Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hi! If I'm gonna be in Taipei for three days, what should my sightseeing stops be? Right now I have these down on my planning paper:

-CKS Memorial Hall
-National Palace Museum
-Longshan Temple

I also want to go see a nice park or garden, any recommendations there are appreciated. I'll be there in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

duckfarts posted:

a night market visit is required
foot or body massage might be good
huashan cultural park might be good, depends what exhibition is going on there
the zoo might be nice for your park visit maybe
maokong gondola

Thanks! Any recommended markets? What time of day is best for Maokong?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anytime but 2:00pm. That's when it rains.

So I'll bring a jacket.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently there are bars in Pingtung and they rule.

I can confirm that there are bars in Kaohsiung and Pingtung and they are tight. Also, does anyone want to invite me to the Line group? Username is the same as SA name, no capitals, no spaces. This island is tight, I want to move here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I get the impression the value of a CELTA jumps a lot if you already have a year or two's experience and want to make ESL teaching a long-term thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Slightly speaking of which, what are salary expectations like for ESL jobs in Taipei?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you're making less than 50k you're a chump and if you get the right job you can easily be making 65k or more. You will likely have to sacrifice location for salary.

When you say that, do you just mean "not downtown" or "not MRT-adjacent at all"? The Taipei MRT is so extensive compared to some places that I wouldn't, at first glance, expect it to be hard to find a job paying the right range that puts you on an MRT line.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there a local Craigslist-alternative that Taiwan uses? I don't see as much listed on Craigslist as I ought to. I'll be landing in Taipei looking for work mid-January.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sorry, that was unclear. I mean for housing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

getting a giant hard-on as a result of all the tears that are going to be shed

You must be a hit at funerals.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I read this as "mtgow" at first and thought it was gonna be a Magic Online thing

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I approve!

And if you approve of dating your (cram) school co-workers, you should feel bad about yourself. (Or else want to marry her.) Sorry. That's a hard and fast rule, and one that any decent school will put into their contract with their foreign teachers. And the guys that do that are basically the worst people I have met in Taiwan. Hands-down. Either big bloobs of alcohol that exude sadness (guy who took over a part-time job of mine back when I taught and proceeded to first date his Chinese co-teacher and then dump her and date the only other foreign teacher) or guys approaching or past 30 still living a frat bro lifestyle just trying to crush any and all puss in their vicinity and clubbing it up with local high schoolers every weekend. Which one is Moon Slayer? Oh, and are there more varieties in Taipei?

Also, I'm pleased to see that no one has defended co-worker dating. But I'm a little troubled that in your silence you are implicitly supporting people like Moon Slayer ruining their work environments. I'm just looking out for the naive little pup.

Thanks for getting the Hakka circle joke, though! You get into those circles by speaking the language. Maybe Mandarin will get you in at this point, but we all know none of you speak it, which means your crews consist of 哈洋 boys and girls (yes, I did just create my own 新詞 as far as I know) and they won't get you into actual local circles where it is all 哈日 and 哈韓 and where you might learn from the Hakka what they think of Mrs. Vegetable. Maybe because she's a southern Hakka she's been tainted by the betel-nut chewing Minnan horde down there? Who knows?!

You sound stressed. Have you thought about unwinding sometime, maybe cracking open a beer or ten?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Did someone mention bowling? I like bowling.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I like to go bowling and have beers. I'm sure pandemonium has strongly worded incorrect opinions about both of those things

It might be considered rude to bowl in Hakka circles.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

And girls sitting in bars are probably not the best targets in Asia for a number of reasons.

