Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: poo poo LP. Ignore this post.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

It's pretty boring and nobody really wants to read your roleplay log. There's no reason not to have screenshots in and frankly it's not much of an LP if all you're doing is making vague descriptions of your gameplay in text format.

It's already a thin line between weird roleplaying and interesting story when people do SSLPs 'in-character', but this is just flat out roleplaying.

Got you, I see what you mean yeah, the first few were done for a roleplaying site so I can see how that would be a problem, would Screenshots solve the problem or would it still be a bit too much Roleplay, not enough Let's play?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah well, at least this stops me from wasting my time with the thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

I don't want to be a jerk, but I can tell you I'm not interested in this at all and think it's pretty badly done. Just slapping screenshots onto what you've got would not produce a good product. Just because characters like Raiders in Fallout probably talk like this doesn't mean it's interesting to read, and it's just jarring when you say it's supposed to be someone from the Brotherhood.

Basically, your core deal here doesn't even make sense if I step back and take it as just roleplay stuff, and that only gets worse when I consider it against some in-character LPs I've seen here.

No I'd much rather have people be honest with me, and I know I'm not really "there" yet, then to post it and have a bunch of goons say it's poo poo without constructive criticism. Basically, it's the criticism I was looking for.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's less that you're not "there" and more that your chosen format more resembles something that would go on a weird in-character Tumblr than a Let's Play.

Yeah... Like I said, I had a personal journal I used when I played Bethesda Games, and they were cluttering up my Hard Drive, I started a new playthrough of New Vegas, and wondered if anyone would want to read them. The general consensus was "No, no we don't want to read your lovely Roleplays." To be fair, that was the reaction I expected.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: gently caress this sentence.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 21, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

judge reinhold posted:

Is this directed at the Okami guy? Because, honestly, yes, you should be focusing on entertaining your audience.

Good god, that sentence is a train wreck. >_<

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

This might just be me, but those screenshots are gigantic. You can probably cut the resolution on them in half and it'd look much better.

They are also blurry as hell. Also, you used Bot when you mean both.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea how I should feel about this, on one hand I'm disgusted that he would lie about cancer so people would LP his romhack.

On the other hand, I pity him because honestly, who would do that unless they were already friendless and had a very sad life.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proton Jon posted:

Based on what I've seen online, he's 18 or 19, and just started post-secondary this year.

That's...

Sickening.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In your honest opinion, do RTS let's plays work better as screenshots? Or as Videos?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9637

Here's a Test Post, please give me criticism.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 22, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Booga posted:

That video is horrible, even with Starcrafts age it doesn't look that bad. How and what are you encoding/recording it with?

I used Camtasia's Default settings, StarCraft can only run at 640x480 so I'm not sure really what I have to do to improve it. (I'm using Camtasia Studio 8)

Also, thank you for the criticism. This is my first LP and I really want to do well and give this game the treatment it deserves.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

If you're going to copy and paste from Wikipedia at least have the decency to remove the footnotes so it isn't glaringly obvious. Better yet, don't copy and paste from Wikipedia. Write your own, more concise stuff about it. We can visit Wikipedia if we want to read what it has to say.

Mmkay, I wasn't really sure what should go in an OP. I'll change this.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I'll definitely re-write the OP, to be honest I kind of knew I was half assing it at the time. How is the content of the video? Does anyone know how to record 640x480 Resolution and not have it look like poo poo?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

As for your video,

+ Slow Down Scroll Speed

+ State Goal BEFORE doing it

+ Less Jarring ends and beginnings. Cut Tutorial

+ Save Lore for boring bits.

Just so we're clear, these are the things that would make it better? I'm doing post commentary, and I don't think I was really aware of how fast my screen was moving at the time so I can definitely slow that down. Even scrolling to where I'm going instead of using hotkeys.

As for making the endings less Jarring, how would I go about that? Instead of skipping straight to the end, skip to like 30 seconds before the end chat a bit as whatever the objective is runs out? I feel like the later missions when it's not just "build X of Y" and it's actual missions it'll be a lot less choppy. Would fading instead of rough cuts help?

