Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Playing on Mangler, name is Kerberos - level 9 DE Necro. Got a great group in Befallen tonight and went from level 5 to a few bubs from 10 within an hour, it was a lot of fun. Do we have a guild, and if so, who should I hit up for an invite?

Played P99 on an off over the last 7-8 years but never made it past 45 or so, last time i seriously played before that was on the EQMac AlKabor server. Not a whole lot going on for me right now so I can spare a few hours a night to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
50% bonus to XP, faction gain/loss, and rare spawn chance through Monday!

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-eggcellent-bonus-weekend-april-2019

Time to power through 48-50 on my Necro this weekend! I joined a guild, we raided Plane of Sky last night for my first time in 13+ years, it was pretty fun!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'm in From the Beginning, randomly got invited when I was leveling up in Unrest. They're actually a bunch of decent folks with the core officers coming over from Agnarr & Corinav. We've been raiding for the last couple of weeks, I hit 50 on my necro and promptly won an Encyclopedia Necrotheurgia on my second raid so I'm basically set for pet focus for a very long time. They are actively recruiting, we downed everything in Fear last night with the exception of Draco and CT and we took down Inny down over the weekend. Vox/Yael/Phinny tomorrow night, PoS this Saturday where we hope to down the spiroc lord (got him down to 20% last time) for farming. Anyway I enjoy this guild and we are openly recruiting.

I started up a 3-box crew of Monk/Shaman/Bard and twinked the poo poo out of all 3, up to level 16 now and I am focusing on leveling these guys when I'm not raiding. Getting ready for Kunark!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I swapped from my Necro to a Bard and left From the Beginning on Mangler and joined Midnight Rations as the raid times (PST) better fit my work schedule (Thanks, onesixtwo!). I have my 6 man box team up to level 58, pushing for 60 this weekend then will attempt to finish up 6 howling stones key quests by wasting my life camping the Chancellor at the Sarnak fort in LOIO, what a lovely camp that is right now. After that I will focus on VP key for my bard, getting all my my epic drops and camping up some rare items / continue raiding.

Having a ton of fun reliving all of the raid fights, doing dungeon runs, helping out guildies, doing my epic quests, etc. It's really enjoyable!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MrSargent posted:

Welcome to MR! My characters are Blaine/Wobbles (54mnk/shm) and I am constantly LFG.

Hah, I didn't know you were a goon, I definitely recognize Blaine, likely grouped at some point with my necro Kerberos. I'm on Deftone now. MR is a great guild so far!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I've had the urge to play on a TLP again and was hoping there would be news of a new one soon, definitely going to check this out. Combination of random loot and free trade sounds like it's going to be both interesting and an economic nightmare!

Edit: I'm fuckin pumped for this total shitshow but also probably the best TLP!

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/eq-tlp-mischief-free-trade-random-loot.12847/

https://twitch.tv/videos/1002115500 (starts about 8 minutes in, Zaide is kind of a shithead but he does know a lot about EQ)

https://twitch.tv/videos/1002115500?t=3061s - "We can talk dragonslayer to dragonslayer, let's be casual, there's no shame in it."

Also apparently an open source version (another one!) of MQ2 released a few weeks ago that works on TLPs, anyone have any info on that?

We still have a discord?

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 28, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Solarin posted:

MQ2 usable on truebox being widely available would be the best possible thing to happen, because they might actually be forced to act on it. Mass warping and bots have been a fixture of these servers since Agnarr and never taken seriously

I agree with you but I doubt anything will come of it, the warping and far-taunt is bullshit. I'll just stick with adhering to truebox standards of using a handful of old machines and Multiplicity to control them all without the additional bulk of the keyboards/mice to do so. Most of the fun of these TLPs to me is boxing whole groups (and dropping members when goons/friends want to hang out with me).

