Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah we are honestly on the verge of a world wide recession at this point and I really don't think there is much stopping the train... maybe slowing it down buts full steam ahead right now.

Honestly I don’t think this will hit luxury companies (and $500+ GPUs are a luxury product for the average consumer, make no mistake) that hard. If the last bout of economic horse poo poo told us anything it’s that the high earners come out OK while everyone else gets the shaft.

Basically I just don’t think the economic demographic that builds $1k+ gaming rigs is going to be hurting as bad as everyone else. The demand will still be there.

Well, gamer demand. Lol at the buttcoin market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lockback posted:

From the article (bolding mine)

Maybe there's some truth to that but my experience working for and with corporations overseas is.... no it doesn't really matter and everyone is a greedy rear end in a top hat. I think otherwise is just capitalist jingoism more than anything else.

Yeah, exactly. Like you can have excellent service but if your defect rate isn't that great the outcome isn't going to be pretty especially as you enter the downside of a release cycle like this. I did like his quote about "If this was profitable everyone would do it".

Oh god yeah that’s just bog standard German wanking about the “Mittelstand”

Tldr a lot of Germans think that their medium sized companies do capitalism right and are both more humane and more efficient. There’s a kernel of an argument there when you’re talking about things like precision manufacturing but in general it’s swamped by efficiencies of scale in any commodity item.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the smart upgrade look like these days for someone still using a 1070?

I've got a 1440p monitor that I'd like to use with a new card. Before crypto poo poo everything up I'd been targeting a 3070, but was never willing to pay scalper prices.

edit: budget sub-$400, ideally, $450 if it's the difference between garbage and something good. I'm just not going to spend anything like what the 80 and 90 cards cost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper would feel about their names being turned into GPU marketing. At least Kepler and Pascal have been dead 400 years

The first time I heard the Lovelace term I had to double check because wasn't all that aware of Ada Lovelace and the only famous Lovelace I could think of was Linda.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the story with the HP branded 30 series cards? I’m seeing them around suspiciously cheap and I know there has to be a catch. Based on the HP I’m guessing shoddy construction or cooling but how bad is bad?

Are we talking a bit louder fans and not as efficient cooling but still OK-ish, or run don’t walk away?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

OEM video cards for their prebuilts, most likely their Omen line. During the chip shortages people would buy the PCs just to pull the cards.

So are they acceptable cards or poo poo?

On the one hand I see “HP OEM part” and my skin crawls, on the other I like saving money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Probably also going to be a lot of RMA’s when someone who knows dick all about putting a PC together manages to gently caress up bad enough that they damage the card or the board etc.

It’s not rocket science but any time you put any kind of assembly in customer hands you’re going to see a certain percentage that do some wild poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's the XTIA Xproto and I've seen some other similar open "case" designs. The reasons to use an actual case would be to protect your hardware from the elements (accidental spills, pets, kids, dust, etc) as well as provide at least some level of noise isolation. Also, having directed airflow may actually be more beneficial for thermals than open-air design, depending on how much airflow there is in the case.

I do wonder about that, actually. Like, how does a system in the Fractal Torrent compare to an open test bench? I imagine GPUs especially could be prone to air recirculation on an open bench with no airflow since they don't really blow air away from the GPU very effectively. But maybe this isn't a big deal?

I don't have a link or anything, but I remember an aside comment on some GN video reviewing a case where he said something to the effect that even the best ducting and airflow designs out there don't improve on just opening up the side of your case to let the whole thing breathe.* Dust protection is the thing that seems the most worthwhile to me. I'll happily sacrifice some cooling (it's not like I"m running anything ambitious at all) if it keeps me from having to clean dust and hair out of heatsink fins.

*edit: now that I think about it, might have been the series of videos where he reviewed the PS5's cooling setup and the various comically bad aftermarket things that claim to improve it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Yeah I think I’m going to have to hold onto my 980 a while longer till the 4090 comes down to a more reasonable price

If you're still running a 980 there are a LOT of cards that cost less than a 4090 but which would still be a massive, massive upgrade for you.

Me, I'm currently looking around at used cards as a way to put my 1070 out to pasture. Normally I avoid used videocards but drat, even on ebay some of the prices are getting low enough to make rolling the dice worth while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

namlosh posted:

If you don’t mind, post here about what you got when/if you do pull the trigger. I’m in the exact same boat :) and I’ll do the same

Will do. Right now I'm targeting something in the 3060ti/3070/2080 ballpark. This doesn't need to be a future proofed purchase, i just want to kick the can. 1440p, kind of interested in DLSS.