Wait, what do you mean?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How did you meet this very attractive girl? Was she sitting in a bar?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now I'm hung up on the mental image of a grown man fiendishly dunking on a Taiwanese woman and then going :smugdog: "Sorry lady, try not to cry like a little baby about it."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Who said she was playing? I don't remember the last time I saw a mixed game of douniu. The courts I play at have one or two baskets reserved for girls. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Sorry, I should have thrown a sarcastic emote in there to show that I was joking.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is this a preview of a page-a-day calendar? Which month will be devoted to relationship theories?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
"Poh-tay-toe poh-tah-toe," is the expression, surely?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Pandemonium, when can we expect your fantasy novel?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What exactly is tumblr tone policing supposed to be?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Google it, bro. Tone policing is when you don't address the content of someone's post but instead decide to focus all your attention on how the post is written. See Atlas Hugged's referral to his and my similar point that Taiwanese are more immature than Westerns generally speaking but how no one cared when he said it because he used an appropriate tone, yet when I said it--complete with the subtract 5 years of their age to reach their maturity level--I was met with a couple posters calling me a casual racist. Because, you know, my tone wasn't polite enough on SA.

Another way to think of it is getting all angry because of the presentation of an argument instead of the argument itself. Like what basically everyone in this thread has been doing for ten pages. In addition to about 6 pages of wagon circling around Moon Slayer's joke coworker dating post.

Why would I ever need or want the two to be separated? The way that you say something is part of how you communicate it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

But it should have nothing to do with the validity or veracity of your argument. Especially online. It's very much a bad idea to say "I'm not going to consider what you said because I think you said it with a bad attitude".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tone_argument
http://groupthink.kinja.com/on-tone-policing-why-its-bullshit-and-why-you-need-to-1148310719
http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness/2014/08/17/to-the-atheist-tone-police-stop-telling-me-how-to-discuss-my-abuse/
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tone+police

But you're not the only one here making the argument you're making. Other people agree that dating a coworker is bad without being abrasive... so why should someone listen to you?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I think you all missed when people were like "Sure sure I bet you were on a date. Like you could get a girl, you big goon" earlier in our very productive exchanges. And I thought it'd be cute to drop some real bombs on the circlejerkers in here. But it's okay. I know I've gone on about it too long.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just woke up and there's a girl in my bed that needs tending to.

Does she know you're bragging to Internet strangers about her? Does that seem cool to you?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I got you covered.

:pusheen:

It's wonderful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don't think we addressed my earlier question.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking of your earlier questions, apparently for papaya salad you want to go to Tonghua Street Night Market (Xinyi-Anhe MRT) and there's a stall run by a Thai woman called Joky that's right on your right at the intersection of Linjiang and Tonghua (it's in the part that looks like the leftovers from the actual night market on the left). As for just a legit Thai restaurant, there's a place called Khrua Chaikha (ครัวชายคา) located here.

Awesome, thanks dude. I knew there had to be some northeastern Thais who moved over here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

She's pretty cool. I think if I told her that I mentioned our date in a thread read by a handful of ex-pats she would say, oh 隨便, which means whatever for you 文盲 goons like Moon Slayer (that means illiterate, by the way), and she would have said it in either a negative or neutral-but-leaning-negative tone of voice. Then it would be forgotten as quickly as it was mentioned. I'm just guessing, though. You never know how Taiwanese girls will react, amirite?! (or any girls for that matter, amirite x2?!) :keke:

Okay, there's the answer. I just wanted to get your take on that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

What if she was sitting on a bar stool?

I don't know, you tell me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Depends on if she was in Asia or not I guess. Never really got closure on that bit of wisdom.

He could just mean that she's probably awesome at Connect Four.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What type is that?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'll feel bad if it turns out Pandemonium's first language isn't English because at this point that would explain a lot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TetsuoTW posted:

i just like to imagine it as one ship full of pirates pulling up alongside another ship and stealing it, except both ships are shaped like cocks and the pirates are sperm

See, this is the kind of thing they don't tell you about in health class in the US. What would I do without SA?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You're doing it in the other direction, like an ESL Benjamin Button.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean, is it a dude in drag or a transwoman? Not the same.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also does he or she know you posted here about your date?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No loving way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

You used cishet unironically. You done drank the kool-aid, friend.

Wait, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is "Sky Dragon Kingdom" the next album from that heavy metal legislator?