Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

The generation is pretty much the model year. In desktop offerings, it aligns with the latest architecture revision being used on the top two or three market segments, which is also often smattered about the lower-end offerings. The current generation is the HD 7000 series (Southern Islands et al.), which was preceded by the HD 600 series (Northern Islands et al.).

I'll read it more thoroughly later, but here's the first typo I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's passively cooled too, looks like a good choice for a HTPC.
Why would you stick a compute card into an HTPC?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

That said, this is a no-no for anything but very slow paced gaming. I also do NOT want to see compression artifacts all over my screen.. but my internet connection is too shite to consider this anyway.

I'm with you on this. I can't help but wonder how much developer support they will get with it though, assuming it takes off.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

I still think Doom looks pretty good. Maybe it sounds crazy, but it had just the right style and sprites, atmosphere, I suppose. Even though it was not true 3D, I think that helps - it was a great trick to get smooth looking graphics within the means of the hardware at the time.
Early PlayStation games (3D ones) look worse, with absolutely hosed perspective, grainy low-poly models, wonky, flickering textures and low frame rates. So while they were novel, they aged badly.

Graphical fidelity != aesthetic.

Those screens look fantastic, and I'm certainly looking forward to having them in games, but I don't mind having my GPU literally pushing pixels sometimes.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Agreed posted:

Edit: Also I broke down and ordered a fuckin' GTX 680. I just want to turn up the graphics... :negative:/:rock:
:sigh:

How's this going to affect your audio production? I know CUDA wasn't as strong as you would have liked for the price on the 580. With the 680's overall weaker performance, how will you compensate?

I suppose what I'm saying is keep both. The 580 for compute, and the 680 for gaming. :getin:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
You know how AMD introduced the 7970 GHz edition to compete with the 680? Well one performance notch down, they're apparently doing the same with a 7950 GHz edition to compete with the 670.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Porkchop Express posted:

IE: If I got a 550 Ti can I still set the maximum screen resolution to 1920x1080 but just set it lower for games?
Yes.

quote:

I ask because Newegg put this on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-14130625-L0D

As Dogen mentioned, the 550Ti is simply a bad value. You can get better performance with this 7770 for $15 less after rebate.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just found some leaked info about Team Green's 660Ti. If it's to be believed, it'll be virtually identical to the 670, except for a 192-bit bus width.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/15694-geforce-gtx-660-ti-specifikationer-och-lanseringsdatum

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

FamDav posted:

So should I take this August 16th release date for the 660 as reliable? Want to decide if it's worth it to wait.

You don't wait: You buy a GPU, and might miss out on a better one, but you can make use of it a week sooner.
You wait: You deal with whatever you have right now, and make an informed decision in a week or so.

From the benchmarks we've seen, it looks like it'll be a pretty great card. Whether it'll be worth buying or not depends on how much you'll be able to snag it for.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Factory Factory already posted it in the system building megathread, but here's the Techreport.com 660Ti review. They basically found that, while the 7950 may have a better FPS average, there was about the same amount of framerate stutter as the 660Ti. Check out their 99th percentile FPS scatter plot on the last page. The two 660Tis are basically at the same level as the two 7950s but at cheaper price points.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
You realize that every link that has an ellipsis in it is broken, right?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Consultant posted:

I've got a P8Z77-V pro mobo with a radeon 6950 as the primary video card. I have another monitor I want to connect to run 3 (not worried about being able to do eyefinity...for now) but it won't allow me to do so unless there is display port on the third monitor, which I don't have. I have an old geforce 7600 kicking around I know I can use to plug in the third display but was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would slow down the performance of the 6950 in graphic intensive situations or cause any other possible issues. the psu can definitely take the extra load.

If you don't care about eyefinity, why don't you just run the third off your IGP?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Consultant posted:

I can't seem to get that to work, windows isn't seeing the device at all, when I try to install the driver it tells me that I don't meet the "minimum requirements" to install

That's odd. Did you make sure to enable the IGP in the BIOS? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be working if that's not the case.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I know basically nothing about video card brand quality and just want something that will play new games for the next foreseeable 3-4 years. Does this look like a solid buy for the pricerange? It seemed to have the best specs for the 250 range, and I have a gigabyte motherboard so I figured less chance of weird mobo conflicts. I'm definitely open to advice on better buys, but I'm ordering tomorrow morning so just figured I would run this by the pros.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

also considering

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

But honestly have no clue what to get.

Having different brand mobos and GPUs is a non-issue. Gigabyte isn't recommended around here because they have wonky problems with their power delivery. XFX isn't because they strip components from the reference design of GPUs, which makes them less robust. For recommended brands, we recommend Sapphire, Asus, MSI and EVGA. Personally I'd choose this Sapphire over either of the ones you chose.

