Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

no dont close it i enjoy reading people serious post about code

(this is a serious post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

I liked 'the ghetto' more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-IueSMAPc

this owns

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

newreply.php posted:

has anyone mentioned Go yet, the Programming Language by Google??

bc thats okay really i dont think anyone uses it or cares tbqf

http://okcupid.theresumator.com/apply/dLKYbq/Software-Engineer.html

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

lua owns

world of warcraft addons are written in lua

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

if this was the case i wouldn't be here asking for materials to learn proper CS

i go a terrible school that doesn't have a CS degree, and while i'm planning to transfer (god loving willing), in the interim i'm stuck spinning wheels

you should be more confident in your abilities b/c your desire to learn combined w/ your current knowledge is much better than most students (especially freshman) so you are a really good candidate for most internships. just look for them and apply instead of selling yourself short by getting a dumb retail job.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

[videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXj97stbG8#t=25s[/video]

dont worry i saw it

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

dumbest question, but what kind of projects could this be used for?

graph theory has implications everywhere. think of how facebook suggests friends for you; they're using graph theory to map your friendships and make friend suggestions based on similar nodes.

basically, math owns.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

also someone posted this somewghere idk it might have been this thread and it seemed neat: http://networkx.lanl.gov/

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

nice grok

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

vapid cutlery posted:

youre all letting him troll you again

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i just use sublime text 2 because it suits my needs

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

barbarianbob posted:

tef you did a presenatation not long ago but i dont think you ever posted the vid. i keep googling for it on the double ewe double ewe everyday but i cant find it. i wanna watch the vid. where is it!

http://vimeo.com/45474360

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

barbarianbob posted:

i already watched that one. isnt there a GNUer one?? i need more tef in my life

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511214

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

idk you know what risk means. risk can be controlled and measured. big ticket item loans (houses,cars,etc...) are easiest to asses and you would be a fool to grant loans to someone you knew had no chance to pay them back. this is what happened in the us housing market. you would have banks continue to produce bad loans?

it's as if risk wasnt controlled or measured during the housing boom :wth:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

y.yo..you mean if i make bad loans i can't guarantee ill get my money back?? :eek:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the control in this case was supposed to be the banks going out of business. lol.

yes i agree. see: iceland.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

rotor posted:

guys guys guys

can we just let shaggar be shaggar and get back to talking about how im at a difficult crossroads in my career and am also pretty depressed about the whole thing?

stop spending money and retire or something idk

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

no; please womansplain it to me

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

WHOIS John Galt posted:

goddamn my avatar looks loving awesome

yah its good

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i cant remember the last time my phone was off vibrate and ive had a cell phone since 2001

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Ronald Raiden posted:

you probably don't need to worry about that

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

the programming thread safe space is back yay

i, too, enjoy this thread

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

MononcQc posted:

meet gifsockets, allowing you to continuously stream data through animated GIFs.

huh now i know why chrome sucks at gifs. thanks

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

you can actually do those with silverlight, but not with html/js/css

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lool

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

tef posted:

technology is social before it is technical

sometimes you win, sometimes deleuse

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

both are terrible for the same reasons and promoted by equally terrible people.

lol

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

crayola barforama, lookit all those toolbars and trays full of garbage

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

looks like chalk writing on the sidewalk

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

psp (please stop posting)

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

like if you try to do this:

$it = "string";
$it[] = "string2";

php bitches at you, when it should turn $it into array("string", "string2")

*nods*

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

BigInteger is an object and not a primitive. why is that syntax weird wrt java or are you just complaining about its verbosity

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i read chap1 of my first javabook last night.

keep in mind im coming in from ~8 months of perl and i get OO but havent really built any OO systems yet

looks pretty good. strong types are weird but it's not like im not an intelligent life form

what book did you get

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

"Erlang User of the Year 2012"

thats a thing?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

rotor posted:

like eight loving pages later and you chumps are still arguing with shagger about xml and soap

lets mayhaps change the topic to source control ?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i was joking about the source control bit but welp

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

FamDav posted:

graph theory is p cool and a lot of it is fairly intuitive.

this is a p good book but kinda expensive so maybe find a library or something?

i think rotor or someone posted this book and its heck of cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486247759/

been meaning to pick it up myself but havent gotten around to it.

was it someone here who linked a linear algebra book that taught it "the right way" by teahching determinants last? trying to remember the name or where i heard about it. linear algebra was interesting but i took it in a summer semester and the pace was brutal and i didnt retain as much of it as id like.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I'd retweet her if u catch my drift

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

she was the obvious catalyst for him getting fired tho so that's where the anger is coming from, i guess. the guy seems to be remorseful and apologetic for his actions, at least. i mean as a complete bystander it just seems like she should have talked to them / confronted them before putting them on blast ion twitter like that. but im a male and have never experienced sexual harassment in such a particularly male dominant field before, so i cant really say how successful that course of action would be in most situations.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

horse mans posted:

im a horse

horse meat is a delicacy in germany. gl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

pointers posted:

"i will be more mindful of my audience" is not remorseful and apologetic it is "next time i'll make sure there are no women in earshot"

sigh

Seriously, Adria (and all of you who are defending her actions)--you got this one wrong; it was a false positive on your sexism scale.