Back in 2019 I was running a 970 and snagged this 1070 off ebay because I figured it was near the end of the 20 series, the 30 should be coming down the pipe soon, and hey obviously I'll just be able to get a 3070 or whatever in a year or so. I'll just drive down to MicroCenter and grab one off a shelf, maybe even wait until Christmas 2020 and see if I can snag a good holiday sale! This 1070 will be fine for a year, should have no problem getting something to replace it after that!

:suicide:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't think this is heralding the death of PC gaming, but I do think that PC gaming is about to take a little bit of a nap. Swear to god, my brain knows better, but my gut keeps telling me these look like shoops,

Dear loving god, AMD, hurry the gently caress up.

It's already happened to me. I stumbled backwards into a PS5 at MSRP during the height of the pandemic and fuuuuuuck that poo poo is just so goddamned convenient for a huge swath of modern games. Doubly so when a mid-range card costs as much as a complete console these days.

I really miss mid-range cards that were in the $200-300 ballpark.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

K8.0 posted:

I mean gaming in general has been taking a nap for 2+ years already. It's not specific to PC, it's the worst console generation transition yet + covid + all major publishers edging closer to flailing death throes producing pure garbage.

Lol no. I say this as someone with a ps5 that I really like.

It’s aPS4+

No one is making truly next gem games. There are a few but they’re far and few between. Everything is being developed to be comparable with a condone generation that came out in the early Obama administration.

Much like Obama it was better than what came later but still a disappointment if you want actual progress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Someone posted some software for testing video cards in here earlier but I can't find it. Can I get a link?

I've got a new-to-me card coming via eBay and I want to put it through its paces to make sure it is good to go.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of which:

namlosh posted:

If you don’t mind, post here about what you got when/if you do pull the trigger. I’m in the exact same boat :) and I’ll do the same

Took a couple weeks of trawling for deals, but I snagged a Dell OEM 2080 for $230 after shipping.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arrath posted:

drat. Nice deal!

Yeah, I figured at that price even if there's some crazy black friday deal with people trying to clear out their 3000-series stock I can turn it around and either break even or come out ~$CASE_OF_BEER behind.

From what I can tell squinting at online comparisons it's about equivalent to the 3060ti as far as performance goes. DOn't know about power but I've got enough overhead in my system to run the 2080 as it stands.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Taima posted:

I hope AMD does well too but it's beyond confusing how they've gone out of their way to cede 100% of the hype to Nvidia. That is not the move of a strong competitor unless they're playing some kind of david and goliath 5D chess move where they act like a wounded animal and then jump out with an incredible stack.

I don't follow the GPU market half as much as the people in this thread that actually know what they're talking about, but from the cheap seats it's kind of looked to me like they're just content to rest on their big partnership contracts. They've got the graphics in both the Playstation and XBox this generation, which has to be a pretty big chunk of their bottom line.

Does anyone have a solid idea of the size of the console market compared to the GPU market? Quick googling shows that the PS4 sold ~120 million units and the XBONE ~60 million, so call the total install base ~180 million-ish, which is also about what you see if you look at the PS4/360 era (although that was a straight 50/50 split, god I didn't know PS crushed Microsoft THAT badly last gen). The only info I can find on the number of GPUs manufactured is an article talking about all GPU production combined in Q3 2021 being 12.7 million units.. But that's at peak crypto mining insanity when they were ramping up production like mad, so I have no idea if that's representative of the real size of the market.

Basically I'm just wondering how much AMD sits around going :ohdear: at the latest Nvidia uber-card launch vs. how much they just glance over at the press release while counting the stacks of cash they're making from selling chips to Sony and Microsoft.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

quick non-4090 question:

What's a generally safe operating temp for a 2080? I got that used one I bought today and I'm loving around with afterburner and furmark. Reading around online I'm seeing a bunch of people freaking out if their card gets north of 70 C, and a bunch more saying anything south of 85 is nbd.

I'm thinking to target 75 for a sustained temp, but that's just me eyeballing and gut checking stuff. Thoughts?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol I love new (to me) GPU day.

Put in the 2080, ran through furmark and afterburner etc, time to actually fire up a game and see what's what. Still had rear end Creed: Odyssey installed with everything set at medium low for the 1070, getting around 30fps or so at 1440. That's got a benchmark, so let's do that. Didn't bother actually watching it, just came back to look at the report.

Huh. Average of 59. Better than what I was doing but kinda surprised. Guess this isn't as big an upgrade as I thought. Oh well, off to the control panel to jack up the graphics settings and see what kind of numbers I get with all the bells and whistles turned on that I'd been skipping.

Oh. The game had the settings reset because of the new card I guess.

