Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What the hell is pinyin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Xandu posted:

The romanization system of Chinese characters.

Oh. And why would they use that instead of just using traditional characters?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arglebargle III posted:

:stare: Do you by any chance work for the Chinese government in some capacity? Because drat. I understand the rumor mill can cause trouble but are you really serious about eliminating anonymous speech on the internet? That would be (has been) considered an extreme breach of privacy on a video game forum in the U.S. much less the entire internet.

Notice his large red custom title.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arglebargle III posted:

The economic system yes; I like the moniker "Technocratic Authoritarianism" for the political system.

Oh god, the Politburo are all cyborgs? :ohdear:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

zero alpha posted:

This is a de-rail, but I'm wondering what role if any the US had in putting Pol Pot in power/allowing him to stay longer than he would have otherwise.

They tried to keep him from gaining power, by bombing the poo poo out of Cambodia during the Vietnam War and killing roughly 400,000 civilians. Why would they support someone they considered a communist?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe when people get more used to the idea of property markets they will understand how unfair and maddening it is to expect young workers to own an apartment in a major city before considering them responsible adults. People are still apparently flabbergasted by the concept that property prices can actually fall so clearly this is not a mature market. Hopefully as the market matures urban China will work its way out of this weird headspace they've managed to work themselves into.

Hmmmm, why does that sound so familiar?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ReindeerF posted:

Of redistributing it to Chinese workers instead of Americans :)

How come? They're still worse off than we are.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

synertia posted:

Everybody please check your privilege and stop talking about stuff because you're white.

Actually white people have been pretty bad throughout history and are still pretty bad!!!

seriously though, humans are terrible and we should all die

Can anyone recommend a book and/or documentary that covers the late Qing dynasty to the end of the Chinese Civil War? Preferably an introductory level one

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

whatever7 posted:

See my previous post about "The Fall and Rise of China" from The Great Courses/Audible.

Also go to edX and register for Harvard's China History courses. It's hands down the best produced online free courses I have ever watched. The first 6 courses cover from the legendary time to Qing. The next 3 courses will cover the fall of Qing to now.

The courses is so professionally filmed. You can cut the courses into a mini series and it will destroy any history documentary from History/Discovery channels and almost match the quality stuff from BBC.

Thank you very much. On edX, is it the "ChinaX" thing?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

whatever7 posted:

This actually happens alot. For example, the people who call themselves Hungarians have no relation to the Huns.

Actually they call themselves Magyars

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i have turkey but it's covered with greece :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Deleuzionist posted:

it's ok, you can still serb it

i was russian everywhere czeching to see if anyone wanted my greecey turkey but nobody wanted it. i guess iran all over the place for nothing

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Voting isn't really a day to day thing and most people in the US don't bother to vote anyway. I know I don't.

Well aren't we just cool as hell :allears:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Peven Stan posted:

Oh boy those wacky ching chongs and their herbs why can't they take real medicine for real people!!!!!

Yep

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

systran posted:

Imagine if America or Europe underwent the industrial and technological revolution in less than fifty years. You can stop imagining, as a place like this exists: it's my country. In China, someone born on a poor farm in Liaoning can go on to own a luxury car in a cosmopolitan metropolis such as Shanghai. Some people say that the American dream is dead, but in fact it lives on. In China. While China has its fair share of problems--and what country doesn't?--this quickly developing country is also ripe with many exciting opportunities for people from all walks of life.

Zhang Zhihong, 38, types on his smartphone while sipping tea poured from an Xixing pot. He is dictating to his secretary regarding the closing of a big business deal. Everything is on the line, but Mr. Zhang still has time for tea. His secretary tells him the client's new request for their advertising campaign. "Mao Dun!" Zhihong yells. It references a tale from China's rich literary tradition which spans 5,000 years: a tale of a merchant selling both impenetrable shields and spears that can pierce any armor. What if the spear were used against the shield? Mao Dun--spear, shield: contradiction. Zhihong doesn't like the client's suggestion and feels it is hypocritical. He opens a tab on his phone's browser and sets out to research a new strategy. The waitress pours him a new cup of tea. This contrast of traditional Chinese culture and modern technology is par for the course in my country.

Little Lei, 8, lives in rural Henan. His shoes are falling apart, but he's happy to have a full plate of food every day and parents who love him. In fact, almost his whole family lives in the same village, and they often meet together to gossip over a plate of cool watermelons. Little Lei doesn't usually understand the gossip, but he loves getting attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not everyone in Little Lei's family lives in the village: his paternal uncle made it big in Zhengzhou, and he's visiting today. Uncle Xie rolls into the village in his own car. It's shiny black all over except where dirt from the village road has soiled the area around the tyres. "Nephew!" Uncle Xie says, holding a bag. When Little Lei asks if his uncle brought him any gifts, Xie opens a box of fresh Nike sneakers, and Little Lei has a great day.

Jian Liyan, 19, has passed the National Higher Education Entrance Exam with flying colors and is now studying at Zhejiang University. As part of the freshman curriculum, new students are given the opportunity to take part in military exercises during their first summer break. Liyan crawls under an obstacle, then sprints across the field before scurrying up a wooden board with small footholds. Thousands of other students are by her side learning what it takes to serve in the People's Liberation Army. A girl doing military drills? Isn't China still developing? Well, while countries like the United States or Canada didn't have equal rights for women until the late 70's, with New China all genders were given full equality more than seventy years ago! Through the military exercises, these students are learning what it means for China to become a superpower, and what PLA soldiers must sacrifice in order to keep my country safe. The students are also strengthening their bodies to be in great shape both mentally and physically for their second year of university.