That was post commentary by the way, but I'm definitely going to clean it up a bunch more, I'll have a new post tomorrow after I internalize this and see if I can get the game to record at 800x600 in a window. (Natively it only goes to 640x480 so I can't do much with that. I'm almost wanting to run it on something besides youtube to keep the video as pure as possible. My output looked much cleaner before youtube shat the whole thing up.)

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 22, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

What format are you recording in?

4:3 640x480 EXACTLY, but I just did a very quick test post of 16:9 854x480 with my own bars punched in instead of Youtube's. I've seen a few LP's do this to get around the quality drop that youtube does.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

No, really, I wasn't joking. Don't post MLP anything. There's a reason it's been banned from the forums. It will only cause the worst poo poo in every direction.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I want to quote this for shame so you can't edit it out, but I don't want this trash appearing in my posts.

Don't do this.

I really like that what you say is immediately validated within 5 minutes

Lilli posted:

Avisynth makes it easy enough to add in a few extra pixels of space to make it 16x9, so this is definitely the way to go.

Ok, re-upped video to test the quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EDI7Aa4F0&hd=1

Here is how it looks now.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The Youtube quality drop actually comes from having less than 720 pixel vertical, the horizontal resolution shouldn't matter.

Great now I'm wondering if it ACTUALLY looks better or if I'm being affected by a confirmation bias.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 22, 2012

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[center][/center]

What is this?
This is StarCraft, or at least a Let's Play of it. If you don't know what StarCraft is you're either 14 or 40 and just bought a computer today. In both cases I really recommend you find other pieces of the internet instead of here while you still have your life ahead of you, but if you insist on staying... StarCraft is a game made by Blizzard in the year 1996 famous for revolutionizing the RTS genre. A lot of people (not me,) say gaming wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for Blizzard pushing the line. Most of these people play WoW drink Mountain Dew and are scared of sunlight, but they have opinions and those opinions matter to an extent. StarCraft follows three people from three different species, and watch them try to deal with the issues of war, hunger, and religion. Starcraft also has more then 10 books published, not counting the numerous blog posts, dev tweets, fan vids made cannon, and stuff that was retconned. You'd have to be some sort of freak to follow a series with that much dedication

Who are you? Why Should We Care?

I'm a freak. StarCraft came out when I was 5 years old and it was the fourth game I ever played, (Before that was Reading Blaster, Math Blaster, then Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium,) my Father and I to this day still put in StarCraft every once in a while and play. It's a game that's really had a place in my heart for the longest time, and a game I really want to do justice. You should care because you'll never get "StarCraft the Abridged Version" as accurately, quickly, or with as much passion as I'm putting into this. I'm not sure what really to say more then that. If RTS LP's aren't your bag, or listening to my nasally voice inform you about betrayal, blood lust, and some dude's dead wife then you probably shouldn't watch, but if you loved the second starcraft, or want to get in the series with the full story, then I recommend you follow along. I'll make it a heck of a ride :3:

Latest Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXwTIXAyNw&hd=1

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

-I think it would be a good idea to explain what the enemy unit/structures are and what they do. Someone with no Starcraft background has no idea what the difference is between zerglings and hydralisks.

I feel like this would be better done with a section that explains it. Basically, I throw up a picture of the Units / Buildings above the episode state that they're introduced and what they do. Do you agree? or should I re-do the audio?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. Would you be doing it as text in the post or as video commentary? The only concern I'd have in doing it as video commentary is it might be a bit of a derail in the middle of the mission. Maybe do it at the beginning? "Hey here are the new units/building we're gonna see this mission:..."

As for re-recording, it's your call. I think as it stands right now things are okay. I'd wait a day or so and see if anyone else has any comments though.