And defaulted to ultra across the board. THAT is what I was getting ~60fps at.

:haw:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

wolrah posted:

So far I don't think anyone's allowed games to be exclusive to refresh or upgrade models within the same generation. As far as I'm aware there were never any Xbox One X exclusive or PS4 Pro exclusive titles last generation either, you have to support the entire lineup for whatever generation you're targeting.

Sure, but the problem here is that the S was kind of gimpy when it launched. That poo poo is going to be looking reeeealy long in the tooth by the time we're near the end of this gen.

It was a terrible call on microsoft's part.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ok but the S is selling really well sooooo
:shrug:

Well, yeah, they gave people an option to buy a $300 "next gen" console. I'm not surprised it's selling really well.

But we're already starting to see some pinch points, and that poo poo is going to get worse as the generation progresses. The BONE lasted 7 years. We're coming up on year 2 of the X/S era. Those hardware limitations are going to be really, really, REALLY noticeable in 3 or 4 years time.

Basically the options are to keep AAA games locked in amber so they can run on a mid-range 2016 PC, let publishers stop targeting the S, or have people playing 320p or whatever low target resolution you have to hit to get whatever 2025's latest and greatest video card melter is. There's just no way they're going to be able to hide that it's a potato at that point.

edit: whoever said they need to give an option to stream from a series X instance has it right. As stand alone hardware these are going to look really anemic in just a couple of years (well, more so than they already do), but as a first step towards a streaming-only tier of even cheaper hardware? That could be interesting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yudo posted:

It isn't even just a matter of affordability: a consumer video card costs more than a round trip from NYC to Tokyo. The prices the market is willing to bear has gotten completely out of whack. If people really love video gaming or need more grunt for work, awesome, but for the rest of us...

Used market. I’m right there with you on not being willing to spend a month’s rent on a video card. B

A lot of lower tier cards are fine if you’re not pushing 4k’s worth of pixels. I just picked up a used 2080 and it’s happily doing 1440 / 60 fps on poo poo like the dark tide demo. I’m sure I’ll be tweaking settings etc in the near future as demands increase, but at the end of the day this poo poo is a sliding scale.

I get the people who want the best and are willing to pay for it, but not having a 40-series isn’t going to lock anyone out of playing a new game and time soon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The thing I always keep in mind when I start fretting about fps is that at least on the gaming front the vast majority of the graphically intensive stuff is being cross developed for consoles. Yes there are optimizations etc (and it’s impressive as hell what they can manage with the hardware) but that only take you so far.

<insert rehash of Series S discussion here lol >

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Do we know if the failures have been happening on the plug side or the socket side yet?

Because it seems to me - an idiot who is looking at this from as far on the outside as one can get - that if it's socket side things are really hosed for nvidia, but if it's plug side you should be able to over-engineer a solution robust enough to not catch poo poo on fire. Maybe it ends up being an expensive as gently caress plug, but I doubt it would be as expensive as the video card it's going into.

edit: like, imagine an over-engineered solution to the point where the housing for the plug is 2x the size of the bits that actually go into the card and we're just saying gently caress your cable management and case door.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ijyt posted:

If AMD can get RT performance equal to or better than 30 series, with improvements to raster, I might be moving to a full AMD build and giving my boyfriend my 3080.

Wouldn't that be more or less a side-grade? Why not just keep the 3080 at that point?

(Assuming you're gaming, I don't know if you're doing some non-gaming thing that makes it worthwhile)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That cat is extremely not impressed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Most FPS players value frames too much for that poo poo. I've been on the "RT is a gimmick" train for a long while, but I have turned on RTX in Fortnite and been impressed at the RT lighting in some building interiors. But it hurts too much to leave on when playing to win, a feature best left to Creative mode.

It's not the next Doom that sells raytracing. It's the next SimCity or Minecraft.

Not all FPS players are frame-chasing competitive multiplayer people. IMO it's pretty telling that one of the earlier implementations of decent RT - Metro Exodus - was a single player FPS. You've also got your coop stuff where it's technically multiplayer but you're not worried about millisecond differences - e.g. Borderlands.

Then you've also got an entire sea of fairly casual multiplayer FPS gamers who want the eye candy. An old college buddy who I game with quite a bit (and myself tbh) is in this boat specifically because, as he puts it, "every time I'm playing this I'm drinking beer and it's not the graphics that are going to slow me down."

I don't have anything but my gut on this, but I suspect that for every person playing fortnite at 1024 with lowest settings for maximum frames there's a dozen people with poo poo cranked up because they just don't take it that seriously.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, poo poo, I'm the guy who just bought a used 2080 to replace a 1070 and the first thing I did was install Metro EE and Control just to go "oooh pretty." I'm also gaming at 1440.

