Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I never played 12 at all and I'm really hype to finally do so :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Lol if you think 4x speed being an improvement is a sign of a quality game.

Good thing that literally nobody said that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That should be in every FF game. Also every non FF game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is time mage worth it? Can you haste yourself then haste other party members then slow enemies or do debuffs like that only work on dumpy trash enemies making them not worth bothering with?

I've never played FF12 and I'm going to start it tonight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Time Mage isn't good until way later because you don't get Haste until way later, and until then you're just a lousy crossbow guy.

So time mage is a good secondary job then? What does it synergize best with? You can do all kinds of cool things with haste in RPGs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I have this code to download background music or something. I redeemed it and I have no idea what it does. Can I use it on my main ps4 menu or something? That would be cool.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So after going through that gamefaqs link (thanks btw) this is how I think I'm going to build my nerds when I get to start playing in a little while:

Breaker/Hunter - Basch
White Mage/Machinist - Penelo or Fran
Samurai/Monk - Vaan
Knight/Time Mage - Balthier
Red Mage/Black Mage - Ashe
Archer/Uhlan - Fran or Penelo

I hate putting Penelo and Fran in stereotypical roles but based on their stats it just makes sense.

Any strong arguments one way or another? Any obvious flaws or drawbacks in this? I'm not looking to minmax but I want good builds that us as many classes as possible since this is my first time playing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I picked Breaker for Vaan. Debuffery!

This game looks fantastic and I don't hear the voice audio problems everyone complained about but I have a nice audio setup with full surround and all that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FFT is easily the hardest FF but it's also easily the best.

Liking FF12 so far. Some of the reorchestrated musical pieces are better than the originals and some are worse. I like the original version of the Rabanastre music better than the new one. It had a better tempo. The new one sounds too fast.

Any tips for any of the trials? I'm going to mess around with them tonight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

Each trial autosaves, if you load the autosave it dumps you into the main game with whatever exp, lp and items you have earned. Trials mode then starts over at stage one.

Can you grind stage 1? I'm not sure I want to grind too hard but it would be cool to get a jump start.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I can understand why he's a bit frustrated, but it really just changes the story from "Delays are all Nomura's fault" to "Delays are mostly Nomura's fault". A more competent producer would have worked around the staffing issues rather than shrugging.

LMAO you've never worked in software development before, have you? You sound like every pointy haired boss from Dilbert idiot manager I've ever worked with in the last 20 years of my corporate career.

GJ being the epitome of the stereotypical entitled whiny gamer. :laugh:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is there a good Quickening guide? I'd like to know which piece of each board is the best to ignore/cut off? Is it dependent on the character/job combo or what?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How does Libra work? I can't select any foe conditions for it. It's basically a "scan for weakness" ability, right?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How do I beat the first Demon Wall? I've been grinding trials for fun a lot and I have most people's boards filled out with most important stuff, most people have level 3 Quickenings, and when I chain them together I do like 4000 damage which is maybe 25-30% of its health. Then Balthier gets x-zoned which I don't have any way to prevent or fix, then even with a Hastega stone the rest of the party can't do enough damage to win.

What the gently caress I thought this game was ~ezpz~.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What levels are your characters at? And do you have them all fighting barehanded or something? I managed it pretty easily with 22/23 guys and gals.

If you're doing it just to get the Demonsbane, be aware that they've tweaked the % chance of it appearing in the "prize" chest at the end of the secret area. It went from 19-ish% in the original NA release to approximately 0.00% in the IZJS and Zodiac Age versions.

Enjoy your scathe mote :yotj:

Wait, so even if I grind to beat this nerd I'm not guaranteed the special sword? gently caress that.

Also what trial gives the Karkata?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, be glad I told you now and not after you'd reloaded fifty times trying to get a drop that would never happen. You seriously only get a single scathe mote for your trouble if you manage to kill the thing--it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.

