Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I want to play FF XII. Is there a best way to do so? PS2, emulator (if so which one)? Is there a specific edition I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only things a typical fan remembers are Midgar, Sephiroth walking in the fire during the flashback, Aeris getting shanked, and a made up emo-Cloud.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I needed a blue ray player a few months back so I picked up a PS4, and FFX remastered just for the hell of it. I never played it before, and I basically knew nothing about it except blitzball, most of the characters, and dodging lightning.

I just started playing it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far; even the lovely VA is late 90's/early 2000's as hell so it's almost endearing in a nostalgic way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every final fantasy they've ever done, they've followed up with something weird.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bloodychill posted:

Controversial opinion alert toot toot: FF is good and it is not a press X simulator, that is just experience and gamer elitism speaking

Because on the good ones you press A.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lots of Shimomura talk but no mention that I saw of her Legend of Mana soundtrack, which I think is top tier work.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has the FF XIV soundtrack guy done anything else? Because god drat that game has a solid soundtrack.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What Final Fantasy games actually have old characters? Tellah from IV and Strago from VI were both up there. I think Cyan was 50, but that might have been some dumb strategy guide fluff that missed the mark.

Cid from Tactics I would imagine was up there as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
People that retranslate games are the worst.

One of the more popular re-translations for Esper in VI was to leave it as Genjuu. Great translation idea there; let's not even try to translate the word. Hell, might as well leave the whole game in Japanese.

And then there are people who think the appropriate localization for ケアル (kearu) is somehow keal, and not Cure.

I got way too mad at translation FAQs/patches as a teenager.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gologle posted:

I just want Lightning to return to PC so I can mod her as Kain from FF4 and pretend that Kain is saving the world from a giant moon man riding his moon ship in between FF4 and FF4: The Golden Girls.

I think this is a good idea.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I still think "Your tombstone will read 'your everything.'" is pretty rad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, even 4 which has a pretty rough translation is simple enough that the details don't get lost. Cecil isn't some sort of possible Golbez clone with Kain's memories living a fake life that Rosa is corroborating. Even if 7 was well localized, with that layer of complexity there's bound to be issues.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bloodychill posted:

What's with the hate for 8bit theater? I say that as someone who didn't read it regularly but would occasionally be linked funny ones.

As someone that would read about 2 dozen lovely webcomics a day at that time, I thought 8-bit theater was wordy, unfunny garbage. It had a couple good comics, but it quickly became a parody of itself, rehashing the same joke each update. And then burying that joke under a word salad B^U couldn't even write.

I think Final Fantasy III would have blown me away if I played it at release. Looking back with modern sensibility there's no end to the bad decisions, but there's so many hints at good game play as well. I don't think I could say the same for II.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, at the time the card game may as well have been a coin flip, it was so poorly explained and understood. VIII's base game was simple, and the regional rules understandable if you wanted.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked plus and same as well. Random was poo poo through and through.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Fantasy Explorers also had a Sage job. It specialized in using the high level magic of all the other magic users, but low and mid level spells were costlier to equip.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My favourite fan translation is the old FF4 hard type that translates Cure as Keal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CeallaSo posted:

Not sure why you would want gysahl beer when the vegetable in question is usually described in-game as having an overpowering stink and being practically inedible to humans.

Well a lot of people like durian.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At the very least in Final Fantasy 6, the old man's cider was booze or sake or something. As well as all the token cafes being bars. That got changed in the localization.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Relin posted:

i dont understand why the creator flip flopped on his planet destroying at the last second

bad writing for a bad game

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, he's the new party member they added Judas Matthias. Not sure why they decided to replace Freya with him but he seems trustworthy.

He's closer to the designer's intended vision. Jumping rat people is too immersion breaking in the serious setting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bad Seafood posted:

Is grinding a bad idea then? I just wanted to farm a little JP to get the Squire's boost and movement bonus on everyone.

Grinding for skills is fine, just don't go overboard with your level. Monster stats are all level based, while most of yours will be gear based. Monsters are tough because their level will go up, but your gear stays the same. Even then, unless you're just grinding Squires or Archers or other dumb poo poo, your new skills should be more than enough to deal with the level handicap. Just don't go like 20+ levels higher than story battles. 20 might even be on the safe side, because I'd usually grind an absurd amount to get end-game jobs and builds mastered ASAP, and still just one-shot most levelled encounters.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mega64 posted:

Penelo should've been a moogle ridden by a Scottish cat holding a megaphone.