Unless you want to spend closer to $300, a 7870 is the best value you can get.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
You know the random frame time spikes that the AMD cards were having? Well the new, and as of yet, unreleased beta drivers help smooth them out a lot. In the Tech Report article, they tested a 7950 with new and old drivers against a 660Ti in Skyrim, Borderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2. In all games, there was a marked improvement with the new drivers.

In their conclusion, they mention that a lot of the improvement came from application specific tweaks, but they're working on some things that will improve performance across the board. Notably, they're working on a new memory manager that works better with the new architecture.

Something that surprised me, though, was that AMD had not been looking at individual frame times in their internal testing, while nVidia began looking at them sometime in one of the Fermi generations.

In any case, it's good to see AMD fixing these problems, and I look forward to seeing how much better new driver improvements will make them. It's surprising, that reviewers started looking at frame times earlier than they did.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

BeanBandit posted:

I impulse bought a 680, and the increase in performance from my 580 has been pretty underwhelming. These are all at 2560x1600 and an i7 920 OCed to 3.3 GHz.

code:
	580	680
Starcraft II gameplay
min	38.50	42.5
max	52.50	53.5
avg	48.23	49.5

Starcraft II cutscene
min	28	32
max	42	51
avg	37.85	46.25
I know FSX is heavily CPU dependent, so I wasn't expecting miracles, but I also wasn't expecting no difference at all. And I can't even hit 60 FPS in Starcraft II? I thought there was something wrong with the card or my drivers at first, but I've reinstalled and still no difference.

I think I may have just picked the wrong games to benchmark. I'm installing Battlefield 3 and hoping for good things, and hopefully driver updates will improve Tomb Raider. Still, I may end up returning it.

For SC2, it's surprisingly CPU dependent. Looking at the Anandtech Bench, i7 990X is clocked higher than your 920, and has much more L3 cache, which SC2 likes, and it still doesn't average 60FPS. I'd guess that you're CPU limited there.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anandtech posted an article on GPU stuttering, AMD's recent fumbles, their attempts to fix them, and the future of game benchmarking.

Many of the things mentioned have been said before, like how FRAPS isn't an ideal benchmarking tool because the frametimes it captures are very early in the rendering pipeline, and not necessarily representative of the final user experience. They did get some new information about how AMD does its internal testing, though. They use a program called GPUView, which gives a much more detailed view of where in the pipeline the bottlenecks are. It's incredibly complex to the point where Anandtech isn't going to it for benchmarking.

Some things to take away are that Anandtech isn't doing frame time analysis because there isn't a tool they feel is accurate enough, there are tools in development that look promising, both AMD and NVIDIA agree that FRAPS is less than ideal for measuring performance, and that we may see new drivers fixing the performance issues AMD cards have in July. Whether or not it's only for multi-GPU cards is unclear.

quote:

In any case, just as how change is in the air for GPU reviews, AMD has had to engage in their own changes too. They have changed how they develop their drivers, how they do competitive analysis, and how they look at stuttering and frame intervals in games. And they’re not done. They’re already working on changing how they do frame pacing for multi-GPU setups, and come July we’re going to have the chance to see the results of AMD’s latest efforts there.

I'm a little surprised they didn't mention PC Perspective's frame rating, as it clearly reflects what the end user perceives. Unless I'm mistaken, though, this is the first time that Anandtech has openly acknowledged frame times for benchmarking purposes, and why they haven't switched to using them.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

More on the frame time analysis stuff: The tool that PC Perspective has been working with, the color-coded frames, is (now?) an Nvidia tool known as FCAT, and it is now officially released.

AnandTech Part I
PCPer

unpronounceable posted:

I'm a little surprised they didn't mention PC Perspective's frame rating, as it clearly reflects what the end user perceives.

That explains my question.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ACID POLICE posted:

Trying to get a replacement GPU to make an older PC (Athlon 64 X2 4600+) currently using onboard graphics more capable as a HTPC, not trying to spend more than $50. It's only got a 250W PSU and I'd like to not have to upgrade that... it currently takes up just below 200W as it is, and it's not worth replacing the PSU too so I don't want to have to do that to run an older bigger card like a GTX 260.

Can I do considerably better than the GT 210 for around $50 without replacing the PSU in it?

Alternatively, I would be open to putting my 6450 1GB in this computer and putting a nicer GPU in my tower, but I wouldn't want to spend more than around $100 in that case, and it runs OS X 99% of the time so I'd pick something based on how it performs in OS X.

You want to ask here, as this thread is not for upgrading questions.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

subx posted:

Anyone have experience using both discrete and onboard video to enable 3 monitors? ASUS Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - I tried finding an option in the bios and there is a "iGPU Multi-Monitor" but I still get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in device manager.

