Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Is a fictionalized Obama mentioned in any of the Transformers movies? I wanna say yes but I don't remember any details - I just remember W looking like a bit of an oaf on Air Force One in the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What lesson do you think they should have learned?

That we get the world we deserve, probably.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

But...But the only thing spoilers reveal is the destination, not the journey!

Exactly! He's a rube for not asking people to spoil the journey!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

-Someone who has never watched a FF movie

I think it's pretty unfair and narrow-minded to assume we're dealing with an ignorant clown rather than a clown with bad taste

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The part of the trailer after the title comes up. In this case, the gag with the bird getting upset at the sign.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MeinPanzer posted:

Holy poo poo this movie looks amazing, and the special effects look great. That bear attack looks startlingly realistic.

I know man, the Point Break remake is gonna be sick.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does she have anything coming up? Because Zero Dark Thirty is my favorite of what's been a fantastic career, so whatever she's got next has my automatic excitement.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm less concerned with how much it resembles the original and more concerned with how much it resembles Pixels

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry, I'll stop :(

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The character was already named Bodhisattva, how could I not want him to take his extreme sports incredibly seriously on a philosophical and spiritual level

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

I spend most of my time on these something awful forums playing mafia, I need to see this movie so bad!

This might be the wrong place for it, but I've never been quite able to wrap my head around how forums Mafia stuff works. I played a lot of Mafia on high school field trips and whatnot, and the dynamic always had a lot to do with reading body language and playing off existing social dynamics. What substitutes in for that when you've got text and strangers? Is it more of a rational actor type situation where folks judge identities based off voting patterns and incentives, or does it lead to the same goofy trainwrecks as the Mafia I grew up with?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just got off the phone with my uncle who works at Nintendo and he confirms that, yeah, pretty much everyone there knows karate

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
No joke I'd be excited for a Diablo II adaptation that's just a miserable and deliberately repetitive tone piece about the impossible expectations placed upon heroes, the absence of meaningful support structures, and the frightful mundanity of a warrior's life. An inverted Spring Breakers, if you will.

All other Blizzard properties I'll pass on

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

High fantasy is bad.

The only type of fantasy I've been able to get into for years now is the kind that has at least one foot firmly planted in other pulp styles like heist stories and corporate thrillers. It feels like there's so much more of a license to go balls out with weird fantasy worldbuilding stuff if you're anchoring yourself in something that's still far from highbrow but more traditional, as opposed to something like this trailer where I'm like, man, there is next to nothing it can call its own.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

confused posted:

I haven't been paying attention to this movie at all. Are they creating basically new characterizations of Batman and Superman for this thing? Or is it just going to be really bad?

Supercar's post is accurate, but something else that might be confusing you is that this clip is probably some kind of "What if?" scenario that depicts Batman's fear of an unchecked Superman, and we're most likely seeing it either because Batman's head is getting hosed with by Luthor or just because he's that paranoid. So if you're asking "Does Superman actually have an underground prison in the desert guarded by Super-Gestapo that he strides menacingly past in order to unmask Batman and then scowl at the cowl", the answer is "nah, probably not".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

We had a packed theater and the Sloth trailer got tons of laughter in TFA. It's such a simple joke, but the comedic timing in that whole scene is really spot on.

I wasn't feeling it until the joy slowly spread across the sloth's face when he got the fox's joke, but that poo poo in particular was sooooolid

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Nobody argued that about Prometheus except its detractors.

I mean like some arguments in favor of Prometheus center on David being the viewpoint character and finding great amusement in the petty, hubristic follies of most of the human cast, which can be easy to mistake for "it's great because it's a piece of poo poo!" if, perhaps, you're willfully dense

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo looks waaaaaay too precious for me to want to give it the time of day.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder what an interesting The Purge movie would look like.

Something that cribs heavily from The Act of Killing

OR

A found footage movie about a group of lovable shithead kids that have been looking forward to the Purge all year so they can sneak out and film sick grisly crime footage to show to their friends when it's over

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The original short was absolutely wretched, and the footage in the trailer that comes from it is still wretched, but some of the newer footage at least looks like it's trying to have an aesthetic, so that's progress

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
A single long shot of a space island... I am laid low. I am slain. The Force Awakens, you fraudulent devil, begone from my sight in my bittersweet final moments

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

soapgish posted:

No, you actually have nothing to say to the contrary that the happier artist isn't as good as the unhappy one as it's a classic, world-versed idea for correct reason. And you have nothing to say about the Wachowski batting average which more than speaks for itself. You may disagree in some blunt sense but specifically, you're just stupid and an rear end in a top hat, and continuing the derail. Group-Think High School has determined I'm an idiot and I proudly wear that badge. Move on.