You'll be able to buy the sword at a few weapon shops soon though, so at least that's something? :confuoot:

Holy poo poo yeah thanks for telling me that now. Gonna skip it. What a stupid change.

Which trial gives the Karkata? I want to spend some time trying for it later.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

Stage 3, super rare steal from the Flowering Cactoid.

Thanks. I couldn't find a good list of rare steal items in trial mode.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

King Bahamut posted:

Am I missing an unlock camera button, because I can't see how a goddamned thing is targeted. If it's a flying enemy I can't even see the damage numbers because my leader gets underneath it

On an unrelated note how do you resist going to trial mode and unlocking the whole license board at level 22--I can get to state 14/~220 LP in 3 minutes at 4x practically AFK

At some point you fill out almost everything for everyone and then you just save the remaining points for when you get to a shop with new stuff to unlock the ability to wear newer better stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Anyone who said they have no idea why Vaan joins the party either has a terrible memory or is a habitual cutscene skipper/ignorer because I just watched a cutscene at the garif village where Vaan literally explains it to Ashe out loud using simple, easily understood words.

In other news this game is way more fun now that I have 2 jobs for everyone and lots of gambit slots. I don't have to spend tons of time un-debuffing people manually, the proper spells get cast at the enemies, people have more access to more gear options, etc.

Oh and I also got a Karkata from trial mode. Balthier is a steamroller now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

Though I cannot imagine playing the game without 4x speed.

This. So much. I only use 2x because it's my first time playing the game and I actually want to look around and see stuff, but I really don't think I'd be enjoying this game so much if it wasn't for the speed boosts.

The 3x speed boosts also made my playthrough of FF7 HD a lot more fun. I actually beat the weapons for the first time ever and part of that was not getting burned out on the game because I could play through it so fast. Even grinding magic pots in the crater wasn't painful thanks to 3x speed.

Every modern RPG should have that feature.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
WTF kind of garbage-rear end RPG doesn't have a world map?

The more I learn about FFX the more I never want to play it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Every one made after 1999

Uhhh FF12 is a counter-example?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

The only games that do nowadays are deliberate retro throwbacks, the Bravely's and Setsuna for example.

I know you all hated FF15 or whatever but it had a world map and it's not a retro throwback.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

What the gently caress.

It has a map that shows you where places in the world are in relation to other places.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's not what we thought you meant by "world map." We're talking about the FF1-9 thing where you leave a town and suddenly you're huge and you can get in an airship and fly around the world and stuff like that.

If that's what you mean by a "world map," like "sometimes you can see a map and it shows you where everything is," FFX has one of those and it's used exactly the same as the one in FFXII: sometimes it shows up to show you your characters' path as you travel, and then when you get an airship you use it to decide where to go.

Fair enough. I call that an overworld but I see what you mean.

Sorry for confusing everyone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks to whoever suggested making Aero the default spell for my mage in FF12. poo poo melts like crazy now.

Is there a good gambit for Haste or should I not even bother with that and just manually cast it during boss fights? Balthier is my knight/time mage and it seems like he casts it every 10 seconds because I'm assuming it doesn't last very long. Is there a way to extend the buff time?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

Esuna is loving awesome because now I can just it with all:any and not have to use up gambit slots for separate debuffs. Holy poo poo that sucked.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Remedy Lores are even better, because they let Remedies cover things that even Esuna can't cure, like Doom and Disease. Any character with three Remedy Lores should probably have an Ally: any -> Remedy gambit, especially since you can buy Remedies fairly early on.

Yeah I'm doing this for everyone. I love that it's a thing everyone can do.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The Ring of Lucis owns because it's not a nerfed piece of poo poo like most other things in FF games. I'm so used to things like debuffs only working on trash mobs that don't need to be debuffed anyway, and never working on bosses or big tough creatures that I was genuinely surprised to see that it works on just about everything.

I also thought that maybe it lowered the xp or drops you get from enemies killed by it but nope, there are no drawbacks to abusing it and that's so refreshing in an FF game.