Seems like it should work. Kind of disappointing if I can't get it to work, was hoping to not have another card in the case.

I don't remember what the exact option I needed to enable was in UEFI, but when I enabled it, my third monitor wasn't being detected. I went to the ASUS website, installed the proper graphics drivers, and then it was picked up.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

My friend's 560 Ti worked fine until he updated.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Radeon EVO. EVO is a cool branding name, right?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Animal posted:

Heads up: there's been an NVIDIA Experience update. Shadowplay now records at 16:10 aspect ratio if that is what you play at. In other words, it is now ~perfect~

Hearing things like this make me want to upgrade my GPU, even though I have no reason to. Does it still only work with fullscreen games, or can you record in windowed mode now?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

You can do what I did and get two 290s and then unlock them to 290x's* :v:

*I have no idea if you can still do this.
This whole situation is reminding me of unlocking the 2GB 6950s to 6970s.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Having a ghost post that doesn't appear until someone posts after it is a known forum bug.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, I guess it's a good time to put money away for a new monitor so I can see how this plays out.

I wonder how common the hardware to support the variable vblank intervals is. It'd be really nice to have this without needing to buy a new monitor, especially since my GPU is giving me problems.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

jink posted:

Anandtech just posted their Mantle 'preview' using a high performance Intel setup (Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz) coupled with a 290X.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7728/battlefield-4-mantle-preview

I can't help but be amused that there's a Phenom II in AMD's performance graph.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Triggsz posted:

Fitst post in this subforum go easy. I'm looking to do a small upgrade so i can run Planetside 2 more effectively so i have a question regarding a new GPU.

I'm currently running an old-as-poo poo computer with Q6600 2.4Ghz CPU (OC'd to 2.8) on a Asus Striker II Formula motherboard with two 8800GT's 1024mb and i was recommended the 660 Ti as a cheap upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to keep the price range around $250 or lower and would like to know how compatible it is with what i have.

The OP posted:

Mod Note: This thread is for general GPU and videocard discussion, head over to the parts picking megathread if you just need help picking a card to buy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

20% from boost clock is respectable I'd say; 20% from base is very conservative for Sandy.

Weren't people getting 4.4 GHz pretty trivially? On the 2500k, that's a 33% boost from stock.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sumptious posted:

Would it be worth over clocking my I52500k on just a stock fan or would there be too much of a heat problem to really gain any performance out of it?

For a while, I had to use the stock HSF since the fan on my aftermarket one broke. I didn't test to see how much I could push it, but it was good enough to handle mine at 4 GHz.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been waiting for a few weeks for a new GPU to be released within my budget, and I'm getting really impatient for the Rx 470. I might end up getting a 960 if something doesn't happen soon.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Not working for me and I have Prime and I'm trying to check out with a single Warehouse item... anyone else?

I tried it with two warehouse items in Canada, and it didn't work for me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
How accurate is videocardz.com for news or rumours? I saw this article which supposedly has the specs for the 470 and 460. It also offhandedly mentions that a source says the 470 will launch at the end of July, and become available early August.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Yeah, I always wanted a Jewish GPU

Does this mean I can't game with it from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

they priced it at $329 because when you see the drivers you'll turn 329 degrees and walk away

:raise:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

speaking of which, not a great first showing for the DX9-on-DX12 layer intel is using

Those 1% frametimes being equivalent between the A770, A750, and A380 sure look bad. Is that something that might indicate an incompatibility between the game and hardware architecture, or is that still blameable on the drivers?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

Those won’t work, PCIE 4x only and no physical slot.

Some of them say they have Thunderbolt ports, so full silly would have it connected to an external gpu, assuming it works like i think it should.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Assuming there aren't major shakeups in the next few months, what cards would people recommend for 1440p 60hz? I don't care about ray tracing. I'm just looking to see about what I should expect to budget if I decide to upgrade from my 1060 6GB. I saw some RX 6650XTs on pcpartpicker for $420 CAD, only $10 more than a 6600XT, but more than I'd like to pay.

Shifty Pony posted:

I would buy a GPU named Frank.

I'd only do that if I can buy a case shaped like a stein.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Taima posted:

So people have been talking about using distributed networking or something so you can lend the 4090, or parts of it, to other computers?

Can you actually do that? I am interested...
If you’re thinking of things like Folding@home, where you can let your computer to do some scientific processing while you aren’t using it, we have a thread for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871439

Someone recently posted about a project to render blender projects, if that’s more your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

motherboards are coming with as many as five m.2 slots now, how many dang SSDs do you need

given how scarcely consumers use PCIe now aside from the GPU, cards should be getting chunkier rather than longer IMO

more of this please

If they’re going to do that, then more mobos should come with a pcie 1x or 4x slot above the primary x16 slot for those of us that do use a second one