I'm still trying to decide what to play. On Mangler, for farming I was rolling a mag/mag/wiz/enc/clr/shd group with a raid bard (my raid main) out of group with that sweet sweet Lcea's mana/hp regen song. Lcea's was so drat good, I should just roll a bard main again. Shoutout to onesixtwo, maybe I'll just single play a necro! So op in the first few expansions.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 29, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

do the usual P99 etc recommendations for duos etc apply on TLPs? or has live diverged significantly enough that there are other better sources of info ? I assume they still don't roll back zone files like Freeport and Commonlands?

thinking about getting an all-access account for this TLP and rolling either a SHM/MNK or.... something with a buddy. I'm pretty used to 2 or 3 boxing now, so going back to a 1box might mean I'm playing BRD or ENC or something. Dunno! recommendations appreciated!

SHM/MNK is still a solid combo, both are great classes. Monks remain decent through the first few expansions (I tend to quit before PoP, hopefully not this time!) and shaman are always awesome. I was thinking of maybe duoing ENC/CLR but charmed pets had their damage reduced recently (they still make the best pets though, even after the nerf) so I'm not sure I want to go that route. SHM/SK is also a great combo.

When I started on the last TLP I played, Mangler, I solo'd a necro in classic and started raiding, then geared up a SHM/MNK/BRD trio when Kunark dropped, leveled up to 60 and switched my raid main to the bard. That was a great little trio IMO, but not having ports in the first few expansions was really annoying so I eventually switched to a 6 box crew before burning out just before Luclin unlocked. I'm still undecided on what I want to play this time, but I'm happy about the faster expansion unlocks because I really want to go through the PoP content again. I will probably keep my box crew to 3 or less though, juggling 6 was a chore.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BabelFish posted:

I came back to the game after over a decade away for Aradune and played for about a month before the server woes drove me off. Played an enchanter but never enjoyed charming. Going to try again for Mischief, was thinking of group tanking.

Are there any grossly over-used classes in the TLPs? Does it even matter? I'm considering SK, but they seem to be by far the most common suggested tank in early expansions? Was also looking bard with a boxed cleric and tank (I was considering warrior but everyone says they're terrible outside raids?). It would be super casual, I don't expect I'll ever have the ability to commit time to raids.

I think all of the INT casters seem to be the most commonly played on early TLP servers since they can pretty much level without issues with no gear at all. Warriors are indeed terrible outside of raids, especially before they get Defensive, they have lots of trouble holding aggro and leveling one up in a fresh TLP with no gear is mind-numbing. SKs are the most recommend because they hold aggro very well and can actually put out some decent damage, plus they can pull decently with feign death when necessary. Eventually Pallys catch up to SK's tanking and aggro holding abilities I think in SoL or PoP. Consider a ranger as an alternative to SKs, they tank well enough and have decent mobility, do good damage, and eventually become a great pulling/kiting/dps class in SoL/PoP.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

ist posted:

I'll be 4boxing in Mischief, but I'm a bit indecisive on what I'm actually going to play and I really have no clue what my leveling route will be. I'll be playing 16-20 hours per day so ideally I'll get ahead of the pack early on... but I'll still fall behind a bunch of the other groups I'm sure, since I'm 4boxing and most of the other no-life groups will get to the best camps first.

I'm most likely going SK + enchanter + cleric + mage. I've considered swapping the SK out for the druid since I'll be able to farm enough krono to gear out an SK by the time kunark comes around, but there is at least one camp spot I want to farm early that I don't think I can pull without FD. Druid would make so many things a whole lot easier though... Swapping out the mage for a druid is another option, but I think I'd fall behind too far without mage carrying me 1-20.

As far as race/starter zones, really no clue. I 6boxed on Rizlona but I wouldn't use the same route on a more crowded server. 3 HIE + a human SK and gfay/CB/UR? 4 humans in Qeynos/qhills/bb/(????)? 4 DE and nektulos/lavastorm? Comedy option of 4 erudite? Anything west of the commonlands seems like a bad idea without a druid box, but starting in nektulos/gfay/commons seems like a bad idea because of the crowds. Then again, I have no clue how population will be distributed since I've always leveled early on TLPs in either steamfont or qeynos.