Yes, while China is developing very fast--and with that comes many advantages and disadvantages--I think that the advantages are so great that you must focus on the positive. All countries have their problems, some worse than others, but to see what my country has achieved in so little time is very amazing and makes me feel a great sense of patriotism. Maybe in your country patriotism is not held in high esteem, or maybe it's even seen as a bad thing, but in my language patriotism is "Ai Guo" which simply means "Love of my country," and I think loving what my country has done is the most patriotic action I can take.

source ur quotes

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chickenwalker posted:

Hi guys just dropping by to remind you China sucks.

every country sucks, humans suck, all is lost, hail satan

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloodnose posted:

New Delhi is probably my favorite nation on earth. After the great nation of Beijing, of course.

referring to countries by their capital cities irks me to no end for some reason (tehran seeks to contain baghdad! rising tensions between washington and moscow!!!)

augustus gluten posted:

I wish China would set aside it's petty border disputes with Japan and Korea and the Philippines and India, too.

I suggest an impartial "Pretty Borders" committee

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chickenwalker posted:

There's so many things wrong with China all I can do is say how bad it is. There are no redeeming features. The culture is toxic, the government is bad, the environment is worse. Medical and educational standards are piss poor, college graduates think computer screens can give you a tan, I've had someone insist that cats only eat fish.

People's tastes over there suck, individual morality is dead, nobody has any manners, they're all loving brainwashed by their parents into some 500 year old backwards mindfuck and then the government throws in too. I don't think I've ever met or even heard about a Chinese businessman who wasn't overtly crooked as gently caress.

The government will probably never reform and even if it does the national character will just mean it ends up being Russia 2.0. I could go on all day.

show me on the doll where Mao touched you

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

icantfindaname posted:

the lungs, also wherever it is heavy metal poisoning collects (nervous system i think?)

Nice! :pervert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Yeah I guess you're right. Reality doesn't matter, and the PRC literally could not be more corrupt.

:spergin: x 100

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Haha! I get it. I have Asperger syndrome because I won't go along with the crowd here and say China is on the top 10 worst countries list and instead say China's a pretty unexceptional country except for the amount of people it has. :newlol:

actually i think, maybe, the problem is you have no sense of humor

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Peven Stan posted:

Looks too well organized to just be a "spontaneous" display of activism for democracy. Who is passing out the water? Who organized the garbage collection points and supply distribution? I was in ferguson for the protests there last month and the difference is night and day. I'm not arguing that HK shouldn't have the right to self determination but overall how organized and well greased the protests are indicate some kind of western involvement.

Farecoal posted:

source ur quotes

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Smoking Crow posted:

So has the Mandate of Heaven changed yet or what

I dunno, did Puyi have any children

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

JaucheCharly posted:

Where do I put my monies to support you guys, so that you can hand out mountain dew?

Trying to sabotage the morale of the protestors, eh?? I'm on to you!!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloodnose posted:

Well they have tons of cakes, and I don't know how money would help anyone get a ride home unless you're handing out cash for cab fare (please don't announce to a big crowd of people that you're giving away cash), and the reason you haven't seen soft crap like yoga mats and blankets on the street is because it rains every couple of hours.

No one give this man money. Save your money. Or donate it to some other charitable organization that's set up to put it to good use immediately. Like that school in Haiti goons are always supporting. A lot less money will do a lot more good in other places in the world. Any money you give us to spend here would just end up in the pockets of tycoons anyway, who would then use it to pay triads to beat up protesters so it ends up being counterproductive in a weird way.

He's not saying you should give him money, he's saying you should give those things directly to the protestors

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How commonly is English used in Hong Kong in everyday use compared to Cantonese? Not very relevant I know

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

Propaganda is just a tool. It can be used for good or for bad. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Actually it makes every issue black and white and extremely simplified so yes it is bad

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ditocoaf posted:

I've been glued to this thread lately for Hong Kong updates. To what degree are the protests still going?

Well I don't know about that BUT HOW ABOUT WE TALK MORE ABOUT WHAT CHINESE PEOPLE DO AHHH YEAHHH

mainlanders drive like thiisss

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The US covers its fries in cheese and gravy.

Uh I don't where you've been in the US :barf:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloodnose posted:

Elite Marxist Civil Disobedience Mao's Red Book Guerrilla Tactics Insurgent Shifts Manning the Barricades Logistically Distributing Supplies From Each According to His Ability to Each According to His Need Tom Clancy Anti-Tear Gas Goggles Anonymous Guy Fawkes Mask Occupy All Street Hardcore Badass Protest Strategy

Mods namechange to EMCDMRBGTISMBLDSFEAHAEAHNTCATGGAGFMOASHBPS pls

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SedanChair posted:

Nothing says "accountable, first world institutions" like police and organized crime working hand in hand in the street.

I mean at least be subtle about it

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Communocracy posted:

God you are insufferable. How did any progress ever get made in this world with people like you naysaying anybody who stands up to authourity?

um please stop hurting the feelings of the Chinese people, thank you

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chickenwalker posted:

Did you guys know the Chinese used to have latrines that dumped into their pigpens? They fed their pigs their own poo poo. Some places in the countryside still do this.

Just in case you were thinking of getting a hotdog in China.

Energy is energy :shrug:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I wonder what Chad did to get on the wrong side of 1.3 billion people.

At least some of those countries still recognize the ROC as the legitimate government of China, Guatemala for example

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
It does go back up a bit with improved healthcare, welfare, and maternity leave systems though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Grand Fromage posted:

What if Mao was gay and black?

don't post my fantasies tia