Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

Yeah, FF4 DS is the hardest version of the game for sure. Some bosses that were jokes or pretty easy in the original are really tough. The fight against Golbez in the underworld was a glorify cutscene with Rydia killing him in one hit is now a full boss fight, with Golbez changing his barrier constantly and using hit all spells, now with about 20,000 HPs instead of 5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The translation is horrible, but the PS1 version of Final Fantasy V is finally playable on the Vita. Good for a portable fiesta experience.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

This trailer for Lightning Returns is interesting, as it a recap of the FFXIII and FFIII-2 plot using Final Fantasy VI style sprites. It really well done too, but bums me out they cant just make a new game like this, instead of the horrible iOS style they been using.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

That is a masterpiece. Whoever made it perfectly captured how incredibly stupid the plot of 13-2 is and the random jumps in 13. There is a palpable loathing for the source material all over it.

Good sprites and remixes of the music, too.

This was posted on the official Square Enix North America channel. So it shows how much Square thinks of the plot of those games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well at least with Final Fantasy III being on the PC means people can probably make mods for it to fix the difficulty hopefully. Maybe also figure out a way to add "save anywhere" or at least a save point in the final dungeon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

It was possible to permanently save anywhere in the DS version if you had a way of enabling cheats. You'd be surprised how many older games could actually let you save anywhere, and not just at designated save points, if you disabled whatever prevented you from saving. For instance, Metroid II on the Game Boy had a few dozen save points, but by pressing the start button again a certain amount of time after saving, it would save your new location. You could keep this up as long as you didn't screw up the timing.

Oh cool. Even if a mod doesn't get made, someone probably can get Cheat Engine to enable this on the PC version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thought it was funny how they went from "it won't be out until August" to suddenly out yesterday.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BloodWulfe posted:

I'm not very far into Type-0 yet, but so far the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff is way more engrossing in it than it was in any of the XIII games. L'Cie and Eidolons, and the world building in general, are way more interesting so far.

I genuinely don't remember if this was the case in XIII, but I guess if you die in Type-0 your existence is sort of wiped from everyone's memory. Is that about right? So if no one finds your memory codex it's like you never existed?

That's super hosed up.

If it was the case in XIII, then we wouldn't had got Hope's terrible plot about avenging his mom.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does Happy Blue Cow still post in the thread? I been wondering if a new thread is needed since there are several games missing from the OP along with a few re-releases that are not covered as well.

Also this sounds odd, but am I only the one who enjoys Final Fantasy III DS? Maybe it because I am the type who still prefers to play Final Fantasy Origin over the later GBA version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

I can see an FFVIII retranslation now...

"We will not change Final Fantasy VIII's plot in any way."

"The following characters are being removed for being insignificant and poorly written:
Zell
Selphie
Irvine
Cid
CC Group
Seifer
Raijin
Ultimecia
Laguna
Kid Ellone
Rinoa
The holes in the cast will be replaced by characters from my FFVIII fanfiction 'Better Off Forgotten,' a sweeping 3000 chapter story that elaborates on what I think the FFVIII universe is about and the dangers of GF use."

All characters replaced by NORG!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we all agree the worst character in Final Fantasy is the kid at the Final Fantasy VI Auction House. Nothing is more annoying then trying to get the two espers only for the talking chocobo or the other crap appear and waste time for the 'hilarious' scene with the kid's dad buying it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Hey, I can think of JRPGs that had more than 4 people in a battle party. Like, uh.

Atelier Escha & Logy? Sort of?

All the Suikoden games have six party members except IV, but that was the black sheep of the series.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are they still releasing new ones in Japan? I hope they do another Mystic Quest song and character.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Levantine posted:

The DS style Final Fantasy IV is now on Steam. If you want to play it again, I guess. 15.99 is pretty steep for a game I've played and beaten a hundred times but at least it isn't the After Years!

Can someone do a trip report? I honestly like both this version of FFIV and the PSP version I have on my Vita for different reasons. That said, thinking of this version reminds me of how much of a pain Dr. Lugae was.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

Whoa, series as in Final Fantasy or just the XIII games?

Probably XIII, but considering how IV just came out last night, we might get a port of the Android version of V, VI, and/or Tactics among the way.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

my favorite jrpg name is Twice H. Peaceman.

fuckin love that name

you do realize the name 'ashe' is totally derived from a word, right

Wow that the most anime name since Hot Coldman from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker...which he probably should got this name instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Quest mode is really fun, way better than the dark notes in the first theatryhmt.

No lie, I never could finish Dark Notes in the first game, which sucked since certain songs were locked behind them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

She's a lot better in the Japanese version. Her voice actress does a lot to make her feel punchy and energetic.

Which the sad part is the fact the US voice actress for Lightning CAN be punchy and energetic as seen in Kid Icarus when she playing Palutena.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone should try the Ultimate version of Final Fantasy IV Battle Theme. That song wrecked me when it appeared at Expert during the second Quest Melody.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only issue I have with Curtain Call is using the analog stick for the swipes and somehow it not registering the motion when I did them right.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Otcho posted:

So do DLC songs pop up in Quest Medley? I'd like to get me some sweet extra tunes but I only play the medley mode...