I guess the most important thing is getting all 4 of my boxes through the queue... I'd look for a puller+1 to level with me, but I don't think there's much point in forming a static if there's a chance that I'll only be able to log on 0-3 of my 4 boxes at launch.

Qeynos I think might be the best place to start on this TLP due to the crowds, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the most popular TLP by far. +1 vote for SK/ENC/CLR/MAG, that's 2/3 of my group makeup when I six boxed, I just added another mage and a wizard for the DPS and ports, all Dark Elves.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

how much does one need to play to sustainably farm krono on a TLP? like what's the average plat:krono ratio on a new TLP server by the time, say, velious rolls around? (You can pay money for them and trade them for plat right?)

I am completely new to this but the idea of farming to sustain my addiction pleases me.

also how do you guys box on a Truebox server? do you literally have another PC with a KVM switch, or VMs, or is there some TRICKERY employed? or does DBG just not care?

Farming krono is bullshit to me and not worth the time compared to even working a minimum wage job, in my opinion, but I understand it may be a decent choice for people who are unable to do so and that's cool. I wish I could play EQ all day and make decent money.

Who knows how much krono will be worth on this server due to the fact that it's free loot + random drops, it's a new frontier, but I suspect Krono here will be worth nowhere near the other servers. The biggest krono farmers run MQ2 and have dozens of bots running around multiple camps at all times farming up all the loot. I think this new Mischief TLP is an effort to prevent that slightly with the free loot + random drops.

As it's a Truebox server I've actually followed the rules and have had up to 8 actual physical PCs for my box crew, but I've controlled them all with Multiplicity and HotKeyNet from the same KB+mouse.

I hear MQ2 has a new open source build that runs on Truebox servers and I'm very interested in learning more about that myself. I never play unattended and I just want to make my life easier while running a 6 box team to gear myself up, camping single locations as opposed to holding down several pickzones to farm krono.

Here's my last setup from Mangler:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

cmdrk posted:

That's about what I figured. What prevents people from just.. KSing the botters? Are they just so overpowered that the money mobs are oneshot? I'm so out of the loop, I don't understand that aspect at all.

But cool. I can't imagine putting more than 3-4 hours/day into EQ because of $JOB, but my NEET pals might enjoy the prospect of mining for Krono to keep the sub going. More likely I'd be the one feeding money into the machine to get sick loots.

That's awesome. Each account is a separate sub though, right?

DPS is king, there is nothing stopping you from KSing these days, on any server. If you can out-DPS the bot camps then you win the loot, period. I believe that is the official stance as well. But this particular server the hot camps wont be so hot due to the random loot, encouraging people to try other camps and explore everything/anything.

I hope that it's a truly random loot pool, and not just a swap between things like the froglok shin lord's loot is swapped with the efreeti lords' drops and vice versa, but that anything in the 45-50 level can drop any other mobs loot table, etc.

Also I hear you on being the one that feeds the money into the machine, this is how DBG/whatever they are called now make money. Gimme my 40 slot bags and race changes you bastards! I just wish you could move characters between accounts.

Edit:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know about mischief, but by the end of vanilla, I had around 8ish krono from just selling random loot and potions. Kunark, maybe 12? Velious 16? And then in Luclin I made another 10.

I didn't really do much speculation, and I didn't flip poo poo in the tunnel. I think if you're playing and active, it's fairly easy to make krono to keep the sub free. If you're trying to ectunnel and make $$$, it starts getting harder.

I think paying for your own subs with loot is totally doable! But trying to make more than that is a huge chore.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Doctor Party posted:

The problem is you can't KS the bot crews unless you happen to have more dps than them. Generally speaking they'll be a max dps group. Maybe it's six wizards or necros or whatever is top dps for that point in the game in a group with a second group for healing tanking etc. You're not gonna ever out dps them.

There also maybe a random dude running four to six characters that make sense as a group. Like cleric, tank, crowd control, porter and two dps. That guy isn't maxing out his krono farming capabilities he's just botting to have fun and be independent of needing groups etc. And he's not necessarily perma camping stuff.