This would have been more lore friendly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Evil Fluffy posted:

A finger on the money paw curls shut as SE announces Final Fantasy Tactics Mobile, with a gacha system that makes Brave Exvius look generous.

For $5 or a few hours worth of in-game currency, you can upgrade your Squire to a Knight. Buy the FF1 pack and start with a Knight, Black Mage, White Mage, and Thief. Share on social media to unlock unique Bard abilities.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mega64 posted:

Excuse me, in this thread they're berserk men.

In Final Fantasy 14 they're Inner Released men.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

seiferguy posted:

What's the best way to play FFT these days?

PPSSPP War of the Lions with slowdown fix.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The first boss is actually the last boss that was in some never ending time loop was pretty cool for the time. And that the bats were actually people.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Fantasy 1 really only stands out among its contemporaries - kill a dragon, kill a pigdude and retrieve an artifact, etc.

Super techno ancient civilizations and time travel shenanigans aren't so unusual now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lobster22221 posted:

The required one or the optional one? Or the ff4 one? What other games had the demon wall?

7 did in the temple of the ancients. 12 and 14 have some demon wall encounters as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

apophenium posted:

Oh poo poo you can summon Espers? I had no idea!

On the person that has the Esper equipped, go to the top of their magic menu and press up. You can summon each once per battle.

Trappers will ruin you if you're characters are a multiple of level 5.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A couple of them are a bit stronger than 2-level spells. A single phantom cast can basically auto win some dungeons. Fenrir and Golem have their uses similarily. Odin/Raiden have that insta-kill effect that's pretty reliable. Phoenix has an AOE revive.

They're rare, but some of them aren't completely useless. They're just situational tools in an overloaded toolkit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kingtheninja posted:

Just got gogo in 6 last night. Haven't used him yet, but do I just have to time his mimic command to make sure it copies whatever the previous action was?

If you go into his status screen, you can select 3 other commands as well.

Otherwise, mimic will just do the last friendly mimic-able action that resolves before the mimic command.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I didn't even consider that people might not know this. Which upon reflection, the game never goes out of it's way to tell you about.

It blew my mind the first time I stumbled onto that, and I had already completed the game a few times prior.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A friend and I would rent FF6 over and over for the first couple years after it came out. We always knew how to get Gogo, but figured he was just stuck with the Mimic skill as a gimmick.

At one point we rented the game after not having it for a while, and loaded the highest level file. They had Gogo in their party, with the following commands:

Fight
Mimic
Magic
Item

At first we were like what the gently caress? How does he have commands? So we started poking around the menus until we checked Gogo's status and saw there was a cursor on his battle menu. After a bit of messing around, we had other questions. Like why did the previous guy have such a lovely ability list, and not like Tools or Blitz or anything fun.

I think he also had to switch the menu style from list to window or whatever the alternative was, so he could rearrange the commands and then switch back to list. Otherwise Mimic is at the top.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Phantasium posted:

Same, I asked for a Platinum mana game because I still think it would be funny to do sick combos on Rabites.

I didn't know I wanted this, but I desperately do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

If I still have the FFXII International version on my PS2 somewhere in storage, is there enough added to Zodiac Age to justify rebuying it, or should I just stop being lazy and set it up?

There's a fast forward button in Zodiac Age.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd play an FF6 version of Lufia's Ancient Cave.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I generally run the game with generics and Agrias. You get her early enough in the game and her skillset is simple and good.

Most of the chapter four recruits take too long to level like Meliadoul, have bad skillsets like the twins, or are a combination clown factory like Cloud.

Beowulf is cool though, but I never utilize status effects much in the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OneMoreTime posted:

SaGa Frontier was a great game fight me cops.

Only a cop would argue SaGa Frontier wasn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Random though here, one of my favourite things about FFT is how small your stats are and how easy a lot of the stuff is to figure out. Like the basic attack with a weapon is PA * WP. Done. Some are a bit different, factoring MA or SP, some have some randomness, but for the most part it's pretty simple. You know what +1 PA or WP will do for you.

Otherwise you have some games where you're adding 25 to your 300 strength or 10 to your 500 weapon power, and is it a significant improvement? Who the gently caress knows?