Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

COM/COM/COM and RAV/RAV/RAV will get you through the game pretty easily, yeah.

Stacking role bonuses is the way to go, when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ither posted:

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Requiem for a Goddess is the seriously the worst DLC I've ever purchased.

You either have to turtle the battle for hours or die enough times to get strong enough to win. Who the gently caress came up with this?

I dunno, I beat it on my second try. Took about twenty minutes.
I guess I'll spoiler this, in case anyone wants to figure out a strategy on their own.
Abuse Immortality; you shouldn't need more than a single segment's worth if you time it right. In Commando, he's nice enough to warn you before he attacks, and you have just enough time to switch and get a segment charged. You should have enough time to fill an ATB bar between attacks, so you can build the stagger bar then.
I haven't figured out a good method for safely hitting him in Ravager; I tend to get a single attack off between his before jumping back to Knight to reduce the damage. Doing this, you won't take too much damage.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You learn Sin is Jecht pretty early on, but I swear I was properly surprised at the time. And I think that having to sacrifice a guardian to create the Final Aeon to fight Sin was a big revelation, too.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII has some twists. Vanille

I wonder how many of ff13's twists were just Vanille lying to to people because it was easier or to make them feel better.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

If you actually see Gladiolus's dick in the game, I will buy FF15, and a PS4 to play it on, today.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The only actual good early voice acting was in Megaman 8.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

As far as I know, FFT 1.3 can only be played via emulator. You can find the patch itself at insanedifficulty.com, which should tell you what to expect from the mod. I'm guessing instructions are somewhere in there, or at ffhacktics.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

Who said anything about Brave? I was talking about my Sword Number

Brave is a Sword Number, but only when using a katana or knight sword or no weapon at all.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I remember the FFT board at GameFAQs got really good at getting people past Riovanes, even if they couldn't abuse Yell+Accumulate or Auto-potion. But sometimes the best solution was to pray for a crit with a random damage weapon.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

[wandering aimlessly in a dungeon, fighting encounters randomly with invisible enemies]: Aw HELL yeah, this is #winning!!

[npc instructs me to kill specific types of enemies]: *makes the nope stretch engineer face, turns 360 degrees like the xbox 360 and walks away*

This is my attitude exactly.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I didn't have time for any of that because I had to pick up my secretary's mail.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I played chapter 13 a couple nights ago and had a good time dance-nuking around everything. If Holy sucked at release, I can see how 13 got its reputation, though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

uhh do you seriously have to grind the same one or two lovely low level hunts to get anywhere in Comrades?

This is like if they took all the actual good parts of FFXV out and then made it into a massive chore. Does it get any better? Like is this trying to be some sort of incredibly lovely MMO or what

For a while, yeah. Then you get to grind on the same one or two slightly higher level hunts. Pretty soon you can start punching well above your level, and in Old Lestallum you can start trading gil for meteor bits, which speeds things up. I'm still working my way over to Galdin, but the shape of the game hasn't changed much so far and I doubt it will after I get there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I went back and read parts of 8-bit theatre recently, and I enjoyed it more than most Final Fantasies.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The weird thing about the FFVIII Concert is there are two songs the band can serenade Squall and Rinoa with. There is a recurring motif throughout the game that is basically their love theme and that is one of the options for the band to play. HOWEVER, if you have the band play this song, Squall and Rinoa get into a fight and she runs away.

The other song choice is...an Irish jig. Not only do Squall and Rinoa not fight if this is playing, they both open up and talk more about themselves.

This is such a peculiar design decision and if there is any chance of an in-universe explanation it's that "Eyes on Me", the song that causes the fight, was written by Rinoa's mother who died tragically young and this has caused a lot of problems in Rinoa's life. Of course the game never really addresses this. You just kinda have to assume it, same for Irvine's "actual" reason for being a terrible sharpshooter.

I never knew this was a thing. I knew there were two songs but not that the scene changed like that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I enjoyed Ch13 more than Titan, Leviathan, or the ignis dungeon, even if it did go on a while and I got really annoyed by the not-dead bodies everywhere.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Holding down the warp strike button casts Alternis, which is just X-Zone/Warp from older games. Takes all your MP and sucks all the enemies away into the void but you don't get any drops I think.

It's pretty strong, and definitely tells us how challenging the developers want the game to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSk05He_7P4&t=480s

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Holy is lovely now but it used to be the only real option. The instant-death stuff usually didn't work (and never worked on any enemy outside of Chapter 13) so Holy was the only reliable damage output.

Holy owns, though. If you time it, instead of sitting in it, it does good damage and restores way more mp than it costs.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

(or you can just talk to the magic dog and return to the open world :woof:)

I've seen some people unhappy about this but it's the best part of the game. Like not even for how player-friendly it is, but just having a time travelling magic dog out of nowhere is great.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the worst boss fights I can't believe any of the poo poo like leviathan or the titan guy even made it into the game.

well I'm with you on this bit. Wasn't happy with part 2 of the final boss, either, tbh.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How loving dead inside do you have to be to not enjoy those fights. Yes Leviathan was just hold B and enjoy being Goku that's the point

Noctis is always Goku, and had been going Super True King on command for a while by then. I was enjoying being kinda outmatched, even though I knew in my heart that this was an interactive cutscene and not a cool boss fight or flashy puzzle.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

I'm deciding whether to pick up 12 or 15 for the PC to break in a new rig I'm getting. What's the general consensus on which game is better and has the better PC port?