The hard-core bot group krono farmers are gonna have max dps groups to avoid being out dpsed.

Exactly right, and you describe what I try to do in your second paragraph exactly. Playing a full group independently of others. I am not trying to hold down every single loving pickzone, just running a group by myself for the challenge, and I'm still getting out dpsed by the botters that run crews of 4-6 man groups in every single pick.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I've been getting my multi-box setup ready for next week and I discovered that the HotKeyNet domain/website appears to have expired and now redirects to an awesome self-actualization website. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find documentation on how to use the software since all of my old scripts were on a hard drive I wiped last year and I can't reference them any more. I was able to find a copy of the software on one of my boxes but no scripts to be found.

So far I've just found a few threads on dual-boxing.com with some example WoW scripts I can maybe piece things together with, if anyone has some sample HotKeyNet scripts for multiple PCs playing on a TLP would they mind PMing me? Thanks!

Also do the latest versions of Multiplicity suck or is it just me? I don't remember connection issues being so common ~2 years ago (version 3.4?) when I last used it. Still using the same PCs and switch and everything but I find my mouse/kb get stuck on other machines pretty frequently, requiring a logout of the main PC via ctrl-alt-del.

Edit: vv PM sent!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 21, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190102122250/http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/functions.html

PM me here to remind me when I get home and I’ll help you out with scripts.
You can still PM me, but the link should be the page you’re looking for.

As for software kvm, I use InputDirector. It’s not without its own quirks, some of which are nonstarters for some folks, but I don’t have networking or reliability issues with ID like multiplicity seems to have.

Nice. Thanks, Wayback Machine!

Edit: Input Director is waaaaay better than Multiplicity, thanks for the heads up!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
What I'm finding is that disconnections for your boxes seem to be much more frequent than they used to be. Otherwise I'm all logged in and was able to get all of my 6 boxes setup and running around West Freeport killin rats and snakes! I have been working on my HotKeyNet macros and my boxes keep getting the shaft, so will be playing with that for a while.

Lots of people talking poo poo about boxers and being otherwise terrible in general chat so as usual, general chat is to be avoided.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I found the old EQ TLP Goons Discord link: https://discord.gg/EQ4suQ8

Not at all active but it's there if we want to use it!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I got all setup to 6-box and started on ThornBlade, played for about 12 hours on the bonus XP holiday weekend, got up to level 20 and haven't played since. Having 6 computers on is just pumping a ton of heat into my room and with summer starting it's been extremely hot in here lately. Plus running 6 boxes in general is just a huge chore, even with automation tools.

However, Kunark drops a week from today so I was thinking I'd give it another shot and re-roll on Mischief with some Iksar boxes. Maybe cutting it down to just 3, SHD/SHM/MNK, or adding 4th box for ports or a bard. But that's usually a slippery slope for me because I'll want to be able to res and maybe have some CC down the road so I will inevitably end up adding additional boxes and burning out again!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Floob posted:

I am by no means an expert on boxing, but I do have several copies of the EQ game folder on my main PC so I can access multiple accounts at once. Does that help you at all? I usually just do that for buffing and teleports, but in a pinch I can switch back and forth between two screens and duo ok on one rig... A friend of mine paid for 4 lifetime subs when they went on sale. I just got one, I think he's crazy dropping that money, but for things like this, it's awesome.

Unfortunately the "TrueBox" TLP servers do not allow multiple clients to connect from the same machine, they do allow multiple actual physical computers (not virtual, they can detect VMs) to connect and play from the same public IP address though, hence the name.

There are tools that allow you to control the other PCs from your main PC, things like Multiplicity allows you to move your mouse and keyboard between each. Then hotkey broadcasting tools like HotKeyNet allow you to send commands to the other PCs to activate in game macros, etc. This is how must people box on TLPs.

