Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i know writing queries can get a bit involved but is this really necessary??

i think people are treating dbs as a magic box a bit too much tbh

eh, it looks pretty much like sql server management studio which works with other dbs and with better autocomplete/intellisense (which wouldn't be hard).

nothing wrong with making queries less tiresome to write imo. anything that eases the mechanical tedium of writing SELECT * FROM a JOIN b ON etc ten times a day is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

haha. sql in your code. very funny

what is the shaggar-approved(tm) way to access a database in .net? obviously not ef. manually bashing together sqlcommands?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

eric lippert's monad series is a pretty readable introduction to monads in a more familiar language. between this and the last six pages of monad chat, i think i'm finally starting to grasp the concept.

not that knowing that a monad is a monoid in etc etc is of any real use to me, since all the useful monads come bundled up with some pleasant syntax in c#

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i like to imagine that someone manually typed out each and every option in those boxes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

what makes python better/worse than any other dynamic lang? i'm somewhat considering going for a python job i've seen advertised

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the rust semicolon thing seems like a problem that's theoretically annoying but not actually a problem in practice.
not that i've ever used rust

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Gul Banana posted:

a lot (most or all??) of the built in Windows 10 desktop store apps are actually written in html+javascript, which can call UWP APIs in a technically impressive but also insane way.

this sounds juicy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

c++ is a terrible practical joke gone wrong

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

what we really need is a more thorough set of constructs for working with loops:
code:

for (...) {
}
finally {
    // run if loop runs to completion
}
catch {
    // run if break used to exit loop 
}
else {
    // run if loop never entered
}

of course, we're reusing existing keywords for maximum backwards compatibility (and confusion)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

leper khan posted:

why are you using a for loop anyway? just map a function across your collection

no. that makes it too easy to reason about the code. by reusing a bunch of keywords, we can significantly increase the difficulty of comprehension - especially if we introduce some subtle and surprising semantics here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

just discovered that java has unsigned integer support!

https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/unsigned_api

:lol:

"the unsigned API support does not introduce new types like UnsignedInt with instance methods to perform addition, subtraction, etc. However, that lack of separate Java-level unsigned types does mean a programmer can accidentally improperly mix signed and unsigned values. However, new unsigned types aren't the only way to mitigate this hazard. For example, a naming convention of adding a trailing "U" or "_U" to variables holding unsigned values could be adopted."

loving lmao, this can't be for real

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

you also forgot erlang!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

no, but i can give it a shot!

fad lang, will be dead in 2-3 years, apart from the legacy code left over in gecko. uses type system wankery to solve problems that don't exist. not close enough to the metal. fp paradigms have no place in a systems language

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

well you've convinced me to skip rust for a while

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader posted:

well you've convinced me to skip rust for a while

i mean, rust doesn't look c++ hard, but it still looks pretty hard

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

talkin' gc and slammin' go

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Athas posted:

I was at a Google-hosted summit where a dude (Chandler Carruth) could explain the three primary current research problems in compiler engineering using maybe four slides, and some other guys used something like seventy slides to explain WebAssembly.

so it's good

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's monads. nothing but monads

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

my first programming language was microsoft's variant of C++ 98 since that was what was used in our high school programming language class. the AP tests were done in C++ too. C++ for pedagogy is ill-advised and probably absolutely killed the interest in programming that many in that class might have otherwise had.

good

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i wrote a trivial script in python and ran into multiple type errors that i actually had to think about (ew!). in a proper language the compiler would have complained with a decent and obvious error

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ok so what are the actual advantages of dynamic typing? what would make me want to go from my obviously dumb and lovely static typing to a more dynamic type system?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

let's be real here: no one in yospos is breaking into any markets where a simple first/last name pair won't suffice

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

wouldn't surprise me to learn that most people who use the internet have figured out a way to work with the anglosphere's first/last name convention

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I vaguely remember that some people with a single name just double it up for places that demand two

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I bet most of the time it's so the spam emails and the text by the logout button can say "hello $PRESUMABLY_FAMILIAR_NAME"

which is a stupid reason

get those impressions, make those conversions, grab that cash

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

i want to try f# some day

i guess i can hold my nose and ignore the terribleness of the .net standard library

the .net std lib is really good

unless you're talking about .net core, in which case i think it's not as good

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

in conclusion, the choice of programming language is irrelevant to the success of the project, because all efforts are doomed to founder in a swamp of incoherent project management and increasingly bureaucratic interdepartmental sniping about code style

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i agree that ba's are champions and that everyone needs more of them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

The Windows IO stack (and much of the rest of the kernel design) comes from VMS and RSX-11 by way of Dave Cutler.

async/await is basically a simplified version of continuations that mere mortals can use, or a more generalized form of generators. They're not exactly new or innovative, but Microsoft/Anders Hejlsberg deserve the credit for designing something usable and shoving it into the mainstream.

i can't wait til anders gets bored of typescript and decides to make a good new language (and not just microsoft java or microsoft javascript)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

The Collector posted:

i want boring corporate money. Java or C#?

yes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

as i understand it, c# is a good lang with a mediocre ecosystem. java is the opposite

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it took me way too long to realise this was a hackbunny effortpost

how do you know so much about every os??

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

TOPS-420 posted:

ansi pascal had no polymorphism over array sizes and no dynamically sized array or string types, so you could only write a function for a specific array size

e: fb

talk about a swing and a miss

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

so the madmen who work on webkit are thinking seriously about removing one of js's few good features

i like how they're planning on introducing a bunch of really low-level threading primitives into js, rather than a set of less footgunny concurrency abstractions.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

2 col is way better for reading on a phone

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

reading? on a device designed for reading? you loving monster

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

never hit it in prod, but i found our email validation regex was badly constructed when a unit test took 15 minutes to run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

if not regex, then what should i use for user input validation? or is this a question for the tp thread