Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fruitpunch posted:

I believe it does, yeah. I keep trying to play TO but I just can't get into it, last year I replayed FFT and thought it would be the perfect time to try and beat TO but I guess I'm not pro enough for it.
A PSTV is probably the best way to play the most amount of final fantasy, still no loving Crisis Core though :argh:

Is there any way to get TWEWY on iPad now? Is that port even any good or would i be better off tracking down the DS version?

Believe it does work. Only PSP game on the PSN Store that doesn't work are Peace Walker and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles because Konami is too busy being dead to update them to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
At least Type 0 being on the PC means someone can make a fanpatch to fix that awful camera.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Skeezy posted:

The PC port of FFVII comes out for the PS4 on October 16th. Price is $16.99

If it really the PC version, will it still have the grainy backgrounds art?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

It's strange that the Xbox 360 and Nintendo both had initiatives to make RPGs from a supposed dream team of talent. Which do you will aged better, Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon/Last Remnant or Pandora's Tower/The Last Story/Xenoblade Chronicles?

Blue Dragoon will forever be remembered for creating this song for Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpw-8vxZag

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fhqwhgads posted:

I downloaded the FF Portal on my phone and FFI since it was free. Which verson of FFI is this? As in, what's been fixed/changed/still broken (I see they have an MP system rather than the original spell uses)?

Think it's the PSP release (HD version of GBA version with new content/magic system), which was on the IOS/Android before, but never optimized for tablets that this version seems to be.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can the final boss just be a traffic accident on the way to the beach, and they need defeat Ifrit to put out the fire and roll credits as they pull up.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't want it to be rebalanced, i like killing everything with bunny assassins

Bet it will make every map be like the lawless region, where there no judge on the map and you can permanently lose a party member.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

All I know about Proto-FFVIII is that it was initially intended to have a huge love triangle between Squall, Seifer and Rinoa. You can still see that plain as day in the game as it receives all kinds of hints and build-up. But, true to form, FFVIII fails to deliver and the subplot just goes nowhere. Kinda like Seifer's overall character arc, sadly. I was very interested to see there is actually some unused dialogue that is still in the game files that has Rinoa talking about why she was attracted to Seifer during her and Squall's scene on the Ragnarok.

There are also the accusations that FFVIII stole Xenogears' budget. We only know for a fact that FFVII stole some of its budget but it seems highly likely that FFVIII did the same.

Sunning posted:

From various interviews and books on FF8's development:

- The considered having the Gardens transform and merge together as one like in super robots shows but the idea was dropped.

Xenogear in return stole the giant robot transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbeo3b8QYes

Related note, I still have on clue what Ft Hurricane is suppose to be, as it part of the infamous Disc 2 chair sequence.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bet Lara Croft will be in it to promote her new game.

Also I hope Marche and Mewt is reverse and Marche is on 'Team Chaos'.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it odd that I am happy to see the Avalanche trio in the video.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

steal sucks so bad.

Enemies have multiple items and since you learn skills from equipment you really want to get it all so every boss fight is 15 minutes of hitting defend and steal over and over and over to get some 1/64th chance to get the rare item which because it's 1999 you can't even look online to see if the rare item will be something you care about or an x-potion.

And if you bought the strategy guide, it probably just told you to visit Playonline and enter the code to see where the steal info is at.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't Dirge of Cerberus the one with two sisters, one a scientist who dressed like a hooker with a eye patch, and her other sister who trapped in the body of a six year old?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably wouldn't mind Vaan more if his outfit wasn't so horrible to look at. Why couldn't he been the one who died in the intro and his brother was the main character instead. At least he wore knight armor.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Armor with his belly completely exposed.

Also booty shorts. He's basically Kuja.