Just curious, has talking like this ever worked out for you

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of max landis is it true that Eisenberg's performance in Batman v Superman meant to be echoing his behaviour? because it's hilarious and that speech he gave in the charity ball is one of (very very few) highlights of the film

The speech at the charity ball felt really uncomfortably close to home, as someone who has witnessed years worth of nerds trying to make speeches, completely misreading the room after some initial minor success, and slowly and brutally dying on stage by their own hands

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

People harp on Eisenberg a lot but he has a lot in the tank for what some think is the same performance over and over.

I feel like folks who harp on him for 'the same performance over and over' tend not to really articulate what that performance is, beyond puzzling and increasingly outdated accusations that he's Michael Cera

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Agreed that we need more resources in this world to empower extremely lame parents

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
More than anything else I'm impressed with the shot composition. When the rope comes into frame, as if to offer the downed Faraci a point on which to rest, is a great little beat

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The setup is worth it too, because it's Swanberg mounting a really sweet and earnest, if somewhat ineloquent, defense of the goofy mumblecore films that he and his friends make, punctuated by Faraci making GBS threads on them with minimal effort and smug distance

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I seen this thing in the theater before Green Room

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

where's the drat 4?

As someone too young to really remember Independence Day when it was in theaters, the fact that its acronym is ID4 frightens and disturbs me, so I'm in favor of this

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

jet sanchEz posted:

Does Iron Man 3 have a lot of Shaneblackness to it?

Yup, and it's largely why it's the best MCU movie

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
There's one about some News Bears, I think

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have no idea whether it's thematically appropriate for Assassin's Creed because I know jack poo poo about those games, but it's a spooky and badass track so I'm all for it in this broody, stylized action movie. For those who know more about the franchise, what makes the song stick out like a sore thumb?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rurea posted:

Are there any famous examples?

I mean, y'know

[looks back and forth to make sure we're alone]

[looks back and forth again]

Women

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

Will Smith's abomination children

Jaden's legit though

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I don't know what the problem with Willow is supposed to be either tbh.

Yeah I got no idea on that front either, I just went to Jaden first since he's been putting out pretty good tracks for a while now and I appreciate how confident he is about unconventional gender presentation. He seems like a sweet, if loopy, kid

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Shillary posted:

Yeah, he is probably one of the most fashionable people on earth.

Hey this is only tangentially related and a rude as gently caress question, but what happened that you stopped being such a huge transphobe all the time

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

Doesn't that movie pretty much already exist under the name Open Water?

No, that movie takes place in open water whereas this one takes place in the shallows

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

"a commentary on body image" or "The appearance and weight of the average American" is immaterial to my point which is that casting (skinny) Zach Galifanaikis and especially Isla Fisher kills the physical gag. It is significantly less funny than it could be because, for example in that changing room scene where you have Gal Gadot towering over her& then Isla Fisher makes a joke about how the most excitement she has is a terrible sex life (that her character doesn't realize is a joke[?]) none of it reads as funny as it could because Isla Fisher is still very good looking. This isn't something new or unexpected, I mean it's a big budget movie of course they're not going to actually cast someone normal looking, it's like every bad rom-com ever where you have the attractive "unattractive" girl/guy & then the conventionally attractive conceited girl/guy (who's all wrong for the protagonist, duhh).
But it bugs me that they rely so centrally on the contrast as a joke since it doesn't really work but they're so close with Gal Gadot who is so totally insane looking.

Hey for the record I find it real drat exhausting to even begin to discuss subjects like this, but I just want to confirm that you're 100% on the mark, thank you

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I utterly despise "we abused the gently caress out of this being and now we're very very afraid because they might hurt us" narratives but yeah I'mma probably see it and root for my girl Morgan the entire way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, I don't think a trailer centered on how awful it is to lock someone in a cage is trying to get you to root for the people who did so.

Yeah like if I had to make a guess about the emotional framing of this all based on the trailer, I'd say you're probably meant to not root for Morgan because she kills folks and is scary, you're not meant to root for the people locking her up because they're being mean to her, and you're probably meant to root for Kate Mara because she's brought in after the fact so it's not her fault as such

But, y'know, 'supposed to' is a weak idea in the first place. I'm on Team Morgan

• Locked thread