I understand the tool MultiQuest 2's source code was recently leaked online and there are some versions of it that work on TrueBox servers now but I've never messed with that program since it's full blown automation and has some very hacky things you can do with it. I would be interested in trying it out if I can get my hands on a copy, though. ;)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Tabletops posted:

thats wild, how do they detect that through a VM?

As far as I know they mostly just used to use MAC address detection but some time in 2019 they added additional checks that can determine common drivers / hardware IDs of virtual hardware I would imagine.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

diapermeat posted:

That'd be awesome, I'll keep my eye out. I was in MR for about a month during kunark but then the wife ended up in the hospital with complications from our first so that ended that dream. Then was in SoE on Aradune into Mediumcore for a bit, but their raid times are 730pm pst, just a bit too early for me, was always late.

I'm up for a return to the next TLP depending on the ruleset, Midnight Rations on Mangler was some of the most fun I've had in 22 years of EQ. Spending time camping all of the good poo poo with a 6+ box crew in classic and kunark while shooting the poo poo with onesixtwo and other goons in Discord when I was supposed to be working was great.

Looks like the 64-bit client is messing with Input Director and Multiplicity and is sending right clicks to both the the main PC as well as the destination, same with the scroll wheel, though I swear this has always been an issue with ID.

I started up a beastlord on Firiona Vie this weekend for funsies, had a krono laying around so I sold it for 5.5 million plat and had fun twinking myself. Went 1-60 in 24 hours 15 minutes /played time with my merc and I am having a fun time.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Back in the day I quit once GoD hit on live and have not yet played a TLP past Luclin. I'm honestly interested in Vaniki because I feel a lot of folks will be out of their element and it will be interesting learning old poo poo we've not experienced before together. Running older raids with a large group of 40s actually sounds kind of fun.

To me, Vaniki seems like a TLP that is trying to get classic players to check out the later expansions they've traditionally disliked, maybe they can make them more interesting / suck less if more players are in that era?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PyRosflam posted:

Thory Crafters think the fast way to go on Vaniki is to get to 15 however, then LDON to 40 / 50.

Sounds about right to me, a lot of people hate on LDON but it was actually kind of ground breaking at the time and I hear it's the way to go for those levels (and into the 70s?) even on live severs if not running a heroic character.

cmdrk posted:

So frogs and berserkers and stuff will be available day 1 on Vaniki? That kinda owns

Yep!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Well that is interesting, I wonder if some of the push for a 64-bit client, aside from bringing it into the modern era, was to allow the official use of multiboxing on one box.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MF_James posted:

I mean, every guild that raids on Mischief uses it, as well as every large boxer and krono farmer, that makes up a large percentage of the population. I have a computer "dedicated" to it.

I also had one of my 9 physical boxes dedicated to ShowEQ back on Mangler, it's pretty drat useful.

Definitely not going hardcore boxing this time around, probably just a Monk/Shaman if I play on Yelinak.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Apparently most of these last few ban rounds are just 7-14 day suspensions and not outright bans?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

RCarr posted:

Bard is fun as hell and can do everything. Be a bard. Gotta go fast.

I've always liked playing a mnk/shm combo but solo brd is best class indeed, raiding and getting one of the best buffs in the first 4 expansions (Ancient Lcea's Lament) to use to support your guild/boxes with loving rules. Also definitely gotta move fast!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I was somewhat interested in the new TLP but honestly it sounds like it's going to a miss from me at this point based on the news about it so far. I might still check it out so I broke out the old hotkeynet scripts I had created when playing back on mangler and setup a little 4-box crew on Mischief to get back into the swing of things over the weekend. Back when I did play on live I quit right around the time DoN released so I am actually somewhat excited to try the current and upcoming content on Mischief.

I ended up trading a krono I didn't know I still had on one of my accounts and twinked out my little group. So far it has been a ton of fun, got up to level 57 last night in Grieg's End, running SK/SHA/BRD/MAG and grouped with a couple of other people in the zone for a few hours. I would like to try raid content when I hit max level but I have doubts I'll be able to get into a guild doing any current expansion raids just because I will be so far behind on AA, maybe they'll be desperate for one of the classes I'm playing and would make an exception.