As a philosophical Marxist, I count myself among those who not only inherently support gender equality, but are from the thought tradition that started the drat movement. In graduate school, my thesis focused on the Southeast US from Reconstruction through the Civil Rights Act of 1964, investigating the role religion played in the development, acceptance, and perpetuation of the South’s attitudes and behaviors toward race, class, and gender. I get on guys' cases all the time when they're being obliquely and overtly sexist, especially in mixed company. I also point out to women when they're putting up with sexist behavior, because it's so ingrained in our culture that too few even recognize it properly. To say I'm pretty well steeped in both the academic and practical sides of gender politics, identity, and sexism would put it rather mildly.

However, I don't go ape-poo poo and publicly humiliate someone for making a potentially sexist joke among friends, because I have spent years rationally and academically evaluating whether or not someone is actually attempting to propagate bigotry and discriminatory behaviors--and this is the baseline for sexism, not whether or not a person approves of a statement that includes anatomical or sexual content. To reiterate, years of studying gender issues from a historical and philosophical perspective have shown rather conclusively that not everything sex-related is sexist.

The "big dongle" statement was not in any way a 'sexist joke'. It was an anatomical joke, albeit a childish one on the level of potty humor. Anatomy != sexism.

The forking comment, as explained by mr-hank, was not in the slightest bit sexist. Forking is the sincerest form of flattery (short of implementation, that is). People talk about forking repos all the time. I ask people if they've "forked [person's] repo" on the regular. I honestly don't even care if the guy said, "I'd fork his repo" in that typical, suggestive tone-of-voice. Why? Because for all I know as an outsider, the guys having the conversation could be homosexual, and not to put too fine a point on it, but homosexual men have been the victims of some absolutely disgusting and horrific sexism and discrimination (and much worse). Also, homosexual men don't heavily trend toward making lewd comments that are directed at women, especially where dick comments are concerned.

But even beyond trying to keep that consideration in mind, dick jokes or comments that are made between men without any obvious sign that the potentially offending comment is intended to be overheard ought to give everyone pause before sounding the Sexism Alert. Yes, guys talk about dicks at times and in places that are probably not appropriate. Kind of the way children talk about poop and farts and pee at times and in places that are probably not appropriate.

You know what else I hear a fuckton of at times and in places that are not appropriate? Breasts. Penises. Sluts. Periods. Boyfriend issues. Husband problems. Boob jobs. Male celebrity fantasies. 50 loving Shades of Grey. All of these from women. All the time--in offices, conferences, churches, cafes, restaurants, bars ... you name it. You wanna know how frequently I hear women talk about breasts (theirs or someone else's), or periods (theirs or someone else's), or the ways in which [insert body part] is changing during pregnancy, or how hot [insert attractive male celebrity] is, or how juicy 50 Shades is? It's everywhere.
Moreover, I can't even count the number of times I am in professional meetings with clients and notice [mostly younger] women adjusting their bras right in the middle of the meeting. Hey, I know those things get drat uncomfortable, ladies, but it also gets uncomfortable sitting through a meeting for two hours, crossing and uncrossing my legs to give my dick some space to not be a total pain just for existing between my legs. And guess what I never do? Adjust in the presence of women. Ever.

And to be perfectly transparent, I usually ignore it all. I'm one who pretty much defaults to giving women a pass because of all the stupid poo poo they've dealt with over a long history of men being complete assholes. I mean, really. A woman could make the most sexist comment I've ever heard and I'd just give it a shrug; but I'd say poo poo to a man if he was even obliquely offensive.

And yet, on this one, sounding the alarm was wrong. This wasn't sexism. Inappropriate? Sure, I'll grant Adria that. There were way too many people surrounding the exchange that it would have been better to not make the dongle comment--especially given that there was a woman in close proximity (and that's not a sly way of suggesting they should have made the comment if a woman was not in close proximity). It was an improper forum for such a comment. But to turn around and smile and take a picture, post it to Twitter, and then continue on calling oneself Joan of Arc? Christ, that is beyond the pale.

Just as the men who made the childish dongle comment agreed to a Code of Conduct, so did Adria. And just as she wanted them to abide by the Code, so should she have. I don't recall there being anything in the Code of Conduct that said one had the option to A) inform conference staff, or B) post a person's picture to Twitter if they say something you don't want to hear.
[edit: spelling errors & wording]

jooky fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 21, 2013