship between the location of the suspected index case and the SARS-CoV2 positive workers.
[Fig 3A:]

As shown in the distance matrix in Fig. 3B (see also Supplementary Table S2), the probability for spatial overrepresentation of positive cases is highly significant and reaches a maximum (p-val 2.33E-05) within a radius of 8 m (referred to as 8m area hereafter; note that while the 8m maximum reflects statistical significance of overrepresentation, infection rates per se are higher in closer proximity to the index case).
[Fig3B]

In addition to work area locations, we were provided with information on apartments (n=11), bedrooms (n=16) and carpools (n=9) shared among workers from the early shift. In Fig. 3C, we show a statistical overrepresentation analysis of positive cases in shared units (see supplementary material for additional information). The 8m area around the index case is shown for comparison. Positive rates were statistically significant only for a single shared apartment and associated carpool (a1 and c3), and a shared bedroom (r5). The fact that 5 of 7 members in a1/c3, and 2 out of 3 members in r5 have fixed work stations within the 8m area (Supplementary Table S3), however, suggests that high infection rates in these units primarily reflect the number of group members who work in close proximity of the index case, rather than resulting from independent infection chains within the units themselves.
[Fig 3C]

Hence, while some secondary infections may have occurred within apartments, bedrooms or carpools, our collective data strongly suggest that the majority of transmissions occurred within the beef processing facility, with case B1 being at the root of the cluster.

Discussion
Our results collectively point towards a superspreading event in the MPP-R beef processing plant that originated from a single employee. Our findings suggest that the facilities’ environmental conditions, including low temperature, low air exchange rates, and constant air recircularization, together with relatively close distance between workers and demanding physical work, created an unfavorable mix of factors promoting efficient aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 particles. It is very likely that these or similar factors are also responsible for current worldwide ongoing outbreaks in other meat or fish processing facilities.

In contrast to work-related exposure, shared apartments, bedrooms, or carpools appear not to have played a major role in the initial outbreak described in this study. Nevertheless, later viral transmission within shared living quarters or work rides very well may have been a confounding factor in context of the second, larger outbreak occurring one month after the first outbreak.

TLDR:
The biggest superspreading event in Germany was caused by a single worker in a meat processing plant infecting people up to 8 meters away because of a combination of low temperatures and constant air recircularization. So far more than 1500 cases have been directly linked to this. Fig 3A is the new air conditioning in a restaurant picture.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

MonikaTSarn posted:

I find this study questionable. How did they not mention at all the substandard living conditions the workers were in, or the cantina video ? Maybe workers on the same shift together were eating together as well, were being transported in to small vans to their homes together ?
They did look at the car pools and the living situation. The strongest correlation by far for early infection (by looking at mutations it was possible to somewhat figure out the timeline of infections) was proximity of the working station. The only significant correlation with regards to carpool and living situation also happened to be the same people who worked in close proximity together.

Researchers posted:

Positive rates were statistically significant only for a single shared apartment and associated carpool (a1 and c3), and a shared bedroom (r5). The fact that 5 of 7 members in a1/c3, and 2 out of 3 members in r5 have fixed work stations within the 8m area (Supplementary Table S3), however, suggests that high infection rates in these units primarily reflect the number of group members who work in close proximity of the index case, rather than resulting from independent infection chains within the units themselves.
In addition, they did mention the living conditions and the transportation:

Researchers posted:

Description of housing conditions, work area conditions, and working conditions
Housing conditions: Many of the workers share apartments and those usually commute together to their workplace in vans organized by the company. The company provided us with anonymized information about the housing situation of the workers regarding information on shared apartments, bedrooms and carpools. The largest housing unit encompassed seven workers for the initial outbreak in month 1 in the beef processing plant.
During breaks, the workers from a shift visit the canteen. Workers do not have fixed seats in the canteen. Supervisory staff does not spend the break times together with the production line workers. The supervisors do not share housing or transport facilities with the production line workers.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 28, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Smirr posted:

That's the split by apartment / carpool / etc. group. Look at r5, their one "significant" result. That's a sample size of three. Except there are repeated measurements (which makes everything a lot worse, although with a sample size of three it doesn't matter - it's all noise anyway). And you don't even know what the baseline for each group is, because:

With sample sizes that low, and overlapping multiple comparisons (that they appear to not even have tried to adjust for), p-values are completely, absolutely meaningless. They always are, but in this specific example, they are straight garbage. My advice, take the raw data (which is mostly meaningless because of the data protection issues - you don't know which positive tests occurs twice or more times in which specific groups) and ignore any significance thresholds. The proximity data from Figure 3a is the one thing in this paper I would say is useful (but it's also something we already knew). Figure 3c is :gas: (3b too, but that's such horseshit I didn't even try to parse it)
I agree that some of the parts of that analysis are silly - especially the the bedrooms (with 2 people in a room, no possible result could be "statistically significant"). As far as I can tell, that part was mainly about quickly checking if the living quarters, car pools, etc were significant.

However, 3B doesn't look that bad? Its a comparison of the actual distribution of infection vs distance in comparison to the expected distribution if distance didn't play a role.

Mithaldu posted:

Well, for the moment this is the wall the USA is driving straight at.

Not having a house.

Hmm, it would be interesting to know the "normal" numbers for that (pre-Corona). I can imagine it was already quite high.

Wipfmetz posted:

So "37% AK" means "37% of renter households in Alaska are at risk of eviction"?
What's the percentage of renter vs owner households in the US?
Roughly 2/3 owner, 1/3 renter.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 28, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hmm, looking here:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/07/upshot/millions-of-eviction-records-a-sweeping-new-look-at-housing-in-america.html

The highest cities they had there had a eviction filing right of more than 30% and an actual eviction judgment rate of a bit more than 10%.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sounds like a fair take.

For me the most important part of that paper is simply the evidence that there is nothing magical about 2m (or 1.5m in the UK, I think). Depending on the circumstances, Sars-Cov-2 will travel with the air flow, spread with the air flow, and infect with the air flow - even over larger distances.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pidan posted:

So the Corona app needs bluetooth on to work. But it's fine if I turn it on when I go out, and off again when I'm home alone, right? It won't delete my Corona meeting history out of spite?
That is correct. However, if using Android, because of Google, you not only have to turn on Bluetooth but also location tracking.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

When checking in and boarding the plane you do get better seats/more space for luggage. At least on flights without reserved seats.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Drone posted:

For some reason reminds me of flying into London City airport.

The utter terror of landing at LCY, with its tiny runway right on the banks of the Thames, is made up for by its utter convenience as the tiniest, best little airport there ever was.
I can still (vaguely) remember flying into the old Hong Kong airport 25 or so years ago. Slowly flying over the city, getting lower and lower, the wing tips almost touching the high rises before coming out and landing in the water. Simply terrifying.

Landing is from the left.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

I hope your Malay is not too rusty by then.
You mean Tagalog or Cebuano.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yup, 75 - 80% of ship crews worldwide are Filipinos (and roughly a third of ship officers, which really surprised me).

The Philippines has a huge amount of expats working worldwide - somewhere around 10% of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Putzhilfe und Schwarzarbeit: irgendwelche Tips, wie man das legal hinbekommt? Kann ich einfach mehr zu zahlen anbieten, damit sie sich ohne Verlust für die sozialversicherungspflichtig einstellen lässt?
Maybe look at this test from Stiftung Warentest?