Speaking of AA,

koreban posted:

If someone’s been pretty diligent up though GoD of keeping their AAs high/near maxed, they should easily max them in Omens. Especially if DoN is coming out at the same time. DoDh is where easy XP really blows up and keeping multiple characters maxed is trivial. I think I had blown over 1000AA worth of glyphs by the time we got to the end of DoDh. I was using them on trash pulls during PoR because I had nothing better to do with the AA xp.

What makes DoDh an XP fountain and is it something I can take advantage of with my small group of bazaar / defiant geared boxes? I've been looking around for guides / info on good spots to level up post-60 and most things I find say to stick with old expansion zones.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

I didn’t have a monk in my last box crew (SK/cle/dru/shm/ber/brd), but I did do entire zone pulls of elder longshadow and killed them all at once. If riposte got nerfed, either it was since July-ish 2021 when I stopped playing EQ, or it didn’t matter much to SK crews.

Fibblebrap 5 would be easier nonstop xp for a 4 box group.

So I ended up running a 6-box crew on Mischief, SK/SHM/BRD/DRU/MNK/MAG, we're all level 74 now and will hit 75 tomorrow, mostly been leveling in paw and are pretty well geared. I've seen a few people pulling the entire zone and killing everything at the same time and I'm trying to figure out how they're doing it, just now I watched a 75 bard pull everything and I think he was running denon's bereavement, zuriki's song of shenanigan's, a haste song, and veshma's lively crescendo. It looks like he had skin of the reptile cast on him and was getting constantly healed from it while aoeing down the group of mobs. I feel like I should be able to do this with my group but I just don't know much about the era after PoP, it seems like there is so much information that is hard to find online because it's still so old, but after the point where most TLPs population drops like a rock. I imagine I'll need to grind out some AAs before I can get to the point where I can start swarming for tons of xp, I would really appreciate any tips or other information!

Been looking into the missions for DoDH because paw is constantly camped and I have to get in there early in the day to secure the 3-way spot. Do I really need to sit there and kill the same 9 creep reapers to grind Expedition 328 faction before I can start the fibblebrap questline?

The Buried Sea releases on Mischief in two days so that's another expansion I'll be learning about, I hear bard DPS really takes off with this one. Luckily I've got my group all leveled up and hope to get my SK into a raiding guild here in the next few weeks. How are the guilds on Mischief, if anyone here is still playing? Any recommendations?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Thank you both, koreban and Solarin. I only need 30 more faction to start the fibblebrap quests and I'll look into the PoR spell questlines here later today. Looks like I should have a decent group for DoDH grinding here!

Any tips on gearing? So far I've just been buying things listed as BIS on EQitems.com, I hear culture armor + augs are the way to go? Finding info on augs is a chore from what I've found so far.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
God drat fibblebrap 4 is loving garbage. Took about 2 hours of just trying to get into the place with a whole bunch of deaths, now I'm continually wiping just in the entrance from horrible pulls. My EQ game is loving weak.

Thanks for the tips about gearing.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Yiggy posted:

As for moving around illsalin and lots of DoDH in general (presuming that was the zone? Based on zone in for FF#4), since you said you had the mage, you can stack mage self improved invis with your shadow knights IVU. It’s not as good as sun cloak but it still is p effective for dropping your mage somewhere and cothing in the calvary.

I forgot about this until my second corpse run but makes sense, will keep that in mind next time. I did manage to get into the instance then worked carefully to split pulls with the monk and managed to get to the end before wiping during the last fight. Was hoping to take out the guards in the final room before Bilitan spawned but I hit the 35 (40?) kills right after coming up from the water tunnel into the final area and he spawned right in front of me.