Not everyone is pushing a 4k display or three. RT is resource intensive, but between 1080/1440, DLSS, and people who are OK with 30-60fps there's a lot of room out there for developers to implement it even today. And, again, a ton of more casual gamers who specifically want the pretty pictures because they just want to flop on their couch for an hour or two in the evening with a beer or a bong and go "oooohh."

I remember the reviews when Metro: E first launched and everyone gushing over the RT shadows but also pointing out that you really needed a top-of-the-line system (high end 20-series card at the time) to make it worth while. The cards that were expensive halo products three years ago are now on eBay for a couple hundred bucks, and anything modern that is even remotely mid-tier (so excluding poo poo like the 3050) at least matches the performance. Importantly even consoles have basic RT capabilities now.

Now think of what that landscape looks like in another couple of years when we're gossiping about the latest catastrafuck in the 5090 launch and 30 series are the two-gen old cheap card on ebay.

We're very quickly getting to a point where for devs RT isn't going to be an interesting flourish aimed at the top of the market, but something that's accessible to the unwashed gaming masses. At that point it makes sense for it to be another included feature.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 2, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Is it? I'm thinking the game that will sell raytracing is the one that does one of two things:

1. Can't be done at all without ray-tracing from a game mechanics perspective. Like some kind of game that involves moving mirrors around for reflections or or looking into different puddles to see something in the sky that can't be observed directly for game reasons.
2. A game that confers some competitive advantage for people playing it with ray tracing hardware.

Or maybe ray tracing won't really be a thing until it works on consoles and mainstream phones.

"looks prettier" is going to be enough to sell it to your average gamer.

Again, average gamer, not necessarily the people posing online about the FPS difference between High End Card 1 and High End Card 2.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

100% true, but from what I have seen so far, the looks prettier effect of RT in games isn't enough to justify the price premium and performance degradation.

I also think a lot of people in here are jaded from having seen it in practice for a while. Jumping to a 2080 the big thing I noticed right off the bat in Metro was how much better the shadows look.

Maybe not everything is going to do balls out full scene reflection in glass etc RT but I do think it’s going to work it’s way in, especially as consoles support that low level of RT and more and more old cards support it. The 20-series is 4 years old now. I know the world is still full of people playing on 970s etc but that bar is going to raise.

I don’t doubt that there will be non-RT stuff out there, especially in the world of F2P games, but I expect it to be a lot more common at least at a basic level as we move forward. Push things out another 2 or 3 years and I’d be surprised if some level of RT support wasn’t almost guaranteed on AAA titles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol at "no need to upgrade your case or power adapter"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OH MY GOD THATS CRAZY

how much are they paying that plant in the audience lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I'm OOTL, wasn't Halo Infinite a massive disappointment?

yeah it was a wet fart

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

whelp here's the part where the paid for cheering section can get up to take a leak

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ijyt posted:

those are still expensive tho goddamn

Yeah but it's their version of a halo product.

It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the stack looks like when those start coming out.

It will also put a lot of price pressure on nvidia because lol if anyone is buying a 4070 for $800 when these are at that same basic price point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lockback posted:

Maybe, but while the 4090 release isn't crypto-mining time levels of success I would be shocked if it wasn't generally a successful launch all around. I think the lower tier stuff will be a different story, but the 4090 seems like it's doing well for being a halo launch.

I don't think we'll see a recall, that seems crazy. I do think we'll see new adapters sent out to people, but I've had similar things happen in the past with the additional chip heatsinks and whatnot. I don't think that's a huge deal.

I wonder how much of the 4090's success is also down to the crypto poo poo? Anecdotally it feels like a fair number of the people I've seen getting them are justifying the extra cost because they waited out the 30x series entirely due to crypto making everything bonkers. There might be a temporarily higher demand for halo products.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

noted leader in bleeding edge graphics, Nintendo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Do we have a thread for talking about cases? I’m probably in the market in the next year and don’t want to poo poo this one up when I start window shopping.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Well I’ll just ask here then.

What’s the current hotness in like the $100-ish ballpark? (Pretty hard limit at 150) I’m currently running a mini-atx board w/ a 2700x. I figure I’ll upgrade that in the next sooner or later and when I get a new board/cpu/etc it’s time for a new case.

Dgaf about rgb but I’m not allergic to it either.

I like the mini-atx form factor but if bigger is better I’m not size constrained any more.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sorry yeah micro atx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The NPC bobbing her head around at 0:55, DLSS creates way less artifacting.

Check out the trees around 0:42, yikes.