Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So we know the actual development team making it? Has anyone played PB Winterbottom, can they testify how good that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Personally, I'm preparing for the eventual feeling of 'who's this douchebbag?' when it turns out I've completely forgotten some tertiary character that suddenly becomes plot-critical.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Okay this is pretty much exactly how it needed to return. To a T.

I also had to explain the joke behind Harry Potter Lord English to two of my friends, so that's good too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

A good poster posted:

Is Hussie also ripping on himself here?

I think it's more ripping on people who make fanfics with no actual plot, just (incorrect and shallow) character interactions.

I'm actually wondering how hard it is for Hussie to draw in this style. Every other style he's done I can see being pretty natural for him; even Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff wasn't 'bad drawing' so much as just going the extra mile to make it as lovely as possible. But this is just straight-up 'twelve-year-old's shaky anime drawings', and I can only imagine that being intentionally, genuinely lovely at this is really hard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm only here for the horse jokes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Everyone is different.

No two people are not on fire.

Awwwww.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Note Block posted:

Big ups to the Condense for continuing to be the best character in Homestuck

I forgot how great she was, right up until the Blingee Snap.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I didn't quite read the crowdfunding gag as a jab at his own Kickstarter (although I can certainly see it), I saw it as making fun of the overentitled assholes trying to crowdfund creative projects to replace their jobs, because they are an artist and don't want to work for a living.

With the rise of Patreon most of those idiots have moved there, so I think this joke's ringing a tad hollow just because the specific way it's telling it is a tad outdated. This one was clearly written before Patreon really started becoming a thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

RZApublican posted:

But there's no air in space :downs:

There's an air in space museum!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

Homestuck status: still too many drat characters. Kill them faster, Hussie!

Hussie could kill every single character and there would still be too many characters in Homestuck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

curiousTerminal posted:

Excuse you, the Mayor attaching the label to his sash was a reader command.

Pretty much the entirety of WV's character was user commands. I say a round of applause to whoever submitted 'be the mayor of Can Town'. because that one idea seemed to change so much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I say, picture Homestuck a bit like a series of Let's Plays. Since every session is different and has panned out differently, they're of course different kinds.

Beforus Trolls are like those Minecraft or Skyrim LPs that have a fuckzillion parts and never finishes.

Alternia Trolls are the day one LPs that skip cutscenes and probably tutorials, and then try to get the whole game done as quickly as possible so they can move onto LPing the next AAA game.

John's session is a blind playthrough that got hosed over by listening to someone he shouldn't, and maybe downloading a bad mod.

Jane's session is an old adventure game that tripped the copy protection, missed a crucial item, ran into an early bug, or some other thing that hosed over the playthrough. But they're not restarting, god damnit!

And Caliborn's is an absurdly hard challenge run that soon proved to not actually be that fun to watch, probably because the LPer is an insufferable screaming child who has an absolutely garbage recording setup.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why would you want that when Meenah can get revived instead, as she is similar to Vriska but far superior.

We've already got one living Meenah, I'm pretty sure the story's integrity can't take more than that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Is it weird that of all character interactions and relations in Homestuck, I feel most strongly about John and Roxy?

They just seem to get on really well, I just want them to hang out and be happy with each other for a while!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
John Egbert, Captain Planet villain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hussie's a genius.

That is all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just want to say that the term 'got tiger' is perhaps my favorite thing about the greater Homestuck 'mythos' at all. A single inexplicable typo from a single person gathered a life of its own, and is still being referred to by us... what, three years later? Long after the actual source is long gone.

EDIT: Okay, second favorite, after Pantskat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Indecisive posted:

I have no idea what the purpose of this update is

To enshrine Gilbert Gottfreid-Terezi as canon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Vriskatime isn't back. Vriskatime never LEFT!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
EDIT: ^^ Beaten, just, but there's one more.

Something a friend of mine pointed out: More changed aobut that scene than Vriska.

The original:

In the new version, Terezi's still blind, Rose isn't being supported by Kanaya, and Gamzee's nowhere to be seen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I very much doubt we're in for a year of a pause. Maybe a couple months, tops, (and that is a BIG estimation) but not a year. Keep in mind he thought he could get things out without a substantial pause with the initial update schedule; even if he both underestimated the work needed and overestimated the amount of content he had, that doesn't add up to 'we're waiting another year'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

sirtommygunn posted:

So when they were going to bust Jake out of Derse, why the gently caress did Vriska wait until Roxy got forked to do her sleep thing?

Dramatic timing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Fortis posted:

The way I always interpreted it is that if Vriska had actually stayed alive, her development from talking to John would have had a chance to stick, but she died and being the dreambubbles undid everything. Now she got to stay alive, so who knows how she turned out.

It's been a long time, but when she died, didn't she want to go on a human date with John?

How's she gonna feel when she finds out some recovering alcoholic from a not-even-beta timeline beat her to it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a reason that the mystery leader in Rose and Jade's story couldn't be the Mayor? Because he fits the "unexpected" bill perfectly.