I've been used to easy mode fights from 1-74 and now getting into the harder things is having me re-evaulate the slow everything then tank and spank method I've been using thus far. I should probably start using the bard for pulls and CC instead of just being a mana battery. Also I really need to gear up the SK, I thought he was pretty well off but I seem to be lacking the AC and HP needed to survive these fights, I have zero augs on any of my characters other than weapon procs.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Awesome, thank you! I'll see about hitting up riftseeker's tonight, I found a little guide for that exact camp too. Should hit 75 there and I have some 75 gear pre-purchased which should help with additional AC but I'll start looking for augs anywhere I can. All of my casters already have focus effects for 70-75-spells so I'm pretty good there, monk has cleave VI and ferocity V as well, he puts out a ton of DPS, about 50% of my group according to parses, at least while I was in Paw. I'll be looking to get reptile, sloth, and decrepit skin ASAP!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
What a god drat pain in the rear end this was!

I snagged a couple of the AC augs from Riftseeker's Sanctum, got all my boxes to 75, picked up some better gear, found some more cheap AC augs, and finally managed to beat these 3 quests!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

You will not regret it. Promise.

Alright, having a geared SK with decrepit skin + druid reptile + mage/druid/bard PB AE in Fibblebrap 5 is pretty great. I only just tried it out for a few minutes and I have some macro optimizations and probably spell optimizations with my group to do but this seems amazing so far. My poor shaman doesn't much to do, most of the work seems to be coming from the mage/bard damage shield with a little help from the monk and SK melee damage.

Thanks all for helping me get here! Any tips on optimizing AE damage to go along with the damage shields?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Mischief was amazingly popular, wasn't it? Seems weird that they haven't done a tlp with that ruleset again.

It still seems amazingly popular as far as I see. I just got my bard into a raiding guild and my first raid is tonight, I am really enjoying the loot rules and twinking new characters with raid level loot is really addicting. Them going with a mostly vanilla ruleset with a half-baked anti-KSing system seems like a big step backwards, it's really mind boggling. They didn't even mention FTE in the news update released yesterday.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I think I've gotten bored of Mischief after a month and I'm kind of interested in seeing how much of a shitshow Oakwynd is going to be. I feel out of my element playing on any EQ server post-PoP, even though the no-drop and loot rules of Mischief are really enjoyable for me. I wish I had stuck with it when it first released instead of trying it out now.

Will probably end up 6-boxing on Oakwynd next week, probably my usual group makeup of SK/SHM/BRD/DRU/MAG/MAG. I've always run a classic "holy trinity" group makeup when boxing but am curious about other group makeups. Maybe main an enchanter with a cleric/bard/other caster boxes and no tank? Not sure how that would go, does anyone else run a non-tank/non-standard based box group?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Wow the UI changes are terrible. The flashing of the whole UI when opening/closing bags is really bad, the font in parts of the UI is super blurry and kind of hurts my eyes to read. The inventory window is now forced on top of everything else. When I click to buy a stack of something from a vendor, hitting enter no longer purchases it at the default quantity which is small sounding but super annoying. Folks with AMD based cards are having more issues than others, especially on-board graphics. Entirely white windows, DLL errors causing the game to not even load. The UI conversion tool they included apparently won't install and says it needs a specific version of .net even if it's already installed. People are saying that alt-tabing now between two full-screen windows takes 2-3 seconds longer than before the patch. Increased CPU usage, sorting times of things in the UI like alt currency and guild member lists is really slow. When moving things around my inventory I randomly get the last moved item's icon stuck on my mouse cursor after clicking it into another slot.

It's like they didn't do anything to fix these issues from the two months it's been on the test server at all. I am not hopeful for Oakwynd, it really feels like there's only one or two devs who don't even play the game.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Malaria posted:

I also really don't think Oakwynd will be a poo poo show. It's looking the FTE stuff is basically gonna be working. Shouldn't be that bad. The sever has some cool rules too, with character based instead of account based AoC lockouts.

I'm gonna 4 box a team of Paladin(main) and Bard/Druid/Mage. Will probably roll a SK later on the account with the Paladin for sharing heriloom raid stuff.