I was thinking of adding in a quick clip between the FMV (which I'll try to start every episode with) and the first briefing. I'll welcome the viewers, talk about the new units / buildings, then go to the Episode.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to come back and thank you guys a LOT for your help. I really think you've made it 20x better with your criticism, and the Tech Support guys got me to shrink my files way down. Wish me luck :):

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

judge reinhold posted:

SA may not be the best venue for just straight up huge view numbers, but the base here I think has a better per-capita ratio of funny posters. Take the Yogscast, for an example of the opposite. A lot of their videos get several million views, but if you go by the comments on the videos, a majority of the viewers seem to be borderline brain-dead (which shouldn't be seen as a critique of the Yogscast themselves). This leads me to my next point, I don't think the desire to have an audience should get boiled down to it being solely a popularity contest. When we did the advergame thread, I really enjoyed reading the replies because I felt it attracted a funny viewership base, so in a way, I think desiring an audience is a way for creativity to breed more creativity.

As a person trying to create a quality LP (after my first attempt got shouted down to the point I scrapped it and am starting over.) I agree that I'd much rather know there are 20 people who can post funny poo poo and say funny jokes then 200,000 who are just a number of white noise posters. Maybe that's just me. I also want to educate.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

floor is lava posted:

Hello thread, perhaps you may have not heard of my fantastic lp.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526051

This is wonderful, hilarious and made me laugh so hard I'm coughing up blood a little.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a real bad habit of stuttering and taking somewhat long pauses in my LP's. Even when I do 20 takes and do post commentary, it still sounds very hesitant and weak, what are some tips for sounding more natural?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9933

How can I improve this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it, and prefer the mode off, but I have no idea about others. (I have never played Mirror's Edge before.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also is this image good for a banner?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could easily make it one.

my dad posted:

I'm quoting this post, but I'm going to criticize the test-post.

Your explanation of the game is too much like a GameFAQ text. You're mentioning obscure mechanics like the early morning trade, but haven't explained the concepts that make this game so interesting. In fact, you're not giving us any context for any of the mechanics you are explaining, you're just dumping them on us. And you've given us almost no info about the game itself.

As for the "regular update" part of the post... Too much dialogue, too little game. Put in a screenshot or two of the port in question. Like the "back at the pub" part. Take a screenshot of the bar, both inside and outside. Most people here haven't played the game and haven't got a clue of what it looks like.
You have [] around some pictures, women=/=woman, a crapload of typos (although I really shouldn't be the one to complain about that), extra dialogue isn't really that well done, you aren't explaining a lot of what you're doing, and, well, there's more complaints that boil down to your post being a really shoddy piece of work...

I think you need to rethink your idea of this LP and make a completely new test-post. Just keep in mind that you need to make your LP something that someone might actually want to read. There was a pretty well done LP done by Blarghalt (I think), but sadly I don't have it in my bookmarks and it's probably in the archives by now. If you have archive access, you might want to check it out for ideas.

The banner is OK, though. :shobon:

There is no "inside" places in the Dos version, but you're right about the rest being very lazy I'll re-do it I think but Joao just has so much goddamn exposition before he does anything it's irritating. the [ ] around pictures is the macro I'm using being lovely. (I'll be completely re-doing the test post,) I just am never sure what to put in the OP's and the whole thing is hard enough to keep track of all the dialogue in a game. I use the extra stuff to SNIP a majority of crap that happens (and a bit of exposition at the end because I was bored :shobon:) but let me get it down to bullet points the problems.

- Better OP explain the game more

- Less made up dialogue

- More screenshots of where you are

- General proofreading

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 10, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

Do you plan on having any audience participation? Any type of discussion helps screenshot LPs a lot, since update-heavy pages are a horrible pain to any browser.
Boat naming for the most part, and other small gimmicky things as I can think of them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your banner is table breaking.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey is there any reason SALR would make a post fine, but the LP Test poster doesn't? I want to post a test post for my shadowrun LP, but it seems to be not working?

For some reason this

Looks like unparsed BB-code.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picayune posted:

Probably because it's a .bmp file.

I can't find anything in the OP about .bmp files, does it look unparsed for everyone or just me? My last post looked fine on the forums, but broken in the test poster.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Is there a reason for using uncompressed BMPs? Your little picture is 840kb, when I convert it to lossless PNG it gets packed into 22kb.

BMP is not even an internet standard format so support for it depends on forum and browser software.