Oh and it also makes Noctis do a Michael Jackson pose :c00l:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How does Shades of Black work? Like I get the general idea from reading the description but does it draw from spells a character knows or is it any random spell in the game or what?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Lightning owns because she punched Snow. Twice. Hard. And gently caress Snow. Worst FF character ever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'll ever play 13-2 or LR. I legit liked 13 and had high hopes for 13-2 but then I played the demo for an hour and it was loving awful. Then I read the plot synopses for 13-2 and LR and I was haha naw.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

I'd like to play XIII-2 and LR but ever since I installed the Windows Creators update none of the games in the XIII trilogy will work. :mad:

:pcgaming:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

VI is cool in that it has 2 main protagonists for the different parts of the game, for sure. Celes ends up having a much better story over Terra, especially if Cid dies.

I think Cloud still is the best, and a lot of people tend to project Squall's brooding imperfections onto him (Advent Children didn't help either). The reality is Cloud is a happy go lucky guy wherein right before the final battle he tells everyone "alright, let's mosey."

Cloud is not a happy-go-lucky. He has a hosed up childhood and a hosed up life and was further hosed up by being a test subject for Hojo. He is a hosed up in the head guy. He is a dark brooding emo guy because hey that's how people behave when their lives are hosed up a million ways. The reason he's in a better mood before the northern crater dive is because Tifa helped him work his poo poo out and accept reality. It clears his head and he has a new outlook on life and does thing with a renewed sense of purpose instead of "It's not my problem (that the planet's dyin')".

Lightning broods all the time for understandable reasons if you'r not a soulless shithead. Her entire world got turned upside down in a single day. Her sister is missing, the city she's supposed to defend turned into a dumpster fire, and all the people in power that she used to report to and trust turned out to be huge pieces of poo poo that were only out for themselves. Then there's the whole "you will do blow up your home moon or turn into a crystal and so will everyone you care about" thing. I would be down in the loving dumps pretty hard if that happened to me. That's why I love the Snow punching cutscene so much. Snow tries to be the stereotypical anime hero who ignores harsh realities and just says "I'll save my girlfriend and the world no matter what!" and Lightning knocks some sense into him and forces him to confront the cold hard reality of the situation and reminds him that he's not an anime hero. And people always forget how Lightning eventually saves her sister and meets Fang and learns from her and the rest of the party members and becomes an actual legit leader and heroine. Lightning loving owns.

Ramza is king poo poo of gently caress mountain in terms of protagonists though. He is almost quite literally the only moral, ethical, and sane person in an entire continent of corrupt, power-hungry, vile, evil pieces of poo poo. He leads by example and actually manages to be a legit hero and inspires others to become less lovely people.

Fang will always be my favorite FF character though, even if she's not a main character :swoon: She'll do anything to protect and help the people she cares about and she doesn't take poo poo from anyone. And the reason she doesn't take poo poo from anyone is because she will kick your loving rear end and she'll do it with style.

Celes might be a close second because she is totally a general and not some opera floozy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Locke is nothing like Snow because Locke is fun and cool and Snow is just super annoying all the time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

Because I hate myself I'm playing 15 again. Why is the camera so horrible in this game?

:what:

I never had any problems with the camera. Are you controlling it with your feet or something?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, point taken, she's not some kind of sociopath. But she is like some kind of space alien because I have never seen a human being act even remotely like that. I would say she acts like a toddler which is unsettling in and of itself because she looks like a teenager, but that's not giving enough credit to toddlers because even they won't behave like that.

Dude the way Vanille behaves is Japanese as gently caress. A huge part of their culture is straight-up lying to people they care about to protect their feelings.

And I'm not judging that part of the culture either. Other cultures do it too (including America) but in different ways.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

How can someone like a game that I don't like??? gently caress YOU FOR LIKING SOMETHING I DON'T

That poo poo would be a lot more tolerable if people learned to stop stating their opinions as facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I hated Prompto at first but he grew on me pretty quick. My wife loves him.