I hope it's not a shitshow but I really don't have much faith in their ability to not screw things up.

FWIW I really enjoyed playing a paladin for my tank when I did back on Mangler. I felt it was just as good at pulling and maintaining aggro as my SK was during classic, it's just not as good at pulling as an SK because of FD.

MF_James posted:

If you don't want to be stuck with the broken UI changes, you need to use a "custom" UI.

Cool, I do run a custom UI on my main box and mostly noticed the garbage on my other machines, I'll have to do this. Thanks!

Waroduce posted:

Pet groups are super strong and usually very fast. I mained a bard while my friend mained a chanter. We were a pretty dangerous duo but we befriended a cleric/enchanter boxer in like Mistmoore who we ended up grinding through low 40's with before we went to the hole. You really only need the cleric/enchanter duo to be a leveling powerhouse though. Where you level is largely dictated by the chanter pet since it does insane damage in classic. You move as the enchanter or mage can get better pets. Pet tanks everything, use snares/root if the cleric pulls heal aggro. If you level where undead are like unrest and mistmoore and guk the cleric is pretty viable damage too i think. Some people like slotting a pally in for heals/rez.

It can be a bit annoying to pull and keep an eye on pet breaks and health bars though. You can fill this out as you like but a bard to lull, pull, sing and give you an extra mezz button is nice. How deep you get with the bard vs set it and forget it melody + autoattack is up to you. I main bard and I enjoy pulling group content so the cleric/enc boxer and my friend could just do caster things and mezz the +1/2's I'd serve up on the exp train. The bard also offers nice quick CC on enchanter pets.

I recall this group comp from this video being pretty interesting even if you aren't rushing. The first maybe 2mins is about the group comp.
snip
Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Mage, Necro, free slot

Usually the free slot is your puller. Bard is super strong for regen, run speed, and very fast pulling. Mage/Enchanter good for more damage. If you want a taunt button SK is pretty good and can pull too.

I might roll a monk or pally. Those seem interesting...maybe box w/ a bard/shaman/wizzy or something to give that a shot. I've heard Monk/Shaman is a really easy starter set up.

I'd be open to some launch weekend grouping though, its always more fun with people and I wouldn't mind just doing a single character either.

Yeah I've always liked the "passive" dps of pet heavy groups and not having to worry about positioning melee. I had a group on Mangler with an enchanter box charming and setup macros to quickly AE stun, quick mez, malo, heal the enchanter, and re-charm when charm breaks that worked pretty well, my main issue with charm pets is needing to be always on the ready in case charm breaks. I like to be able to afk or have the EQ window in the background while watching a video or looking something up and not having to worry about a charm break. I watched Zaide's video and he does have totally valid points about the enchanter (and possibly 2 enchanters) but he is grouping with actual people and not boxing so they can handle charm breaks much more easily.

Completely agreed that playing with others is way more fun than not doing so, I'd be up for some grouping!

diapermeat posted:

I've had great success with SK/SHM/Bard/Monk/Monk/Monk. Once you get monk epic's your dps is awesome, and super easy to position an all melee group/don't have to worry about range.

My current group on Mischief is SK/SHM/BRD with a monk, rogue, and ranger for DPS and I kind of regret not doing 3 monks due to having to position for the rogue and the ranger not being at its best without actively casting spells. I think a 3 monk group would be my second choice after DRU/MAG/MAG as I like having a porter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Waroduce posted:

I made a little personal server back in the day for eq grouping on yelinak launch. Seems like we have some interest in the thread so I cleaned it out and tided it up a bit

maybe we can use it for shenanigans over launch weekend

https://discord.gg/xD38J4yfWY

We also have an EQ TLP Goons Discord which was used a lot during the Mangler and Selos eras.

https://discord.gg/ADPhVtZtq6

I'm up for doing a static group, I'll probably roll multiple characters, one set to play with you and others and another set during times where no one is available to play, since the server is encouraging alts on the same accounts. Either Discord would be fine and maybe we can get some others to join if anyone is interested!