Allarion posted:

Yeah they do.

Yeah it was very surreal running into Crazy Chocobo in the middle of a quest...man that song is rough in higher difficulties.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we just have a version just starring Quistis and Seifer doing more blackop stuff?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Himuro posted:

Gba version with SNES version music patch.

This but also with this patch to get the color corrected back to the SNES style instead of the washed out GBA look it had. Speaking of FFVI, I am near the end of replaying it on the Vita, and that version isn't too bad outside of the short load time in-between fights. That said I would still recommend the GBA version with those two patches applied. I just been playing this version since it's hard to find a legit copy of the GBA version, so the Vita version is the next best mobile version of the game that isn't on the IOS.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

Suikoden II improved a lot of things from the first game, but the mostly the same combat with some quality of life changes like more runes slots. Only major change was the new major battle system, which was a downgrade since it barely worked.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

I actually thought he was voiced by Billy West when I first played it.

It would made the interactions with Wakka more hilarious in context.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

You mean a whole disc change and being locked up in a far away prison? That 5 minutes?

I just watch someone stream it the other day and it was more like a half hour, as there was a entire Laguna section (with Rinoa being the one in charge) first before Zell and them break out, which then cuts to Squall being tortured. In light of that theory they should just pull a fakeout and left Squall die permanently there and the rest of the party just takes over from there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I tried playing the PC version of FF7 using these models, but they just got boring to use after a point. The only ones I kinda like where the person was just redoing the chibi characters in more normal looking shapes, but they are not super detail and don't clash too much with the really grainy looking backgrounds (which I really wish someone could find a way to make those better looking).

Even then this still isn't that great and I just ended up playing the PS1 version on the Vita instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They were rushed, but I liked the Final Fantasy VI and VII translation. They just have a certain charm to them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna fight Karl Boss and go hunt some Y Burns.

Mega64 posted:

Just be wary of Dinglberries.

All while using pirate lingo speaking Princess Salsa.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwartzcough posted:

Hahaha, SE just announced they would finally give gamers what they want... FFVII is coming back, on Playstation 4!

...As a port with some smoothing filters in place. :geno: Nice troll, SE.

And if it the port of the PC version...midi music.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Flavahbeast posted:

is type 0 gonna be on the PSN store?

I guess it won't show up until tomorrow store update. Demo is neat, but I am honestly excited to play Type-0. Still think $60 is a bit much for it, but at least the Best Buy GCU took ten bucks off of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While not the best looking HD upgrade of a PSP game, but I am really enjoying Type-0. Trying to avoid spoilers, but can you recruit additional party members, because I found out the tonberry you can see in the classroom is playable later and curious who else you can get to join.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Level Slide posted:

I hope Stella is voiced by Lightning except Ali Hillis is allowed to emote this time.

So you are saying you want her to voice the character like Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Locke posted:

I know you're probably being sarcastic here but i would kill for dialog half as fun and well delivered as KI:U's greek chorus banter to appear in more games.

Not at all, that was a huge surprise to find out that the lady who does Lightning is Palutena from KI:U.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tempo 119 posted:

In Type-0 is it possible to change the order your reserves cycle into the party?

Yeah you can rearrange it at the save point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwartzcough posted:

Is there a better place to grind, where you can switch party members? How are you supposed to keep your team evenly leveled if you can't swap people in and out conveniently, and leaving town eats up 6 hours of your limited time between missions?

The towns on the overworld eat six hours too? I know leaving the campus does that, but I didn't think the ones you liberate do that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just hope Bart and more music from Mystic Quest are in Dissedia 3. And I mean the original Mystic Quest, not the weird bootleg remake.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Constantine XI posted:

OP, you forgot Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in the spin-off section.

There is a few games missing from the OP...which hasn't been updated in three years!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

Don't, lootcrate kinda sucks, I did it for a couple months. Just order the good stuff like that Celes poster or Rydia facing down Golbez or that train suplex thing.

The Ashen video from last month lootcrate is a good example to not subscribe. Even if you don't click the video, the thumbnail will show you the quality of content you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PlypCTMEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minrad posted:

I haven't played the steam port but I did play the 3d remake on tablet that the port is uh, porting.

I kind of like/hated the challenge modes, so I didn't miss them much, but they didn't put anything in to replace them in terms of exp, so you end up on the moon with dudes that are brutally too low level to be useful, so for example wanting to do my palom/porom/ursula/leonora/luca party was a huge pain in the rear end since they werent the proper level from doing the challenge dungeons, so I had to spend like an hour or two just slowly grinding poo poo on the moon and healing at the whale.

I still think the PSP port is the best version of 4 and TAY.

Lookit them non-ugly 2d graphics... I wanna boot it up and play it again but my PSP is in awful, awful shape, and I don't particularly care about upgrading or replacing it. Oh well.

Why not just get a Playstation TV, they are only $50 dollars and this game does work on it.