E: Ok, that made me sound lazy and stupid. Yes, I can see why making it nearly 10x smaller with no image degradation would be a good thing, and a quick google search pointed me at IfranView. Sometimes I really need to think before typing.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 15, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like the LPix Test poster doesn't like dropbox. :sigh:

Do these images look ok?

They're now PNG's, and much much smaller.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a general guidelines for starting new LP's after finishing old ones? I just finished my Shadowrun LP, (the one for sega,) and now I want to go ahead and do an LP of the one for SNES, I'm building my stuff right now, and I was planning to have a post done by tonight-ish. I was just wondering if this is breaking some sort of guideline.

Unrelated, but I definitely want to thank this thread for teaching me about lpix and rightload, which has made everything do 100x easier. I couldn't believe I was trying to use dropbox to host my pictures :blush:.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Niggurath posted:

It's all really up to what you can handle; there are some people out there that have multiple LP's running at once or immediately start LP's after finishing whatever they have just finished. I would say though that if you're just doing the SNES version of Shadowrun that it'd probably be fine to just stay with the thread you already have rather than starting a new one.

Oh I didn't consider that, The two games are just really different, so I worry about having my OP be about one game then being pointed to a new OP about another game. The two versions are way different, (like Action RPG compared to a Point 'n' Click.) Even though they're different, I should still keep with my old thread?

vvv

Alright, cool thanks.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 3, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the one time I decide to skip the Sand Castle, I have issues.

My images look super blurry in thread. (seen here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557876&pagenumber=1#lastpost)

but when I open them individually they look fine.

They also look fine in my Quick Reply Box, is SALR resizing the images in thread? Or does it seem somewhat blurry to you guys as well?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vilkacis posted:

Format looks good, but the images are still really heavy for what they are. You should easily be able to get them below 100KB. This goes from 315KB to 99 if I just re-save it with irfanview at a quality of 88 (which is about what I've used for my images). Quality 80 gets it down to 75 and the compression is barely noticeable.

For a single image, I doubt anyone would care, but these things become noticeable when you get up to the amount of images you're going to need for a full JRPG - my latest thread has well over 7000 images.

This man speaks truth, when I did my Shadowrun LP's, they both ended up with around 200 pics per post, and I had like 10 or 20 posts per game. People notice these things, and if you don't compress your stuff people will hate you.

Unrelated, I want to start an LP for Cataclysm: DDA They just added Tilesets as part of the kickstarter, and that made me think it was a good time to show off how great the game is. I'd like some criticism, I feel like my writing skills are kind of poo poo / choppy so if I could get some literary tips that'd be rad. I won't be doing like... An RP or anything, I'd like it to be pretty informative so others can get into the game like I am.

So here it is.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15832

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I want to start an LP for Cataclysm: DDA They just added Tilesets as part of the kickstarter, and that made me think it was a good time to show off how great the game is. I'd like some criticism, I feel like my writing skills are kind of poo poo / choppy so if I could get some literary tips that'd be rad. I won't be doing like... An RP or anything, I'd like it to be pretty informative so others can get into the game like I am.

So here it is.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15832

Hey I posted this a couple of days ago, and was wondering if I could get some opinions on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biosterous posted:

Some of your images are way too wide.

Considering that 80% of this picture is just a bunch of grey number signs, you should probably crop out the chaff and just show us the relevant parts.

You have several run-on sentences like this. Try to break it up more.

What's a card? Why is it important? Why do you load up on rocks? I know you explain later, but you might want to make a note of that, just so people don't wonder. Something as simple as "(you'll see why later)" would help.

Talking about the mechanics is good, but talking about the controls isn't. We don't really need to know what buttons you're pressing.

Alright definitely! I was going for informative for people who would want to play themselves, but I can see how that gets annoying. I'll work on the run-on sentences, part of the reason I want to do this is to work on my writing skills, and consistently get better at writing.

I'll do more editting, I can see what you mean with that image. Also the first one, I think I'll add something explaining the interface. I'll re-write everything and throw it back up.

• Locked thread