WV's got both military and civil leadership experience. If anyone's capable of taking up the leadership, he's probably the most qualified.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Burkion posted:

Hussdate up. He talks about the new pause

In summary for those who don't check immediately, and/or are terrible people that hate Hussdates: 4/13.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Regy Rusty posted:

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Hussie literally just made a big, dramatic flash update based around this joke.

He's great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ElMaligno posted:

Its gonna be HorseStuck a touching tale of a male pony on his neigh day. Its going to be the remastered version of homestuck, but with horses.

Is there going to be one horsetroll that's really into humans?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

WAR FOOT posted:

Horrible Reread Realization: We met the Alpha kids in 20 loving 11. :negative:

Jane was introduced on the same day Skyrim came out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There are no mistakes. There are only isolated choices to read webcomics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

SynthOrange posted:

The only thing that kept bugging me was how quaint / nostagic / dated this all felt? couldnt shake that feeling of 'aww a homestuck battle flash'.

I liked that it was pretty old-style Homestuck, like just the sort of thing we'd get accompanying songs like Beatdown early on, only taken as far as absolutely possible.

And with a bit more... strength and structure to it? Most of the actual fighting felt a LOT like a good beat 'em up, rather than the more abstract yet still gamey ways a lot of those fight scenes were depicted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I think it says a lot about Hussie's creative process that this is the ending we got, when he's said this took him four years to plan and he knew how Homestuck was going to end from the day it started.

He was never talking about the plot. He was talking about the look, the cinematography, all of that. All of Homestuck was building not to a singular story point, but to shots he's had in his head for years. Even if I'm not super into the result, I can respect that as a creative process; he basically wrote all of Homestuck to give context to the frog birthing scene. Which was pretty great as both a journey and a destination, even if it fell short to what I personally was expecting.

The only thing I'd say I was genuinely disappointed by here was just that it didn't play to what I wanted to see, and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. I wanted to see Lord English actually get done in--not because I wanted another fight scene, but because I wanted to see the inevitable weirdness that did it that Hussie's shown himself to be quite good at depicting and handling.

Even then, I'm not completely disappointed by its absence, because in the time since Homestuck started and got me hooked with its Weird Occasionally Metatextual Spacetime Bullshit, a lot of other things have come up, mostly in the video game realm, that performed exactly how I liked to see. Yeah, maybe Act 7 did fall short of my expectations, but I'm also playing Bravely Second right now and still think about Undertale's endings on the regular, so I'm not starved for what I was expecting. I just want to be able to bite into the really pretty and candy-colored, gloriously complicated yet somehow totally structurally sound take on it that Hussie would've given us.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Black August posted:

I lost respect for the dude when he said writing was easy compared to art.

For him and his process, it probably is. Homestuck's story and writing was clearly all very stream-of-consciousness, he pretty much just put it all onto the page as it came to him, regardless of how much that made sense. But he's more of a visual guy, so he clearly put a lot more thought and focus into the art than that, thinking it over, revising, and practicing it far more than the writing.

I do find that approach a bit of a shame, yeah, but that's because I think he's actually got some fantastic ideas that would be put to great action by putting as much thought into their presentation as he does his art.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Karkat's purpose was mostly shouting. Shouting's hard, so I'll give him points for being so good at doing it at length.

And I still think a 'final battle' of any kind like that would've been disappointing, too. I feel like what we're really asking for is an ending more than just 'it ends', with some form of proper closure. I dunno if a fight would've been the most satisfying way to do that, because I think we also would've been disappointed to see that Lord English got beat by just being beaten up, but I suppose it would be more of one than we got.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Black August posted:

I just find it amazing that he made such a visually stunning ending that was worse than if he had just looped time back to the first page. Even that would have been more accepted.

Hell, right now I'll come up with a better crappy open ending with that exact idea. Time loops back to the first page. But it's the 4/10 flash beta page from 7 years ago. We come total full loop back to the very first red herring as Hussie explains that the 4/10 beta timeline is the actual, true timeline that all of paradox space just got reset to, and now we all get to imagine how thing go differently and make up our own Homestucks. The end, no moral.

Play Bravely Second, you might like how that approaches something similar.

Or you might hate the idea after seeing it play out. One of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Maleficent posted:

Now that I think about it Bec Noir's rise to power and conclusion all seemed more satisfying than LE's. Man, the more I think about it the more :smith: I get. Act 5 was peak HS, I agree.

I think Lord English's rise to power was just fine, except that it didn't really have a reason for us to... care.

Bec Noir wrecked house at basically every point in his ascendancy, things were climbing in both power scale and personal stakes. Lord English on the other hand was just sorta there, off doing his own poo poo, and he was honestly pretty harmless to where the actual plot was going on. Sure, he killed a universe, but everyone was already gone when he did it.

Caliborn's side of things was pretty fun, honestly, I was all on board with him being the big final villain, but we were missing any reason to stop him that wasn't his laughably lovely art.