I thought he wore a full plate armor. Then again, it been years since I played XII so I forgot that detail.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not that it matters, as he dies to a blitzmine a week later.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
But what about Sid?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Snowe had it coming.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maybe it a speedboat with wings now?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

I've been replaying FF7 on PS4 recently and was annoyed with the guides on gamefaqs because all I was really interested in was missable materia and poo poo like that and they go into too much detail and in classic gamefaqs fashion are all "Make sure you grind a few levels here so you can steamroll the boss" or "make sure you buy all this item for your 99 item run" etc etc, and I remembered I had this neat if kind of hilariously flawed guide when I bought the game. The Versus Books guide. I also remembered that I'd kept it around somewhere but wasn't sure where so I went looking in my storage and found it... and a lot of other interesting memories. When I went all-digital, I got rid of all my games with the exception of some rare imports and favorite games with emotional attachment. So I present to thee...

This thing. Sun-bleached somehow to the point of being almost impossible to read and the glue-binding has mostly come apart so it's just a stack of paper. It came with a really great poster that is still one of my favorite bits of FF7 art but I've since lost it. Also the guide is flat-out wrong about some things but I guess it was based on a pre-release build.

Of course this. Still in good condition except a scratch on the jewel case which is obviously no big deal. Apparently these are worth money these days? Not that I intend to sell it, kinda neat though.

My favorite game bearing the Final Fantasy name! I still fondly remember getting crushed the first few times I played the first match before I started to "get" how an SRPG works.

This piece of crap. I got it to finally play FF5. The games are great but everyone who's played it knows already knows the FF5 translation is overly dry and both games have dialog and menu lag. I can't remember whether it was because they were running their translations on the fly like Chronotrigger or some PSX memory buffer issue. Still, blegh.

Oh hey, I forgot I had this at all. Never got around to finishing it even though I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh gently caress you Lightning why you gotta be in everything

Not pictured are my SNES copies of FF2 US and my FF8 and FF9 because they're all back in California in my parents' garage if they haven't already thrown them away.

I still have this poster (lost the guide in middle school through), but it so damaged at this point that I put it away to keep it from being ruined more.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I assume we'll actually get a villain rep for 13 (probably Caius) but I wonder if we'll get one for Tactics.

I could see it being Wiegraf, since he the longest living villain in the game and the most personal to Ramza. Plus they have a built in super move of him turning into Belias.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CeallaSo posted:

Like Wiegraf, Ajora comes with the benefit of having a built-in transformation. It'd be cool to see her transform into a giant creepy skeleton.

Imagine if they used Ajora, they probably give her a alt outfit for Ramza's sister.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gologle posted:

That Garland costume is SOOOOO loving GOOOOOOD. Holy poo poo, why couldn't that have been in Dissidia or Duodecim? Also I hope they put Grahf in as a character somehow.
DO YOU DESIRE POWER

Well they used Weltal in some f2p phone game recently, so they still have the Xenogear characters, so it a possibility!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

I hope the villain for X is the big whale thing, and it's kept in scale with the other characters. That was the best part of X.

But that means replacing Jehct!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

FF15 is Stand By Me: The Anime.

Should take a cue from another Stephen King book and have a evil clown be the villain.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Actually, change my question to "When is Amano going to draw Donald Trump?" I'm ready for a new avatar.

There isn't a Amano drew Prince icon to replace the Bowie one?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder why the first game isn't on Steam yet? II has issues and I do love that clunky game, but you figured the original would got ported from the PSP one that on IOS/Android ages ago?

That said, I would love if they gave you the option of the PSP graphics with the Origins gameplay for I & II before it got made super easy for the GBA and later releases.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, you know, just casually ripping open the boundaries of reality. No big deal, really.

The laws of the universe means nothing!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we agree the worst Cid is the one from Spirits Within? So bad he named Sid!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't think there is a deciated megathread for the Mana series, but I bought Adventure of Mana on the Vita, and man I am loving it. The Hud is a little busy due to having the option to use the touch screen still, but it a really great remake of Final Fantasy Adventure. Which is good, because I really hated Sword of Mana, the OTHER remake of that game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Mind going further into how it is? Doubt I'll get to play it myself, and as someone else who also wasn't a fan of Sword I'd love to hear how a second remake of FFA does things better.