15 has a pc demo, if that would help you decide. The core gameplay doesn't change significantly from what's in there. It's the better game, but I haven't touched the 12 port.

e: hahahaha

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

rip episode demon hunter iris

Foolishly, I was kinda looking forward to seeing some of this in Comrades.

Sapozhnik posted:

Also apparently Comrades is getting some big updates, which is quite cool I think

let my beefy barbie take his shirt off, please

aegof fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 6, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

That... doesn't sound easy at all. How do guarantee a character getting exactly 7677 hp?

You can also get 77 hp, or 177 hp, or 277 hp, and so on, and fill in the difference with healing that doesn't touch those last two digits.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

The best endgame limit break in FFVIII (Angel Wing) requires magic to use anyway, so magic is still plenty strong.

Yeah, why are y'all talking about the difference between FF8's endgame limit breaks and magic as if you had to choose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-q5FEsm6w

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Auto-potion trivializes Weigraf, and also, most of the game.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Aaaaand now I'm on a rooftop on another "protect the idiot AI" mission. what fresh hell is this?

This fight is more bullshit than the other one, "requiring" even more advance knowledge.
You only need to knock one enemy into critical health to win.
The enemy AI will go after the most easily-killed unit first. Send someone in unarmored.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Weigraf is totally beatable without needing any sort of cheesy strategy at all. People jump to suggest abusing Ramza's stat boosts, but you shouldn't need to unless you're under-leveled/jobbed/equipped. And it's not like Ramza's not had to 1-1 a swordskill unit before.

Riovanes 3 is way meaner.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Those guys will harass you across the entire open world. Like Gologle said, you can own them all at once with even a cheap magic spell, or walk away from them, but you should just kinda expect them to show up during every hunt or fight that takes more than a minute or two.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tingle's stories tend to make more sense than FF stories, tbh. SE could learn something from 'em.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Episode Prompto is kinda bad unless you're really desperate for the guy's backstory or more Arenea.

Episode Ignis has some cute gameplay elements and an *~alternate ending~* to the main game, and is probably the best of the three.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dross posted:

Do I have to replay FFXV to get the real experience now or what? I finished it when it was new.

FFXV got it's promised summer update today, so there's Dark Souls-y player ghosts running around and you can customize Noctis into an avatar from the Comrades expansion and etc. And of course on PC, you can put Prompto in Cindy's outfit and replace Ignis with Donald Duck riding a mech, so I guess PC is the Real Experience now.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Gah holy poo poo guys what is even going on?! Just finished chapter 11. The mention and noticing of shorter days is really eerie and that train battle was fun, but what became of my best bro prompto? Will he ever forgive me?

For the answers to these questions and more, buy the Prompto DLC!!!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the game presents it as an honourable sword duel but you can win that way because he's better at swordfighting than you are, I believe the standard strategy is to scream until you achieve unity with the speed force and then shoot him in the face with a gun 700 times before he can move

I always wanted to think that this wasn’t the “standard” method, just one that had a good chance of working for anybody stuck there. Because most people would be able to get past it, even if it was a bit tricky for their Ramza. But I’m beginning to think that no, most people really are bad at FFT.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

FFT

I just beat the last boss in Orbonne Monastery chapter 3. Managed to snipe him with a summon as he was running away.

What should I do to prepare for the next series of battles? I understand they are pain in the rear end.

What's your Ramza look like?
Do you have a high speed unit?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

I am attempting my fifth run of Final Fantasy Tactics, and if youve never seen me post it about it before, I hate this game. I just want to finish this thing, finally, so Id like to request the absolute most braindead overpowered setups, grinding tricks, and I swear to god Ill use them if cheats exists in War of the Lions.

Auto-potion in Chemist.

Grab the barehand passive from Monk. Use brave-boosting abilities to push Brave up--every 4 points in a battle will raise it permanently by one, to a max of 97. Since Brave boosts unarmed damage, and the monk passive makes it pretty good already, you'll be hitting real hard. Then become a Ninja, punch everything to death. With just Ramza set up like this, you can breeze through most of the game. With a second barefist Ninja, you should be unstoppable. This is a lot of JP though, so:

You can gain JP "quickly" without gaining too many levels by hiring a level 1 jerk and tapping them lightly for an hour.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I never even thought about the fact Auron's been in Dream Zanarkand for ten years and he got there explicitly by riding Sin which obviously means there was already a new Sin created for him to ride.

A smaller detail, but did we ever learn how long ago Lulu's previous summoner died? I remember assuming it was years before the game, but never connected that to Sin's reappearance.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

AweStriker posted:

You say that now but I got destroyed at Dorter and I have no idea what I could have done to prevent it.

Item on everyone, kill the archer on the high ground ASAP. The guests will probably try to go after him too, but absolutely do not count on them to get the job done. The other enemy units can be dangerous, but the longbow archer is the most dangerous thing on the field, aside from your AI allies.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

Doomtrain should had the theme song that Red Chocobo got in FF13-2. Just replace some of the lyrics with the stuff Selphie says about trains.

Is Doomtrain in 14 yet? there might still be time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

If you find you really like one of the boys's gameplay, you can get abilities to let you switch to one until the fight ends. It's kinda neat, but I didn't use it much because you have to use it for each fight instead of turning it on for an hour or whatever.