Adventure of Mana for the most part a faithful remake of the original GB game with 3D graphics with a new script, but added some quality of life features so it not just a better looking gameboy game. It has the ring system from Secret of Mana for equipping, along with three shortcut buttons to set weapons on, which is useful when you need to cross a gap with the whip and then want to go back to the sword.

Sword of Mana changed things too much, throwing out all the Final Fantasy referneces like the Chocobo, while trying to make the story seem deeper. But trying to change a simple Gameboy plot game made it fall on it's face. There is just so much wrong with the changes to the plot, as it made everything melodramatic, but gets to the point of parody after a while. You give a big speech to avenge your friends to the Dark Lord in the game, but when you fight Julius, you give a big speech to avenge those people, including the Dark Lord and other villain you killed.

Also I didn't really like the art style Sword of Mana had. I never really care for the look from SD3 and on which Sword of Mana now used. Which compared to Adventure of Mana and Secret of Mana more simple style.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Sword of Mana is amazing in that it had all the elements of a good game without actually being one. The story in particular is mind-boggling, between making a character that dies in the first minute of FFA into a major character that survives the entire journey (and makes you wish he stayed dead) to Dark Lord, the main bad guy who ended up being a puppet for second-in-command and final boss Julius into a tragic misunderstood villain who's still an rear end in a top hat that has a random fling with a vampire and who we're supposed to sympathize with because...? And don't get me started on how God drat overwrought Amanda's death is, or how the isolation of the two main characters in FFA's ending is undercut in Sword by having like fifty loving people around.

I just don't loving get that game. I blame Sword of Mana for essentially killing that series, even though the following three games were all differently bizarre and mediocre in their own unique ways.

Yeah I totally agree. Prior to Sword of Mana, the Mana games were generally well liked. Legend of Mana had faults but it was still a fun beat-em-up. But Sword of Mana just really off the rails. Also characters like Dark Lord and Amanda got bought up EVERY SCENE after they died as a reason for the characters to fight the evil. I think they do the big speach to Dark Lord about avenging their friends, he gets murdered by the Jester from SD3, and next fight they include him in the people they want to avenge!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

Now I want a Final Fantasy game themed off Breaking Bad.

If it anything like FFV Chemist, it would be a very easy game to break.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I never seen the stuff they did with the sketch glitch at SGDQ before. I never knew you can just wrap to the World of Ruins using it. I wonder if you can get General Leo over there using the airship glitch?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here hoping what franchises get revived don't end up like Parasite Eve's long awaited sequel. :smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Indecisive posted:

final fantasy mystic quest 2

Wasn't there some unofficial thing that tried to say it was licensed from Square to do a HD remake of the first game and a sequel?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you want to read how bad Third Birthday is, Dark Id Just finished a great LP of it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773967

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

I want a Xenogears remake but only if all the old staff were brought in so that is to say, I guess I don't want a Xenogears remake. I guess companies can work together theoretically, though? Still never gonna happen but it seems about as likely as all these other ideas.

Or as long as we are wishing upon a star, Xenogears Episode IV.

Can this happen, but somehow Reyd and Shulk are party members?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In other news, Nintendo announced a mini NES for US & EU for this fall that retails for $60. It includes 30 games, including Final Fantasy 1!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So America is confirmed to exist in this Final Fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the WoR plot is basically:

Terra wakes up
Getting Terra to the Returners.
The Returners try to get Terra to Narshe.
Oh no! Terra is missing. We have to find her.
We found Terra, now we have to rescue the Espers (including her father)
Terra wakes up, the Returners ask her to talk to the Espers.
She does, the Espers go batshit
Ghestal asks Terra to negotiate a peace treaty with the Espers.
Hahaha, turns out he's a poo poo! Oh no, everything explodes!

Her importance dies off somewhat in the WoR where the plot becomes "kick Kefka in the junk" but even there she's the character with the absolute closest connection to the central plot and the major threat of defeating Kefka ("it will end magic") applies meaningfully only to her.

And I didn't know until I watch a tas, that even if you don't visit Terra in the World of Ruins, she will still show up for the ending.